TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Another thing that crossed my mind - does this mean that Universal Orlando will still be hanging onto their license for Marvel properties for the foreseeable future? You'd think that if the license was about to expire, they would have re-themed the Hulk coaster.

^There is no expiration on the license for Marvel at Universal. As long as Universal keeps paying Marvel (Disney) the fair value owed each year for the license (as defined by an objective intermediary third party), then Universal will be able to continue to use Marvel exactly as the agreement has always allowed.

Universal has the rights in perpetuity unless they decide to stop paying for them.

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but can anyone explain why Universal is re-building the exact same coaster, layout and all (from what we can tell so far)? One would think that is a huge investment, which obviously could have been spent on a completely new attraction. Don't get me wrong, I love that the Hulk isn't changing. It's one of my favorites. I'm just surprised. Can anyone make sense of it? It's unprecedented, no?

Edited by KC_Engineer

Don't get me wrong, I love that the Hulk isn't changing. It's one of my favorites.

I think you said why right there. It's a lot of people's favorite attraction and one that's pretty iconic to that property so it's probably worth keeping and maintaining even if it's at roughly the same cost of a new attraction. Besides they are building new attractions at the same time, one in IOA and two in the Studios.

It's unprecedented, no?

Actually not. Disney has completely rebuilt at least one Space Mountain and one Thunder Mountain. Hulk is nearly to that same cult status. They want to keep it, it's an iconic ride, but after the equivalent of 25+ years worth of use it needs to be completely replaced.

It will be interesting to see if other parks go this route with their more iconic steel coasters from this era (circa 2000), whether they are B&M or any other manufacturer. It takes a lot of money, but could be worth it. This will be a great example for others to see what the payoff might be.

It's unprecedented, no?

Actually not. Disney has completely rebuilt at least one Space Mountain and one Thunder Mountain. Hulk is nearly to that same cult status. They want to keep it, it's an iconic ride, but after the equivalent of 25+ years worth of use it needs to be completely replaced.

Just wondering, but did Disneyland completely rebuild Space Mountain (both structure and track) or did they just replace the track? I definitely could be wrong, but I was thinking they just replaced all the track and left the structure intact.

Either way, seeing Hulk re-done this way is definitely something I wouldn't expect to see many other parks do with their aging B&Ms because I'm sure this is costing a pretty penny. Probably 90% of coaster costs are tied up in construction and fabrication. This is surely a $20+ million project. Like what was said up above, Hulk is essentially the equivalent of a 25-30 year old coaster with the way it's been operated and on top of that, most parks are able to do some maintenance in the winter time anyway.

I am curious is there any precedent for what IOA Is doing with the Hulk? Has there ever been a roller coaster completely scrapped and rebuilt as an exact replica?

If you go to the previous page, you'll see the same question and a answer.

Out of curiosity, this would be the first modern steel coaster (post 2000, though Hulk was technically opened in 1999) that has had a full track refurbishment? Has that happened besides coasters that have been relocated (Apocalypse, Thunderhawk, etc.)?

I fall on the cautionary side that Universal make enough addition/enhancement to find some way to market it. This looks to be far more than a Disney's Space Mountain changes back in 2009 (costly but not enough of a ride experience change on a scale that Disney would market).

It's unprecedented, no?

It's unprecedented, no?

Just wondering, but did Disneyland completely rebuild Space Mountain (both structure and track) or did they just replace the track? I definitely could be wrong, but I was thinking they just replaced all the track and left the structure intact.

Either way, seeing Hulk re-done this way is definitely something I wouldn't expect to see many other parks do with their aging B&Ms because I'm sure this is costing a pretty penny. Probably 90% of coaster costs are tied up in construction and fabrication. This is surely a $20+ million project. Like what was said up above, Hulk is essentially the equivalent of a 25-30 year old coaster with the way it's been operated and on top of that, most parks are able to do some maintenance in the winter time anyway.

What about the dragons though? Wouldn't those need to be refurbished as extensive as Hulk eventually?

It will be interesting to see if other parks go this route with their more iconic steel coasters from this era (circa 2000), whether they are B&M or any other manufacturer. It takes a lot of money, but could be worth it. This will be a great example for others to see what the payoff might be.

I think we'll see this sort of thing happen pretty exclusively at the top-tier parks (Disney, Universal, Busch), and even then only at the ones running year-round schedules. Even then, you're not going to see this happen to many rides any time soon - it's happening to Hulk because the Islands of Adventure coasters are probably the only three rides in the entire world that haven't had a single off-season since they opened in 1998. Universal has never given their Orlando coasters the major rehab work that every other coaster in the country benefits from, which is how we ended up here.

What about the dragons though? Wouldn't those need to be refurbished as extensive as Hulk eventually?

There was a rumor many pages ago that Universal was looking to do this same rebuild with the Dragons next off-season. Robb actually responded, saying that he's heard very different rumors about that ride's fate...

I think we'll see this sort of thing happen pretty exclusively at the top-tier parks (Disney, Universal, Busch), and even then only at the ones running year-round schedules. Even then, you're not going to see this happen to many rides any time soon - it's happening to Hulk because the Islands of Adventure coasters are probably the only three rides in the entire world that haven't had a single off-season since they opened in 1998. Universal has never given their Orlando coasters the major rehab work that every other coaster in the country benefits from, which is how we ended up here.

There was a rumor many pages ago that Universal was looking to do this same rebuild with the Dragons next off-season. Robb actually responded, saying that he's heard very different rumors about that ride's fate...

Hope that fate includes them dueling again, bringing back the entrance sculptures and bringing back the og name lol

As much as I'm a coaster fan, I would have no problem at all seeing the Dragon coasters completely go away and be replaced by something more Potter-esque that's really amazing.

Get out. Just go.

As much as I'm a coaster fan, I would have no problem at all seeing the Dragon coasters completely go away and be replaced by something more Potter-esque that's really amazing.

Get out. Just go.

Dueling Dragons is an amazing ride! Two really awesome inverts! The only thing I'm hoping for (if Universal does something to Dragons) is that they will find a way for them to duel again!! It is time for these dragons to challenge once again and duel!

Get out. Just go.

Dueling Dragons is an amazing ride! Two really awesome inverts! The only thing I'm hoping for (if Universal does something to Dragons) is that they will find a way for them to duel again!! It is time for these dragons to challenge once again and duel!

Couldn't agree more, DD are two of my favorite inverts and I'd hate to see anything happen to them (other than for them to actually duel again). I was there a few months ago and both sides were riding great. I just don't see a Hulk type major rebuild anytime soon on DD.