TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

So I have a question about the Universal Express pass and the 2 park ticket.

We're going to Orlando in February and it will be our first visit to Universal. We only have one day.

My first thought was to just go to IOA but now I'm thinking about getting the 2 park pass and the 2 park Universal Express pass because even though we'd like to spend most of the day at IOA I'd really like to check out Mummy and Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit (plus maybe a few other things if we have time).

My question is is it reasonable to do all of this in one day or should we just stick with IOA? We'll probably go on a Saturday since the parks will be open from 9 to 9 and since we'll have the express pass anyway so I would think crowds wouldn't be so much of an issue (let me know if this is a stupid idea). I really don't know much about this park so all the advice I can get would be appreciated. I don't want to rush through it since I know the theming is amazing and I'd like to take some time to enjoy it but since we only have one day rushing is kind of inevitable.

Also, besides the coasters is there anything at Universal Studios that we absolutely need to do (that's worth taking some time away from IOA)?

It is very possible to do both parks in one day, then go back and hit rides or attractions again.

For example, I ALWAYS start at IOA and go to Hulk first, then Spiderman, Dr Doom, etc. Ride things as you come to them.

Being February, I am not sure how cold it will be, but I suggest riding the water rides. They are among the best themed water rides that I have ridden. "Horse, I can bearly see." (Those who have been will know exactly what ride the quote was from.

After the 3 water rides, grab a Frozen Butterbeer, then get in line for Forbidden Journey. The ride does not stop while loading. The only thing that slows the line down, is everyone taking photos inside the castle. WHATEVER the wait time may be, it is worth it. When I went, it was posted 90 minutes. Got right back in line afterward. It did not feel like 90 minutes at all. After Forbidden Journey, grab a regular Butterbeer, (skip shopping here, the lines to get in the stores are longer than the rides) then head to the Dragons.

As you make your way around, you will come into Suess Landing. Cat in The Hat is a fun dark ride. However, I believe they neutered it. It doesn't spin as much as it used to.

This is usually when I break for lunch. Circus McGurcus Cafe is pretty good, Cafe 4 next to Hulk is good, Burger Digs in Jurassic Park is my favorite in IOA. They have seasoned fries!

Or we go to Monster Cafe at the Studios. I love that place.

Then HRRR, SHREK 4D, Twister, Mummy, Disaster, Jaws (RIP), and MIB.

Check the showtimes for Beetlejuice's Graveyard Review! It is a great show.

MIB is such an awesome ride.

Continue around hitting the rest of the attractions. Once you finish, and have more time, go back and do things for a second time.

I would suggest doing wizarding world first thing as soon as you get there. Walking on forbidden journey beats a 90 min wait any day...also when you get to the studios I would do rockit first as well. To me, those are the two rides that get the longest lines...

I had always wanted to ride Jaws. Thank you TPR for at least putting together some great video and pictures for me to enjoy. Ironically, my aunt's boyfriend who is in charge of the Harry Potter project loved the Jaws ride and hated to be the one to kill it.

Good article with Comcast CEO, Brian Roberts.

Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners.

"We're doubling down on theme parks," Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts during a conference in Las Vegas that was broadcast online. "We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go."

Comcast's Universal Parks & Resorts operates the third-busiest collection of theme parks in the world, with combined attendance of more than 36 million a year, according to estimates compiled by the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting company AECOM. But it remains far behind the global leader, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which draws more than 126 million theme-park visits per year.

Link to rest of article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-theme-parks-20140107,0,7714951.story

^^ I hope with the new movie brings a new ride like it's been rumored for so long.

It's rumored between a Dark Ride, GG Junior Wooden Coaster, or B&M Coaster.

I never heard anything about a B&M coaster. I honestly don't think that is a possibility considering they already have 3 major B&M coasters in the park already. I would personally love a family GCI coaster with the adorable Mini-lennium Flyers though .

Good article with Comcast CEO, Brian Roberts.

Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners.

"We're doubling down on theme parks," Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts during a conference in Las Vegas that was broadcast online. "We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go."

Comcast's Universal Parks & Resorts operates the third-busiest collection of theme parks in the world, with combined attendance of more than 36 million a year, according to estimates compiled by the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting company AECOM. But it remains far behind the global leader, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which draws more than 126 million theme-park visits per year.

Link to rest of article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-theme-parks-20140107,0,7714951.story

I don't understand how they can claim market share when they are so far behind Disney?

When the article mentions more hotel rooms, where will the be building these extra hotel rooms? I know Universal has some room but in some areas it seems like it will be a far walk from the hotel to CityWalk. Maybe they will invest in some buses soon? Or do they have buses already? Cabana Bay already seems it will be a little trek just to get to the parks and back. Will they connect the lake that connects to all of the hotel properties already to Cabana Bay?