TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Remember folks, it's not just how tall a crane is, it's how much it can lift and how far away it can lift it. For example, the large red crane in the first picture from IOA is a Manitowoc 4000 - it'll pick 150 Tons, but only from 15 feet away. Want to pick up a load from 100 ft away? You're only looking at about 15,000 lbs. We'll likely see a large crane not mounted on tracks, but on six or so axles with 12 huge tires. For the short term, they're cheaper. They're also a whole lot quicker to set up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller crane there to carry a manbasket for the guys to work from. End of technical jargon.

I agree that's it's nice to see signs of progress again. It'll be done when it's done.

When I first saw that triangle shaped entrance, it looked so hilariously boring. Now that they've added the simple steel arches to it, it looks like some fancy ancient architecture.

Not only am I excited about the ride, I am almost more excited about the Potter themed area. One thing I love about IOA is if I don't feel like riding I can still walk around the circle several times and have a great time. Especially in the lost continent area around the fountain. Universal has some really immersive areas inside IOA. I'm also a HUGE Harry potter fan.

Yeah, that picture was from an March 16th update.

There was an update today (April 20th) as well but if you read the update, he said:

Meanwhile another reader snapped up a couple of new pictures of the track where it blasts through the building near Twister.

If you look at those pictures, the date on it says April 20th or "2009_0420_Rockit2"

Here is that picture if you all are interested:

*From screamscape.com

For anyone interested, the scaffolding around the building was gone as of 4pm this afternoon when I walked by. I'm not sure when it was removed though.

Yea, I noticed the crane yesterday behind the first break run. I was over by MIB, but couldn't tell if was in USF or over in IOA near Harry Potter. When I finally got around to the other side of the park, it wasn't there or at least I couldn't see it from where I was.

Here is an update from today April 22, 2009.

Today crews continued to work on the station and evac towers. Crews were working on the lift all morning long and the scaffolding is down around the fire house but you will notice from the pics they are not completely finished with the other side. Progress continues and also the area around the firehouse just looks great with new paint, fences etc.. Now onto the pics!!!

More to come!!!

Awesome! So we're gonna finally see Universal top off the coaster.

Can't wait!

I wouldn't count on that just yet... The crane currently on site isn't the crane they've been using to lift the track pieces, nor do I think it's capable of lifting them. The crane by the lift now is there because they've been running conduit and wiring up it for the past few days.

And speaking of lift track pieces, as of 4.19, there were still only 5 pieces of track in the holding area. Those include the bottom of the lift, the two top pieces of the lift, the final drop piece, and the final piece of station track. I've segmented off the pieces on this model:

So unless the rest of the lift arrived this week, I wouldn't count on this coaster being finished relatively soon.

Update from today April 22, 2009.

There is steel structure going up in multiple locations in the Hogsmeade area. Work continues around the outside of the castle and it continues to grow. There is also 4 cranes on site now. And no none of them are the HRRR's crane. Just to nip that in the but before the rumor brigade takes off.

Enjoy the pics and I think we will see steel structure atop the box with a month, or sooner.

Sorry about the last two pics, I couldn't see where my camera was pointed since there was a wall in between us.

Lol, front of the firehouse fail is fixed, all they're missing to fix is the back of the fail. If they install the lift by Sunday then they'll probably bring the trains and put them on the track.

Hopefully start testing in the next two or three weeks.

Forgive me if it's already been answered, but exactly how do they perform an evac on a vertical lift? It seems extremely difficult to me, and a lot of things could potentially go wrong...

The channel holding the track coming off the Drop Tuning is looking really nice. Much better now that they've started finishing it and getting rid of the rough sides. Should be really nice once its done.

Well they still have not changed the website opening date. O well, I live bout 2 hrs away anyway to not much to worry about. I'm still pissed about Hershey Springtime in the Park event I attended and I need a good park to go to in the meantime. Back on topic though, on Gerstlauer rides (I might have spelled that wrong lolz) I thought they had some kind of lift that elevated to the car stuck on the track. That ending of the ride looks like major fun and possible airtime??? I just hope its ready in June-Late June.

I never realized that part of the ride went below ground level! Glad to see part I of the fail is fixed too. Oh well, I guess it will not be open for my trip in July. I guess I will just have to take some kick @$$ pictures for everyone instead. ::sigh:: I will keep my fingers crossed though. If I am lucky, maybe they will have a soft open by then. With the (was it approx two?) sections of the track that seem to not be accounted for... who knows. But funny, the pieces that were said to be missing, is where I "imagined" the Maverick track going. LOL.

*Great pictures everyone!