TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

^ Well, "for the record"... I am skipping travels in 2018 so I can afford 2019: That being two trips to both Knott's and Disney Resort.

The first is during Boysenberry Festival at Knott's. The second is (hopefully) a future WCB (w/o SFMM) and the New Star Wars Land in DLR in Sept.!

So, now ya know. And pardon for the sidebar, guys. Now, back to UNIVERSAL Orlando....... AWESOMENESS!

Honestly, Shining is not a good scary movie! I feel the only reason it's popular is because it's cult following spread to the internet and it went viral. Couldn't make it 30 minutes into the film. If Universal is gonna do houses based on IPs, stick to actual HORROR films like Halloween & The Purge.

Uh, wait, did you see the one from 1980 or Stephen King's own (sucky) version from 1997? Bless your heart regardless.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Internet was the thing that made it popular. I mean, there were those millions of people who bought the book in 1977 and made it Stephen King's first bestseller, and also those millions of people who went to see the 1980 movie by the acclaimed director of Doctor Zhivago and 2001: A Space Odyssey, both of which were on AFI's list of the 100 best movies of the twentieth century--but you're right, it was definitely some people on the Internet twenty years later.

Stanley Kubrick directed Doctor Strangelove not Zhivago. But otherwise you're completely right. No one knew of those movies until the internet showed up and a bunch of annoying fanboys started insisting that they were good. Fortunately there are brave souls out there who dare to stand up against cultural elitism, who know quality movies when they see them. Like 'The Purge'.

Stanley Kubrick directed Doctor Strangelove not Zhivago.

Yes, thank you. I meant Strangelove. But you are totally correct. The world suffered without any good horror/suspense movies until The Purge, though we did come dangerously close to a minimum standard of quality with Saw VI and Blair Witch 3: We Bet You Remember You Liked This Movie But Not Any of the Reasons It Sucked

Anyway, I'm a fan of Stephen King, so it'd be cool to experience this. Looks like they've done it well, too. I enjoyed Walking Dead despite not really being a fan of this sort of thing. Universal just really knows what they're doing with haunted houses.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Internet was the thing that made it popular. I mean, there were those millions of people who bought the book in 1977 and made it Stephen King's first bestseller, and also those millions of people who went to see the 1980 movie by the acclaimed director of Doctor Zhivago and 2001: A Space Odyssey, both of which were on AFI's list of the 100 best movies of the twentieth century--but you're right, it was definitely some people on the Internet twenty years later.

Stanley Kubrick directed Doctor Strangelove not Zhivago. But otherwise you're completely right. No one knew of those movies until the internet showed up and a bunch of annoying fanboys started insisting that they were good. Fortunately there are brave souls out there who dare to stand up against cultural elitism, who know quality movies when they see them. Like 'The Purge'.

The Purge. One of the worst Horror movies I've ever seen!! Ha. I actually do not even call it a horror flick. I call it a comedy, because it was so bad.

We have a member there preparing a full Photo and Video Trip Report from yesterday and today. There are A LOT of issues today that hopefully they can work out quickly with a holiday weekend fast approaching.

Wow.

Well, can anyone answer if Hulk was getting rough pre 2016? Because if not, they really really messed up!

Regardless, ride was very rough, very disappointing. I'd dare say Hollywood was my favorite coaster of the parks.

I recently rode Hulk, and it was extremely smooth. Do you have a very low pain tolerance? It has snappy elements, which may cause you to whack your head, but other than that, it's an amazing ride.

Not at all, I actually like rough rides, even ones like Hercules that no one seemed to and I have a normal to good tolerance. Not like this was my first rodeo lol just it was a bad ride I had. And to be fair the coaster IS amazing that's beyond question

I'm taking a trip to Orlando sometime during the summer with my family and it will be about 10-12 of us. We are trying to figure out which universal park(s) to go to. It's about 4 coaster riders and 2 kiddie riders. We most likely won't go to volcano bay, but which park is worth the price or has more to offer, islands of adventure, studios, or both?

Speaking of Stanely Kubrick, you know that it's a fact that the entire moon landing was filmed by Kubrick don't you? It's true. That's why he left so many clues to that fact in The Shining. The thing is though that he was such a perfectionist that he insisted on shooting on location.

Bah Dum Tss!

^^Check the height of your "kiddie riders" because EVERYTHING at Universal has a height restriction, even like the the Minions ride has a 40" restriction. I've got little kids and haven't been to Universal for a few years because there's just not a whole lot for them to do there.

So has anyone heard yet that Volcano Bay opened yesterday? There was already an ungoldly amount of public coverage on YouTube on top of media coverage. TPR has videos uploaded already for it.

I know Robb's probably working on a report (and that's why I won't post the videos here), but I'm just saying that I'm surprised there wasn't a blimp about it here in the USO Discussion Thread.

To anyone who visited VB yesterday, how was it?

Speaking of height restrictions, not that anyone cares, but I just noticed Universal's website now has the rider requirement info for the Volcano Bay Attractions listed (it may have been there before I don't know), and every attraction other than lazy river, wave pool, and the Tot Tiki reef is 42" or higher. This isn't a knock on Universal (lots of other water parks are the same way) but I always find it interesting how Disney can have mat slides, 1&2 person tube slides, and family raft slides with no height restriction where everywhere else has a minimum.

I will say the aqua coaster and pretty much everything but the body slides are 42" so that's nice.

^Oh trust me, a lot of us have been talking about the height restrictions. Universal advertises itself as the 'older kids' park and I guess they're doubling down on that with the crazy height restrictions.

We had people at the park the last couple of days. I would think that most people who are on this board are smart enough NOT to go yet until the kinks get worked out. There are a lot of growing pains which is why perhaps you don't see too much written here. The park has a ton of potential if they can make it work. Look for a big TR coming soon.

I've kept a sharp eye on VB over the past couple of days to hear of the park. It looks incredible! I'm hearing the green slide in the volcano is being touted as the most intense slide anyone's ever ridden. Also figured as much there would be a large rush of visitors to the park first day, but as someone over Twitter pointed out, it apparently had not hit capacity... that has me a little worried.

Still, can't wait to hear how all those kinks smooth out over time and if they find a perfect rhythm to work with.

We had people at the park the last couple of days. I would think that most people who are on this board are smart enough NOT to go yet until the kinks get worked out. There are a lot of growing pains which is why perhaps you don't see too much written here. The park has a ton of potential if they can make it work. Look for a big TR coming soon.

We've got a trip planned to USO in August, so hopefully the kinks will all be worked out by then. I will say that the water coaster POV looks awesome and I can't wait to ride it. We are staying at Cabana Bay and I read that there's a dedicated entry to Volcano Bay from Cabana Bay. Plus we get in an hour early staying there, so I'm hoping to knock out the water coaster a few times before it opens to the GP.