TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

^^ I've a feeling you're going to be pretty disappointed if Robb's implying what I'm fairly certain of he's implying.

Robb means that hasnt heard anything about Dragon Challenge being refurbed like Hulk, Not that they are tearing it down, if thats what you are things.

As much as I'm a coaster fan, I would have no problem at all seeing the Dragon coasters completely go away and be replaced by something more Potter-esque that's really amazing.

Get out. Just go.

I'll be honest...I love Dueling Dragons, but the poor ride doesn't even duel anymore. It's now 1 really good invert and a second OK one without the dueling (I find the former Ice side to be just OK). I'm not a potter fan, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what Universal could do next to push the limits of themeing and ride technology.

I love Dueling Dragons and think it was a world class attraction in it's original form, even without the dueling aspect it's still a great coaster but it does kind of get lost in the shuffle back where it is now. It's funny how Dragons never gained the same kind of popularity that Hulk did, even before Potterland opened, and it never seemed to be featured as prominently in any of Universals advertising or promotional material. I don't know if it's the Hulk superhero themeing or the location right at the front of the park over the water that makes it kind of a focal point and an icon of the park compared to Dragons being tucked away back in a corner, but for two rides that are a fairly similar level of experience one is considerably more popular than the other. I guess at Busch Gardens Montu has always been more popular than Kumba so maybe that location really has a something to do with it.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the ride was scrapped (or relocated) in the near future to free up some prime real estate inside of that section of the park.

I'd be completely okay with Dragons being sold and relocated to a new park in favor of something truly spectacular taking its place on that huge plot of land. Maybe the new park would duel it again. Of course how many parks are able to purchase what are essentially two complete B&M coasters? Not many, I'd guess.

^^ I've a feeling you're going to be pretty disappointed if Robb's implying what I'm fairly certain of he's implying.

Robb means that hasnt heard anything about Dragon Challenge being refurbed like Hulk, Not that they are tearing it down, if thats what you are things.

I feel he was implying the coaster's presence may be short-lived, based on the upcoming need for maintenance (like Hulk) and Rowling's well-documented hatred for the ride.

I may be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

I can't imagine where DD would end up?! I would think that they would move it to the new park that Universal is going to build or sell it separately to prospective buyers, but it would be sad to see it leave IOA since it was an original attraction.

Why does Rowling hate it so much again? I was one of those kids that never really got into the Harry Potter fandom.

Edited by snapfordakids

I feel he was implying the coaster's presence may be short-lived, based on the upcoming need for maintenance (like Hulk) and Rowling's well-documented hatred for the ride.

I may be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

That is true. Everyone knows if they were to get rid of dragon challenge and put something Harry pottery in there, reveune would skyrocket even more.

As much as I'm a coaster fan, I would have no problem at all seeing the Dragon coasters completely go away and be replaced by something more Potter-esque that's really amazing.
I'd be completely okay with Dragons being sold and relocated to a new park in favor of something truly spectacular taking its place on that huge plot of land. Maybe the new park would duel it again.

I'd be completely okay with Dragons being sold and relocated to a new park in favor of something truly spectacular taking its place on that huge plot of land. Maybe the new park would duel it again. Of course how many parks are able to purchase what are essentially two complete B&M coasters? Not many, I'd guess.

I would too, if that meant that it was moving closer to me.

If not, Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge > Harry Potter. Now and forever. I'll hit up a library or a Redbox if I want to immerse myself in the world of Harry Potter.

Couldn't they install some strategically placed netting to allow it to duel again?

Seriously though...I have always wondered that too. They have netting for just about every coaster where people could come into contact with flying objects...why not here?

I for one, would be bummed to see them go. I really feel that DD (yes, I still call it that) is somewhat underrated. As someone mentioned, it's kind of tucked away in the back of the park and is not as visible as Hulk. But to me, it gives way better rides than Hulk (although Montu is still my favorite invert). And they both definitely blow away RR&R!

I admit that I am also not a huge fan of HP. I like the looks of the theming and all, but I would hate to see them take out two solid coasters (and line eaters) for yet another motion simulator type of ride themed to the Potter movies.

Plus they already screwed us by taking out Jaws!

Couldn't they install some strategically placed netting to allow it to duel again?

Seriously though...I have always wondered that too. They have netting for just about every coaster where people could come into contact with flying objects...why not here?

Aren't the clearances in the "near miss" sections so tight that they can't put anything at all between them? Something being caught by a net would still hit the opposite train's riders' feet.

If they took Dragons out I'm not sure I would even bother going to IOA.

Awesome. One less person in line that I'll have to wait behind.

Honestly, I know I'm sort of in the minority here, but having been there to see Dragons before and after Potter (and after the day the dueling died), what's there now just looked like a sad, hollow shell of its former self. The ride and its footprint was a huge eyesore compared to the rest of Potter around it. Since that former self is most likely NOT coming back, I'm 100% in favor of just getting rid of the darn ride and building something spectacular in its place.

Remember the good times. Look forward to the better times.

^^ I had not heard that, but that could very well be it.

I have to think that the netting would have been discussed as an option after the cell phone incident, but one would think that a sturdy net material could be made that could support such a narrow gap? Unless they were concerned that such a material might cause the objects to hit and then redirect back at the same train & possibly hit somebody?

I really enjoyed both Dragons during my first visit to the park last year. I did get the impression that they felt overshadowed/ignored more than they deserved to be due to Potter though.

On a random note about the Hulk refurb project I wonder how nice it was for B&M to revisit one of their classic iconic attraction and give it a serious modern day upgrade/overhaul.

I really enjoyed both Dragons during my first visit to the park last year. I did get the impression that they felt overshadowed/ignored more than they deserved to be due to Potter though.

On a random note about the Hulk refurb project I wonder how nice it was for B&M to revisit one of their classic iconic attraction and give it a serious modern day upgrade/overhaul.

This makes me thing . . . did B&M really have to put much input into it . . . or any any at all? After all, they are a design firm. The coaster is already designed so it's not like they are drawing up new plans and it seems all the footers are being reused.The steel fabricator doesn't solely belong to B&M right?

This makes me thing . . . did B&M really have to put much input into it . . . or any any at all? After all, they are a design firm. The coaster is already designed so it's not like they are drawing up new plans and it seems all the footers are being reused.The steel fabricator doesn't solely belong to B&M right?

Isn't the box track a B&M patent? So they would have to at least get permission from them to have to re-manufactured?

1. Eff all yall, dueling dragons and its high capacity totally thrilling layouts should stay forever or at least a few decades more.

2. The park (along with some give from Rowling) needs to add some more immersive theming to the queue line. DC is one of the biggest theming downgrades of all time. They literally just ripped out 90 percent of the original amazing theming and both parties somehow thought that was okay. Honestly, both sides were responsible for a big goof on that one, and I miss the frozen knights and skulls everywhere. Combined with no dueling, DC turned one if the 20 best rides in the world into a decent six flags attraction. I'm not in favor of ripping them out, I am in favor of doing something to re-imagine the ride.

^ JK Rowling didn't even want them to keep Dueling Dragons in the first place. But the resort defended the ride. I agree with the comment above, Dueling Dragon's is an amazing ride and it shouldn't be ripped out. It should be re-done with higher end theming, maybe some on ride effects like fire. Add a couple of new photo opp sections to show the ride off a little better. Removing that horrid stone entrance that blocks the view of the ride would be ideal as well...

1. Eff all yall, dueling dragons and its high capacity totally thrilling layouts should stay forever or at least a few decades more.

2. The park (along with some give from Rowling) needs to add some more immersive theming to the queue line. DC is one of the biggest theming downgrades of all time. They literally just ripped out 90 percent of the original amazing theming and both parties somehow thought that was okay. Honestly, both sides were responsible for a big goof on that one, and I miss the frozen knights and skulls everywhere. Combined with no dueling, DC turned one if the 20 best rides in the world into a decent six flags attraction. I'm not in favor of ripping them out, I am in favor of doing something to re-imagine the ride.

Maybe the queue wasn't made to be immersive when Potter came in because DD was already on the chopping block?

If there are changes to Dragon Challenge, I would love to see additional theming added to the ride itself. Who is to say they can't add tunnels and other near-miss elements? That would make it less of an eyesore and more on par with the theming in the rest of the park. I, of course, would also like to see the ride duel again on top of additional theming.

If Dragon Challenge is going, I just hope they replace it with another thrilling coaster. The big thrills is one thing IOA has always had going for it, and I would hate to see the Potterverse lose its most thrilling ride.