TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Very interesting, thank you for enlightening me! I would have never guessed Blue Fire and Verbolten's LSM systems were contacted outside the manufacturers!

Robb, do you think they'll keep the launch/drive tire system then? I would imagine the drive tires need to be replaced and maintained far more often than an LSM fin, so if they are spending all of this money on some new track and trains, would it even be a possibility that they would spend money on a more efficient laucnh system?

I got to ride the Hulk several times in a visit in the early 2000's. I absolutely loved the ride, i guess it broke down pretty bad over time to warrant the complaints and the changes going on now. I was sad to see the pictures but it seems new and improved version is coming which makes me happy and want to get back there to try it out.

^The Hulk coaster was every bit as mercurial as its namesake. Sometimes, it was a great ride; other times, it simply beat you to death.

I like the ride, too, and hope that whatever they're doing makes it consistently good again.

^Interesting, I read that it was B&M's first in house launch. I guess you learn something new everyday!

^ Yeah, that's not entirely accurate. The launch system for Thundebird was supplied by Intrasys: http://www.intrasys-gmbh.com/

Other than Intamin, I don't think any major manufacturer provides LSM launch systems in-house. Intrasys is pretty much the go to company for these types of systems and I know for a fact they have provided them to at least Vekoma, Premier, Mack, B&M, and Zierer.

Another company for LIM/LSM is Velocity Magnetics. Though they were mostly focused on magnetic brakes, they started to make launch systems recently, as they are providing Dollywood and RMC on Lighting Rod.

EastCoastn07, are you sure Intamin does it in house? I found a close-up shot of an Intamin LSM in my folders, if that helps solving the mystery.

Edited by KingRCT3

I just find this whole entire project very interesting. I was showing people pictures of the Hulk and they began to freak out as they thought they tore it down and was closed forever!

I have never have had a bad ride on the Hulk. I can see the need for the change though but I've probably been on this ride at least 100 times.

Love Universal and all of its projects! I can't wait until next Thursday for Halloween Horror Nights!

EastCoastn07, are you sure Intamin does it in house? I found a close-up shot of an Intamin LSM in my folders, if that helps solving the mystery.

Intamin uses Indrivetec.

http://www.indrivetec.ch

That looks to be a subsidiary of Intamin AG, which would classify Intamin's LSMs/LIMs as "in-house". Unless it isn't a subsidiary, in which case, ignore my comment!

So this harebrained trip is actually happening! We are leaving Friday night though and staying over in SC, before finishing the trip in the morning. So now we have the two days at the park, which is better. That said, does anyone have a recommended game plan? I remember years ago being like "I would never go to HHN, 2 scary 5 me." And now I am! I pretty hype; last minute trips are always fun.

But game plan recommendations and recommendations for things to do on Monday would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Will you be spending two full days with park to park tickets?

Personally, I enjoy Islands of Adventure more than Universal but now that the Hulk is down I'll probably go to Universal more. Each park has great rides and experiences that are worthy of checking out. Lines shouldn't be too bad at this time of the year. Just get to the park early in the morning, and then tackle as many rides as you can before the crowd starts picking up.

Despicable Me always has a long line. Even at park opening due to the early entry from hotel guests.

We're actually just doing the rush of fear pass for Saturday and Sunday. Both of us have been fairly recently actually, having never been to HHN we don't know if there's an order to do mazes in or what. For example, the website says get there by 5. Is that really necessary?

Intamin uses Indrivetec.

http://www.indrivetec.ch

That looks to be a subsidiary of Intamin AG, which would classify Intamin's LSMs/LIMs as "in-house". Unless it isn't a subsidiary, in which case, ignore my comment!

Looked at the intamin site to see if there was any mention, I had no idea Intamin had an office in Korea not too far from Gangnam (from the song Gangnam Style). I must have walked past the building 20 times and had no idea Intamin had an office there. It's really close to Lotte World, which makes sense considering the number of intamin rides they own

Edited by Garet

Most companies don't build their LIM/LSMs in house, Intamin included (at least they didn't provide the LIMs on their impulse coasters, I know that for sure). I think the biggest difference is that some manufacturers program their own rides with provided LIM/LSMs and some do not. B&M for example designs the ride structure to specifications for a launched coaster but the ride programming is done by outside contractors (from what I've been told, but don't look at me as an expert on this and I could be full of s#!t). Intamin designs the structure and programs their rides (at least I know they did for the impulses).

In regards to Hulk, when i rode in 2012 I found it to have a significant rattle to it (maybe i caught it on a bad day?). But overall the ride experience was awesome. I'm really excited to see what the result is with the new track and trains. I wonder if Universal will opt for on-board audio this go around?

I'm curious, are they replacing any support structure, or does it appear to only be track?

Lastly, can we please all agree this is NOT a new credit? It seems like whenever Disney does this, everyone tries to claim it as a new credit.

Lastly, can we please all agree this is NOT a new credit? It seems like whenever Disney does this, everyone tries to claim it as a new credit.

That's up to the individual; personally, I wouldn't.

I just make a mental note of anyone who would claim it as a new credit and add them to my list of people I don't want to hang out with. I find it far more entertaining to quietly judge people and use it as a weeding out process.

Edited by robbalvey

I just make a mental note of anyone who would claim it as a new credit and add them to my list of people I don't want to hang out with. I find it far more entertaining to quietly judge people and use it as a weeding out process.

This is among the smartest things ever posted on the internet.

dt

I will give you another for this!