TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Most of these rides aren't simulators though any more than any themed ride is a simulator. They're rides utilizing projections as effects. It seems to me that there's a generation bothered by this. Seeing people complain is kinda like watching at old school wood coaster enthusiasts coping with the technological progression of the 90s-2000s to me. Instead of complaining about buzz bars and inversions all being alike, they're upset that there aren't more big clunky animatronics.

When I say "simulator" I'm referring to the attractions that shake you around but stay in one place. Simpsons and Despicable Me come to mind on Universal's property.

I'm not saying that every themed attraction should be an animatronic-heavy attraction, because they shouldn't. Each park has a need, each crop of designers comes up with a story, system and implementation to address the need. Fine. But my problem with -most- (not all) media-based attractions is that they try to tell too much story in too little time. Everything moves so fast and you don't even have time to think about what's going on because by the time you do the ride is over. The balance between taking the time to tell your story and making sure guests keep flowing through the attraction is a very difficult one to achieve.

I'm also slightly biased because I can't ride those rides with the glasses on without getting motion sick. You can't win 'em all.

Rides are a lousy medium to tell stories, but the push to do so has been a focus of the industry now for longer than projection/3D projection has been merged with dark rides. That's not a problem of projection technology. It isn't even really the fault of designers. Designers create based on the demands of executives. Now those executives now more than any other time in memory are dictating what parks build based on IP crossover and are also actively choosing to produce films and TV programs with the intent of merchandising them and building theme park attractions based on their success. See as relevant: every article about there being a much reduced mid point for film budgets between independent film and summer blockbusters. But returning to rides here since that's what is relevant - it is an effect, like any other effect on a ride. The only bearing it has is "Does it work best for the application?" For many applications in which it is used, video projection is the only realistic option.

I completely agree with Robb about the potential overuse of media-based rides, and the comment about Universal becoming 'simulator land'.

We just visited Universal and IoA for the first time, and while we had a blast, our biggest and only criticism was how similar all of the rides started to feel after a while. And especially with Hulk down, the overabundance of simulator type attractions was really noticeable. Hulk would have definitely helped break up some of the repetition. By the time we got around to Simpsons at the end of the day, I was ready to hurl.

If Gringotts had been a little heavier on the coaster side, and a little less on the media side, I think it would have been better-balanced, and helped balance out the park a little more too. That being said, the media portion was stunning.

Also, Hollywood Rip Rid Rockit was TERRIBLE. I wasn't expecting too much out of it, but it was SO rough and uncomfortable. Really disappointing, because like we're talking about, the parks feel a little lacking in the 'real rides' side of things, and a good, smooth coaster would add so much to the line up.

I like to see a good mix of physical and digital sets and effects as part of a dark ride, but I'm not a big fan of sitting in a theater while my chair moves around.

This 100%. I used to be so eager to book my next Universal trip to check out their new attractions, but with everything becoming just a different version of sitting in front of a screen while being shaken, I'm more hesitant. Maybe I'll be wrong, in fact I hope I am wrong, but if this current trend continues, I don't see myself going back for a few years.

I like to see a good mix of physical and digital sets and effects as part of a dark ride, but I'm not a big fan of sitting in a theater while my chair moves around.

This 100%. I used to be so eager to book my next Universal trip to check out their new attractions, but with everything becoming just a different version of sitting in front of a screen while being shaken, I'm more hesitant. Maybe I'll be wrong, in fact I hope I am wrong, but if this current trend continues, I don't see myself going back for a few years.

Although it's more popular in some countries than others (we have so many here in Korea) with 4D cinemas increasing in numbers at cineplexes, I just can't see the theme parks continuing with it as a trend. They would have to up their game to offer something that can't be found at multiplexes around the country.

Although it's more popular in some countries than others (we have so many here in Korea) with 4D cinemas increasing in numbers at cineplexes, I just can't see the theme parks continuing with it as a trend. They would have to up their game to offer something that can't be found at multiplexes around the country.

Multiplexes can't show films in tandem with large animatronics, roller coasters, or suspended seating, which are examples of what everyone in theme parks is doing. Theme parks either can't afford the alternative or there isn't one for all practical intents and purposes for the IPs people want put into the parks.

Also, Hollywood Rip Rid Rockit was TERRIBLE. I wasn't expecting too much out of it, but it was SO rough and uncomfortable. Really disappointing, because like we're talking about, the parks feel a little lacking in the 'real rides' side of things, and a good, smooth coaster would add so much to the line up.

I just went to UOR for the very first time ever last week, and I actually loved Rockit! I've heard all the complaints about it being rough, and while I'll admit that it's not glass smooth, I didn't think it was a bad coaster by any means! But then again, SFMM is one of my "home" parks, and I'm part of the minority there that actually enjoys Viper...

I just went to UOR for the very first time ever last week, and I actually loved Rockit! I've heard all the complaints about it being rough, and while I'll admit that it's not glass smooth, I didn't think it was a bad coaster by any means! But then again, SFMM is one of my "home" parks, and I'm part of the minority there that actually enjoys Viper...

I also enjoyed Rockit when I visit the park for the first time. I agree it wasn't glass smooth but I get the feeling it might depends a lot on what train you get. While I don't know how Universal do their train rehabs, I know that all the Eurofighters I've been on with a rolling rehab schedule for the trains can provide very different ride experiences. If you get one thats come back into service mid season it can be an amazing ride, but if you get one that is just about to be taken out of service it can be rough as hell.

I didn't ride Rockit on my visit this spring, but I rode it last year and thought it was alright. Not overly comfortable, but I didn't have any issues with roughness. The reviews for this ride are so mixed, so it does indeed seem likely that train rehab really has a big impact on the ride experience.

On a side note, I dreamed I was riding a glass-smooth Hulk last night. With the refurb the ride is now getting, this was well on the way to become the most realistic dream I've ever head. But when I went for a re-ride my brain decided to mess it all up by adding a meet-n-greet with Snow White in the queue line.

^Lol no, at least not that I know of. I have no idea where my brain got that idea from...

Been thinking a little about the recent Universal developments, and I'm finding it somewhat hard to be excited about it. I don't think Twister is a big loss in any way, and I'm sure the new ride will be fun, but it's not something that makes me want to go back any more than before. My biggest problem with these simulator rides is that they have a very low re-ride factor. They can be great the first time when you don't know what is going to happen, but it's rare that I come off a ride wanting to ride again immediately.

Rockit is EXTREMELY temperamental compared to other coasters when it comes to trains. While I always try for the front row on it and avoid the back, sometimes it is perfectly smooth and sometimes it is Vekoma-death level roughness. Thank goodness for lapbars...and for Mako next year so we will finally have a really re-ridable airtime ride!

Rockit is EXTREMELY temperamental compared to other coasters when it comes to trains. While I always try for the front row on it and avoid the back, sometimes it is perfectly smooth and sometimes it is Vekoma-death level roughness. Thank goodness for lapbars...and for Mako next year so we will finally have a really re-ridable airtime ride!

Hmm, I thought the front was a bit rougher. Personally, I liked the 4th row after trying them all. I think it's a fun little ride though I'm not a fan of all the brake sections. Unfortunately it's necessary in order to run 5 trains.

Personally, I never found the Hulk to be that rough. Ya it had a few slightly rough spots but it wasn't bad! If they do this to the Hulk, what would they do to Rockit? I personally find Rockit to be rougher than the Hulk even though Rockit only has lap bars. I hope they notice how Rockit is and maybe they will give it some extensive treatment. Even though Rockit is a lot newer, they need to make it smoother. I believe the front is the smoothest row.

Personally, I never found the Hulk to be that rough. Ya it had a few slightly rough spots but it wasn't bad! If they do this to the Hulk, what would they do to Rockit? I personally find Rockit to be rougher than the Hulk even though Rockit only has lap bars. I hope they notice how Rockit is and maybe they will give it some extensive treatment. Even though Rockit is a lot newer, they need to make it smoother. I believe the front is the smoothest row.

Ditto. HRRR is the roughest X-Car I've been on to date. It's fun, but it's still a bumpy ride.

I've never found Rockit to be overly rough, and I think the giant lap bars are really pretty comfortable. I was at the park a few weeks ago and rode Rockit about 12 times in a 2 hour period (thank you single rider line!) and thought it was running great.

Edited by VegasBaby

I've never found Rockit to be overly rough, and I think the giant lab bars are really pretty comfortable. I was at the park a few weeks ago and rode Rockit about 12 times in a 2 hour period (thank you single rider line!) and thought it was running great.

I personally love Rockit never had an uncomfortable ride on it, to each their own I suppose. Always a fun ride, not quite as thrilling as Hulk or Dragons but one of my favorite attractions at Universal.

but I like Rip Ride Rockit better because it's YAY FUN.

For the first half. After the treble cleff element the ride loses all of it's steam and it's a long, slow, boring crawl back to the station. From the station through the treble cleff, though, it's one hell of an awesome ride.

I know this is random... and a bit off the topic of the current discussion... But am I the only one who thinks that Hulk 2.0 might be the first RMC T-Rex installation we see?? Reasons why I think this??

- Last time I checked almost ALL of the track, AND supports were gone. Leaving only the footers. By now everything could be gone, we just haven't seen pictures of it yet.

- We know that RMC said they already had customers interested in the T-Rex product.

- Even the trains are gone. Why scrap the trains when they (could) work just fine on the new B&M track (If that's what they are going with) aside from the trains being old, and not having the "vest" restraints.

- We have seen how RMC can take a wooden coaster and reprofile it, and give it new life!! Who's to say they can't do the same with a steel coaster?? For the most part all that is left of old Hulk are the footers. RMC could easily use the footers to support the track, and still come up with a new unique layout.

- Universal will not confirm or deny B&M being involved with the new coaster. Why not just say "Yes, they are involved" unless you are going with a different company??

#EndSpeculation

Just some random things my partner and I were discussing, that I thought may be something to think about... Personally... I would LOVE to see Hulk 2.0 be an RMC T-Rex track... But maybe that's just me.

^ And now Screamscape is reporting the same thing.

About four weeks ago I reported a rumor that sent shockwaves through the theme park and coaster enthusiast community, with a statement that simply said that the 2016 version of The Incredible Hulk coaster “ may not be from B&M.”

I am happy to report at this point that that rumor now appears to not only be in error, but it and a whole slew of other rumors and details that started to pour in following that were likely part of a deliberate dis-information campaign on the part of Universal Creative to locate and shut down any internal information leaks within their organization. As mentioned, many other rumors soon followed that either attempted to provide more detailed information on the rehab, both collaborative and conflicting, as well as rumors about “other” projects in development. Since things were getting a bit fishy I opted to not report on any of those rumors as well for the last several weeks to let the dust settle, which I believe it has.

The end result seems to be that B&M will indeed be involved in building the new and improved Incredible Hulk coaster, and if you’ve seen some of the photos and videos from the fabication plant in Ohio over the last month, there are a number of unpainted track pieces on site in the background, which are very likely for the Hulk coaster. We’re just waiting to see when the first piece of Green track will be spotted in the yard, finished and ready for shipment.

Take that for what it's worth.