TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

It really is a shame to get rid of two really awesome coasters that people get off of and run back around to the re-ride area.

I waited at the exit today so that Elissa and Kristen could ride and that they didn't have to deal with the stupid lockers nonsense. I sat at watched so many people get off the ride and then immediately go to the re-ride line. Everyone that was leaving LOVED the ride. Talking about how great it was, etc.

Look, I get that they don't duel and that sucks. I haven't ridden them much since they stopped that and in fact, this was my first time riding since the stupid metal detectors and fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo were put in, but DAMN, they're still running amazing, just like they did in 1999.

I'm not one to get emotional or really care when a ride closes because they are just rides and their closure will not affect my life much at all. But we are used to seeing rides close that are arguably considered "not great." I can tell you I never once saw someone get out of Universe of Energy or Great Movie Ride going "WOW! That was awesome! Let's get back in line right now!!!" but that was almost the majority of what I saw at Dragons this morning.

The fact that Sinbad will remain while dragons gets scrapped is pretty harsh. Anyways, I've said my piece and I'm done. Here are some pix of KT!

It's decisions like these that have made us visit Universal less frequently. They just aren't building attractions that appeal to me, and instead of complaining about it on the internet, or getting weirdly emotional, I'll just choose to visit the parks that fit my personal preferences better, and wish Universal all the best with their future expansions.

I'm just hoping that Nintendo is the project that brings me back!

Edited by robbalvey

Went on them a couple weeks ago. As a person who doesn't really like inverted coasters, I don't mind them going, but I am concerned about the replacement.

If Universal ends up making an "all-screens" roller coaster like Gringotts, I will be upset! I hope they make something like Revenge of the Mummy, where the car continues to move (and doesn't stop at every set) and has a thrilling piece to it.

Universal has changed. That's fine-- and IMO, it's mostly for the better. But why Universal continues to keep The Lost Continent open shocks me. 2 meh at-best shows with a HUGE piece of land would be a prime place to expand Harry Potter. While I personally don't really care for the ride (I really like New Hulk), I think it's an odd move for Universal.

Now that KT has taken her only rides on Dragon Challenge (RIP), what do the parents think of the park removing a height requirement of 54" to one that is likely to be in the 42-48" range?

I'm all for 42" - 48" thrill rides, but in my constant yelling at parks to make sure areas within a park have something for everyone, Potter Hell already has a 36" ride, a 48" ride, a few shows, a zero height restriction train ride, and this big 54" ride so honestly I was okay with that.

Like others have said if this is some big, bad Dynamic Attractions / Intamin roller coaster...GREAT! But if I'm staring at a screen and wearing 3D googles and getting sprayed by water...well...

Now that KT has taken her only rides on Dragon Challenge (RIP), what do the parents think of the park removing a height requirement of 54" to one that is likely to be in the 42-48" range?

I'm all for 42" - 48" thrill rides, but in my constant yelling at parks to make sure areas within a park have something for everyone, Potter Hell already has a 36" ride, a 48" ride, a few shows, a zero height restriction train ride, and this big 54" ride so honestly I was okay with that.

Like others have said if this is some big, bad Dynamic Attractions / Intamin roller coaster...GREAT! But if I'm staring at a screen and wearing 3D googles and getting sprayed by water...well...

We always stress that parks need to have a balance of height restrictions for their attractions. I'm never a fan of a park taking out a 42" or 48" height restriction ride and replacing it with a 52" or 54" which happens far too often. But a good "balance" does have something for everyone, including older, taller kids. As Elissa already pointed out, but I'll even elaborate on it more, the Potter lands currently have:

0" - Train ride

36" - Flying Unicorn

42" - Gringott's

48" - Forbidden Journey

54" - Dueling Dragons

That right there is actually a "good balance" for the park. And while I would always welcome another attraction geared to lower height restrictions they didn't *need* to remove the 54" attraction to improve the balance.

I would have been all for a Hulk-like refurb of Dragons that includes the new trains used on Banshee to bring that height restriction down to 52". I think what it comes down to for me is that Dragon's IMO is not a bad ride or a "ride at the end of it's life" so when you see a ride like that being removed, it's just strange to me. But it's not as though Universal hasn't done this already with Jaws. That was another well-liked, still fairly popular ride in the park when it was removed.

Fun Fact! "Jaws" is actually our #1 YouTube video on TPR with nearly 70 million views! Another Fun Fact! Four of our all-time top thirty videos on our YouTube channel are Jaws ride videos!

Hmmm....

Edited by robbalvey

Went on them a couple weeks ago. As a person who doesn't really like inverted coasters, I don't mind them going

Universal has changed. That's fine-- and IMO, it's mostly for the better.

See, and this post right here is exactly why I cannot fault Universal for doing what they are doing. While I personally disagree with the points above, I get that the Universal park I used to frequent on our 1999 - 2010 visits to Orlando equally (if not sometimes more) than Disney has changed, and unfortunately changed into something that doesn't appeal to me as much. But I get that it appeals to other people and Universal has been successful with that, and I'm "OK" with that. It just means I'll be spending less time there and spending more time at other parks until they start to build more attractions that appeal to me.

As I said, hoping Nintendo is the project that brings me back.

I much prefer USJ's style. Here's Harry Potter land while we still keep Jaws. Now we've got a great area bringing in new crowds with low height restrictions, let's go to another franchise and put in a great B&M now for the older visitors then back to family again with yet another popular franchise (I'm not a fan of Minions and my avatar would suggest I should be upset but I'm not, it's a smart move on USJ's part and honestly how many visitors were really showing up for BttF) and now they're moving onto Nintendo Land before they potentially return to a Harry Potter expansion.

I just find it better and more balanced than USO's throwing everything at all being family screen rides with medium heights or everything Harry Potter.

I'd like to second what Robb said, Im probably not going back to Universal until the Nintendo project is complete. Just no need cause the interest isn't there with no dragons anymore and the removal of jaws. I wish they would stick to rides with more practical effects. Maybe Nintendo World can bring some of that back? Fingers crossed.

Agreed 100%. But knowing Universal, that's probably what's gonna happen.

I wish they would stick to rides with more practical effects. Maybe Nintendo World can bring some of that back? Fingers crossed.

The irony of Universal making completely practical effects based rides out of a property that is 100% screen based would be amazing and a very welcome change. I'm not holding my breath though.

^ The thing that scares me the most is as a big Jurassic Park fan (Not Jurassic World, gtfo with that nonsense) is that it is next on the chopping block. I know a Jurassic World retheme is lying in wait and what is easier than making all new dino animatronics? Computerized ones of course.

One of my biggest issues with Universal is that if you're under 36 inches there's not much for you to do at either park. A carousel, couple of flat rides, the train, and that's about it. Even the Cat in the Hat dark ride is 36" which never made any sense to me. I guess you can get a stationary seat for the Minions ride but a dark ride with no height restriction would be a great addition, maybe there will be something in Nintendo but I'm guessing not.

I really want to go back to Universal because there's so much new stuff I haven't seen but I'll probably wait a few more years until the kids are tall enough to actually do something.

One of my biggest issues with Universal is that if you're under 36 inches there's not much for you to do at either park. A carousel, couple of flat rides, the train, and that's about it.

Sadly, that's not their target. This was an ad they ran this year basically saying "Universal is for the older kids..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KWcYtHFyLQ

Of course they now say they are removing Dragons for a more "family" oriented roller coaster. So which is it, Universal? Are you targeting older kids that have "grown out" of Disney like this TV commercial implies, or are you targeting the same audience that goes to Disney? Or do you even know???

Edited by robbalvey

Yeah I totally get that my 2 year old isn't the target demographic but something, anything would be nice.

Volcano Bay is equally as frustrating, my kids LOVE water parks but everything there is 42" or over. Disney has body slides, tube slides, mat slides, and family raft slides with no height restriction, Volcano Bay 42" min. for just about everything.

It's cool though, no hard feelings, I'll just spend my money elsewhere.

Even the Cat in the Hat dark ride is 36" which never made any sense to me. I guess you can get a stationary seat for the Minions ride but a dark ride with no height restriction would be a great addition, maybe there will be something in Nintendo but I'm guessing not.

Fun fact! Cat in the Hat didn't always have a 36" height restriction. You just had to 'be able to walk'. I've never seen so many children pressured into their first steps in front of that ride so I suppose that's why they eventually had to enforce an actual 'provable' restriction!

Even the Cat in the Hat dark ride is 36" which never made any sense to me. I guess you can get a stationary seat for the Minions ride but a dark ride with no height restriction would be a great addition, maybe there will be something in Nintendo but I'm guessing not.

Fun fact! Cat in the Hat didn't always have a 36" height restriction. You just had to 'be able to walk'. I've never seen so many children pressured into their first steps in front of that ride so I suppose that's why they eventually had to enforce an actual 'provable' restriction!

"There's too much rain and not enough sun,

But you must be 36 inches to have any fun!"

"There's too much rain and not enough sun,

But you must be 36 inches to have any fun!"

Starting in 2005, I used to go down to Universal/IOA on a regular basis. I may have had a slight obsession with Dueling Dragons so I have quite a few photos from over the years. I wanted to share with you some of my favorites.

IMG_8162.JPG.8341790a022ea998685e094e5249bc03.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG.eb0aa429b0397d9cf44a43b865432009.JPG

IMG_8178.JPG.26371a4578942310cad7c098cc42b8a7.JPG

IMG_8177.JPG.d91df244645b9a7bfb029e436c1677ed.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG.d7fb4fec0e26062bc8181cc838d35356.JPG

IMG_8166.JPG.d0399e29e820292ab3d11b752412bb03.JPG

IMG_8172.JPG.493480724595ee9c5c1b2b5cca92ac83.JPG

IMG_8170.JPG.dc011598737b3f9e62a0ebe56e4ba365.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG.f4af3095e70177c2ebd934f5802b062b.JPG

IMG_9033.JPG.7b9ca52020ee45b346eaff959b881743.JPG

IMG_9024.JPG.25883e677c8f2d75cd42edfdd872e400.JPG

IMG_9022.JPG.6322b76560eee940dc3e46d2c3d6b633.JPG

IMG_9032.JPG.fa64075ddfa1c33679529e6486ac4ef3.JPG

IMG_9023.JPG.8d81b7659ee004d6f9dd278f40faae41.JPG

IMG_9028.JPG.d64c3907a72a5d7a8b5b4a1e6c0f50c0.JPG

A very rare selfie, taken in 2005.

IMG_9020.JPG.0417378c709c8be181b703b479fb2b13.JPG

The best sign ever.

IMG_9019.JPG.602bb66c80b398b1206f02024e0e1d46.JPG

IMG_8175.JPG.c3a7a1898883856a4d7562ad9147d1fc.JPG

IMG_9021.JPG.26c881b2fa8e48d7e15adeafc758eb5e.JPG

This was my favorite shirt.

IMG_8181.JPG.823ce6631c70a232d453303e739b9c95.JPG

IMG_8174.JPG.6ee8ad1f06f9af9ff35e24a60e728af9.JPG

IMG_8176.JPG.6ebaccc6824a17ade08cbc9f692aa886.JPG

IMG_9025.JPG.430d3ac61ee918de2361aab32cd334be.JPG

IMG_9027.JPG.2aef877c0ab8dc19d0c440d44109f744.JPG

IMG_9029.JPG.2144756d2cc668c72e6f39595dbb676a.JPG

When the Dragons were repainted, this wall was placed in front of the entrance.

IMG_9030.JPG.cdcac5c92890ed2da0afff7d9fcc50ca.JPG

I think it is a pretty cool logo.

IMG_8165.JPG.5b79fb7caffdf2feed35948180aa78b0.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG.cd2e79d03696622aa1744964a921ae3d.JPG

IMG_8169.JPG.87b477bf414f198284d530a20464094a.JPG

IMG_8932.JPG.7f9872e8f67c0c6ecc2f770b14d50da3.JPG

You could tell how happy I was with the new entrance of the ride.

Great photos, Erik. Damn, I wish had the opportunity to ride DDs like you and others did, back then.

Thanks for sharing a really good look at all of it, from queues to that re-ride sign, LOL!

This is the first I've posted on the subject, and probably the last, but dang... I LOVED Dueling Dragons (never been there since they've been neutered to Dragon Challenge), and will miss them VERY, VERY much! They were definitely in my upper echelon of B&M Inverts, and coasters in general, just for the experience, and the cool and unique dueling aspect of the ride. I understand that they lost some of that already, which is a shame. But still, even without the dueling, it sounds like they were running great, so they'll be a great loss to the coaster community... RIP, Dueling Dragons... You WILL be missed...

(Thanks for those pictures Erik! They brought back a lot of memories, and prompted me to actually post!)