TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I don't think Hulk necessarily NEEDS so much of its track replaced, but they're doing it because it's probably the most economical solution long term. The coaster is such a workhorse for the park for all the reasons mentioned, and Universal were probably at bit of a crossroad in that do they throw money at it papering over the cracks, or do they just bite the bullet and do it properly. It's like when your car starts becoming unreliable. You can try and keep on top of fixing it, but sometimes it's just best to say 'yeah, I'll get a new car' rather than throw money into a bottomless pit. With the launch needing work I guess they're killing two birds with one stone.

BTW I'm pretty sure track on Nemesis has been replaced over the years, particularly on the helix. So a lot of track replacement probably happens on a lot of coasters that we don't even know about. I think with Hulk being so popular it makes sense for them just to do a root to tip rehab on it so that it's reliable and doesn't need much work over the next few years.

So a lot of track replacement probably happens on a lot of coasters that we don't even know about.

THIS! I know there have been quite a few coasters that have replaced sections of track over the years (California Screamin' loop for example), but parks don't make a big deal out of it, because it's just part of routine upkeep, and a lot of times it's done while the park is closed, so there isn't any real media around it.

This one just happens to be VERY visible and the park itself has issued press releases about the improved version of the ride so of course it's getting a lot of attention.

This one just happens to be VERY visible and the park itself has issued press releases about the improved version of the ride so of course it's getting a lot of attention.

That's the one disadvantage of having a coaster that runs over and interacts with guest areas - you can't do any major rehabilitation work without the public knowing about it. It's pretty tricky for places like the Universal Orlando parks that rely so heavily on a consistent guest experience. Something has to give!

FWIW, I've been to USO/IOA three total times (each a week-long stay), staying in the Loews Royal Pacific every time. That hotel is close enough to see and hear Hulk from your room if you're on the correct side (all three times I was on the same side). I'm not exaggerating when I say that probably more than 90% of those days I was woken up by Hulk's B&M roar at 6 or 7am, and at the same time heard it still going well past midnight. Keep in mind my visits were in September & May, when the park closed at 6 or 7pm. I was amazed at the fact that it just...Never. Stops. Running.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

The layout won't be changing from what we were told, however there is a possibility that some sections could be reshaped. There will be something different about the launch system and the trains are getting some modernization.

Bummer, since Hulk was designed just before B&M began mixing vagisil into the ink they print their blueprints with.

I wasn't given the impression that the ride would be toned down at all.

It's probably not what they're going for, but the B&M of today is different than the B&M of old. If they're re-shaping track sections...I'm not an engineer, but I would imagine that the difference between a forceful ride and a fluff ride are not too radical in terms of track profile. It would probably only take a tweak here or there to turn Kumba into Kraken.

Ironically, I rode Kumba this past Thursday and then Krakken yesterday. Now I better understand what you were saying. Had a blast on both coasters but Kumba felt more aggressive to me.

The layout won't be changing from what we were told, however there is a possibility that some sections could be reshaped. There will be something different about the launch system and the trains are getting some modernization.

Bummer, since Hulk was designed just before B&M began mixing vagisil into the ink they print their blueprints with.

I wasn't given the impression that the ride would be toned down at all.

It's probably not what they're going for, but the B&M of today is different than the B&M of old. If they're re-shaping track sections...I'm not an engineer, but I would imagine that the difference between a forceful ride and a fluff ride are not too radical in terms of track profile. It would probably only take a tweak here or there to turn Kumba into Kraken.

Ironically, I rode Kumba this past Thursday and then Krakken yesterday. Now I better understand what you were saying. Had a blast on both coasters but Kumba felt more aggressive to me.

First off, I think I overused the quote button there. Oopsy.

And yeah, Kumba and Kraken are pretty much clones. Not direct clones, but clones nonetheless.

Kraken is better

And yeah, Kumba and Kraken are pretty much clones. not direct clones, but clones nonetheless.

What are you talking about?!?!? Kumba and Kraken are two totally and completely different layouts!!! Kumba has a curved drop, Kraken has a straight drop. Kraken features two vertical loops, Kumba has one. Kumba's lift hill goes through the loop, Kraken's lift hill does not. Kumba has two interlocking corkscrews, Kraken has one. Kraken has floorless trains, Kumba has floored trains. I could go on...

The two rides are so completely different and not at all clones of each other.

Edited by robbalvey

FWIW, I've been to USO/IOA three total times (each a week-long stay), staying in the Loews Royal Pacific every time. That hotel is close enough to see and hear Hulk from your room if you're on the correct side (all three times I was on the same side). I'm not exaggerating when I say that probably more than 90% of those days I was woken up by Hulk's B&M roar at 6 or 7am, and at the same time heard it still going well past midnight. Keep in mind my visits were in September & May, when the park closed at 6 or 7pm. I was amazed at the fact that it just...Never. Stops. Running.

Hmm. Maybe they will fill the tracks with sand like Talon at Dorney park to remove the problems with people complaining about the noise? Could also be a reason why they would want to replace the entire track. (But it would take away from the whole Hulk's roar effect).

I'm very interested to see what The Incredible Hulk looks like once it returns... I wonder if it will be a carbon copy of the previous ride, launch system and all, or if they will use rebuild as an opportunity to make any changes to the ride layout or launch mechanisms.

Was back there again today. Not sure if this has been posted but this piece is clearly marked as scrap. Looks like there are red and blue dots now marking other sections.

20151015_151443573_iOS.jpg?psid=1

Image is not showing up. Can you upload the image so this doesn't happen? Thanks.

Sorry, looks like a permissions issue with the host. Will try this new link.

20151015_151443573_iOS.jpg?psid=1

Can we get this photo to appear? I'd like to see proof that this guy knows which pieces are being 'marked as scrap'.

Sorry, I will try a new host. I can can see them when I post from my live.com account but apparently nobody else can.

It's odd because I can see the picture too... And it loads immediately for me too. I can't see the first one you originally posted though, just the new one.

*edit* I can't see the new one you just uploaded though. Weird.

Sorry, I will try a new host. I can can see them when I post from my live.com account but apparently nobody else can.

It's odd because I can see the picture too... And it loads immediately for me too. I can't see the first one you originally posted though, just the new one.

*edit* I can't see the new one you just uploaded though. Weird.

Sorry, I'm terrible with posting pictures. lol It's working for me now but we'll see if others can see it.

Hmm. Maybe they will fill the tracks with sand like Talon at Dorney park to remove the problems with people complaining about the noise? Could also be a reason why they would want to replace the entire track. (But it would take away from the whole Hulk's roar effect).

I wasn't complaining about the noise. Trust me, nothing lulls me to sleep better than B&M roar. The purpose of that post was to reiterate that Hulk runs constantly. Even hours before the park opens, and hours after the park closes.