TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

First off, FL Residents and Power Passholders were blocked this past month. They weren't when Hogsmeade opened back in 2010.

I thought they removed that block two weeks early? Or did I read something wrong?

EDIT - Found it!

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/Annual-Passes/2014-Power-Blockout-Dates.aspx

"UPDATE:

August 1- August 14 blockout dates have been lifted."

Edited by robbalvey

^ To be fair, I've never thought that Disney and Universal are really competition for each other. I think each resort, while there is some crossover, pulls a very different demographic. The same way that in Las Vegas, Excalibur and Bellagio pull a very different demographic. Sure, they are both resorts in the same town, but the people that go to each are there for different reasons, and while there is some crossover, I doubt your average Excalibur guest is spending much time at Bellagio, or vice versa.

Edited by robbalvey

^These are great comparisons, which is also why I thought it was ridiculous that people were trying to say that this new Potter expansion (or anything that Universal does for that matter) was going to have a major impact on Disney's attendance.

Edited by ernierocker

^These are great comparisons, which is also why I thought it was ridiculous that people were trying to say that this new Potter expansion (or anything that Universal does for that matter) was going to have a major impact on Disney's attendance.

Exactly. If anything, the new Potter expansion should have a major impact on UNIVERSAL'S attendance, which is the goal.

The lines for Gringotts are still 200+ minutes on weekends. Are we really being so quick to judge that it's not crowded there? That's 3 hours for a pretty efficient ride system!

Hogwarts Express has been eating people...well...it has a capacity of 3000+ per hour! What's to be expected?

The wait time for Ollivanders (to pick a shop) has decreased...well...there are now 4 showrooms, instead of the single 1 available at Hogsmeade opening.

And about Butterbeer...The number of resort-wide outdoor registers selling a product which is no longer brand new has risen from 2 in June 2010 to 7 including hogsmeade. And that leaves out the Fountain of Fair Fortune or the restaurants. So yes, even with steady demand (unlikely) the wait times should decrease dramatically.

I think that any sentence judging the crowds or merchandise sales for Brand New Diagon Alley+Hogsmeade vs Brand New Hogsmeade need to be taken with a big grain of salt. I'm sure if Minion Mayhem added a second showroom the waits would probably become half as big overnight! And Diagon Alley not only doubles the capacity of Harry Potter, in many ways it triples it.

Finally, HARRY POTTER'S LAST MOVIE WAS IN 2011! The series is losing its popularity!! It is 2014...3 years after the last movie. While in 2010, the Deathly Hallows didn't even come out yet until late 2010. People were excited for the last movies which built excitement for the land. 3 years after the movies, the popularity has dropped in the franchise.

It just seems like Universal overestimated the popularity/demand. It probably didn't help anything that they jacked up prices AND forced people to buy the park-to-park tickets to experience HE. I think the lack of substantial lines for HE even right after opening is proof enough of that.

I know for me personally, most of Universal's attractions don't really appeal to me (much more into coasters than 3D rides). So that being said, knowing that Gringott's isn't really a coaster means that I really have no reason to head back to Universal anytime soon. Transformers to me was a bitter disappointment (Spider-Man is a much better ride IMHO), and none of the coasters are really *that* great to justify the absurd ticket prices. I'm not a HP nut, and honestly even if I was, I don't know that there's enough to do besides just walk around & look at the scenery to make me want to visit Universal again anytime soon.

I'll go back at some point, but it'll probably take a few years (and new attractions) before I'll schedule the trip.

On the other hand, maybe people are just waiting till next summer because they didn't want to get stuck in the ridiculous opening summer crowds like when Hogsmeade opened?

Thanks for the report, Robb. Glad to see crowds are easing up a bit, heading there later in the year so hopefully the queues stay manageable.

I have heard that mid-afternoon is when Diagon Alley starts to slow down a bit - I guess everyone rushes there first and they're mostly done by about lunchtime.

On the merchandise, maybe there's just too much of it, and the films aren't as fresh in people's minds anymore? It looks like a lot of the product is targeted at the Harry Potter superfans, possibly a little too niche or expensive for a GP's souvenir budget.

I kind of like that Knockturn Alley isn't all that busy - seems like somewhere you might "accidentally" come across if you didn't know it was there, which is consistent with the story. This whole part of the park seems like a giant walkthrough attraction in itself.

Did you see anyone using the RFID-enabled wands? I'm curious to know how popular that has been.

Did you see anyone using the RFID-enabled wands? I'm curious to know how popular that has been.

Also, while things like this are really cool, I can't imagine too many people want to pony up the cash for these wands when they already bought the other wands on previous trips. Who needs more than one wand? And is the RFID capability *really* worth the purchase price?

I think that any sentence judging the crowds or merchandise sales for Brand New Diagon Alley+Hogsmeade vs Brand New Hogsmeade need to be taken with a big grain of salt.

I think everything you said makes some very valid points, which is why my report was more about "great to see the craziness die down" and less about "where are all the people?" My report makes the same assumptions you did for the lack of lines (more butterbeer, more wand shops, better capacity, etc), so I think you might be quickly jumping to a defense that's premature.

But the one thing I will say I'm shocked about IS the merchandise sales. End of the day, Diagon Alley is a LOT of shops, and I don't see a lot of bags. I would have to think that's got to be somewhat surprising, right?

They wouldn't have people standing outside the shops trying to get more traffic into them if it wasn't.

Edited by robbalvey

Myself I cannot wait to visit family in Florida most likely next fall. My Uncle is on the maintenance crew for the Gringots ride and found out I can get a behind the scenes tour when I visit but I have to ride the ride first. Understandable! My cousin is one of the managers of security of the resort. So you can tell my favorite resort is the Universal Parks. Last few times I visited I spent time at the Disney Parks I feel I am getting to old for those parks. Universal Parks are more fitting for me. I cannot wait until next year.

But the one thing I will say I'm shocked about IS the merchandise sales. End of the day, Diagon Alley is a LOT of shops, and I don't see a lot of bags. I would have to think that's got to be somewhat surprising, right?

They wouldn't have people standing outside the shops trying to get more traffic into them if it wasn't.

Truth! I agree with the above poster that it all really functions as the world's greatest walk-through attraction. A lot of the new stuff in the shops for Diagon is really nerdy and book-specific for sure. And expensive as hell, I've always wanted the Bertie Bott's Every Flavor beans they sell but at 12.99 for a quarter pound of Jelly Bellies I've never bitten that bullet. I'd have to imagine the interactive wands and clothing are selling well though.

I'd have to imagine the interactive wands and clothing are selling well though.

Yeah, I'd say that every time I've been, those are the shops that seem to have the most traffic and it's the one thing I see more people with.

You are right. You dont have to eyeball how many people are carrying shopping bags, if you know any TMs just ask them...the stores are underperforminhg in a sense. Many stores in Diagon have yet to meet their projected goals for the summer from what Ive heard. Thats not to say the place is a failure, but youre spot on about merch sales being less than stellar. I have no idea why, but oversaturation seems to play a part, as do prices and the fact that Hogsmeade has already had great Potter merch available for four years.

I also love your analogy about Disney/Universal being like Bellagio/Excalibur. I hate when people seem to think what one does has to "kill" the other or have some sort of effect. In a market like Orlando, these two mega-resorts build off each other if anything.

I also love your analogy about Disney/Universal being like Bellagio/Excalibur. I hate when people seem to think what one does has to "kill" the other or have some sort of effect. In a market like Orlando, these two mega-resorts build off each other if anything.

Exactly. In fact, in the history of the parks here, has there EVER been a time where what one park did negatively impacted another? If anything I think it's the exact opposite.

Kind of along the same lines, I remember the ex-GM of Knott's Berry Farm telling me YEARS ago... "Whenever Disneyland builds a new attraction, it's like WE built a new attraction! There are more people in the area visiting Disneyland because of their new build, and we get a nice bump simply because there are more people looking for entertainment and theme park options."

I would have to imagine to some degree that same philosophy applies in Orlando.

Edited by robbalvey

Exactly. In fact, in the history of the parks here, has there EVER been a time where what one park did negatively impacted another?

I dont think so. The whole idea of Hunger Games-level competition between Disney and Universal was made up by fanboys and lives on because of people who have some weird obsession with one resort over the other and nothing better to do with their time. Disney is probably a big part of what kept Universal alive when they werent doing so well right before Potter. And Universal's additions are also going to increase traffic to Disney. Bottom line...Diagon Alley is freakin awesome and its great for everybody

The whole idea of Hunger Games-level competition between Disney and Universal was made up by fanboys and lives on because of people who have some weird obsession with one resort over the other and nothing better to do with their time.

This is spot on. Most of the "Disney killer" comments I've read were on a different site where pretty much everybody absolutely hates Disney and worships Universal. Both resorts will see an increase in attendance due to SDMT and Diagon Alley opening.

Anyways, back to topic. I think the main reason crowds are dying down a lot earlier than expected is that schools seem to be starting earlier than ever this year. I mean, in St. Louis most schools either started today or start tomorrow. And it isn't easy trying to get home from a vacation and then have only a day or so to prepare for the start of school.

Also, I have to agree that the popularity of the franchise is dying down. Other YA series are starting to become more and more popular, and a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Harry Potter. However, with the Harry Potter spinoff films coming up soon, the franchise be reintroduced to a whole new generation.

The whole idea of Hunger Games-level competition between Disney and Universal was made up by fanboys and lives on because of people who have some weird obsession with one resort over the other and nothing better to do with their time.

This is spot on. Most of the "Disney killer" comments I've read were on a different site where pretty much everybody absolutely hates Disney and worships Universal. Both resorts will see an increase in attendance due to SDMT and Diagon Alley opening.

Anyways, back to topic. I think the main reason crowds are dying down a lot earlier than expected is that schools seem to be starting earlier than ever this year. I mean, in St. Louis most schools either started today or start tomorrow. And it isn't easy trying to get home from a vacation and then have only a day or so to prepare for the start of school.

Also, I have to agree that the popularity of the franchise is dying down. Other YA series are starting to become more and more popular, and a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Harry Potter. However, with the Harry Potter spinoff films coming up soon, the franchise be reintroduced to a whole new generation.

While Im not sure that Harry Potters popularity will ever completely die, I do agree that the timing (with a July opening and schools starting early) probably has a lot to do with it. I mean most people plan their vacations way ahead of time, and yet the opening date was announced, what, two weeks beforehand? That doesnt give people enough time to plan, and even if it did, July 8 only gives people a month of viable summer vacation time. It will be interesting to see how crowds are during the off-season, and Im sure Christmas will be insane. Next summer could get pretty busy too.

I couldn't agree more, even if they kept the area as is, no HHN makeovers or added gore or anything like that.

I understand that Rowling doesn't want to have any changes and that's all well and good, but to not allow the newest area of the park to not be open during their busiest time? Silly.

Oh well, HHN is still shaping up to be something amazing and looks like at Noon today we will be getting the Thanksgiving themed house announcement based of their tease of "#Stuffing" yesterday.