TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I'm still surprised that she'd be ok with the train going backwards for a journey each time since I can't remember it doing that in the books/movies at all, i'm assuming that's how it will work since the behind the scenes photos have only shown 2 locomotives so I doubt there is one on both ends of the 2 trains.

Edited by Garet

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/tourism-central/os-thanks-to-potter-and-prime-attendance-and-spending-is-still-climbing-at-univerasl-orlando-20140128,0,7345702.post

Attendance and visitor spending continued to climb at Universal Orlando during the final three months of 2013, powered by the combined might of Harry Potter and Optimus Prime.

Comcast Corp. announced Tuesday morning that fourth-quarter revenue at its theme parks jumped 8.8 percent, to $566 million from $520 million a year ago. The company credited improved results at both of its U.S. resorts – the two-park Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood in Southern California.

Operating cash flow at Universal Parks & Resorts, which also earns licensing fees from overseas Universal Studios theme parks, rose 4.6 percent, to $257 million from $245 million.

For the year, Comcast’s theme-park revenue operating cash flow rose 5.3 percent to $1 billion on sales that leapt 7.2 percent to $2.2 billion. The company said its biggest draw continues to be the nearly four-year-old Wizarding World of Harry Potter, as well as a pair of Transformers thrill rides – one of which opened last summer at Universal Studios Florida.

Comcast expects even bigger gains this year, as it will open a second Potter themed land in Orlando by this summer. Spending on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley helped drive NBCUniversal’s total capital spending to $1.2 billion in 2013, a nearly $400 million increase from 2012.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/blogs/theme-park-rangers/os-universal-orlando-cabana-bay-resort-20140127,0,7502620.post

A colorful new hotel is under construction -- and catching the eyes of I-4 motorists -- at Universal Orlando. Cabana Bay Beach Resort, modeled after motels of the mid-20th century, will open the first 600 of its 1,600 rooms to the public on March 31. In the meantime, here are five things to know about Cabana Bay:

1. The distinctly retro sign has been erected at the entrance, which will be accessible from Adventure Way, which connects Interstate 4 and Hollywood Way on Universal property. Below the name of the hotel is a subtitle of sorts: "Color TV & Cold Air."

2. The rooms are divided into five similar looking buildlings. To alleviate confusion, signage in distinctive script top each one. Around the north courtyard are Starlight, Thunderbird and Castway. On the south side will be Americana and Continental. The structures are named for iconic hotels of the era, says Russ Dagon, executive project director.

3. Although the vibe is certainly 1950s and 1960s, Universal just couldn't make the pool an old-school rectangle, Dagon says. "You can't get away with that anymore," he says. The pool in the north courtyard is about 10,000 square feet and surrounded by 17 rentable cabanas. There will also be a beach area featuring outdoor ping=pong and pool tables, food trucks, a picnic area, fire pits and the Atomic Tonic pool bar. The south side will have Universal's first hotel lazy river. A formidable ramp leads from the pool area to the second level of the lobby building, home of the 10-lane bowling alley, fitness center and Starbucks.

4. The 600 units opening in March are suites that can sleep four adults. They have identical set-ups. Guests step right in to the kitchenette-ette (microwave, mini-refrigerator, small sink and counter), which is next to the living area with chairs, flat-screen TV and orange couch that converts into a queen-size bed. Behind the TV is a panel that divides the sleeping area and living area and its two beds. A sliding door inside that panel closes the two spaces off completely. The bathroom is divided into three spaces (toilet, sink, sink and shower).

5. That giant dive tower back in the pool area? Dream on. It's not for diving, although it might have been in the old days. It's for decoration (the 4-foot deep water was a clue). But water tumbles from it (think waterfall) and a slide runs through the concrete structure.

Spending on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley helped drive NBCUniversal’s total capital spending to $1.2 billion in 2013, a nearly $400 million increase from 2012.

What is really impressive is that $1.2 billion might equal the entire total GE spent on the parks the whole time they owned them!

Aside from Potter and Transformers at USH, they basically added a bunch of low budget attractions to the parks.

Is it bad that I was way more excited for Transformers, than for either of the Harry Potter expansions? I rode Transformers like 5 times and after I rode all the rides in Potterland, I was done with the area. I will say that, regardless if frozen or liquid, the butter beer was amazing!

I hope that the new Diagon Alley rides are more inviting to the non-fan boys, unlike Forbidden Journey which was super disorienting and confusing. Also, it's a shame to hear that it looks like the new area will have the same crowd issues.

^I was pleasantly surprised by Transformers, as well--nearly as good as Spider-man, and better than Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

I agree that Butterbeer is pretty good, too.

Edited by cfc

Is it bad that I was way more excited for Transformers, than for either of the Harry Potter expansions? I rode Transformers like 5 times and after I rode all the rides in Potterland, I was done with the area. I will say that, regardless if frozen or liquid, the butter beer was amazing!

I hope that the new Diagon Alley rides are more inviting to the non-fan boys, unlike Forbidden Journey which was super disorienting and confusing. Also, it's a shame to hear that it looks like the new area will have the same crowd issues.

I don't think so. I do agree with you on your Diagon Alley comment. We never watched Harry Potter or read the books during all the hype. We ended up watching movies 1-3 before our first trip to Universal and the rest before our second trip to Universal. Unfortunately the movies turned my wife and daughter into fans. Fortunately I had the background information that I needed to understand the area and rides. It would be nice if you didn't have to watch the movies to understand WWoHP.

While not a Potter fan, I am looking forward to the Diagon Alley expansion. I appreciate how Universal has stepped up and is trying to take their parks to the next level. I am equally excited to ride Transformers since it was still under construction during our last visit.

I had half a dozen butter beers during a trip in 2012. They were free since I was there for a private party when the park was closed to the public. They also let us ride Pteranodon Flyers so I have that credit. All the food was free so I ate my way around the park. That was the best time ever.

Sitting in Antojitos at the moment. Just finished some excellent duck tacos. Probably the best duck and best tacos I've ever had. The side of rice and beans were also excellent. The restaurant itself is a little weird looking inside, but if all the food is this good, I'll be here often.

PS: AP Discounts FTW!

So did anyone else have the chance to try Warm Butterbeer? I honestly wasn't a huge fan. I mean it tasted good, but the way people were praising it on Twitter, you would have thought it was liquid sex. Don't get me wrong, I love the Butterbeer topping, (which I'm pretty sure they've been messing around with, it seems like the foam continues to expand the longer it sits), but the warm drink itself was basically just milk, butterscotch, and marshmallow. Really just a latte without the espresso. It tasted faintly of the other two styles, but the fact that it was only served lukewarm was kind of annoying and puts it at the bottom of the WWoHP exclusive drinks, (after Pumpkin Fizz, both Butterbeers, and Pumpkin Juice).

I thought the Frozen Butterbeer I had was a little too sweet for my tastes (which is weird since I love sweet stuff), but I could drink LeFou's Brew all day long.

Either way I am excited to see how Diagon Alley turns out. However I am not excited to see the lines when I eventually make it there.

I had half a dozen butter beers during a trip in 2012.

How's the diabetes treating you?

Hehe - they were smaller than the standard size that you get. They looked like around 8 ounces instead of the usual 12 or so.

So did anyone else have the chance to try Warm Butterbeer? I honestly wasn't a huge fan.

I have not and I'm not sure I would want to. I can't think of any way that would taste good except *maybe* with a double shot of rum.

So did anyone else have the chance to try Warm Butterbeer? I honestly wasn't a huge fan.

I have not and I'm not sure I would want to. I can't think of any way that would taste good except *maybe* with a double shot of rum.

Mmmmmm! That is a drink I would gladly buy.

OMG we're only One Year away from..... The Future!

This was in it's first opening months when we visited Florida

(and eventually Louisiana for Mardi Gras) just before

Spring Break in 1987.

Such a nice smooth ride back then.

OMG we're only One Year away from..... The Future!

This was in it's first opening months when we visited Florida

(and eventually Louisiana for Mardi Gras) just before

Spring Break in 1987.

Such a nice smooth ride back then.

Ummmmm, the park didn't open until June, 1990...

^ Oops. Sorry, messing up my years again

1991 was the visit to Universal. 1987 was only to

WDW, and it was just the MK and EPCOT. 1991 added

the (then) Disney/MGM Studios, and Muppets 4D was just

soft opening. We did only the Studios and EPCOT, that visit.

Think I got it right now, thanks.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Mardi-Gras/Live-Concerts.aspx

Mardi Gras Grand Celebration Lineup

Feb 8 Daughtry

Feb 15 Barenaked Ladies

Feb 16 Thomas Rhett

Feb 22 Robin Thicke

Mar 1 Collective Soul

Mar 8 Prince Royce

Mar 14 Cody Simpson

Mar 15 Foreigner

Mar 21 A Great Big World

Mar 22 Gavin Degraw

Mar 28 To Be Announced

Mar 29 Weezer

Apr 5 Skillet

Apr 12 Lynyrd Skynyrd

Apr 19 Kool & The Gang

May 3 Nelly

May 10 The Wanted

May 17 To Be Announced

May 24 To Be Announced

May 31 Huey Lewis And The News

Edited by jedimaster1227

I had a chance to eat at Antojitos the day it opened.

I'm one of the few who doesn't hate the exterior of the building. I think if they would have just stuck with a plain brown facade, it would have looked pretty boring looking. Not saying I love the way it looks now, but I don't find it revolting like most.

The patio outside is great, and I'm sure it will be packed on those beautiful summer nights. Right now, though, it's been a little cold to sit out there. When I visited, it was pouring and the ground was really slick; saw quite a few people almost eat it. I didn't get a chance to see the VW Bus out front, but it should balance out the view from the front.

The restaurant interior is a trip. The walls are adorned with all kinds of art, from graffiti to traditional Mexican landscapes. It's not my favorite looking inside, but I can't say it's not great to look at. I was seated on the main level in the back of the dining room near the stage. Never saw any activity on it, but I'm sure they'll put it to good use.

My waiter was very helpful throughout the meal, although I couldn't help noticing how god awful their costumes were. Short sleeve white button ups, with embroidered blue trim, under a denim jacket...... They would have been ugly in the 90s. Didn't affect his service though. He kept my drink full, and refilled my chip basket a couple times. The chips themselves were fairly decent, a little under salted for my taste, but they were brought out hot and fresh. The salsa on the other hand was a bit of a letdown. I liked the abundance of cilantro, but I'm not a huge fan of their liquidy style. I much prefer ones like the corn salsa at Chipotle, light on liquid, and lots of chunks. This was just too mushy for me.

This is where my issues with the place end. I chose the Duck Tacos as my entree, deciding to try something a little outside the box. They came out after a very short wait, and the plating was excellent. Three tacos stood up in a rack, with a miniature cast iron pot and lid holding the rice and beans. Even better than the presentation, was the taste. I wouldn't call myself an expert in Mexican food, but each item was the best version I've ever had. The rice, beans, duck, and the tacos themselves were all out of this world. Seasoned and sauced really well, the tacos were pretty small, but filled with mostly meat, and the rice and bean combo was outstanding for something I wouldn't usually order.

I can't wait to get back here and try some more things on the menu. I've heard nothing but good things from other reviews, which is just making me more excited. And the price makes it easy to justify coming back. I think I paid around $20 for the tacos, a soda, and three boats of chips and salsa.