TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

New details about Volcano Bay!

Universal Orlando Blog:

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-details-revealed/

Even more details on the Universal Orlando website. https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Parks/volcano-bay.aspx

Breaking News: First-Ever Details Revealed for Universal’s Volcano Bay

The goal was lofty: how can we create a water park unlike any else in the world?

We started with a challenge to ourselves: what if we took everything we know about crafting amazing theme park experiences and designing luxurious resorts, and we used it to create a one-of-a-kind water theme park.

That was the beginning of Universal’s Volcano Bay at Universal Orlando Resort.

To help shape our vision, we traveled around the world visiting water parks and tropical resorts. We went to Bali, the Middle East, Europe and all across the United States. And from there, we started designing what we wanted Volcano Bay to be.

One of our first goals was to eliminate hassles for guests so they can focus on the fun. So we found a way to get rid of long lines. We made it so you don’t have to carry your tube. We spread amenities like dining throughout the park, so you don’t have to hike up to the front of the park for a bite to eat. And we brought the mindset of designing a world-class resort to create a water paradise.

Spanning 28 acres, Volcano Bay will transport you to a lush, tropical oasis inspired by the Pacific isles. Every step while you’re here can be filled with thrills, indulgence or rejuvenation.

Thrill seekers can enjoy unique experiences like surprising drop slides and our white-water action river. Or if you’re looking for a more relaxing experience, you’ll be able to enjoy our soothing winding river, serene beaches and two-story private cabanas.

Volcano Bay is made up of four incredibly themed areas with Polynesian influences ranging from Easter Island, Hawaii, New Zealand and more. Here’s what you’ll find in each area.

Krakatau:

At the heart of the park, you’ll see the 200-foot-tall volcano called Krakatau. By day, you’ll see its majestic waterfalls. And by night, the volcano will illuminate with blazing lava.

Three distinctive body slides are found at the rear of the volcano, and each starts off with surprise doors that drop out from beneath you:

Ko’okiri Body Plunge: A racing, 70-degree drop that will plummet 125-feet through the center of Krakatau. It will be the world’s first slide to travel through a pool filled with guests.

Kala and Ta Nui Serpentine Body Slides: Two intertwining slides where you’ll fall freely along 124 twisting feet.

Punga Racers: A high-speed race through four different enclosed slides featuring manta-shaped mats.

Secret Attraction: I can’t talk about this one yet, but it’ll be like nothing else in the park.

Wave Village:

Located at the base of Krakatau, Wave Village is a perfect place to soak in the sun and relax on the sandy shores. It includes:

Waturi Beach: A sparkling, multi-directional wave pool where you can swim, relax on the sand or indulge in private, one- or two-story cabanas.

The Reef: An adjacent leisure pool with calmer waters and exciting views of riders speeding through the Ko’okiri Body Plunge.

River Village:

River Village offers several family-friendly attractions and experiences and features:

Kopiko Wai Winding River: A gentle, winding river that passes through the volcano’s hidden caves, featuring spontaneous water effects and a journey through the cave of starlight.

Tot Tiki Reef: A whimsical toddler play area with spraying Maori fountains, slides and a kid-size volcano.

Runamukka Reef: A three-story water playground inspired by the coral reef overflowing with twisting slides, sprinklers and more.

Honu: An adventurous, multi-passenger raft ride that will soar across a dual wall.

Ika Moana: A twisting, multi-passenger raft ride that will glide across bubbling geysers.

Rainforest Village:

Rainforest Village features an incredible assortment of attractions for thrill-seekers, including:

Maku: North America’s first “saucer ride”, sending multi-passenger rafts speeding around three saucer-shaped curves.

Puihi: A breath-taking multi-passenger raft ride that will plunge you into darkness before bursting into a funnel and launching into a zero-gravity drop.

Ohyah and Ohno Drop Slides: Two twisting, adrenaline-pumping slides that launch you four- or six-feet above the water at the end.

TeAwa The Fearless River: An action-packed, racing torrent river where you’ll have to hang tight in your inner tube amidst roaring, whitewater rapids.

Taniwha Tubes: Four unique Easter Island-inspired slides with rafts for single or double riders.

Puka Uli Lagoon: A tranquil pool where you can swim and relax.

I am so excited for guests to come to Volcano Bay, and this is just the beginning. Keep checking the Universal Orlando blog or sign up for emails for more details. You won’t want to miss any of it!

First-ever details revealed for Universal's Volcano Bay, including Honu - an adventurous, multi-passenger raft ride that will soar across two giant, sloped walls.

First-ever details revealed for Universal's Volcano Bay, including Kopiko Wai Winding River - a gentle, winding river that passes through the volcano’s hidden caves, featuring spontaneous water effects and special nighttime lighting.

First-ever details revealed for Universal's Volcano Bay, including Ohno Drop Slides - two twisting, adrenaline-pumping slides that launch you four- or six-feet above the water at the end.

From the descriptions of the attractions, it seems some slides might be transferred over from Wet N Wild such as Aqua Drag Racer, Brain Wash, and Disco H2O.

Additionally, from my previous visit to Wet N Wild this past weekend, a new ride reservation system testing took place. Everyone received a blue wristband before entering the park. At each slide, you check in to a station outside the entrance that lists a wait time. You scan your wristband and receive a return time to slide. Therefore, when you return to the slide, there is no wait and you slide right away. However, you can only check in to one slide at a time. I believe this new system will definitely take place at Volcano Bay to minimize people waiting in a line.

As for the unannounced "marquee attraction," I believe it will be a ProSlide water coaster because you can see the slide parts of it in the lot next to Wet N Wild. Also, it seems this is the only slide that hasn't been announced.

I'm very much looking forward to the opening of this water park!!! I can't wait until it opens!

Edited by chargersmichael

From the descriptions of the attractions, it seems some slides might be transferred over from Wet N Wild such as Aqua Drag Racer, Brain Wash, and Disco H2O.

I can't tell if Disco H2O is included in the mix but I definitely picked out Brain Wash (Puihi), Aqua Drag Racer (Punga Racers) and Black Hole (Taniwha Tubes). In addition, it looks like Volcano Bay will be getting the US's first ProSlide Flying Saucer installation as well as a double Tornado Wave.

Disco H2O doesn't seem to fit the theme. It will be missed if it's gone. Ok, is it time to start a "save the disco" campaign ? (just kidding)

If there's any park it should move to, it's Kentucky Kingdom - most disco balls are made in Louisville.

The rendering makes it look like the cover is taken off the front of Brain Wash/Puihi.

Also, should I interpret the renderings as that the rides themselves are connected by the rivers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't tell if Disco H2O is included in the mix but I definitely picked out Brain Wash (Puihi), Aqua Drag Racer (Punga Racers) and Black Hole (Taniwha Tubes). In addition, it looks like Volcano Bay will be getting the US's first ProSlide Flying Saucer installation as well as a double Tornado Wave.

From the description on the website, I'm thinking maybe they will have the Disco H2O slide but of course remove all of the disco theming and repaint it.

Maku slides you through a deep volcanic gorge before spinning wildly around bowl-like formations.

As for the Black Hole, based on my last visit to Universal and Wet N Wild last weekend, I believe Taniwha Tubes are already installed. If you drive by, you will see a slide complex filled with blue and green tube slides.

Part of the greatness of Universal (and why our family ranks it ahead of Disney) is the convenience. We typitcally stay at the Hard Rock or the neighboring Portofino, where we can walk to anything. It does not appear that you can walk or take a water taxi to Volcano Bay. Can anyone confirm?

Part of the greatness of Universal (and why our family ranks it ahead of Disney) is the convenience. We typitcally stay at the Hard Rock or the neighboring Portofino, where we can walk to anything. It does not appear that you can walk or take a water taxi to Volcano Bay. Can anyone confirm?

Just take the garden path to cabana Bay to walk there, cabana bays shuttle as it's right next door or take the boat to sapphire falls and walk from there. I assume they'll have shuttles from the parking garage to volcano Bay as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Those deluxe properties at Disney are pretty darn convenient, and you get to ride a monorail.......

There are pieces of a large Tannish/Brown slide already installed inside the Volcano at the park. I'm surprised the usual suspects aren't blogging much about it's construction. The Taiwana (sp) racers are already installed as are all the slides on the backside of the Volcano. It's shaping up but the park most certainly looks a year away at least.

This park definitely looks like it will take the crown for Orlando Water parks mostly by having all of the major points in one park (convenience, employees, theming, atmosphere, slide quality).

I'm very excited to hear that there's some ride reservation tests going on at Wet N Wild, I only hope there is some elevator system inside that volcano to raise people up 200 feet to the top!

Those deluxe properties at Disney are pretty darn convenient, and you get to ride a monorail.......

Yeah, after paying like 600 per night.

Yeah, after paying like 600 per night.

I mean the Hard Rock and Portofino Bay are both in that same range. Heck I Just did a quick search for Disney and Universal on the same nights and Disney's Polynesian is less than Royal Pacific and only like $40 more than Saphire Falls. I realize some of the Universal Deluxe resorts come with the front of the line pass and all but the pricing and convenience of the higher end properties really isn't that different.

Call me crazy, but when I go on vacation I prefer not to have to pick my meals months ahead of time, or predetermine which rides I’ll go on (and when) because all of the popular Fastpasses book up so quickly. The Disney Deluxe hotels are convenient for getting to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but good luck getting to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios in under an hour via the inferior bus system in the middle of summer. Contrast that with Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific where I can walk (yes walk) to each of the hotels in 5-7 minutes. I can leave either park whenever I want and have lunch poolside, just by walking. Same goes for City Walk and probably Volcano Bay. You just can’t beat that convenience.

And then there is the Fastpass v Express Pass comparison. The reality is there is no comparison. Express Pass Hands down. They could charge double for that thing and I’d still pay it. We've always left Disney missing out on certain rides because the lines were too long and we didn't have a Fastpass (because they run out). That just doesn't happen at Universal. Sure, Harry Potter fills up quick, but that's when early park entry comes in handy - yet another convenience factor.

Call me crazy, but when I go on vacation I prefer not to have to pick my meals months ahead of time, or predetermine which rides I’ll go on (and when) because all of the popular Fastpasses book up so quickly. The Disney Deluxe hotels are convenient for getting to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot but good luck getting to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios in under an hour via the inferior bus system in the middle of summer. Contrast that with Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific where I can walk (yes walk) to each of the hotels in 5-7 minutes. I can leave either park whenever I want and have lunch poolside, just by walking. Same goes for City Walk and probably Volcano Bay. You just can’t beat that convenience.

And then there is the Fastpass v Express Pass comparison. The reality is there is no comparison. Express Pass Hands down. They could charge double for that thing and I’d still pay it. We've always left Disney missing out on certain rides because the lines were too long and we didn't have a Fastpass (because they run out). That just doesn't happen at Universal. Sure, Harry Potter fills up quick, but that's when early park entry comes in handy - yet another convenience factor.

I agree with all of this. I don't really want to complain about Fast Pass and My Disney Experience because it's free, but it was so frustrating at first that I just wanted to throw money at them like I can at Universal so I didn't have to deal with the B.S.

I started to like Disney's system more once I got more familiar with it but at first it's a pain in the ass. Especially if you're not staying on property so you have to scan the codes on every admission ticket to add everyone to a group to book FastPass. And if different people in the group want different FastPasses because some people like thrill rides and some don't but then we want to share some other ones it's insanely annoying if you haven't used it before.

We enjoyed the setup at Universal much more, and City Walk blows Disney Springs away just because of it's convenient location (which isn't Disney's fault of course) so I agree in regards to dining also. Plus they have a Margaritaville and I'm a massive Parrothead.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Universal's approach at all, it is different than Disney's for various reasons but it is perfectly fine. Personally I do kind of enjoy picking my meals and making dining reservations and fastpass+ reservations months ahead of time, I completely understand how some people prefer the spontaneity but for me planning out the trip out in advance is kind of part of the fun. Even when I make last minute short weekend trips (which are most of my trips) honestly I've never had a problem getting fastpasses/dining reservations for anything I wanted with a few exceptions like 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Be Our Guest, Ana Elsa, TSM but honestly even those attractions I've gotten FP+ the day of many times. Heck I had a FP for Frozen Ever After even though I couldn't make it down that day.

And the Fast pass+/ Express Pass comparison well there isn't a comparison because they are completely different. Next time I go to Universal (it's been a while) I'm going to stay on property and get an Express Pass because it's been so long since I've been, but it is nice at Disney to know that I can reserve 3 or 4 of my favorite attractions ahead of time anytime I want without having to drop an extra $100 a day to do so. Sure it is nice to throw some more money at Universal to have a great day, but it's also nice to have an AP to Disney where I don't have to spend extra money to get on whatever I want whenever I want to on a dozen trips per year with just a little bit effort in planning.

Again I'm not knocking Universal's approach at all, I'm looking forward to staying on property and getting Express passes, just gonna have to wait a few years until my kids are taller than 40" so there are more than 3 rides I can take them on..........(that part was me throwin some shade at UO)