TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I still think they would be stupid not to put a giant Harry Potter hotel in that area. They would be printing money.

100% Facts.

I guess Universal is reallt at Rowling's mercy then when it comes to rides and the entire Harry Potter land. I understand they have put so much into Harry Potter because it generates the most revenue. It just sucks it may be at the expense of premier unique attractions. Going back to what Robb said, Dueling Dragons could be the first completly defunct B&M if im not mistaken.

I'm headed to Orlando in August, so I hope they at least stay around for the summer. I've been telling my kids about them for years, so I'd like for them to get the chance to finally ride them. I know it's not the same since they stopped dueling (thankfully my first visit to IOA was when they were dueling), but they are still some of my favorite B&M inverts and the lines are never too long.

I still think they would be stupid not to put a giant Harry Potter hotel in that area. They would be printing money.

Yes!!! Four wings, each themed to one of the houses. A back door onto the park like Disney's Grand Californian has. I'll take a room in Ravenclaw, please.

100% Facts.

I guess Universal is really at Rowling's mercy then when it comes to rides and the entire Harry Potter land. I understand they have put so much into Harry Potter because it generates the most revenue. It just sucks it may be at the expense of premier unique attractions. Going back to what Robb said, Dueling Dragons could be the first completely defunct B&M if I'm not mistaken.

I can understand wanting to collaborate with the creator just like Disney did with James Cameron but I think it'd be crazy to allow them dictate what rides can and can't stay just because the creator doesn't like a particular ride. I'm like everyone else the screen rides are cool but not multiple versions of them that just gets boring.

Yes!!! Four wings, each themed to one of the houses. A back door onto the park like Disney's Grand Californian has. I'll take a room in Ravenclaw, please.

And this is EXACTLY why ripping out Dragons and dropping a hotel there would be a brilliant idea. Even if I don't understand some of the words you said in your sentence!

*Note that I have no idea if this is even in the plans at all...I'm just speculating based on nothing I've heard.

And this is EXACTLY why ripping out Dragons and dropping a hotel there would be a brilliant idea. Even if I don't understand some of the words you said in your sentence!

*Note that I have no idea if this is even in the plans at all...I'm just speculating based on nothing I've heard.

Oh yeah, I got that it's speculation. I'm just young enough that I caught the very beginning of Harry Potter and folllowed it all the way through, even though I was actually married by the time the last book cane out. I loved Wizarding World in Hollywood, and I have plans...eventually...to take the family to Orlando to experience it here. Universal is totally marketing this to people like me who remember Harry Potter from their childhood and want to pass it on.

I do have friends who are only a few years older who missed Harry Potter entirely, and consequently don't care about it at all, so I totally get that. In 1997 I was 12 and a total nerd, so an 11 year old wizard was pretty relevant to me at the time, and that's cemented its importance to me.

As much fun as I had in Hollywood, if it weren't for Potter I really wouldn't be itching to go back. All the screen rides were cool and different from what I had ever experienced (but again I live in Midwestern farm country), yet Jurassic Park was actually my favourite ride there. The imposing physical sets, lighting effects, the T Rex animatronic at the end, it was wonderful.

Rowling wants everything to be perfect, the show buildings have to be completely hidden from within the land for instance.

I mean, hiding show buildings from guests is pretty common practice in all destination theme parks unless the story / theme calls for it, the obvious exceptions being "soundstage" buildings like in Universal Studios Florida and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/hhn27-american-horror-story/

American-Horror-Story-Returns-to-Universal-Orlandos-Halloween-Horror-Nights-1170x731.thumb.jpg.70b8a20823e20446ed2d5de6b4e0fb31.jpg

You’ve been patiently waiting for the first house reveal of Halloween Horror Nights 27, and this one won’t disappoint. I’m excited to announce we’re bringing back FX’s American Horror Story for a second year.

This all-new house will feature brand new content from Season 2: Asylum, Season 3: Coven and Season 6: Roanoke. And to really blow it out, we’re using our largest floor plan—aka our uber-maze—to bring to life the three incredibly detailed seasons.

American Horror Story has some of the most intricate and intimidating characters I’ve ever seen. We’ve worked hard to once again bring this unique anthology to life, recreating the series with every turn of this maze.

In Asylum, travel through the decades of the notorious Briarcliff – evade Dr. Arden’s grotesque human “Rasper”experiments and come face to “face” with the serial killer, Bloody Face.

New Orleans aesthetics will surround, as you’re drawn into the wrath of descendants of the Salem witches and their unquenchable thirst for power in Coven.

And finally, relive the horrific story of the Millers in Roanoke – where you’ll be at the mercy of Piggy, the grisly Polk family and the ghosts of the blood moon.

With the help of series creator Ryan Murphy and 20th Century Fox, we’ve perfectly captured the environments, moments and scares American Horror Story entails.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 is going to be incredible and over the next several months you’re going to be hearing from three talented (and equally twisted) members of my Creative Development Team, Show Directors Patrick Braillard, Charles Gray, and Blake Braswell. They will be announcing everything from houses to scare zones to show slates.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 is shaping up to be one for the books, so stay tuned for more.

It’s never too early to start panicking. Make sure to grab your tickets now, and I’ll see you there!

Edited by jedimaster1227

Rowling wants everything to be perfect, the show buildings have to be completely hidden from within the land for instance.

I mean, hiding show buildings from guests is pretty common practice in all destination theme parks unless the story / theme calls for it, the obvious exceptions being "soundstage" buildings like in Universal Studios Florida and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

While hiding the show buildings might not really be the best example. JK Rowling has more control than most of the public realize. She has final say over everything from the food served in the restaurants to the items sold in the stores. Which is why the stores in the Harry Potter areas of the park do not sell generic Universal merchandise and the restaurants do not serve Coke products. The plates, cups, etc are also unique and not used in the rest of the park.

I do think it is important to point out that JK Rowling has to approve changes to the Wizarding World. If Universal is happy to just leave it as is and operate it without changes then there is no need to get Rowling involved. But I suspect similar to the replacement of Hulk, Dueling Dragons is approaching the end of its life. It is possible that Universal decided that they want to go in a completely different direction for the replacement on their own.

There has been a rumor around for a few years that JK Rowling absolutely hates Dueling Dragons and originally wanted it removed but Universal was not willing at the time. Obviously Rowling was talked out of the demand but I have heard she has required that other Universal parks are not allowed to build anything similar within their Wizarding World areas. Rowling wants everything to be perfect, the show buildings have to be completely hidden from within the land for instance. The problem to Rowling at least is a pair of big visible coasters in the middle of Hogsmeade.

The rides take up a large area and it should be possible to build a dark ride and still have enough room for a major coaster the size of one side of Dueling Dragons. When I was looking at a satellite view I was guessing the location is large enough to fit two copies of forbidden journey. But getting approval for a new coaster without putting it inside a show building or building a lot of theming will be difficult.

She must not have payed very close attention to USH then if she's concerned about hiding show buildings....

There has been a rumor around for a few years that JK Rowling absolutely hates Dueling Dragons and originally wanted it removed but Universal was not willing at the time. Obviously Rowling was talked out of the demand but I have heard she has required that other Universal parks are not allowed to build anything similar within their Wizarding World areas. Rowling wants everything to be perfect, the show buildings have to be completely hidden from within the land for instance. The problem to Rowling at least is a pair of big visible coasters in the middle of Hogsmeade.

The rides take up a large area and it should be possible to build a dark ride and still have enough room for a major coaster the size of one side of Dueling Dragons. When I was looking at a satellite view I was guessing the location is large enough to fit two copies of forbidden journey. But getting approval for a new coaster without putting it inside a show building or building a lot of theming will be difficult.

She must not have payed very close attention to USH then if she's concerned about hiding show buildings....

Or Japan. The lake is nice though.

Image source

There is a Universal Orlando Blgo post up this morning with some more details on Volcano Bay tickets, which are now on sale. Looks like there will be single day tickets for sale ($67) and there will also be Express Pass available, which is interesting. Single day tickets, Express Pass, and a virtual line system, we'll see how that works out.

One other note, it looks like the Express Pass will not be valid on the Krakatau Aqua Coaster.

volcano bay tickets on sale 2017

Universal also introduced new three-park passes that include Volcano Bay. Those generally cost $100 more than the traditional ones. Most Universal passholders can upgrade by paying an additional $99.

For Florida residents, three-park passes start at $358.99 for passes that have blockout dates during Christmas, spring break and summer. Preferred passes with no blockout dates cost $448.99.

Premier passes which include other perks such as free Hallowene Horror Nights tickets will cost $638.99. It will cost an additional $149 to upgrade to those passes.

So the APs that already pay the most have to pay $50 more for the water park than the cheaper passes?

So the APs that already pay the most have to pay $50 more for the water park than the cheaper passes?

Yeah, because they want to make sure if APs go to the water park that they limit it as much as possible during the prime season for water parks and make it as comfortable for their resort guests as they can.

One other note, it looks like the Express Pass will not be valid on the Krakatau Aqua Coaster.

Wait, what??? Isn't the WHOLE POINT of buying the Express Pass to bypass the lines on the more signature attractions??? I really hope that's not actually the case.

Assuming the Dragons track is reaching the end of its life, how are Kumba and Montu able to keep going? Granted, I know Kumba is closing for a refurb so that may be exactly what they're doing. (Sorry if OT.)

Hi, welcome to the Universal thread. Last I checked Montu and Kumba do not exist at Universal. Maybe you should try posting in the thread that is more appropriate. Thanks.

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us a press release announcing new ticket options for guests seeking to visit Volcano Bay and beyond.

Today, Universal Orlando Resort revealed more ways guests can experience the highly-anticipated water theme park – Universal’s Volcano Bay, giving them more flexibility to plan their visit.

When it grand opens on May 25, Universal’s Volcano Bay will become Universal Orlando’s third amazing theme park and will feature a variety of experiences ranging from daring to serene, offering something for everyone.

Volcano Bay’s new offerings provide a variety of choices that allow guests to shape their experience – from new 3-Park Annual Pass products to special Florida resident ticket options. Here’s a look at the new options now available to help guests plan the ultimate Universal Orlando Resort vacation.

Florida Resident 3-Park Multi-Day Tickets (Starting at $199.99 per adult – Less than $67 per day)

• The Florida Resident 3-Park Multi-Day Ticket entitles one guest admission to all three of Universal Orlando’s theme parks: Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal’s Volcano Bay.
  • Options available from 2 to 3 days in duration
  • Valid up to 180 days after purchase

Universal Orlando Resort 3-Park Passes – Florida Residents (Starting as low as $17.38 per month*)

• Includes admission to Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure AND Universal’s Volcano Bay Water Theme Park, plus special benefits exclusive to Annual Passholders including discounts and perks, free admission to special events and more.
  • Four different pass options are available
  • *FlexPay option is available with low monthly payment rates after one initial down payment

Universal’s Volcano Bay 1-Day Admission Ticket (Starting at $67 per adult)

• Allows guests one-day admission to Universal’s Volcano Bay.

Universal’s Volcano Bay Express Pass (Starting at $19.99 per person)

• With Universal Express, guests can bypass the Virtual Line experience and enjoy Volcano Bay’s rides at their convenience.
  • Universal Express Unlimited (unlimited Express ride access at participating rides within Universal’s Volcano Bay) is also available

For more information and to purchase these brand-new ticket options, visit http://www.UniversalOrlando.com.

Additional ways guests can enhance their visit to Volcano Bay, such as Cabana Rentals and Premium Seating Reservations, will go on-sale soon.

For information, offers and to purchase tickets for Universal’s Volcano Bay, visit http://www.UniversalOrlando.com. Stay tuned to the Universal Orlando Blog for more information on Volcano Bay.

1650284362_UniversalOrlandoLaunchesNewOptionsforGueststoExperienceUniversalsVolcanoBay.thumb.jpg.f99ef2d516ffc85de7760e532a237925.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227