TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Ok! Not to be rude but they are NOT going to change the themeing of Dueling Dragons. They are going to change the themeing of Flying Unicorn. I work for Universal and I have been to classes about the Harry Potter section and one thing they made very clear is that they will NOT be Changing Dueling Dragons... and that you can see their parking garages from space. So now you know... Dueling Dragons will stay Dueling Dragons and that is that.

~Matthew

According to the concept art DD is in PotterLand, but I guess it is only concept art.

I would be ecstatic if they kept DD the way it is!

EDIT: Also, something for Harry is being tested in one of the soundstages at Universal...possibly the Robotic Arm Coaster?

yea, I hope they don't change a thing on DD. Those Red and white tents outside the castle are most likey some queue, but I LOVE the DD outdoor queue the way it is. Even if they never use it.

Just turn it into the Forbidden Forest. I mean in Goblet of Fire, they did hide the dragons in cages inside the Forbidden Forest. I just hope they don't do something dumb. Coming from Universal, it shouldn't be.

ZOMG, I just figured it out. OMG you guys, do you see a reference with this. Okay as this guy above me stated about some robot arm. Then I was like wait, robot, strong, blah blah, EUREKA!~! I just figured it out. Anyone here see a reference between STRONG arm and ROBOT arm. Strong is a robot, and arm, is arm. ZOMG I just figured it out!~!

Last edited by Adrenaline_Rush on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Nice phantom edit there, bud. The original post was hilarious. Should have kept it just for comedy's sake.

I think it's been stated a bajillion times already that the "Strongarm" thing is in reference to the KUKA (robot arm) roller coaster. Every rumor and piece of news has pointed that way. You definitely weren't figuring anything out that hadn't already been known.

Ok well, I wasnt caught up in this news, so it was news to me. Sorry if Im not reading along EVERY second. Though I might change it back to the original post just for comedys sake.

EDIT: I edited it back to its original state, just for laughs, again sorry Im slow, though I did find myself laughing at myself when I saw ^^'s post.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say something about the changes, as I think the plans look great. But after reading back over the last couple of pages and seeing people being pompous and pissy because someone reads Harry Potter books, I had to comment on that.

They are books- you read them. people who feel the need to make fun or try to belittle people because of this have more than likely never read a book in their life. I'm currently working my way through the HP books as they are a great break from reading up on Statutes all day.

This is the first time I've ever seen anything here that left a bad taste in my mouth, hopefully it'll be the last.

Sorry, rant over.

^ People on here sometimes have a "god complex" where they feel you need to abide by their typically prepubescent life styles.. or they cry.

I'm excited for the changes to IOA. I'll see if I can get any of my old IOA people to let me know if ANYTHING is going on yet.

I always presumed they would build it around Duelling Dragons as it fits with the theme. I am hoping that the surprise in Hogwarts will be some sort of broom-based ride, or a a Quidditch based racing coaster type dealio!

I can live in hope..

Well the project name for the new ride is called "Project Strongarm".. and Universal signed a contract with Kuko.. the company that makes the Robocoaster so there's a very good chance that's what the Hogwarts ride will be. I've heard that it will be a robocoaster (on a track) with different scenes you will fly through.. probably like Soarin' combined with Spiderman, combined with a coaster..

Harry Potter or not, that sounds like an idea that has some potential to be pretty sweet. But as it will just be a family ride, it probably won't have enough arm movement to be very thrilling... Unless perhaps you could choose what level of intensity you want like on the current trackless Robocoasters?

• 4 weeks later...

This just in from Universal Orlando -

Earthquake Closes Monday, November 5 to Make Way for Newest Blockbuster

ORLANDO, Fla. (November 5, 2007) – Universal Orlando Resort will blow the lid off a new attraction called Disaster! A Major Motion Picture Ride . . . Starring You later this year that will replace the current Earthquake attraction. For theme park enthusiasts, the heart-pounding thrills of Universal Orlando will be evident with the launch of this new Disaster experience.

Earthquake closes permanently on Monday, November 5 as work accelerates on the new experience. Initial construction has already been underway inside the attraction for several weeks. The excitement of Disaster! is expected to open in December.

Disaster! will offer guests an all-new experience that combines the best, most dramatic elements of Earthquake with new blockbuster celebrity talent, new ride elements, new digital technologies, interactive components and a new storyline. Universal Orlando’s reputation for bringing the breath-taking experiences of motion pictures to life will be in full effect with what Disaster! will feature.

“Earthquake has been a popular attraction and a strong part of our history,” said Bill Davis, President and Chief Operating Officer of Universal Orlando Resort. “But we are always looking for ways to create more compelling, more entertaining experiences for our guests. Disaster! will deliver on that goal.”

A specific opening date for the new attraction and more details about the experience will be released soon.

I think I remember reading something about this over on Screamscape but I thought the rumor was to just give Earthquake a different opening sequence. I guess they are going for a whole new ride. Good for them. Outside of Twister, which truly sucks in my opinion, Earthquake was another "done it once don't need to waste my life doing it again" attraction. Hopefully this will be pretty awesome.

Jimmy "Now I have a new attraction to conquer in Florida" Bo

Basically, as a showcase of 80's era special effects, it is dated. However, since it was all done "for real" I don't know how much better it could be made today. Since the theme is staying the same, I guess it will have a worthy successor. Probably just a matter of time before USH puts it on the chopping block, along with King Kong. The Studio Tour is a shell of its former self.

Edit: Oh, and if it's reopening next month, it seems like it will be more of an overlay than a totally new attraction.

Disaster! sounds interesting, but to me it just sounds like an enhanced version of the original ride.

This is exactly what it sounds like to me, more like Earthquake 2.0 less of a new ride. Even if it's little more then just changing the pre-show it already sounds like an improvment. While the first room was pretty low-tech it didn't seem nearly as outdated as the other rooms. Plus if they add more fire that's always a plus!

It doesn't sound like the hardware is changing much ... more of the preshow and overall theme.

Somewhat like what they did with Poseidon's Fury over at IOA years back. Just switch the storyline and add some light effects and presto - new attraction.

The orlando sentinel is reporting a December reopening ... that's too soon for any super huge.

Mike