TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

From what I hear from some old Universal friends, Dragons WILL be changed to fit in with the new Harry Potter theme. However the change won't be drastic. Just a new preshow, costumes, and the castle will be rethemed. I doubt they will touch the trains, but new molding wouldn't be a big drastic change either..

Also, judging by the concept art, it looks like the queue will start much closer to the castle and the dragons out front may be gone!

I've heard that Unicorn will close down as early as July (but it makes more sense to close it after the busy summer season) and wont reopen until LATE NEXT year when the whole area transformation is complete. This makes sense because the retheme of the ride, but also because its location pretty much in a construction zone!

What else..

Dragons will only be closed for a few months leading up to the opening of the new area. So probably Sept-Nov of '09?

And finally and the coolest news is that rumor has it there is a temporary maintainance bay out behind dragons (out of guest view) that they will be using to assemble the robo train things (track above the car apparently) during the construction of the castle.

Sounds pretty cool! Im still wondering if this is all part of "Phase One" for Harry Potter stuff, or if the expansion between Dragons and Sinbad towards USF was just speculation.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I found a layout of the track (supposedly) I hope this is really it it looks totally awesome, on the site I got it from it said Universal released this info so lets hope it comes true *crosses fingers*

Heres a lil' info on the ride...

Recently, Universal released details on the ride's layout. As usual, the marketing department tried to give some memorable names to the elements. Elements include: the Doubletake (The non-inverting loop), Treble Clef (an ascending high G helix into a Hi Hat stall and vertical dive), Jump Cut (spiraling negative-G camelback), Crowd Surfer (overbanked curve crowd fly-by), Drop Tuning (sideways drop into chasm), Plot Twist (sideways loop) and Chorus (high speed ground maneuvers).

-------------------------------------------

I wanna see how there going to pull this off, and I really want to see the non inverting loop (the plot twist) I thought it was going to be like Mantis's sideways loop, but on the site it says the worlds first non-inverting loop, so I wanna see how they pull this off!

EDIT: Now that I see this, I dont think the big loop is the record setter, its the small one.... Man Im so excited!!!!

EDIT AGAIN: Oops, apparently this has been posted on the page before me, very sorry, but for those who couldnt find the photo here it is. *sigh* And there I though I was with the latest new scoop, oh well...*sigh*

rip-ride-rockit-universal.jpg.09dd235c25cf999d8ba1e05d61fbc566.jpg

WOW!

Hey, now that I think about it the "Double Take" non-inverting loop, sounds like its going to go into the loop do a 180, crest the top of the loop (on top of it) go down the drop turn a 180 and do this in the "shape of a loop." Anyone else agree? Or want to add on to the issue....

I'm kinda thinking the non-inverting loop will be similar to the Norwegian Loop element found on Fahrenheit and Speed Monster, except instead of diving into it from the top, you come up from the bottom side.

Well technically, if it's shaped like a loop then it can be called a loop. It doesn't necessarily have to invert you.

Speaking of USF, I really need to get over to the park and finally ride "The Simpson Ride". I live less than an hour away and still haven't been on it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I would kinda call it a top hat but you rotate 180 dgrees on the incline up and then on the incline down instead of no turn or only 90 degree's like many speed coaster's like Kingda Ka or Stealth.

Imagine going halfway up a normal loop, then rotate 180 degrees so you are now outside the loop. You coast over the top of the top hat and as you fall back down and hit roughly a 90 degree drop you twist again 180 dgrees and you are back inside the loop at the exit.

Thats my interpritation anyway. Hope this helps.

Can't believe I was only there on June 25 and missed the costruction. I shame myself!

• 2 weeks later...

Flying Unicorn closed back in June, and they've just begun to demolish and gut the front portion of the Enchanted Oak Tavern.

Dueling Dragons remains open though, probably till the end of this year or till the beginning of next year.

From what I hear from some old Universal friends, Dragons WILL be changed to fit in with the new Harry Potter theme. However the change won't be drastic. Just a new preshow, costumes, and the castle will be rethemed. I doubt they will touch the trains, but new molding wouldn't be a big drastic change either...

I'm really excited by this, if not a little bit skeptical. Personally I think Dueling Dragons is one of those true gems of a roller coaster, a real masterpiece, and I would hate it to be tainted just to be able to fit in with a theme that the rest of the land is incorporating.

What I have heard is most of the skeletons will be removed from inside the castle. Other than that just some tents in the area in front and probably a newly themed gift shop. It wouldn't surprise me to see the color scheme of the trains changed.

I don't think the ride will be closed for long, or at all during the re-theme. They will just set up a temporary entrance. However, it would be nice too see them re-paint the track because they did such a crap job of it last time.

It is a shame to see The Enchanted Oak coming down, that area on a foggy summer night was spectacular.

There's been some buzz about Poseidon's Fury being -un-redone- To it's original story with Zeus vs the evil Poseidon from when the attraction first opened. The only reason it's being thought of, is because Poseidon will have to hold it's own as the only attraction in the new Lost Continent.

I've also heard that they're planning on keeping DD as open as possible using alternate entrances for as long as the makeover can allow.

^ Noo. I know the HP stuff will be probably really well done, but it kinda sucks to see the cool Lost Continent stuff get the business end of a bulldozer, ESPECIALLY a structure as cool as the Enchanted Oak. Rest In Pieces, scary tree face.