TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

Yea but for most multi-gate parks, a lot of people, especially ones who aren't local and for them a once in a lifetime trip, are probably going to spend a least a full day in each park. So if you are planning on doing both parks anyway but a hopper is the only way to experience all the attractions in the park (Hogwarts Express) then you're not really getting a whole park out of that deal. More an "opportunity cost" of $25 per person to experience just the Hogwarts Express.

I disagree. The convenience factor alone is worth it, and it's much more than "just a fee to experience the Hogwarts Express." Every time I've gone, I've had the hopper and went back and forth between the parks quite a few times during the day, even before DA was built. I've never just stuck to one park all day. In my opinion, it's the way to go.

Yea but for most multi-gate parks, a lot of people, especially ones who aren't local and for them a once in a lifetime trip, are probably going to spend a least a full day in each park. So if you are planning on doing both parks anyway but a hopper is the only way to experience all the attractions in the park (Hogwarts Express) then you're not really getting a whole park out of that deal. More an "opportunity cost" of $25 per person to experience just the Hogwarts Express.

I disagree. The convenience factor alone is worth it, and it's much more than "just a fee to experience the Hogwarts Express." Every time I've gone, I've had the hopper and went back and forth between the parks quite a few times during the day, even before DA was built. I've never just stuck to one park all day. In my opinion, it's the way to go.

See...that's another thing. If we are there for 2 days (1 day in each park),why waste time hopping back and forth? By doing a full day in each park, your maximizing your time. It's gonna take at least a full day in each park to do everything we want to do. And by looking at the schedule, both parks share the same hours as well.

So yeah, to us the extra $150 is not really worth it for what basically boils down to a train ride.

See...that's another thing. If we are there for 2 days (1 day in each park),why waste time hopping back and forth? By doing a full day in each park, your maximizing your time. It's gonna take at least a full day in each park to do everything we want to do. And by looking at the schedule, both parks share the same hours as well.

So yeah, to us the extra $150 is not really worth it for what basically boils down to a train ride.

Sorry, I still disagree. What if it rains one of those days? What if something is down all day that you really wanted to ride? What if you want rerides? The next day you can't make up any of that lost time because you're limited to only one park. Having the option to hop back and forth is maximizing your opportunities, and a lot less stressful trying to fit everything in. You can just enjoy the parks more instead of rushing around trying to do and see everything.

Somewhere like Disney where the parks are more spread out, I agree, that's at least a 4-day trip. With Universal I don't see where it's a "waste of time." The parks are right next to each other, and it only takes a few minutes to walk over to the other park. I rode the train maybe twice each way just to get the experience, but never used it as my primary means to switch parks.

$50 extra per person is steep but the value is there, and not just for the train. IOA is, quite honestly, a half-day park unless you really do every single thing, and even then it won't take a full day (unless they close early for some reason). It's nice to be able to go back and forth when one park gets "old" (for lack of a better word). The Studios is also open later sometimes, so it's nice to spend an evening there when you're done at IOA. The Universal experience, to me, is both parks, because although they're working to fix this, neither park is 100% complete yet. Jumping back and forth is easy and not being restricted to one park per day is nice at these parks.

Sorry, I still disagree. What if it rains one of those days? What if something is down all day that you really wanted to ride? What if you want rerides? The next day you can't make up any of that lost time because you're limited to only one park. Having the option to hop back and forth is maximizing your opportunities, and a lot less stressful trying to fit everything in. You can just enjoy the parks more instead of rushing around trying to do and see everything.

Somewhere like Disney where the parks are more spread out, I agree, that's at least a 4-day trip. With Universal I don't see where it's a "waste of time." The parks are right next to each other, and it only takes a few minutes to walk over to the other park. I rode the train maybe twice each way just to get the experience, but never used it as my primary means to switch parks.

There are a lot of "if's" in there. To us, even if it rains out one day there is still more than enough to do in either park as most attractions are inside anyways.

The only value we see in the park hopper is if your there for more than 3 days. But for just 2 days, the price just doesn't make sense to us. Again, $150 is a little steep to pay because "maybe " a attraction will be down. Even if a attraction is down, is it worth $150 and the time to travel between parks just to hit up that single attraction?

I'm thinking that we will get the hopper option on our next visit though. Next time around, we are going to plan on 4 days just at Universal and not do all the other parks in the same trip that we are doing.

I totally get where you are coming from, but for "us" it's just not worth the extra high cost for what we would get out of it.

Right after universal, we are doing 8 days at Disney. I am seriously considering adding the park hopper option as we are going to be there for a while. I believe it's only $65 to add the park hopper onto our current tickets for 8 days.

Some new info about the 'Kong' attraction here: http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/reign-of-kong-animated-figure/

Some highlights:

1) First look at the new Kong animatronic, which will stand 3 stories high.

2) In the clip, Creative Director Mike West says, "This isn't a movie - it's the real deal. Close enough that you'll feel his breath sweep across your skin and his thundering roar reverberate through every bone in your body."

3) Media preview to be held on June 22-24. (Info from a different site.)

This looking better and better! Glad to see it's not just a ride with film effects.

I never had a problem with the "smoothness" except for a bit of a head bang towards the end. Maybe that will be lessened a bit ? I dunno. Looks like some cool enhancements tho.

Same. I always thought Hulk was perfectly smooth.

Question on Kong (apologies if this has already been covered), but does anyone know what they are going to do about the Jurassic Park/Kong transition? Will they keep the Jurassic Park entrance where it is and have Kong as a part of JP, or will they make Kong into its own separate area with JP shifted further on? As good as I think Kong looks I really like the 'distinct' islands of original IOA, and now with Kong coming and the Lost Continent being shrunk massively with Harry Potter, I feel like its becoming more of a Universal Studios style random attractions dotted around individually rather than total themed areas?

Question on Kong (apologies if this has already been covered), but does anyone know what they are going to do about the Jurassic Park/Kong transition? Will they keep the Jurassic Park entrance where it is and have Kong as a part of JP, or will they make Kong into its own separate area with JP shifted further on? As good as I think Kong looks I really like the 'distinct' islands of original IOA, and now with Kong coming and the Lost Continent being shrunk massively with Harry Potter, I feel like its becoming more of a Universal Studios style random attractions dotted around individually rather than total themed areas?

"Minilands" are the new hotness in this industry, and Kong is another example of one.

We're trying to plan our next trip. Is there an unofficial ETA for all of the new attractions (because I know Universal isn't saying anything)? Fallon, Fast/Furious, waterpark?

We're trying to plan our next trip. Is there an unofficial ETA for all of the new attractions (because I know Universal isn't saying anything)? Fallon, Fast/Furious, waterpark?

All three are scheduled 2017, I believe. Not going to get more exact etas til next year, just use Hulk for an example.

"Minilands" are the new hotness in this industry, and Kong is another example of one.

See: Hong Kong Disneyland.

Edit to add: You know, Europa Park is made up of a lot of small "mini-lands," one for each country, in it's world. IMhO.

original-610x610.jpg.29171f811ad9368fa2b648704f91a638.jpg

HKDL MiniLands on the left, there.