TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

The Today Show had a preview of Harry Potter. All they have up right now is about a minute long recap. But I am trying to find the full preview.

tv.yahoo.com/daytime/video/today-regis-kelly-wendy-williams/17861256/

EDIT: Found the full version along with info on the extraordinary class contest.

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35185063/

New webpage http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter

Looking amazing! I'm thinking the "Great Feast Platter" at The Three Broomsticks will be the same smoked chicken/corn platter that the Enchanted Oak served which makes me very happy since that was some great food.

I'm hoping they have a replacement for the Alchemy Bar! I want some alcoholic Butterbeer!

• 2 weeks later...
The Today Show had a preview of Harry Potter. All they have up right now is about a minute long recap. But I am trying to find the full preview.

Notice the dates of their "Extraordinary Class" contest? Ends March 19. Although they theoretically could then pick a winner on the 20th, their legal department will need time to make sure the winner is legal (as always). Thus, I'd not expect the announcement of a winner until the neighborhood of March 26. THEN they normally give people a reasonable amount of time to get off from work and school, so I'd say the chance of a March opening are nil. MAYBE mid-April.

I'll have to dig back into this thread to see if I actually posted a prediction... I figured it wouldn't be done by the time we're down in Orlando in 3 weeks.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20100218/NEWS/100219745?p=1&tc=pg

Right now, it's just the castle in the distance as motorists drive past it on Interstate 4. But by the spring, the region's beleaguered tourism economy – which has taken a hit from the recession and the drop in consumer spending – may get a big jolt from the opening of a new theme park devoted to one of the most profitable movie franchises in history.

“Harry Potter is huge worldwide,” said Sarah Holt, sales coordinator at Universal Studios Orlando. “Four-hundred million copies of the book have been sold. The films themselves are the highest grossing franchise. It's already at $3.5 billion with six movies.” So Universal Studio knew what it was doing when it embarked on the construction of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, a theme park built around the magical world of this popular character. “It's going to be a whole new theme park at Islands of Adventure, built on 20 acres out of 100,” Holt said. “It is opening this spring. We do not have an official date as of now.” Holt was the guest speaker during a meeting of the Central Florida Vacation Property Managers Association; the trade group representing many of the short-term vacation homes in Central Florida.

Vacation homes have become one of the fastest growing industries in this region, particularly in Polk and Osceola counties, and Universal Studios wanted the property managers to be well versed in what the theme park will have to offer – so they can pass that information on to their guests, many of them Europeans who come to this region for extended stays and prefer to rent a fully furnished home with multiple bedrooms, a private kitchen and a private pool, rather than a hotel room.

David Leather, the president of the association, asked Holt at the end of her presentation, “Will we all get an invitation to the opening – all of us?”

Holt said Universal definitely wants vacation home managers to know exactly what people can expect at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – and to help educate their guests. “You're going to want to know everything you can, and be immersed in this so that when your guests come – particularly the European ones – you can tell them everything they need to know about it,” Holt said. During her presentation, Holt made it clear that the Harry Potter park will definitely have a lot to offer Universal's guests. That includes rides, dining and shopping options, and a replication of Hogwarts Castle, home to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a building that Holt promised would be “very authentic.”

The Dragon Challenge roller coaster ride will allow guests will feel like they're being chased by a dragon. Less intense will be the Flight of the Hippogriff, modeled on the creature that's half-horse and half-eagle. “This is a family-friendly coaster,” Holt said.

The largest ride will be Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. “You'll go on this great journey specifically designed for this part of the park,” Holt said. “It's ground-breaking, state of the art technology that will even surpass the Spiderman ride. If you've been on Spiderman, you know that's pretty big.”

The theme park will host the Three Broomsticks restaurant and the Hog's Head Pub, where Holt said guests can buy “very old liquor, and we'll have animated hog's heads on the wall that will interact with you while you drink your old beer. The Butter Beer is going to be non-alcholic. However, you can go into the Hog's Head Pub and ask for the alcoholic version.”

There will be shops as well, like Honeydukes, a candy store that will sell, among other things, chocolate frogs and Treacle Fudge. Dervish & Banges is a toy store that will sell, not surprisingly, broomsticks among the many selections. “Ninety-five percent of them are completely unique products,” Holt said. “You will not be able to buy them anywhere else.”

There's a Frog Choir that will perform five times d ay, Holt said, adding, “This is very top secret, so you're the first one's to hear about it.”

With so much to offer, Holt said Universal is eager for vacation homes to get a better understanding of what the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is all about. She added that ticket prices, which went up at Universal in January, will not rise again when this new park opens. “They are not expected to go up at all with the opening of Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” Holt said. “They are expected to remain the same as they are now.”

Somebody suggested over on the Orlando United page that this photo seems to suggest the possibility of a tunnel from the bridge up through the floor of the courtyard. I'm not sure I buy it... the biggest reason being scale. There's so much forced perspective going on here that the bridge certainly wouldn't be big enough to fit people, let alone a ride vehicle. The courtyard is the same way.

Honestly, I suspect the entire ride is inside of the box, and everything else is merely facade. The box certainly didn't give much indication that any major machinery would be going in and out...

Who knows, though. They might build an apartment themed to Dumbledore's office at the top and give away one night stays as a promotional deal to combat Disney's in Magic Kingdom. I very much doubt it, but it'd be cool.

I received an "exclusive" offer this evening from Universal. The offer is valid starting 5/28/2010. I'm guessing they put it out to the end of May to be safe that it's actually open, but who knows.

This EXCLUSIVE vacation package includes:

* Early Park Admission◊ to experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

* Breakfast at the Three Broomsticks™ - one per person^

* Commemorative GRAND OPENING ticket – one per person

* Hotel accommodations at a Universal Partner Hotel

* 3-Day Base Ticket^^ to both Universal Orlando® theme parks – one theme park, per day

* Access to live entertainment◊◊ at Universal CityWalk®

Universal Orlando has sent us an official press release about the previously mentioned vacation package.

It’s one of the most highly anticipated theme park entertainment experiences of our generation and, for the first time, guests can now book an exclusive vacation package to visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort with their families.

“The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Vacation Package” includes accommodations at an on-site hotel at Universal Orlando Resort and admission to both Universal Orlando theme parks – along with a wide-range of benefits available only by booking through Universal Orlando Resort. Benefits include early park admission, allowing guests to experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter before other guests each day, as well as a traditional British breakfast at the Three Broomsticks, the signature eating establishment within The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. And by staying at an on-site hotel, guests get exclusive Universal Express Access to select attractions and shows, allowing them to bypass regular lines.

To best enjoy all Universal Orlando offers, guests may consider the four-night package featured below. Guests can add additional nights and also upgrade their theme park tickets to include park-to-park access, allowing them to go to both Universal theme parks each day. Additional packages are available with prices starting at $285 per-adult ($829 for a family of four) for four nights at a hotel near Universal. All packages and prices are available at UniversalOrlando.com. All travel begins May 28.*

“There has been worldwide anticipation for this one-of-a-kind entertainment experience, and we are thrilled to be offering families a way to experience the magic and excitement of Harry Potter’s world,” said Alice Norsworthy, executive vice president of marketing and sales for Universal Orlando Resort.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Vacation Package – Four Nights

On-site package starts at $645 per-adult ($1,548 for a family of four)

On-Site Package Benefits

·Four-night accommodations at one of Universal’s three on-site AAA Four Diamond hotels: Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Royal Pacific Resort

·Three days admission to Universal Studios and Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme parks (park-to-park not included)

·Complimentary Universal Express access to bypass the regular lines at select theme park rides and attractions (a $70 value per day)

·Early park admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

·Breakfast at the Three Broomsticks

·Commemorative ticket for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

·Good for travel beginning May 28, 2010

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will provide visitors with a one-of-a-kind experience complete with multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant.

A lot of the general public call it the Harry Potter theme park and I wonder if they will be surprised to find it's a typical island size.

I've been wondering this same thing.

My Manager, my District Manager, and another DM from our company were talking about it a couple weeks ago. They were trying to tell the other DM what it was and I over heard my Manager describe it as "They basically took IOA and re-did the whole thing as Harry Potter". Man, wont they be disappointing when they get there and find out it's only one of the sections in IOA that have been Harry Potter-ized!

I've heard a decent amount of people talk about it like this. I hate looking like a knot-it-all, so I just keep my mouth shut. I'll have to tell my Manager though.

^For me though, it's not the IP that will 'make' this addition for me, but rather the technology being employed.

I mean, I can't say I've ever been interested in the Twilight Zone, or the Incredible Hulk, or Popeye, or Superman for instance, but that didn't stop me from really enjoying the respective attractions themed around these things.

A lot of the general public call it the Harry Potter theme park and I wonder if they will be surprised to find it's a typical island size.

I've been wondering this same thing.

My Manager, my District Manager, and another DM from our company were talking about it a couple weeks ago. They were trying to tell the other DM what it was and I over heard my Manager describe it as "They basically took IOA and re-did the whole thing as Harry Potter". Man, wont they be disappointing when they get there and find out it's only one of the sections in IOA that have been Harry Potter-ized!

I've heard a decent amount of people talk about it like this. I hate looking like a knot-it-all, so I just keep my mouth shut. I'll have to tell my Manager though.

This has been my concern with the entire project. People I know that want to go have thought the same thing. Even the local AAA travel office promotes the it that way. I worry for Universal, people will get there and think "that's it? I thought this was an entire park" and never return.

Well the press release gives an opening date of sorts. So one would have to take it from the 28th May, the whole new land will be open.

They'd be idiots not to give themselves a significant buffer... and they can always allow people to book earlier if they want. I suspect they're aiming for late April/early May.

Where they ARE going to tick people off is if the big E-Ticket ride-in-a-box isn't open with the rest of the land, because they certainly haven't been mentioning that in any press release.

Looks good! Although, I do think they should have painted the supports of Fire & Ice a different color to blend into the trees a bit better. The village looks great, nice bit of immersion. Really interested in the tech behind the ride, see how that works out.