TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Nothing too extraordinary. Just a couple of pics I snapped while in the park today.

Snapped a few Triceratops Encounter pics.. (Nothing really new)

Also snapped a lone Skipper Tours dock photo.

Everything I have been hearing was the area opens before the ride by a few months. Makes seance with no details about the ride even coming out yet with the spring opening.

If they do open the land without the major ride, I wonder how people will walk away angry? Hopefully for them, it turns out well.

^ I have heard that quite a bit as well. I think if they can communicate it correctly and sell it as a "soft opening" of the land and not the ride it will be OK. I think they will get some AP traffic of folks who want to see the wand store, try Butterbeer, etc.

I hope they do clarify that it is indeed a soft opening. People may be upset if they travel far to get there and there isn't much to do.

My husband and I are planning to make the drive from Illinois to go visit but it might now be worth our while if there isn't a major attraction involved.

Damn, i was supposed to be on this coaster today. Unfortunately on tuesday my colleague wanted to go to Animal Kingdom instead, so we went there, and then yesterday when i was driving home a Ford F150 flew off a car carrier and straight into my work truck. As a result my company canceled the rest of my trip and sent me straight home last night.

O well, i guess i have to wait till i'm next in Orlando, which will probably be in May

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming Superbowl ad set to reveal some more information about the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

WHAT: Universal Orlando Resort will launch a brand-new, national commercial for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter during Super Bowl XLIV. The ad, created by Universal Orlando and Rosso Media Ltd in the UK, offers guests a look into the magic that awaits them at the highly anticipated theme park experience set to open Spring 2010.

Set to air during the first half of the Super Bowl, the ad features all-new footage and pulls viewers directly into the new area – from the bustling village of Hogsmeade, to the immensity of Hogwarts castle. The commercial also features Harry Potter and two children who get a glimpse at the excitement guests can expect to experience when they visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

The commercial also begins a new brand campaign, “Be Courageous. Be Outrageous. Be Extraordinary.” showing viewers that Universal Orlando Resort is the only theme park destination in the world where you can soar above Hogwarts castle with Harry Potter, swing above the streets with Spider-Man and help Shrek save Princess Fiona in Shrek 4-D.

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will provide visitors with a one-of-a-kind experience complete with multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant.

WHEN: Sunday, February 7, 2010

During the first half of Super Bowl XLIV

1688043686_NationalAdScreenGrab_FINAL.jpg.aa59a176602862f490527654cbd83def.jpg

^ They are really building up the hype. I hope the attraction/land can live up to it. I almost wonder if last years free ticket give-a-way during the Superbowl was a test to see the amount of folks watching who were interested. Has any other theme park ever done a Superbowl ad (besides the obvious "I'm going to Disney World!")?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2010/02/racing-to-complete-potter-universal-boosts-spending.html

Universal Orlando, which is racing to finish construction of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, is pumping more money into its capital spending.

The resort says it spent an estimated $130 million on capital projects in 2009. That’s about $10 million more than Universal had been projecting as recently as the fall. And it’s about $20 million more than what Universal had planned to spend on capital work at the beginning of 2009.

Universal didn’t disclose what led to the higher-than-expected spending, and a spokesman for the resort declined to provide any details. But the vast majority of the resort’s capital spending last year was devoted to Wizarding World, which is scheduled to open sometime this spring in Islands of Adventure, and the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster, which opened in Universal Studios Florida last August.

^ They are really building up the hype. I hope the attraction/land can live up to it. I almost wonder if last years free ticket give-a-way during the Superbowl was a test to see the amount of folks watching who were interested. Has any other theme park ever done a Superbowl ad (besides the obvious "I'm going to Disney World!")?

Good question. I thought the answer was no, but verified it. Through the past 10 years, no national chain has run a Super Bowl ad nationally.

Although ads may have been purchased locally to run in individual markets during the broadcast.

Everything I have been hearing was the area opens before the ride by a few months. Makes seance with no details about the ride even coming out yet with the spring opening.

If they do open the land without the major ride, I wonder how people will walk away angry? Hopefully for them, it turns out well.

That is what the Disney Studios did back in 1994 with ToT- Sunset Boulevard was opened a few months ahead of the actual ToT to give the shops and stores time to get going before the big attraction opened.