TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Those look like Skyrush-style lap bars. Get ready for the complaints LOL.

They're not, they're Intamin's newest setup, which, at least on Hyperion, are decently comfortable.

It's like an Aqua Trax but without the water.

But what's an AquaTrax?!?

^Good news: they’re not trims! Lol

I've seen a few people say this and I hope to the coaster gods they're right and I'm wrong lol. Braked top hats are apparently "in" these days and I desperately don't want this to be one of them.

Those look like Skyrush-style lap bars. Get ready for the complaints LOL.

They're not, they're Intamin's newest setup, which, at least on Hyperion, are decently comfortable.

I actually think they're great! Sure the old T-bars are the best in the industry but this isn't that far off. I much prefer them over Mack's new lapbars and everyone goes bat sh*t over those.

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to be lighter, less bulky, and less prone to coming down further during the ride.

• Like 1

^Good news: they’re not trims! Lol

LSM's when not powered to accelerate the train are effectively trims, no?

I think what we might see here is the use of LSM's (vs. fixed alloy fins) as trims in this case, which remain unpowered acting as trims, unless the rare circumstance the train balances at the top of the crest. In which these LSM's can be powered to push it over, reducing the risk for evac provisions, such as platforms and such over the apex of the top hat.

That's my guess, at least.

In which these LSM's can be powered to push it over, reducing the risk for evac provisions, such as platforms and such over the apex of the top hat.

That's my guess, at least.

I'm pretty sure that's what they're for. Stalls may happen and having that little LSM up there means that they don't have to bring in the cavalry if the train doesn't make it over.

One of my favorite things about this ride so far is that I noticed even the plastic over wrap on the trains is themed. Pictures I saw have "INGen" printed in black letters in the side. Kinda cool to take themeing that far for the ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey quick question, my fiancé is obsessed with Harry Potter and we’ve been to the Hollywood version but I think the Florida experience will be perfect for our anniversary. What is the best time to visit the Orlando resort with minimal crowds???

7 hours ago, Animal said:

Hey quick question, my fiancé is obsessed with Harry Potter and we’ve been to the Hollywood version but I think the Florida experience will be perfect for our anniversary. What is the best time to visit the Orlando resort with minimal crowds???

We went the 2nd week of December 2018 and almost everything was a walk on. We only did IOA though. Kids and wife got 2 re-rides on Forbidden Journey near the end of the night. 

11 hours ago, Animal said:

We have been there various times throughout the year and our personal favorite time to go is mid September, past Labor day.   Lowest crowds I've seen and the weather is still warm enough to do hotel pools and park water rides but not the full-on oppressive summer hot.

Universal Orlando has announced details for their celebration of the holiday season including the new "Universal's Holiday Experience featuring Macy's Balloons."

617169276_TheGrinchHolidays.thumb.jpg.915d07226432eccdb1fd4075f4e98ff3.jpg

Plenty of merry and all kinds of mayhem will take over Universal Orlando Resort as it unwraps its 2020 Holidays celebration from November 14 through January 3, 2021. Guests can celebrate the most wonderful time of the year as Universal’s most beloved holiday traditions and characters come to life in reimagined ways that align with the destination’s enhanced health and safety procedures – from the all-new “Universal’s Holiday Experience featuring Macy’s Balloons” to character celebrations and appearances around the parks – and it’s all included in theme park admission.

This holiday season, guests of all ages can enjoy:

Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure

The streets of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley will become beautifully adorned with themed decorations, garlands and lights as the sounds of special holiday-themed performances fill the air throughout the lands. Guests can hear both magical and Muggle Christmas carols from the Frog Choir comprised of Hogwarts students and their giant croaking frogs, as well as the unique holiday hits of one of the wizarding world’s most popular singing sensations, Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees. There will also be seasonal treats, holiday eats, and beverages – including the highly-anticipated return of the fan-favorite, hot Butterbeer.

Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch and Who-liday Character Appearances at Universal’s Islands of Adventure

It wouldn’t be a Holidays celebration without the mean, green one himself! While visiting Seuss Landing in Universal’s Islands of Adventure, holiday-goers will enjoy appearances by the maven of mischief, The Grinch, as he continues to try and find ways to steal holiday cheer, and the merry Whos from Whoville.

ALL-NEW Universal’s Holiday Experience featuring Macy’s Balloons at Universal Studios Florida

New this year, guests will have the opportunity to get up-close with larger-than-life parade balloons and floats like never before during “Universal’s Holiday Experience featuring Macy’s Balloons.” Guests will stroll along a picturesque pathway where they’ll encounter elaborate floats and stunning balloons inspired by everything from iconic holiday staples like reindeers and the Nutcracker, to characters from popular animated films, including the mischievous Minions from Illumination’s “Despicable Me” and “Minions” films, Gingy, The Gingerbread Man, from DreamWorks Animation’s “Shrek” movies and the penguins from DreamWorks Animation’s “Madagascar” franchise. And it all culminates with a special appearance by Santa Claus and the opportunity to take a socially-distanced portrait with the big man himself.

Universal’s Holiday Character Celebration at Universal Studios Florida

During “Universal’s Holiday Character Celebration,” guests can celebrate the holiday season with the Minions and other beloved characters from Illumination’s “Despicable Me” and “Minions” films, and with DreamWorks Animation’s treasured family of Shrek characters and King Julien and the crew from the “Madagascar” franchise.

Guests will sing and dance along with some of their favorite characters as they arrive aboard incredibly-festive parade floats, then perform special holiday show moments that the entire family will enjoy. Afterward, guests will have the chance to take socially-distanced photos of themselves with the characters and floats.

Guests can also enjoy these additional holiday festivities across Universal Studios, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal CityWalk while visiting the destination:

First-Ever Holiday Tribute Store: A brand-new Tribute Store dedicated to the Holidays will debut at Universal Studios Florida for the holiday season. Located in the New York area of the park, guests will come dashing through the store into a winter wonderland featuring four immersive rooms – including one inspired by Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch – stocked with a variety of new merchandise that will make perfect holiday gifts, plus delicious seasonal food items. Guests can also browse Universal’s assortment of Holidays merchandise and make purchases online by visiting shop.UniversalOrlando.com

Holiday Tree Hunt: Guests who purchase the Holiday Tree Hunt will embark on a search for 16 holiday-themed trees scattered throughout various merchandise locations in the theme parks and CityWalk. Guests will receive a brochure that outlines the participating locations, where they’ll have to collect stamps to mark their visit to each stop. Those who successfully complete the entire hunt will receive an exclusive Holiday Tree Hunt-branded ornament.

Holiday Treat Trail: Guests can participate by grabbing a complimentary Holiday Treat Trail brochure that outlines a list of specialty food and beverage menu items across select dining venues. Those who purchase all qualifying items will receive a special sweet treat.

Guests can make the most of their holiday visit by staying at one of Universal Orlando’s hotels – including the brand-new Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites, opening December 15, 2020 – where rates start at $79 per night and include exclusive theme park benefits. Each hotel at Universal Orlando will feature festive flourishes and decorated Christmas trees to get guests into the holiday spirit, and offer special Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve dining options. To learn more about offers for Universal Orlando’s hotels, to book a reservation – and even build a custom holiday vacation package, visit: https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/places-to-stay/hotels/holiday-happenings

Universal Orlando continues to implement its enhanced health and safety procedures and guidelines focused on “screening, spacing and sanitization,” and those practices will be applied to all experiences taking place during the destination’s Holidays celebration. Key measures include screening guests and team members, enforcing social distancing, requiring face coverings, limiting capacity at the parks, attractions and hotels, and increasing cleaning and disinfection procedures and more.

For more information about Universal Orlando’s Holidays celebration and incredible deals for guests to take advantage of this season – including the limited-time “Get 3 Days Free When You Buy 2 Days” offer that is available for purchase through January 6, 2021; the “Get 3 Days for $55 per Day plus tax” offer for Florida residents that is available for purchase through December 17; and $100 savings on select annual and seasonal passes – visit www.UniversalOrlando.com.

448051710_WWOHP-DAHolidays.thumb.jpg.365760c2d20bdb1cec7455f98b8020d1.jpg

Universal Orlando has announced the grand opening date of Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites, as well as the reopening of Loews Portofino Bay Hotel! Dockside Inn and Suites will open to guests on December 15th and Portofino Bay will reopen on December 1st!

819861524_DocksideInnandSuites-Entrance.thumb.jpg.5fa36a858aeedb27a7593737b86be0f6.jpg

Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites, the newest hotel at Universal Orlando Resort, will open to guests for the first time on December 15, 2020 with an impressively low starting rate of $79 per night. Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando will also resume operations on December 1, 2020. Safety and well-being protocols will be in place throughout both hotels, as they are across all of Universal Orlando’s hotels and theme parks.

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel will welcome back guests with newly-renovated rooms and suites throughout the hotel. Guests can relax in surroundings inspired by the beauty, romance and charm of the picturesque seaside village of Portofino, Italy.  A stay at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel includes free Universal Express Unlimited benefits to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions at the theme parks. To book a stay, visit https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/places-to-stay/loews-portofino-bay-hotel.

735243227_LoewsPortofinoBayHotelGuestRoom3.thumb.jpg.94dc24fb623fa760d6f9af2ed29311fe.jpg

1350585976_LoewsPortofinoBayHotelGuestRoom.thumb.jpg.a15dd8370ec3ca966a771791c88bcff8.jpg

179206692_LoewsPortofinoBayHotelGuestRoom2.thumb.jpg.0d384e96a11d6e5ad20eac011d3d5f30.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites will be the second hotel in the destination’s Value category, joining sister property Surfside Inn and Suites. The extra-affordable resort will add 2,050 guest rooms, featuring standard rooms and spacious 2-Bedroom Suites. And with the low $79 per night rate, the all-new hotel creates a value experience that is unmatched in the Orlando area.

Brought to life by the award-winning Universal Creative team, Dockside Inn and Suites will make guests feel like they have escaped to the perfect sunset with the cool, calm feeling of a beach retreat. It’s the destination’s eighth property in partnership with Loews Hotels & Co, providing Universal Orlando guests with a variety of hotel options for every style and budget, complete with exclusive theme park benefits and a seamless vacation experience.

At Dockside Inn and Suites, guests can experience all that the hotel and Universal Orlando have to offer, including:

• 2-Bedroom Suites – These suites, which make up more than half the rooms at both Dockside Inn and Suites & Surfside Inn and Suites, sleep up to six and offer guests an unrivaled value. With two separate rooms, families no longer need two connecting rooms for extra space. There is also a kitchenette area, a picnic table for meals and hanging out, and a bathroom with separate bath and vanity areas so multiple people can get ready at once. The 2-Bedroom Suites begin as low as $120 per night based on a four-night stay.
  • Exclusive Theme Park Benefits – Hotel guests receive exclusive benefits including Early Park Admission to the theme parks, complimentary and convenient shuttle bus transportation, charging privileges with their room key and more.
  • Pier 8 Market – The all-American Pier 8 Market offers casual dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The menu will feature extra-affordable options with most dishes under $12, ranging from themed comfort foods to convenient on-the-go options.
  • Awesome Amenities – The lobby bar, Sunset Lounge, serves specialty cocktails and is the perfect place to unwind after a day at the theme parks. The hotel will feature two pools and two pool bars as well as a Universal Orlando Vacation Planning Center, Universal Studios Store and more.

To learn more about this brand new hotel or to make a reservation, call 1-888-464-3617 or visit http://www.universalorlando.com/dockside.

Universal Orlando continues to implement its enhanced health and safety procedures and guidelines focused on “screening, spacing and sanitization” across its entire destination, including its hotels. Key measures include requiring face coverings, requiring temperature checks for guests and team members, enhanced cleaning of guest rooms and public areas, managing capacity at food and beverage outlets, offering several contactless experiences and more. For more details on our safety measures, please visit: https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/safety-faqs.

Dockside Inn and Suites - The Sunset Lounge.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Pool.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Pier 8 Market.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Lobby.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Room 2-Bedroom Suite.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Room - Standard.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Lobby 2.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Pool Night.jpg

Dockside Inn and Suites - Pool Bar - Oasis Beach Bar.jpg

• Like 1

Starting at $79/ night, rate is only available for 3 rooms on a Wednesday in February but still, starting at $79/ night.

Seriously though I kind of forgot about this new property and don't think I've seen any pictures of it to date but it looks great. Not sure what kind of perks it comes with, being across the street isn't as convenient as being closer to the parks but I'd consider staying here sometime for sure.

Yeah but it’s also got a 6-car train. I imagine there’ll be some pretty decent whip in the back car even if it crawled over. I wasn’t expecting Xcelerator speed over the top hat, or Maverick intensity through the course. Probably dialed down a notch from those rides. 

1 hour ago, southpuddle said:

Yeah but it’s also got a 6-car train. I imagine there’ll be some pretty decent whip in the back car even if it crawled over. I wasn’t expecting Xcelerator speed over the top hat, or Maverick intensity through the course. Probably dialed down a notch from those rides. 

I wouldve liked Storm Runner style but I get that its a different audience

I don't think anyone can  judge a ride's speed by looking at off ride footage or POVs, especially when it's testing. Everytime we see a new coaster test it seems half the comments are about how fast it looks, while the other are about how slow it looks.

Besides the fact there are so many factors at play here (empty trains, different wheel composites, trying different launch speeds etc), it's just difficult to tell how a coaster will feel by just sitting and watching it on a computer screen.

For example, I always think Skyrush looks pretty average, but my shattered thigh bones beg to differ - not saying this will be anything like Skyrush, by the way, it's an example of expectation vs reality.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Haymaker said:

There's video of Velocicoaster testing on YouTube.... obviously its not the final product but it seems slower than id like going over the top hat.

Found the ACEr.

• Like 1