TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Plus, why would Universal "reveal" to somebody that B&M was doing the refurb, then later say that on Twitter? If B&M was rebuilding the ride, what would be the big deal with revealing it? It's not like the ride is a "completely" new addition.

I still think B&M will end up being the company behind the refurb, but this definitely is a little fishy.

It's likely just a lack of internal communication. When ThemeParkInsider (or any website/entity that is considered a media outlet by Universal) reaches out to Universal, they e-mail a member of the Public Relations department, who are authorized to give answers on behalf of the company. When you ask a question on Twitter, you're just talking to a member of the social media team, so their response is going to be a bit more limited. So I definitely wouldn't read too much into a twitter reply.

^ I think that is absolutely correct.

After what happened with Maruer on Rip Ride Rockit and then again Universal working with Vekoma on Battlestar, I cannot image they would go with anyone but B&M to re-do what is probably their #1 signature attraction. Weirder things have happened, but if I were a gambling man, I'd place my bets that the information saying it's B&M is correct.

Edited by robbalvey

But aren't they completely removing all track from the ride? At least that's what I've heard. Everything is still speculation, nobody seems sure what is really going to happen.

I thought that it was said somewhere that the track in the station and transfer areas is still okay.

It actually amazes me that so many people are making a fuss about the chance that B&M may not be involved in this project. Given the fact that still even after all the Potter crap people still always think of Hulk when you mention Universal, they are not going to half arse this project. I look forward to seeing the final result and if it brings the ride back to the awesomeness I heard it ran at years ago then I'm all for it.

Honestly I'd be perfectly happy if they just re-did the second half of the ride. Not because it got rough or anything, but because everything after the MCBR is a snooze-fest. Hulk has one of the greatest first halves I've ever ridden. It's awesome. After the MCBR, though, ugh.

Outside of Harry Potter and the Tram Tour, the Incredible Hulk is the most recognizable attraction at any Universal Park in the world. Its the flagship, it sets the tone upon arrival, an unofficial mascot if I may. More than that though this is the most cycled B&M coaster on the planet that has been beyond efficient and incredibly reliable. They have no reason to risk ruining the experience or taking a chance with any other manufacturer on one of the worlds most recognizable roller coasters. And lets face it the last couple of vendors outside of Mack and Premier have been shaky at best... Mauer, Intamin (Gringotts), and Vekoma have all required MAJOR downtimes. Something that IOA / Universal Orlando cannot deal with right now. Its B&M folks...

As for the track replacement rumors as to why and what not, I don't pretend to know the life span of a steel coaster. But what I do know is we should applaud Universal for investing the massive amount of capital into this amazing coaster. I mean they're fixing the ride experience that lets face it has become a little choppy over the last half decade. Can't go into details but the Incredible Hulk will steal Mako's thunder down the street. They're going all out on this...

The source for confirming seems sketchy but I'd like B&M to come back and re-do the coaster but those first 4 elements of the ride to me is what made it great. I think that the back part of the ride can go and I wouldn't miss it at all. Looking at the track in the scrap yard that ride was run into the ground! It needed a rehab or some sort.

What is most interesting to me is wondering what other rides at other parks are going to get the "Incredible Hulk" treatment. While the ride is in Orlando and thus running every day all day. What about other rides that are in more harsh environments where it snows. It also makes me wonder what is the life span of other B&M even if they don't run as hard and heavy as the Hulk.

I can't imagine that the UAE Hulk track would've been manufactured, they hardly did any work on the park before it was cancelled, so surely would've been a way off even thinking of installing any track. So to have the track already manufactured, it would've meant storing it for quite a while, which doesn't make much sense.

I thought I read somewhere that some of the track for UAE's Revenge of the Mummy was actually manufactured and delivered to the construction site before the project stalled. So I feel like it's possible that some of the Hulk track for UAE could have been made already. Of course, they're different coasters and manufacturers though, so who knows? I don't even know if the story about Mummy is true- just read about it on another theme park site.

It's not about the weather. It's about the cycles and constant stress placed on the track.

This exactly. One example is the loop on California Screamin'- the top half of the loop had to be replaced a few years ago due to stress fractures (pictures of the loop's removal/replacement can be found on other sites, and I'm sure there are some here on TPR). That's what happens when the ride is open nearly 365 days a year (accounting for extended downtimes/refurbishments), and when they're consistently running 4 or 5 trains! The loop was replaced in 2011 if I'm not mistaken- only 10 years after it had first opened! So this whole Hulk refurbishment makes a lot of sense considering it follows a similar operating pattern to Screamin', and it's only a couple years older than it.

What is most interesting to me is wondering what other rides at other parks are going to get the "Incredible Hulk" treatment.

As far as B&M goes, I'd put my money on The Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, though it doesn't operate as heavily as Hulk (meaning that the park isn't open every day of the year, but at the same time they don't have a true offseason since they're opens on weekends at a minimum). Maybe Kumba at BGT or even IOA's own Dragon Challenge? Just guessing based on B&Ms that operate with a comparable cycling/operating schedule as Hulk that are around the same age.

I'd be willing to bet imaginary money that if the Hulk reconstruction is successful, Dragon Challenge will be next. All three coasters have been around since the park's opening, Dragon Challenge's condition has to be at least near what Hulk's was before the demolition started.

Kumba probably has the most miles on it in terms of B&M coasters, I guess we'll have to see if it ever gets the 'Hulk' treatment or just gets removed altogether.

And regarding Riddler, they havent run it a full capacity since probably the early 00's so I dont think it's any danger at the moment.

I can't imagine that the UAE Hulk track would've been manufactured, they hardly did any work on the park before it was cancelled, so surely would've been a way off even thinking of installing any track. So to have the track already manufactured, it would've meant storing it for quite a while, which doesn't make much sense.

I thought I read somewhere that some of the track for UAE's Revenge of the Mummy was actually manufactured and delivered to the construction site before the project stalled. So I feel like it's possible that some of the Hulk track for UAE could have been made already. Of course, they're different coasters and manufacturers though, so who knows? I don't even know if the story about Mummy is true- just read about it on another theme park site.

Dubai Mummy became Singapore Mummy

I didn't realize that they were actually changing the track, I thought it was just a queue upgrade and themeing or something. What do you guys think; will Universal be willing to try something unique, or will they play it safe and go with the standard same-6-elements-in-different-order B&M?

I just don't see them making changes to the layout. Even after 16 years, it was still one of the most popular rides at the park and was the signature ride when the park opened. I can see new trains with the B&M vest type restraints and on board audio. I can see an enhanced queue area. I can see a new launch system. But I just don't see them making changes to the layout.

Honestly, no matter how much I wish Kumba would get the Hulk treatment, knowing Seaworld Entertainment Parks, that's pretty unlikely to happen. Even though it is an incredible coaster, a new coaster is much much easier to market and a much larger draw than a refurbished coaster (especially one that is tucked away in the back with relatively low ridership compared to Montu, SheiKra, and Cheetah Hunt. I'm praying for Kumba to get a massive refurb but I honestly just can't see it happening.

Sorry!! Just realized how off topic this is.

Honestly, no matter how much I wish Kumba would get the Hulk treatment, knowing Seaworld Entertainment Parks, that's pretty unlikely to happen. Even though it is an incredible coaster, a new coaster is much much easier to market and a much larger draw than a refurbished coaster (especially one that is tucked away in the back with relatively low ridership compared to Montu, SheiKra, and Cheetah Hunt. I'm praying for Kumba to get a massive refurb but I honestly just can't see it happening.

Why does Kumba need a massive refurb, that thing still rides (and looks) like a top 10 steel coaster?

Why does Kumba need a massive refurb, that thing still rides (and looks) like a top 10 steel coaster?

Kumba doesn't need a massive refurb at all. I rode it last week and thought it ran great. It's still one of the most forceful B&Ms out there and it has aged really well.

False.

False.

I should of been more specific as the ride that was planned for Dubai essentially picked up and moved to Singapore. The ride plans not specifically the track.