TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Slashfilm also has a VERY interesting article with a few more details:

http://www.slashfilm.com/harry-potter-and-the-escape-from-gringotts-secrets/#more-232795

I took note of this part, though:

The Unexpected Second Ride in This Attraction: The Gringotts Elevators

The Gringotts ride is not the only ride guests will take inside this attraction. Guests will board a set of elevators which will take them down “30,000 feet to the subterranean Gringotts vaults.” Gilmore says these elevators are a ride in themselves:

Thats a very cool trick that Universal has designed with the filmmakers — where you actually ride elevators. They are really cool elevators, and thats a really cool show in its own right. You arrive in a little station in the caverns where you board your car.

That description of the elevators and the boarding area could be word for word how I would describe Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea. Not that that's a bad thing, but I guess I hope it plays out a bit more "original" and different than that, you know?

And Universal now seems to be backing off on calling it a "roller coaster"

Don’t Call It a Roller Coaster — Its a Completely New Ride System

12 guests will board a car on tracks for the four-minute long Harry Potter and Escape from Gringotts ride, but Universal Orlando officials are refusing to call the attraction a “roller coaster.”

Its a new system, it replicates the tracks below Gringotts from the movie — you feel like you’re on those tracks spiraling around. Because the ride is fully 3D, the scenery is very big in this one, the 3D screens are much bigger than normal, so its a new way to pass through a ride. Its a whole new system. You can go very quickly. You go various speeds, and there are scenes and you pick up many moments from the story. When you’re going at high speeds it can be very exciting. The whole thing is quite new.

The ride also features new projector technology and a nearly 360-degree screen which will help immerse riders in the story at one point.

Edited by robbalvey

I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Even if it isn't an amazing coaster, theme and effects will make it an interesting ride. Animatronics looks great, and I love the ride trains. I really like what Universal is doing lately, even if Harry Potter isn't my favorite franchise.

I don't know what any of that means, but the detail looks to be impressive again.

Same. I have no clue as to what I just watched on the trailer, but it looks pretty interesting.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d3c2947eee8f9fdca3243ddb7e0da90a.JPG

Absolutely love this response!

I'm sure this will be hugely successful and Universal will rake in the cash. At least the next rumored major expansion should involve dinosaurs!

And a giant monkey!

From what I've heard, The next expansion will be time for Kidtums to say goodbye to Barney and Curious George (I'm saying Woody Woodpecker's KidZone is gonna be revamped/rethemed) I would guess Despicable Me but the simulator is nowhere near it.

From what I've heard, The next expansion will be time for Kidtums to say goodbye to Barney and Curious George (I'm saying Woody Woodpecker's KidZone is gonna be revamped/rethemed) I would guess Despicable Me but the simulator is nowhere near it.

To be fair, KT doesn't even know who Barney is and only knows Curious George a little bit! Probably is time for an update! I would love to see a Yo Gabba Gabba land, but that may be a bit selfish.

Now with the ride vehicle picture, does anyone know if the two cars of three rows be connected or is it just two cars in the loading platform like Spider-Man?

From the article we quoted a few pages back:

The dark coaster ride takes about four minutes and each car fits 12 people.

To be fair, KT doesn't even know who Barney is and only knows Curious George a little bit! Probably is time for an update! I would love to see a Yo Gabba Gabba land, but that may be a bit selfish.

With Guest Appearances by Leslie Hall!!

I just guessed that Kidzone would be the area she would know the most. Personally, I'd love a Madagascar Themed Area. The ET Ride could be re-themed into Madagascar with new cars. Problem is there isn't really food in the Madagascar films which breaks Universals recent trend of having themed food.

A Madagascar themed area would make a perfect fit. Very kid friendly and tons of space to rework several of the existing rides into rethemed attractions. IMHO the Universal side could use a water ride now that Jaws is gone, so a themed log flume over in that area of the park would be awesome. Just don't know if they have the room for it over there.

^My thoughts exactly! I believe a Madagascar area would be perfect. There should be a water ride that isn't like the one in Singapore though. This one needs drops and such. A water ride similar to Splash Mountain would be perfect. You could retheme Woody Woodpecker easily, a new show, new restaurant, etc. I believe a Madagascar land would be perfect!

Madagascar or Shrek, really. They could get away with Far Far Away or Madagascar and I'm sure it would be a hit with kids.

Either way, I think it's time to retire Shrek up front. Everything else along that stretch (minus Twister, but that's still pretty cool) has been switched up and made new, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave that soundstage a new lease on life with a new ride (Fast and Furious? Godzilla?) with a new system instead of the horrid one that's in there now.

Busch Gardens/Sea World got the North America rights to Madagascar from Universal. The characters used to be in USF but now there is a show at BGT.

The only rumors everything past ET and Animal Actors will be leveled for a major thrill ride, probably Fast and the Furious. Also that Universal has no interest in renewing the Shrek license. They could level the Shrek building and put Super Silly Fun Land there featuring a relocated Woody Woodpecker Coaster.

Surprised they haven't made Nickelodeon refurbish since Spongebob, Dora and TMNT would make good additions to the park.

The only rumors everything past ET and Animal Actors will be leveled for a major thrill ride, probably Fast and the Furious. Also that Universal has no interest in renewing the Shrek license. They could level the Shrek building and put Super Silly Fun Land there featuring a relocated Woody Woodpecker Coaster.

I could see SSFL going right there across the street, though I doubt they would relocate Woody - they'd just need to tie it in to whatever that area gets. Fast and Furious next door? Call it...Quick and Kinda Angry.

Also that Universal has no interest in renewing the Shrek license. They could level the Shrek building and put Super Silly Fun Land there featuring a relocated Woody Woodpecker Coaster.

I don't know much about Universal as I've only been there once (earlier this year) but isn't it more likely that they'd just put something else in the same theater since it can probably be converted to show anything they want it to? I don't think they'd have any reason to remove the building.