TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Sounds like they're adapting the HP wand technology to be used all around the park, only they realized they won't be able to sell generic effects like they can sell HP merch. We'll see how long it lasts until they attempt to capitalize on it or just eliminate it.

That annoucement about Volcano Bay sounds really promising!

-

Back on Fallon a bit, I heard that it won't even be a Flying Theater as we know it (a Soarin'-like attraction), but rather a more traditionnal motion simulator. They might have said flying theater figuratively, as "the theater you'll be seated in will fly", you know.

By the way, if you are tired of the good ol' realistic Soarin' film(s), try this EPIC fantasy themed version!

I'm really curious to see how the virtual lines will work out since everyone in the park will be using it. If it becomes successful I'm curious to see if they eventually add these to their other parks as well and possibly other theme parks start trying stuff like this as well.

Sounds like they're adapting the HP wand technology to be used all around the park, only they realized they won't be able to sell generic effects like they can sell HP merch. We'll see how long it lasts until they attempt to capitalize on it or just eliminate it.

It's literally what Yas Waterworld already does.

Back on Fallon a bit, I heard that it won't even be a Flying Theater as we know it (a Soarin'-like attraction), but rather a more traditionnal motion simulator. They might have said flying theater figuratively, as "the theater you'll be seated in will fly", you know.

With the whole world's first thing and if it was a more traditional simulator I have to wonder if they would use the Intamin dome theater that was in Robb's iaapa coverage last year: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/Simulators/Dome+Ride+Theater+80/tabid/137/ProductNumber/Dome+Ride+Theater+80/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Edit just noticed Intamin has their own flying cinema: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/Simulators/Panoramic+Flight+Simulator/tabid/137/ProductNumber/Panoramic+Flight+Simulator/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Edited by Garet

Frankly, I don't care if the Jimmy Fallon ride system is a "flying theatre." I don't care if they shoot guests out of a cannon. I just can't work up any excitement for this ride.

I mean I'll probably give it a try, but the concept just doesn't interest me.

What the Fallon ride does is provide a simple opportunity to re-theme the ride for any style of comedy show. Fallon, Colbert, Stewart, etc. There can also be seasonal overlays with this.

It's something that people will ride once, and then not again unless there's significant change.

Of course, this could end up being an amazing ride that we never paid much attention to, but there's a small, small chance of that.

#BREAKINGNEWS: Introducing our newest on-site hotel, Universal’s #AventuraHotel. Opening Summer 2018.

Universals-Aventure-Hotel-Pool-Rendering-1170x731.thumb.jpg.7493844f5624693deb8fa55743f66b8e.jpg

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/universals-aventura-hotel-2018/

In the summer of 2018, you’ll be able to step inside Universal’s Aventura Hotel – the next incredible addition to the Universal Orlando hotel collection. It will offer yet another value priced option when choosing from the wide range of hotels at our destination and will bring affordable-chic to life on-site.

You’ll arrive to a 16-story tower that soars through the Florida sky, with sunshine and clouds reflecting in its all-glass design.

If you’re wowed by the outside, just wait until you walk into the open, loft-inspired lobby, where the sunshine will stream in through 18-foot windows. Those same windows will also provide a view outside to the pool level. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves…

After checking in and grabbing a drink from the lobby bar, it’s time to check out your modern and serene guest room, designed with refreshing, natural colors – think sea blue and rose – to ease you into vacation mode. Gaze out your room’s floor-to-ceiling windows as all of Universal Orlando Resort spreads out before you. The first choice you’ll have to make after arriving at Universal’s Aventura Hotel is, “Where to first?”

Neighboring Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Universal’s Aventura Hotel will be just steps away from Universal Orlando’s theme parks – Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure, and Universal’s Volcano Bay (opening early summer 2017). And all of it will be accessible by walking paths or complimentary shuttle service right from the hotel.

But the fun doesn’t end when you leave the theme parks. Unwind at the hotel with a soak in the crystal clear pool or poolside hot tub – with a cocktail from the pool bar, perhaps? Meanwhile, the kids expend the rest of their energy on the nearby splash pad.

When it’s time to eat, there will be plenty of choices within the hotel. On the lobby level, a casual food hall with five different cuisine options will appeal to all different taste buds. Have a seat and eat in, or grab and go back to your room.

The area of the hotel I know I’m most looking forward to is the rooftop bar, a first at Universal Orlando. Here you’ll be able to enjoy craft cocktails and small plates while soaking in the incredible panoramic views – you’ll almost be level with the tip of nearby Krakatau, the 200-foot-tall centerpiece of Universal’s Volcano Bay.

Need a quick pick-me-up before heading to Universal CityWalk for the night? Starbucks will be ready with your venti in the lobby on your way out the door.

And, of course, guests staying at Universal’s Aventura Hotel will receive Early Park Admission to Universal’s theme parks as well as complimentary on-site transportation.

We’re thrilled to introduce Universal’s Aventura Hotel to you today. You can start making reservations in just a few short months. In the meantime, start dreaming about being one of the first to stay at this stunning, new hotel.

Sign up for emails and stay tuned to the blog for details. We look forward to welcoming you in Summer 2018.

Universals-Aventura-Hotel-Entrance-Rendering.thumb.jpg.08cbf44d4abdf9dc3078cec7e1113a7a.jpg

Universals-Aventura-Hotel-Lobby-Rendering.thumb.jpg.e659f2aba36e6f163825b5e700270f5f.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release about a new VIP Experience offered for guests at Blue Man Group!

Blue Man Group at Universal Orlando Resort is giving guests an unforgettable opportunity to go behind-the-scenes at the Orlando production of Blue Man Group with a newly-enhanced VIP Experience.

On the tour, VIP guests will explore backstage areas and inner-workings generally off-limits to non-show personnel. Highlights include a history of the Blue Man Group creative collective accompanied by rarely seen photographs and company artifacts, a brief history of the Orlando theatre, a hands-on opportunity to play a Blue Man instrument and explore the band tribal make up, and a glimpse into the work it takes to produce the show night after night.

“We are thrilled to offer this unique and exclusive experience to our guests,” said Ola Wawryn, Resident General Manager of Blue Man Group at Universal Orlando Resort. “The new VIP Experience provides a true ‘glimpse behind the curtain’ for our guests and gives them the opportunity to experience our show from another perspective while receiving the ultimate VIP service.”

The Blue Man Group at Universal Orlando Resort VIP Experience includes:

• An exclusive behind-the-scenes pre-show tour, including:
  • A glimpse of Blue Man Group history and artifacts
  • The opportunity to play a Blue Man Group instrument
  • The chance to try on the band’s fluorescent makeup
  • Some of the best seats in the theater for the Blue Man Group performance
  • Complimentary souvenir program, VIP lanyard, popcorn and soda
  • Private meet-and-greet with a Blue Man after the show
  • A free download of “Creature Feature” off of Blue Man Group’s latest album THREE

The Blue Man Group VIP Experience is available for all performances. Participating guests must check-in one-hour prior to show time and will be greeted by a VIP tour guide. Tickets are $199 (plus tax) for adults, $149 for children ages 3-9 and can be purchased now by visiting universalorlando.com/blueman, calling 407.BLUE.MAN, or by visiting the Blue Man Group Box Office or any Universal Orlando Resort theme park ticket window.

For more information, please visit universalorlando.com/blueman or call 407.BLUE.MAN. Fans may keep up with Blue Man Group through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or the hashtag #DareToLive.

879962304_BlueManGroupVIPCreditKellyDayPhotography.thumb.jpg.08c1a6d5edd9ef61d2900e097d9b60e7.jpg

Photo Credit: Kelly Day Photography

It is hard to keep up with all that Universal is doing at once!

-Newly Opened Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

-New Coke Store by MIB

-Volcano Bay

-Jimmy Fallon

-Aventura Hotel

-Cabana Bay Hotel Expansion

-Fast & Furious

-Wet n Wild Closing

-Purchasing of new land off of I-drive

Even though I'm getting a bit irritated of all of the screen based rides, I am excited to see all of these new additions! I wonder what the Universal Orlando Resort will be like 10 years from now!

Edited by chargersmichael

It seems Universal Orlando is going through a "renaissance" period. Beginning with Hogsmeade in 2011, this new hotel is just another step on the long journey the resort has gone through to try competing with Disney. Not only have the parks been expanding and improving exponentially, but the new hotels, Volcano Bay, and a renovated CityWalk all make for a cohesive experience. I think in 10 years the resort from a distance won't look much different (kind of running out of space), but smaller additions will be made, and attractions that are lacking will be replaced (I'm looking at you Shrek 4-D).

I like that Comcast is re-investing all that Potter money back into the property. All of these improvements and additions are really making The Universal resort a great stand alone option in Orlando. With another Potter franchise on the horizon, a Nintendo license, and other cool IP's Universal is poised to really start to challenge Disney.

A lot of people like to hate on Comcast, but man have they invested in Universal Orlando! I mean, I'm used to there being a new (small) addition to each Six Flags park every year, but the way they have been going, Universal has had at least one new attraction open every year for the past few years and seems poised to continue doing that into the future. And these aren't small, minor attractions, these are big, high budget additions! And on top of that, they have doubled (I'm pretty sure) the number of hotels they had just a few years ago, have added a new waterpark (which looks to be poised to be one of the top water parks on earth) and seem to be just a couple years (maybe less) away from announcing a third "dry" park. All in all, it's Universal's way of trying to boost their own numbers but it certainly is working out to the benefit of the amusement park enthusiast!

^True. I love the new attractions they have added, but I absolutely hate the way they have managed their parks in recent years. If you wonder why, look a few pages back and observe the discussion on metal detectors in queues.

In a strange way, the current management of Universal sort of reminds me of Premier/Six Flags in the early 2000's. They are really building some great stuff, but are operating their parks poorly from a guest perspective. However, the difference is that Universal has been financially successful, while Premier/Six Flags expanded their parks in such a way that bankrupted the company, closed the largest amusement park in the world (Geauga Lake), and turn some parks into shadows of their former self (Elitch Gardens).

• 3 weeks later...

Nintendo attractions are now confirmed for all three Universal resorts

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/nintendo-universal-parks/

Last year, I let you know about a new partnership between Universal Parks & Resorts and Nintendo. Today, I am going to update you on this historic collaboration – and share a glimpse at the creative vision behind it.

Imagine the fun of stepping into a larger-than-life Nintendo adventure. Gigantic Piranha Plants spring to life. Question blocks, power-ups and more surround you. And Mario and all his friends are there to pull you into a brand-new world.

You’ll enter an entire realm filled with iconic Nintendo excitement, gameplay, heroes and villains. And it’s coming to three Universal theme parks around the globe.

• Nintendo-themed areas are coming to Universal Studios Japan, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood.
  • These will be expansive, immersive and interactive. They’ll be highly themed and authentic environments filled with multiple attractions, shops and restaurants.
    You’ll feel as if you’re playing inside your favorite games – in real life.
  • There will be something for everyone—regardless of their age or gaming experience level.
  • Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years.

Shigeru Miyamoto, of Nintendo, and Mark Woodbury, President of Universal Creative, recently sat down to talk about the two teams working together. Along with reviewing potential designs for the land, they also discussed what fans can look forward to experiencing as these exciting plans come to life.

The goal of everyone on this project is clear: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special.

All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you – in breathtakingly authentic ways.

Each Universal theme park will announce details of its specific Nintendo areas. The first such announcement will come soon.

Nintendo_Featured-1170x731.thumb.jpg.b63b2b0db6bca514434777e93abbe970.jpg

Nintendo_Featured2.thumb.jpg.7a897555ea40aace20ee2f320bbe93ac.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Hmm interesting. Not sure where this will go, but seems like a natural fit to replace Toon Lagoon at IOA. The theme of that area features comic strips and cartoons that most kids have never even heard of, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to completely retheme the two existing water rides. Seems like that area is ripe for an upgrade though and this would be a natural fit.

Of course it could also go back in the kids area at US, which would mean closing one of the last old school US holdovers, ET.

Hmm interesting. Not sure where this will go, but seems like a natural fit to replace Toon Lagoon at IOA. The theme of that area features comic strips and cartoons that most kids have never even heard of, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to completely retheme the two existing water rides. Seems like that area is ripe for an upgrade though and this would be a natural fit.

Of course it could also go back in the kids area at US, which would mean closing one of the last old school US holdovers, ET.

I wouldn't mind seeing it go back in US and replace Curious George, barney, etc... I'm hoping they don't get rid of E.T. It needs some updating, but it will always be one of my favorite rides in the park.