TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 620: "The Horrors of Blumhouse" HHN house announced!

The ride system is fantastic and the "coaster" sections are indeed short like Robb said but they pack a punch for the first time.

Wow! Great pictures! I did just want to clear something up, though - There really is only one "coaster section" in the ride. The first one. That's the only time it really uses gravity to propel the ride vehicle. All the other places that are you moving along it's not "coasting", but is powered and controlled as the car moves along the track much like Spider-Man or Indiana Jones is. It goes fast (or more like briskly) in other places, but it's not actually "coasting" in the same way Test Track, while it's going 60+MPH, is not actually "coasting."

Just wanted to make that clear!

Thanks for the update! Great stuff!

What about the second tilt drop? Isn't that a coaster section also? Felt like it to me.

^ Huh? What second tilt drop? There was one. At the beginning. When you first enter the vaults. There was no second tilt drop. Everything after that is all motion vehicle movements. There are a couple of sections where it moves quickly along the track, but it's all powered, no "coasting" the rest of the way.

Edited by robbalvey

^ Huh? What second tilt drop? There was one. At the beginning. When you first enter the vaults. There was no second tilt drop. Everything after that is all motion vehicle movements. There are a couple of sections where it moves quickly along the track, but it's all powered, no "coasting" the rest of the way.

I don't think I imagined the second tilt drop and neither did our carful of screaming riders; it's about 2/3rds of the way through after the rotations -- unless it's just a DOF sim effect but the whole car tilts down again (I was in row 5) and we were definitely high above the front of the train.

^ I have no idea what a DOF sim effect is, but all I know is that I was paying way more attention to how much of the ride was a "coaster" and less about the story when I rode it, and I saw *ONE* coaster section at the beginning and everything else was motion sim effects.

Are you talking about the scene with the bald guy and the witch chick with the electric bolts where the screen opened up and the car went through? That was not a coaster. That was a motion sim effect.

All of the people in our car were screaming too during all the non-coaster sections that were fast. But I only felt one coaster section.

^ I have no idea what a DOF sim effect is, but all I know is that I was paying way more attention to how much of the ride was a "coaster" and less about the story when I rode it, and I saw *ONE* coaster section at the beginning and everything else was motion sim effects.

Are you talking about the scene with the bald guy and the witch chick with the electric bolts where the screen opened up and the car went through? That was not a coaster. That was a motion sim effect.

All of the people in our car were screaming too during all the non-coaster sections that were fast. But I only felt one coaster section.

I was focused on the whole experience and not on coaster vs non coaster elements as you were so I'll have to ride again. DOF sim is my shorthand for 6 degrees of freedom motion sim effects which a high tilt would require (similar to Star Tours); accomplishing a steep motion sim tilt on a flat or slightly tilted coaster track would unleash a lot of force on the mechanical elements so if that's what they're doing that's quite a technological achievement.

I was focused on the whole experience and not on coaster vs non coaster elements as you were so I'll have to ride again. DOF sim is my shorthand for 6 degrees of freedom motion sim effects which a high tilt would require (similar to Star Tours); accomplishing a steep motion sim tilt on a flat or slightly tilted coaster track would unleash a lot of force on the mechanical elements so if that's what they're doing that's quite a technological achievement.

Gringotts ride system is levels above FJ in terms of complexity. Were just gonna leave it at that.

Great pics and report from opening day. I can't wait to visit again, it looks awesome! I wonder if they plan to add on more to Diagon Alley. It just seems small when compared to Islands of Adventures The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Great pics and report from opening day. I can't wait to visit again, it looks awesome! I wonder if they plan to add on more to Diagon Alley. It just seems small when compared to Islands of Adventures The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

It's actually larger than Hogsmeade from what I understand.

It's actually larger than Hogsmeade from what I understand.

Maybe it is, but ride wise, it lacks. It could use another coaster.

Interesting that the current wait for Gringotts about 20 minutes ago was 100 minutes compared to the super long 450 minutes yesterday. Well, that is assuming that the tweets and wait time apps are correct.

One of my buds on FB, also a member here, is live-updating from the line. He's been in line for over 5 hours and still isn't even inside the building.

Tweets and wait time apps are LIES!

^^With the expansion of the Wizarding World, we are seeing a new innovative ride from the Escape of Gringotts that I am almost certain has a ride building bigger than that of the Forbidden Journey. Also, we have the new inclusion of the Hogwarts Express. This with many different shops and interactive experiences in the world, I wouldn't say that it lacks in rides. The Hogsmeade area already had Dragon Challenge (Dueling Dragons before) and Flight of the Hippogriff (Flying Unicorn). They just received the Harry Potter theme. Diagon Alley is most certainly bigger, with more detail and greater experiences. So while there are more rides in the Hogsmeade area, Diagon Alley definitely doesn't lack at all.

Interesting that the current wait for Gringotts about 20 minutes ago was 100 minutes compared to the super long 450 minutes yesterday. Well, that is assuming that the tweets and wait time apps are correct.

One of my buds on FB, also a member here, is live-updating from the line. He's been in line for over 5 hours and still isn't even inside the building.

Tweets and wait time apps are LIES!

Yeah, where did you hear it's 100 minutes? I haven't heard that at all today, in fact someone just posted to Twitter that the wait time is posted at 300 minutes.

^ If there's one thing I've learned it's that all of the crowd forecasts and live reports are not to be trusted. Sure, sometimes they're spot on, but by the same token they can't predict the future. For instance, take my last visit to the Disneyland Resort in early May. Everything I had looked at pointed to the place being a complete ghost town. It was the time between spring break and summer vacation, kids were in school, right? Wrong, big time. Both days the parks were hugely packed and lines were quite long all around in both parks. Luckily we know our way around Fastpass and single rider lines so the trip was still fun as we managed to get on everything that wasn't shut down (that's a whole other story), but compared to our trip in mid-September last year where the parks actually were empty it was a bit of a disappointment. We're talking going from riding Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy about 15 times in one day to riding twice. Not just Space Mountain, but every ride. September was incredible, May was fun but still annoying, haha.

Just goes to show that anything can happen whenever.

^May is during Magic Music Days at DLR when tons of music ensembles from schools descend upon the parks, but that's a different discussion for a different thread, I guess.

Certainly glad to hear the expansion is all it was hyped up to be. Maybe one of these years we'll make it to Orlando...

^^With the expansion of the Wizarding World, we are seeing a new innovative ride from the Escape of Gringotts that I am almost certain has a ride building bigger than that of the Forbidden Journey. Also, we have the new inclusion of the Hogwarts Express. This with many different shops and interactive experiences in the world, I wouldn't say that it lacks in rides. The Hogsmeade area already had Dragon Challenge (Dueling Dragons before) and Flight of the Hippogriff (Flying Unicorn). They just received the Harry Potter theme. Diagon Alley is most certainly bigger, with more detail and greater experiences. So while there are more rides in the Hogsmeade area, Diagon Alley definitely doesn't lack at all.

Well said.

September was incredible, May was fun but still annoying, haha.

That's always/usually The Best Time of The Year for me to travel to parks and resorts in the USA.

September. Most kids and teenagers are back in school, so the numbers in major parks do

drop dramatically, IMhO.

That's why we're also hitting Paris Disney next year, in September. Same thing there with school

and such. And it's all a mid-week visit too. Arrive and leave before the weekends. Also with

Amsterdam and Paris, proper, thrown into the tour, lol.

Edited by Nrthwnd

This actually brings up a VERY interesting point. To someone who is a "casual" Potter fan (maybe seen some of the movies, but not all, etc...) who maybe likes it enough to check out the lands, but not enough to, let's say buy a wand, and has never been to Universal before, not knowing that all those rides in Hogsmede were there before Potter, does Diagon Alley all of a sudden seem "light" on things to do?

Just throwing that out there and thinking about things from your "average" guest perspective, not your die-hard Potter fan.

Thoughts?

^^ Agreed about mid-September as far as SFOG goes from my experience. The heavy humidity of August has started to calm down, kids are back in school, people are consumed with SEC football on Saturday, and the Halloween fest hasn't started yet. It's a ride fest.

This actually brings up a VERY interesting point. To someone who is a "casual" Potter fan (maybe seen some of the movies, but not all, etc...) who maybe likes it enough to check out the lands, but not enough to, let's say buy a wand, and has never been to Universal before, not knowing that all those rides in Hogsmede were there before Potter, does Diagon Alley all of a sudden seem "light" on things to do?

Just throwing that out there and thinking about things from your "average" guest perspective, not your die-hard Potter fan.

Thoughts?

I certainly agree with you on the "average" guest perspective. I believe that Universal was simply trying to create the ultimate Harry Potter experience as the characters lived and breathed in the films. I feel with Diagon Alley, which does host one mind-blowing new ride system which I am sure cost a lot, Universal stuck with creating the land as it was in the movies rather than adding a bunch of rides themed to Harry Potter. There were some posts a long way back when someone stated how Universal could have added a ton of rides with not much theming and just slap the Harry Potter name in it and it would be a hit. Universal, however, focused on bringing the movie series to life to experience. Thus allowing the creation of the new ride systems as what the characters actually experienced in the film (Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express, Diagon Alley), creating new shops to buy what the characters bought, bring in new food items like the characters had, and actually believe that you are in Harry Potter. So while Universal didn't add a lot of rides to Diagon Alley, I simply think it is better that they didn't. We now have Gringotts and many world-class additions that I think Universal did a great job in bringing the movies to life.

Thoughts?

I certainly agree with you on the "average" guest perspective. I believe that Universal was simply trying to create the ultimate Harry Potter experience as the characters lived and breathed in the films. I feel with Diagon Alley, which does host one mind-blowing new ride system which I am sure cost a lot, Universal stuck with creating the land as it was in the movies rather than adding a bunch of rides themed to Harry Potter. There were some posts a long way back when someone stated how Universal could have added a ton of rides with not much theming and just slap the Harry Potter name in it and it would be a hit. Universal, however, focused on bringing the movie series to life to experience. Thus allowing the creation of the new ride systems as what the characters actually experienced in the film (Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express, Diagon Alley), creating new shops to buy what the characters bought, bring in new food items like the characters had, and actually believe that you are in Harry Potter. So while Universal didn't add a lot of rides to Diagon Alley, I simply think it is better that they didn't. We now have Gringotts and many world-class additions that I think Universal did a great job in bringing the movies to life.

To add to this, I think when Disney was approached with the idea of Harry Potter they only wanted to add some rides and slap the Harry Potter name on it, but that's not what JK Rowling and WB wanted to do and why they ultimately went with Universal. Universal took the initiative and created an immersive world that was built up to certain standards. Universal has always been about immersing yourself into the movie world, and if walking into Diagon Alley or MIB or Transformers doesn't do that for you then I don't know what will.

To add to this, I think when Disney was approached with the idea of Harry Potter they only wanted to add some rides and slap the Harry Potter name on it, but that's not what JK Rowling and WB wanted to do and why they ultimately went with Universal.

Where did you hear that? I highly doubt that is what Disney would've done, I'm sure they would've put just as much detail into the area as Universal did. I'm pretty sure the reason Disney declined the project was because JK Rowling is freaking crazy when it comes to her precious Potter franchise.

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread