TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I wholeheartedly disagree on two things:

1. We did learn new stuff: Knockturn alley should have some killer new villainous merchandise for everyone. Not to mention the renderings of what London facade/diagon will actually look like. I grow more excited.

2. The coaster name ain't bad. Stop complaining. It is perfectly in line with anything from potter and is also descriptive for the average guest. Puhleeze.

How could anyone not be excited about this? They debuted (at worst top 3) the best dark ride in the world, arguably the best and most detailed themed land in the world (and unarguably best in the USA), and some of the very best unique merchandising items in the world with the last HP expansion, and now they're completing the whole thing with a bigger phase 2. I'm so excited to still have my seasonal status from HHN 2013 attractions so I can go to any employee previews for this.

And did we mention that this expansion will probably end up funding a Wet N Wild mega refurb or a third park? It's all good news.

1. We did learn new stuff: Knockturn alley should have some killer new villainous merchandise for everyone. Not to mention the renderings of what London facade/diagon will actually look like. I grow more excited.

2. The coaster name ain't bad. Stop complaining. It is perfectly in line with anything from potter and is also descriptive for the average guest. Puhleeze.

How could anyone not be excited about this? They debuted (at worst top 3) the best dark ride in the world, arguably the best and most detailed themed land in the world (and unarguably best in the USA), and some of the very best unique merchandising items in the world with the last HP expansion, and now they're completing the whole thing with a bigger phase 2. I'm so excited to still have my seasonal status from HHN 2013 attractions so I can go to any employee previews for this.

And did we mention that this expansion will probably end up funding a Wet N Wild mega refurb or a third park? It's all good news.

1. I can't complain about the Knockturn Alley announcement, it should be pretty cool.

2. "Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts" is a pretty bad ride name. I think it is too long and would've been better if they had simply named it "Escape from Gringotts". That's just my opinion though.

3. I feel like most of the merchandise at the original HP land is straight of out a Harry Potter merchandise catalog. Every once in a while one will come in a dvd case and every thing from HP land is in there. There are a few original items, but most are for sale in other places.

While the name "Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts" does not come trippingly off the tongue, it does go along with the names of the novels and movies (as in "Harry Potter and the Fill in the Blank").

I'm waiting for Universal to Make "Abbott and Costello Meet the Young Wizard, Harry Potter, in the Deadly Hallows."

Edited by cfc

While the name "Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts does not come trippingly off the tongue, it does go along with the names of the novels and movies (as in "Harry Potter and the Fill in the Blank").

Yeah, that is why I'm guessing they chose to go with the name (same with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey).

I honestly don't care how bad the name is, I'm just looking forward to riding it. The concept art looks interesting.

We really shouldn't complain much about the name...I mean...

Flight Deck

Cheetah Hunt

Drop Tower

El Loco

It could have been a lot worse!

"Harry Potter and the Backlot Stunt Coaster"

I like the name of the ride. Based on the name, it sounds like the ride should have an outstanding story as each book was named "Harry Potter and the..." Take it how you will, but I thought that their reference to it being multidimensional could mean it will have a drop section or a section where the car is transported/lifted to another track section, or more likely that it will be like Revenge of the Mummy having both "scenes" and coaster sections (which I'd expect either way!).

I'm so friggin pumped for this!!!!!! I'm a huge potter freak so this will be on my list of things to do! The name seems a bit long for the Gringotts coaster, but I do agree that all of the books are" Harry Potter and the________." I'm still waiting for interactive wands and it wouldn't be that hard. All of the wands would need to be replaced, but they would have the same technology as Magiquest just with more realistic wands.

I'm loving that they brought Neville, Fred, and Luna into the video to help announce it. That was a nice touch. But I wish that Universal would just announce all of the things about the coaster. I don't like being left to guess...

Ok. Brilliant idea time. When you're on the Hogwarts express, it breaks down and stops. And then the room gets cold and the glass freezes. And then a holographic dementor comes in. How cool would that be!?

I disagree. We really didn't hear anything that wasn't "known" before. This has been one of the worst kept secrets in theme park history. Nothing was announced that had not already been widely discussed for the last year. Sure, the concept art looks nice, and I'm sure the area will look great, based on how the other one looks. But there wasn't anything new announced here.

The name is fine. It sounds like one of the books names, which is a good pattern to follow.

How could anyone not be excited about this?

Because they're not fans of Potter? There are people out there that have zero interest in this IP.

They debuted (at worst top 3) the best dark ride in the world, arguably the best and most detailed themed land in the world (and unarguably best in the USA), and some of the very best unique merchandising items in the world with the last HP expansion, and now they're completing the whole thing with a bigger phase 2. I'm so excited to still have my seasonal status from HHN 2013 attractions so I can go to any employee previews for this.

Totally disagree with the ranking of the dark ride. There are so many better rides out there. Sure the technology is cool, but the story is horrid for anyone that's never read any Potter or seen one of the movies. Compare it to something like Spiderman, which even if you've never seen a movie or read one of the comics, the story still makes sense and you can easily follow it. There is way too much "insider" stuff on the Potter ride for it to be really enjoyable for everyone. No attraction in a theme park should ever require you to be a pre-existing fan and knowledgeable about all the backstory for it to be enjoyable for everyone.

The area is well done, but again, there are some stunning things in parks around the world that are just as nice if not better, and don't rely on you having to read seven books and/or watch a number of movies to understand why they're impressive. Plus the area has a really poor layout for crowd flow, making it hard to get to the merchandise. From the artist renderings of the new area, it looks more of the same, with narrow alleys that will serve as choke points for the crowds that are going to be wanting to visit. Whether it's "accurate" to the IP or not, this is not a good idea.

I applaud Universal for putting this together and making money off of it. It would be nice if they'd make the new area a bit more open and enjoyable for the non-fans, but I have my doubts. But I really haven't seen anything from this announcement that tells me that it will be anything but Pottertown in a different park.

I still say they should have gone with a Game Of Thrones land. Watching a kid get tossed out of a castle window every hour would certainly draw a crowd...

dt

When The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ – Diagon Alley™ opens Summer 2014, you’ll be able to board the train back and forth between both Hogsmeade™ and London via the Hogwarts™ Express* with a Park-to-Park ticket or an Annual Pass.

This confirms it. I'm guessing they'll have a deal on park hopper tickets next summer, but who knows

I'm loving that they brought Neville, Fred, and Luna into the video to help announce it. That was a nice touch. But I wish that Universal would just announce all of the things about the coaster. I don't like being left to guess...

I'm the opposite - perfectly happy to remain ignorant until I get to ride the actual ride. I enjoy POVs of outdoor coasters but much prefer to wallow in ignorance when it comes to dark rides.

The concept arts looking great.

I'm still eager too see - and in some years experience - the finished deal. Mostly as the London magical streets in the movies are quite cramped - at how Universal keeps the movie-like feel while making it wide enough for tons of visitors.

That's sad to hear about folks who haven't followed anything about Potter in the last two decades. The movies are all quality films (RT scores: 80, 82, 91, 88, 79, 84, 78, 96) with good to great acting and script, and are on ABC family every single weekend. Having zero interest is a little much Bah humbug to me. I HATED Avatar as a movie, but I am still extremely interested to see what they do with that land and can at least read a Wikipedia page to understand some of the nuances.

If it's about storytelling i CAN understand knocking the ride and I do agree that Forbidden Journey makes no sense the first time even for a fan...but the freaking huge vertical whomping willow sequence...and the queue line...and the dementors sucking your soul, and the combo of motion/high tech animatronics/moving screens . It's just too crazy and unique. Nothing like it. And I'm a script matters deeply kind of guy anyway. I think there's enough there.

And knocking the place because of crowds and not what it offers...yeesh it's Orlando...How about MK fireworks in the hub every night, or the horrible strollerfest in Frontierland? Or BGT's entirely annoying park layout? Or HHN in late october vs mid September? Or like, TDS/TDL/Half of Disneyland Park?

I am a coaster geek but do like potter.I Did Orlando last year and i had no plans to go back for a couple of years having seen the scale of the new land in the flesh and online coverage. I am doing what i can not get a day in Orlando pre cruise which will include 2 nights in a universal hotel to get the extra hour (never stayed on property before)plus that's a one day hopper pass x2 , 2 night meals on city walk + spends and car parking extra they going to get just from me, lol think they are on a winner. Go's without saying will hit fun spot for a few hours on route from airport lol .

Stu K

Those expecting a full out coaster experience will be disappointed... From what I have been told, expect something more along the lines of Mummy... More dark ride then coaster. I was told that it should be more impressive overall than Forbidden Journey, FWIW. I am looking forward to this expansion myself!

I did not follow/watch any of HP stuff until the first area at IOA opened up... A month prior to going, we watched all the DVD's so we could enjoy the area more. The films are fantastic, IMO... Worth a watch if you have not.