TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^When it comes to the metal detectors, it is not about waiting an extra five minutes. If they were truly necessary for saftey, then the USO parks would not be literally two out of the three parks in the entire Western World who have them. The only other park known to have them is Morey's, and even they have them in just one coaster. I am against them strongly for two reasons:

1. I dislike the idea of being separated from my phone and trusting a locker. (I can deal with being away from my phone from an hour, but it's separation makes me worry)

2. It shows how they view their guests. Or more specifically, they distrust their guests.

3. They have a terrible system, and show no interest in fixing it. I would be fine with this if they redid the stations to have lockers in them. They have not done this, and there is no excuse for not doing this with Universal's budget. Also, they could install nets on coasters.

I know that a specific incident happened here, but Dragons does not even duel anyway. When Magic Mountain can trust its clientele with a (theoretical) dueling coaster, and Six Flags America can trust its guests with a VR headset, while Universal will not even trust its guests with a penny in a zipped pocket (not exaggerating), you have serious problems.

Also, this is not always a "five minute inconviennce." I have heard stories of people waiting up to 90 minutes for a locker.

It would be a much better, customer friendly and surely cost effective option to set up baggage holds in the station or even the 'cloak room' style system that have been becoming more common place in recent years. I don't know if these are used elsewhere, but at the Merlin parks in the UK, most new coasters since 2009ish, have featured a staffed counter next to the station, so you handover any bags or loose items and get a numbered wristband, and once you get off the ride you hand the wristband back and get your stuff back.

It's a simple system, which allows you to keep hold of your things until it is time to actually get on the ride, instead of making you leave everything in a locker and then join a queue which is potentially hours long, and is more secure than baggage holds in the station.

^When it comes to the metal detectors, it is not about waiting an extra five minutes. If they were truly necessary for saftey, then the USO parks would not be literally two out of the three parks in the entire Western World who have them. The only other park known to have them is Morey's, and even they have them in just one coaster.

So, I see both sides of this.

First thing, Universal Orlando has to move people. Allowing for bag drops on the platforms would slow operations down, and make for longer queues. Also, many of Universal Orlando's attractions have separate load and unload areas, including Dragon Challenge. A counter system could theoretically work but it would require reconfiguration of nearly every queue in both parks! Walt Disney World has an advantage here - you have very few rides that actually use bag drops there because ride motions are tame enough for you to take your stuff with you and not lose anything.

In terms of "trusting" their guests, they shouldn't, in my opinion. Most guests certainly aren't malicious, but people leave their brains at home when they go on vacation. Eliminating the problem before it occurs is a smart decision, even though the implementation isn't particularly spectacular.

That being said, I don't like the whole system. It's a pretty big inconvenience especially considering that I occasionally carry a backpack around. While the units are always clustered -near- an attraction, you always have to hunt to find them. Queues are boring. There isn't always a clear set of instructions - sometimes people try to enter the attraction, are turned away, and then enter again. Metal detectors are imperfect. The list goes on.

Lastly all you metal detector haters/and now non riders - Are you still going to airports and taking vacations? Do they not have metal detectors

I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't see the difference between metal detectors on a roller coaster and metal detectors at the airport.

It's been a couple years since I have been to Universal, will be returning summer of 2017. I enjoyed the ride when it was Dueling Dragons, that being said, last time we went we skipped right over Dragon Challenge. Being a huge Harry Potter fan, I was much more interested in everything around the coaster, then a coaster that they simply stuck a "Harry Potter" name to and tried to make it fit in.

Also, last time I went I didn't notice any metal detectors, are these specially for this ride? Do any other coasters in the park have metal detectors? If memory serves me right, they don't have them at the entrance or even check bags when entering the park.

It's been a couple years since I have been to Universal, will be returning summer of 2017. I enjoyed the ride when it was Dueling Dragons, that being said, last time we went we skipped right over Dragon Challenge. Being a huge Harry Potter fan, I was much more interested in everything around the coaster, then a coaster that they simply stuck a "Harry Potter" name to and tried to make it fit in.

Also, last time I went I didn't notice any metal detectors, are these specially for this ride? Do any other coasters in the park have metal detectors? If memory serves me right, they don't have them at the entrance or even check bags when entering the park.

There are now metal detectors prior to entering the CityWalk area of the resort, and then also at Hulk, Dragons, and RockIt. You are not allowed to have anything metal with you while waiting for the rides even if you have a zipper or secure pocket.

Lastly all you metal detector haters/and now non riders - Are you still going to airports and taking vacations? Do they not have metal detectors

I'm not going to argue with someone who doesn't see the difference between metal detectors on a roller coaster and metal detectors at the airport.

Dont argue with me thats not the point but please explain the difference- A metal detector is added security if it isnt whats the point of having it? - I admit it slows your queuing experiences down,but thats the consequences we now all have to take for mindless idiots abusing trust, Theme Park/Airport.

My point is you dont exclude or comment on travel when you have to use the same system but your okay to bash a park.

Everybody has a right to their opinion and a choice to visit, ride and follow the system like it or not - They do the same on Hulk, RRR, is a small inconvenience for a great experience - anybody that cannot be away from there phone for an hour may need help.

Everybody has a right to their opinion and a choice to visit, ride and follow the system like it or not - They do the same on Hulk, RRR, is a small inconvenience for a great experience - anybody that cannot be away from there phone for an hour may need help.

Four or five years ago I definitely would have agreed with you. The problem is that smart devices and the desire to be social in that sense are now so ingrained into first-world society and culture that NOT having access to one is seen as unusual.

The difference between a metal detector at the entrance to an attraction vs one at an airport security checkpoint or the entrance to a park is that you get your stuff back immediately at the airport. At Universal Orlando, there's the expectation that your stuff has to be put away BEFORE going through the detector and you're stuck without it for however long you're stuck in the queue.

^Not to mention the added inconvenience of the hassle of the lockers near the ride that often times are full, broken, or have long lines of people that can't figure out how to work them.

It's not about the phone, keys, wallet, lip balm, medicine, etc. that can no longer be carried through. It's the idea that I am being forced to add more inconvenience/time to my day when these items would be perfectly secure in a secure pocket as they are at 99% of other parks.

You are not allowed to have anything metal with you while waiting for the rides even if you have a zipper or secure pocket.

This is for your own further enjoyment of the attractions. See, they want you to be fully engulfed in the themeing rather than browsing Facebook on your phone. How else will you be able to fully comprehend the artistic merits of Rock-It's 15-second looping video?

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-details-jimmy-fallon-ride/

FEATURED_FALLON-1170x731.thumb.jpg.210f8695b716a14fc6a2fbda6e402a9d.jpg

Any fan of “The Tonight Show” knows to expect the unexpected when Jimmy Fallon is involved.

I’ve got all the details on what you’ll experience as you’re transported to The Big Apple when “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” opens at Universal Studios Florida next spring.

Hang Out in Studio 6B

Arrive in the Studio 6B Club in style, and enjoy a live performance from the Ragtime Gals barbershop quartet, or check out some of the show’s classic bits, from History of Rap to Lip Sync Battle. You’ll also have the chance to meet and dance with the beloved “Tonight Show” mascot, Hashtag the Panda.

Ever dream of sending your own personalized “Tonight Show” Thank You Note? You’re in luck! You can play host at your own Interactive Desk in the Studio 6B Club. Here, you’ll be able to send Jimmy Fallon’s famous Thank You Notes to your friends and family, prep for your race with a ‘Jimmy Drive’ retro-style video game, and watch your favorite show clips.

Step into 30 Rock and then it's off to the races with Jimmy Fallon.

Get Ready for a Wild Ride

After a briefing in the Studio 6B Lobby, you’ll board the world’s first-ever flying theater, which seats up to 72 audience members, for a rousing race alongside Jimmy Fallon through the greatest city in the world, New York.

From 30 Rock out into the streets (and the skies!) of The Big Apple, you and your fellow studio audience members will zoom past iconic New York City landmarks in an action-packed race with plenty of twists and turns along the way.

Be sure to keep an eye out for cameos from familiar characters like Sara from “Ew,” Jimmy in “Tight Pants,” and “Tonight Show” announcer Steve Higgins. All the sweet sounds of New York will come to life with the help of the Grammy award-winning band, The Roots, the musical masterminds behind the original attraction score.

Step into the History

As you step foot into the renowned NBC Studios, you’ll get a front row seat to witness the most significant moments in the history of NBC as you travel through the 62-year evolution of “The Tonight Show.”

Making your way through “The Tonight Show” lobby, you’ll also get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see real set pieces from one of the longest-running shows in television history. You’ll see everything from suits of past hosts, to iconic desk props, to NBC video cameras used to record the show, all surrounding a display honoring the current host, Jimmy Fallon.

For a behind the scenes look at how “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” is shaping up, check out this video below:

Buckle up for a wild ride through The Big Apple and keep checking back for more details because the race begins next Spring.

1540376088_Race-Through-New-York-Starring-Jimmy-Fallon-Key-Art(1).thumb.jpg.de092ec9dca1c010a9e897e6dd783fc2.jpg

^Not to mention the added inconvenience of the hassle of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo near the ride that often times are full, broken, or have long lines of people that can't figure out how to work them.

It's not about the phone, keys, wallet, lip balm, medicine, etc. that can no longer be carried through. It's the idea that I am being forced to add more inconvenience/time to my day when these items would be perfectly secure in a secure pocket as they are at 99% of other parks.

Also it completely ended any possible opportunity to Dragon jump between the two coasters anymore. You no longer have enough time as you have to retrieve your items from the locker after your ride. Such a downer.

I still can't believe Fallon is getting all of that space. I guess he has a bigger following then I imagine he would. Personally can't stand the guy and have no interest in ever going on this ride.

To be fair, many of the properties at USO/ IOA, seem like they have a bigger following than anyone would expect, even if they really do or don't. I'm sure they're picked for both longevity and more recent nostalgia above pure popularity and fads. This attraction seems like it promotes The Tonight Show, first and foremost, NBC's biggest brand. Fallon just happens to be the latest host and is featured, even though Leno sounds like a better fit for a racing theme. I think I'm more into it for the the New York and Tonight Show tie in.

This attraction sounds like a classic USO attraction in that in addition to the main show/ ride, it adds in some history about both a great city and an iconic production.

I still can't believe Fallon is getting all of that space. I guess he has a bigger following then I imagine he would. Personally can't stand the guy and have no interest in ever going on this ride.

To be fair, many of the properties at USO/ IOA, seem like they have a bigger following than anyone would expect, even if they really do or don't. I'm sure they're picked for both longevity and more recent nostalgia above pure popularity and fads. This attraction seems like it promotes The Tonight Show, first and foremost, NBC's biggest brand. Fallon just happens to be the latest host and is featured, even though Leno sounds like a better fit for a racing theme. I think I'm more into it for the the New York and Tonight Show tie in.

This attraction sounds like a classic USO attraction in that in addition to the main show/ ride, it adds in some history about both a great city and an iconic production.

Yeah I agree with you from a crossing brands over business stand point it makes perfect sense especially since it was replacing an old franchise that wasn't in use anyway

I also live in NYC and drive around here enough so that combined with Fallon does absolutely nothing for me.

In 10-15 years it'll be gone/rethemed anyhow.

^Not to mention the added inconvenience of the hassle of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo near the ride that often times are full, broken, or have long lines of people that can't figure out how to work them.

Also it completely ended any possible opportunity to Dragon jump between the two coasters anymore. You no longer have enough time as you have to retrieve your items from the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo after your ride. Such a downer.

My wife and I were able to do both last week in time. Though, we had to exit then come back up a side path to go back thru the metal detectors and castle. It was nice when you could bypass the castle before.

I dig the facade...the ride system sounds like Universal's take on Soarin, which could be cool. The theme of the ride? We'll see. Minus points for being another screen based attraction too.

the ride system sounds like Universal's take on Soarin, which could be cool.

See, kids, here is an example of the word "cool" being misused. The word he was actually going to use was "dull" or "boring" or "sleep-inducing" or "completely pointless" or "goddammit why do people like that ride" or "soarin sucks the big one" or "burn soarin to the ground" etc.

See, kids, here is an example of the word "cool" being misused. The word he was actually going to use was "dull" or "boring" or "sleep-inducing" or "completely pointless" or "goddammit why do people like that ride" or "soarin sucks the big one" or "burn soarin to the ground" etc.

OK, I gotta ask... what's your vendetta against Soarin'? I personally love it, and to each their own, but what the heck's your deal?

I dig the facade...the ride system sounds like Universal's take on Soarin, which could be cool. The theme of the ride? We'll see. Minus points for being another screen based attraction too.

$100 says they will also squirt you with water at some point!