TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

So Universal Part III is all but official. I wonder two things.

1. Will they build a monorail to the other part of the resort and will the city work with them giving them access to public roads and throughways.

2. What IP's will they add? Obviously Potter's beast will be there but what about Nintendo? Will there finally be a Potter themed hotel? What other IP's will they put in the park? What will be the connecting thread? USO has movies, IOA kinda is books. So many questions.

The funny thing about all this is that Universal originally bought this land from Lockheed after they shut the plant down only to have GE sell it off.

I was gonna say.... isn't this SECOND TIME they've actually bought that same plot of land???

^It sure is! They bought all 2,000 acres from Lockeed Martin in 1998 and actually filed initial planning documents with Orange County to get approval for a 3rd theme park, 2 golf courses, hotels, timeshares, and retail. They poured a bunch of money into cleaning the site up, but then....It was actually Vivendi (not GE) that went into "sell sell sell" mode as it tried to get rid of Universal because of financial trouble that stemmed from so much debt. They sold some of the land to the county to expand the convention center and the rest to the developer who would eventually end up foreclosing on the land...which is now back in Universal's hands thanks to that foreclosure.

Makes you think that things could get rolling quickly, considering they already had plans for the area...

^It sure is! They bought all 2,000 acres from Lockeed Martin in 1998 and actually filed initial planning documents with Orange County to get approval for a 3rd theme park, 2 golf courses, hotels, timeshares, and retail. They poured a bunch of money into cleaning the site up, but then....It was actually Vivendi (not GE) that went into "sell sell sell" mode as it tried to get rid of Universal because of financial trouble that stemmed from so much debt. They sold some of the land to the county to expand the convention center and the rest to the developer who would eventually end up foreclosing on the land...which is now back in Universal's hands thanks to that foreclosure.

Makes you think that things could get rolling quickly, considering they already had plans for the area...

200_s.gif.cf3c5575740193dd79ce84fad03b6d27.gif

Yup, they trained a real shark to jump at the boat every time it passed by. Over a million sharks were killed by the harpoon. Some people just need to be institutionalized.

I would be all for a return of the Jaws ride though. Even though there's a better chance of me waking up next to a supermodel tomorrow morning. At least we can dream...

This also explains why the land is also already zoned to build an amusement park and zoned to build up to 400 ft.

"If Universal Orlando becomes the new owner of 474 acres near the Orange County Convention Center, it would inherit much of the zoning and entitlements needed to build an attraction, thousands of hotel units and structures up to 400 feet high. The purchase would vastly expand the theme park's empire, possibly paving the way for a third theme park and more hotels."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-universal-land-purchase-i-drive-20151202-story.html

How much did they pay for the site?

WAIT!! So you mean to tell me the shark used on the Jaws ride was NOT a real shark?!? ... Who knew?!

(Obviously I know it was NOT a real shark.)

There is no hope for this world...

That's about how I feel after reading those comments.

If you look closely you can see the shark is fake.

I could imagine some of those comments ar jokes.

You mean ARE jokes, right?

Honestly, I'd like to believe that, too, because it might restore about .00001% amount of my faith in humanity, but I didn't quote the ones that were obvious trolling. These I think were almost all legit stupid people making honest stupid comments that in their stupid brains actually believed their own stupidity.

Edited by robbalvey

Some of the BEST YouTube comments we get are from our Jaws Ride video. These make me laugh, cry, but mostly weep for humanity...

I wanted to believe you were exaggerating but after finding the video and reading the comments I realized you could make 10 more of these images at least and they would all be filled with comments that are just as asinine. Holy crap...

Some of the BEST YouTube comments we get are from our Jaws Ride video. These make me laugh, cry, but mostly weep for humanity...

jaws_youtube_comments_ig_copy.jpg

I wanted to believe you were exaggerating but after finding the video and reading the comments I realized you could make 10 more of these images at least and they would all be filled with comments that are just as asinine. Holy crap...

Yup. It's quite scary isn't it?

Edited by robbalvey

If you look closely you can see the shark is fake.

I could imagine some of those comments ar jokes.

You mean ARE jokes, right?

Honestly, I'd like to believe that, too, because it might restore about .00001% amount of my faith in humanity, but I didn't quote the ones that were obvious trolling. These I think were almost all legit stupid people making honest stupid comments that in their stupid brains actually believed their own stupidity.

That being said, it isn't exactly the stupidest thing I've seen.