TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

INSIDIOUS ANNOUNCED HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS 25

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/insidious-hhn-25/

Some evil spirits want to live again—and some want to pull you into the eternal darkness.

Insidious: Chapter 3 has hit the theaters, and Halloween Horror Nights 25 is celebrating the trilogy by opening the “red doors” to the Further. For those new to the successful franchise, Insidious has scared audience members for the last six years, and all three films are represented in this year’s event.

You’ll come face to face with the evil denizens of the Further—the Long Haired Fiend, the Lipstick-Face Demon, the Bride in Black, and the newest evil: The Man Who Can’t Breathe.

The path through this terrifying maze can only be accomplished by going into the Further, the mysterious world of the spirits. Many of these spirits crave the souls of the living. And while guests are dodging the grasping hands of death, the Further will disorient any who travel into the great beyond.

Paranormal mazes bring a unique opportunity to engage the guests with an eerie theme and pervasive creepiness that will inhabit every turn. You can look forward to an unsettling feeling of terror following you home and roaming your nightmares.

Grab your tickets and be on your guard: the spirits want to take what you love most.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Earlier this week I was able to visit the Universal Orlando Resort for the first time in a while and since my last visit a few new things have sprung up...

IMG_0367.thumb.JPG.be7a84d781aad19f4631ad360256b613.JPG

The two Harry Potter Celebration commemorative prints can now be purchased as a set for $300... If that's something you're interested in.

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.051615c42df825eeba4489e264e7d2ec.JPG

Over in Islands of Adventure, Skull Island: Reign of Kong has grown tremendously since my last visit. The facade work completed looks incredible!

IMG_0372.thumb.JPG.b5c2d317bfe87b1c03376b594b659341.JPG

This appears to be the framing for rock work that will resemble Kong's iconic face.

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.79a1f713e7dab0ee8bd5e6701768bbf2.JPG

A lighter image may make it even easier to see.

IMG_0378.thumb.JPG.4e08363fd25f11149567fa4406cdcbc1.JPG

Over in Jurassic Park, Thunder Terrace Falls has received some minor thematic updates to tie into the recent release of Jurassic World.

IMG_0379.thumb.JPG.dbab3c3b1f4a551361bfa5c1fe524611.JPG

It is simple but looks really nice!

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.f84bafe22f6aab8351548dca128174b6.JPG

Located in the entrance of the former queue for the previous Triceratops Encounter experience, a new Raptor Encounter meet & greet has opened.

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.9fdff99c00ac1068da8153fde61e2fb8.JPG

The raptor emotes incredibly and has full range of motion, along with a bevy of well-triggered sound effects to sync up with the dinosaur's movements.

IMG_0386.thumb.JPG.58249a1b9cc5f520bdb8c296f8b0962f.JPG

It wouldn't be a visit to Universal without a Butterbeer!

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.3c5d5cc1aad26b4fe75e9eef2d3fa1cb.JPG

Over in Honeydukes several new desserts have debuted...

IMG_0390.thumb.JPG.0f8eda6410c64b98dfb9841459f2975e.JPG

And since you know I like food...

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.3b05592af0faa0780399f47c2ad54c74.JPG

I had to try them out! I went for the vanilla No Melt Ice Cream and the Pumpkin Cake.

IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.0469d142f97456dd1debb54f6fad7658.JPG

The pumpkin cake was moist and sweet, but not nearly as flavorful as my favorite pumpkin tart that debuted with Hogshead all those years ago. The no melt ice cream was described to me as whipped frosting, which is a pretty accurate description. It was very sweet and for frosting lovers will be a hit, but this is not a substitute to ice cream itself... They'd probably go really well together if you tried it.

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.979eae69f1bb06210254851cd48941bf.JPG

Most people don't realize this, but you can eat and drink on the Hogwarts Express... Just remember, pinkies out!

IMG_0400.thumb.JPG.0bc96fb77cc935055cbcd36cea571cc5.JPG

Still fun to watch!

IMG_0404.thumb.JPG.f860f4e595e49de750c43a0e994dae14.JPG

After seeing Celestina Warlock and the Banshees along with the Tale of the Three Brothers in Carkitt Market, I was finally able to see a new show in Diagon Alley!

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.ec8644d4cd1a473899e9485ac0a2255f.JPG

The Fountain of Fair Fortune recently debuted in Carkitt Market.

IMG_0410.thumb.JPG.12fd4f95bce57ebdd20d70a01f93530a.JPG

The show tells the story (via beautifully crafted puppets) of three witches on a quest to reach the Fountain of Fair Fortune and the trials of sacrifice they must endure to reach their goal. It is definitely worth a viewing if you're in Diagon Alley!

IMG_0418.thumb.JPG.092bd2c3dc5a945b06b3cd6cc363dd5c.JPG

I was finally able to test out this telephone booth outside of the London Waterfront, where if you dial the appropriate numbers, you can actually hear a message from the Ministry of Magic. It is a nice little detail for sure!

^Awesome update! Every single time I go to Diagon Alley, I find something new or a different detail that I've never noticed before. It really is an immersive land and it feels like you're not part of the theme park when inside. I am sad that Jaws is gone but Diagon Alley is definitely a great addition.

Now for a Jurassic World attraction! (One can only hope)

How are crowds during the first weeks of august? That's when I'll be visiting and I'm debating if I should get the express pass of not. Also how does the express pass work? Is it more like CF fast passes or Six flags. And lastly are the crowds here usually much heavier than Sea world or Busch Gardens?

Thanks

-Kris

Hulk has been operating harder and more frequently than any coaster in the world for 16 years, every single day of the year outside of rehabs. In a seasonal park's timescale, it has accrued the wear and tear of probably 30-35 years' worth of operations. I'm sure new trains are within possibility for a ride that has seen so much use. Much like Big Thunder and Space Mountain getting mega-refurbs at the disney parks over the last decade.

Has Hulk ever closed for an extended rehab? I think I read on this thread a few pages back it's getting new motors for the launch, so maybe they'll do more work on it while that's happening.

Has Hulk ever closed for an extended rehab? I think I read on this thread a few pages back it's getting new motors for the launch, so maybe they'll do more work on it while that's happening.

My understanding is that there will be two separate closures; one to do work primarily in the queue building, the second to do it on the ride itself (including the launch system and new trains).

Hulk has never really been down for extensive rehab, and it could very well be getting a lot of love and care done to it.

From my first and only ride on it I feel it totally needs a lot of love. After all the years of hype and people saying how good it was I came off disappointed with a headache. If the ride is to get new trains I will be interested to see what they look like and what restraints they go with. I would be interested too see how a ride like this could deal with a slimmed down vest restraint.

From my first and only ride on it I feel it totally needs a lot of love.

On the contrary, I thought that on my own first and only ride that it was kick butt, and one of my favorite B&M coasters. The rehab will just make a great attraction even better.

From my first and only ride on it I feel it totally needs a lot of love.

On the contrary, I thought that on my own first and only ride that it was kick butt, and one of my favorite B&M coasters. The rehab will just make a great attraction even better.

Honestly its not that the ride was terrible by any means. There are definitely worse B&Ms out there thats for sure but my ride was pretty rough to what I was expecting and it gave me a headache. Lots of love I'm sure will make this ride seriously awesome and I won't hesitate to give it another go.

How are crowds during the first weeks of august? That's when I'll be visiting and I'm debating if I should get the express pass of not. Also how does the express pass work? Is it more like CF fast passes or Six flags. And lastly are the crowds here usually much heavier than Sea world or Busch Gardens?

Thanks

-Kris

If you get there early enough, you should be able to do both parks without an Express Pass. Even with summer crowds, the finally consistent Gringotts usually has a 30 minute wait, and they move through it quickly. I would suggest doing Minions 1st since that always has the longest wait and lowest capacity.

Crowds are about the same as Sea World and Busch, but you don't have the 3000 people dumps after big shows that Sea World does. Have fun!

Edited by pianojohn

^Thirded. Minion Mayhem first, followed by HRRR second, and Transformers third is the best start you can have to a day at Universal Orlando. On a busy day, you can cut a midday combined wait time of 3.5 hours into a first-thing combined 15-25 minute wait.

I'm a little curious and I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have not been down to Orlando in a very long time and really want to get the most out of it. We are going for our honeymoon to do Halloween Horror Nights and our friend down there is insisting we have to get express passes for during the day. She is staying onsite at the Lowes Pacific but we cannot afford that and are looking at either Cabana Bay (which does not have the express passes) or Doubletree across from Universal. We are going October 15-19, so we have plenty of time I'm thinking and plan on doing HHN on Sunday the 18th, purchasing the VIP tour. I would think that we should be able to do all the attractions in a decent amount of time if we stay away from Saturday. The only other plans we have is to do Sea World, which our friend is not doing. We are on a pretty limited budget and just want to be able to go and have the best time we can. Any suggestions for us? I know at night my husband and I will be on our own as our friend is with her boyfriend and they drink pretty heavily and we don't drink at all, so we will go our separate ways except for HHN.

I'm a little curious and I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I have not been down to Orlando in a very long time and really want to get the most out of it. We are going for our honeymoon to do Halloween Horror Nights and our friend down there is insisting we have to get express passes for during the day. She is staying onsite at the Lowes Pacific but we cannot afford that and are looking at either Cabana Bay (which does not have the express passes) or Doubletree across from Universal. We are going October 15-19, so we have plenty of time I'm thinking and plan on doing HHN on Sunday the 18th, purchasing the VIP tour. I would think that we should be able to do all the attractions in a decent amount of time if we stay away from Saturday. The only other plans we have is to do Sea World, which our friend is not doing. We are on a pretty limited budget and just want to be able to go and have the best time we can. Any suggestions for us? I know at night my husband and I will be on our own as our friend is with her boyfriend and they drink pretty heavily and we don't drink at all, so we will go our separate ways except for HHN.

First off congrats on the wedding! Now to answer some of your concerns.. First off let me say I'm somewhat of a Universal and HHN Veteran. Been an AP Holder to the parks for over 10 years and this will be my 15th consecutive year going to HHN in Orlando. Not bragging nor gloating just merely sharing I've been around the block...

So first off if your choosing between the 2 hotels you listed do yourself a favor and stay at Cabana Bay. Its a wonderful, CLEAN, and large resort with great amenities. The Doubletree across the street has seen better years and its showing its age not just in the common areas but the rooms themselves. Now if your budget won't allow for Cabana Bay may I also suggest the Hyatt across the street. Been there as well and its a very nice hotel.

Now as for Express during the day, its really not needed if you ask me. The crowds won't be light during the middle of October but they also won't be heavy. Is it nice to have, yeah sure it is but at the same time if you plan your day out right you won't need them. My recommendation is utilize early park entry (if staying at Cabana Bay) knock out all the big attractions and leave by 1pm when crowds are at there peak. Head back to the hotel, take a nap or hit the pool (again huge bonus at Cabana Bay) Then head back to IOA around 4 or 5 as crowds are dying down to hit several of the big rides with little to no wait. Also keep in mind the Studios will be closing early during your visit for HHN so hitting the Studios in the morning and IOA at night is the way to go.

Finally in reference to your HHN plan may I recommend skipping the RIP Tour.. I know that may sound crazy but IMO your better off just buying express and saving yourselves an easy 100 bucks. The night you plan on going that tour will probably run you $150 bucks plus admission. Another idea and IMO the way to go is look into a Frequent Fear Pass. You two can go essentially 2 nights for the price of one or even the Frequent Fear Plus pass which would get you in 3 nights during your stay for 9 dollars more than a general admission ticket. HHN has grown tremendously over the years and with this being the big 25th Anniversary expect large crowds coupled with the large amount of offerings. Not sure if you guys are big Horror fans but the event is a blast and IMO well worth more than one night if your lucky enough to be staying onsite while its going on.

Oh and Antarctica sucks...

Any who I hope this helps, and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Loews Sapphire Falls Resort Update! Now taking Reservations! Opening July 14, 2016!

http://blog.universalorlando.com/visiting-us/5-reasons-meeting-sapphire-falls-resort/

TOP 5 REASONS TO BOOK YOUR MEETING AT LOEWS SAPPHIRE FALLS RESORT

If you thought Universal Orlando Resort was an incredible place for meetings before, just wait.

Opening in 2016, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort will add 1,000 rooms and 115,000 square feet of meeting space to Universal Orlando. Whether you’re looking to host a major corporate meeting, a large-scale tradeshow and exhibit, or an association convention, our expanded meeting and event options put countless options at your fingertips.

Here are a few things you might like to know about why Loews Sapphire Falls Resort is the best choice for your next meeting.

1. Unique Resort-Wide Theming

If you’ve visited our on-site hotels, you know that they transport our guests to an entirely different world—and that it’s all in the details. With stone ruins, sandy beaches, waterfalls, and uniquely-themed dining experiences, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort will make your attendees feel like they’re meeting in the Caribbean islands.

2. Meeting Space Designed with Planners in Mind

We know how much time and effort it takes to bring a meeting to life—our job is to make your job easier. In addition to Loews Hotels & Resorts’ renowned service, our new hotel will have loading docks with easy access to all meeting space, a business center adjacent to the meeting planner offices, and a dedicated registration desk and meetings entrance.

Here are some more details that were specifically designed with Meeting Planners in mind:

High quality sound system and built-in ceiling speakers.

Sophisticated AV network to allow for audio and video signals between all meeting spaces.

Digital signage system throughout to assist with wayfinding and meeting room displays.

Large pre-function areas surrounding main entrances.

3. Massive Meeting Complex with Loews Royal Pacific Resort

Go big or go home, right? Loews Sapphire Falls Resort will connect to the newly expanded meeting space at Loews Royal Pacific Resort coming this fall. That gives you a total of 2,000 rooms and 247,000 square feet of meeting space to work with.

4. The Convenience and Value of One Destination

Proximity is important, especially when working with a budget. When your attendees stay at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, they are a complimentary water taxi ride away from our theme parks and Universal CityWalk.

So, if you are planning an after-hours event outside of the hotel, there’s no need to worry about additional transportation costs.

5. An Attendee Experience to Remember

At Universal Orlando, we offer everything you could want to inspire, motivate, and entertain your attendees in and outside the ballroom. When your attendees have some time to themselves, they’ll be amazed by all there is to do not only at our hotels but our two theme parks and CityWalk. And because we are one seamless destination, getting there is easy (and free!).

They can experience VIP treatment with Early Park Admission one hour before the theme park opens, complimentary in-room delivery of merchandise, and the convenience of resort-wide charging with their hotel room key card.

Even friends and family members receive these special theme park benefits, giving them a fun way to pass the time while your attendees are in meetings.

We can’t wait to help make your next meeting one to remember. Contact us and ask about our current incentives to book your next meeting.

Meeting Room Conceptual Rendering

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/sapphire-falls-resort-now-on-sale/

LOEWS SAPPHIRE FALLS RESORT IS NOW ON SALE!

It’s officially Summer and, if you’re like me, you’re wanting to escape to paradise. Luckily for me (and you), Universal Orlando and Loews Hotels are going to make that much easier. Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Universal Orlando Resort’s newest hotel, is now on sale and will be ready to welcome its first guests on July 14, 2016.

Last year we shared some of the resort’s theme, which is inspired by the Caribbean—where shoes are optional and relaxation will be calling our name.

But now, we can share even more about what you’ll experience when you visit.

One of my favorite things about this resort is the 16,000 sq. ft. pool. It will feature an awesome waterslide and a massive fire pit right next to it. In fact, it’ll be the largest pool and fire pit across all of our on-site hotels. Hello, s’mores!

I was astounded to hear that this resort would feature 1,000 guest rooms and 83 suites. The rooms will feature great amenities like free wi-fi, a huge flat screen TV and incredible views. I can feel my troubles already melting away into tropical bliss…

Speaking of which, there will be several Caribbean dining options available—you will never need to go hungry! The resort will offer restaurants and lounges with exciting options inspired by Caribbean cuisine:

-Strong Water Tavern – This lounge serves lunch and dinner and will be a great place for relaxing after a long day. For those of age, the daily rum tastings are something I know I won’t want to miss.

-Drhum Club Kantine – If you’re ready to relax by the pool (my favorite spot) and enjoy some Caribbean-infused drinks (piña coladas, yum!), this spot is where it’s at.

-Amatista Cookhouse – With an open exhibition kitchen, you can watch chefs prepare Caribbean fare right in front of you for breakfast, lunch or dinner. But what I like most about this restaurant is that it will overlook the lagoon, really making me feel like I’ve made my way to paradise.

The list goes on and on with everything to do here!

I can confidently say that you will not be disappointed when you stay at Loews Sapphire Falls Resort. Plus, when you stay at this resort, you’ll get to enjoy some serious perks:

-Early Park Admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter one hour before the theme park opens (valid theme park admission required)

-Complimentary transportation to both theme parks and Universal CityWalk make getting around the resort fast and easy so you can make the most of your time

-Complimentary delivery of merchandise purchased throughout the resort to your hotel

-Resort-wide charging privileges with your room key card

-Complimentary scheduled transportation to nearby Wet ‘n Wild water park, SeaWorld, and Aquatica

-Universal Orlando character appearances with some of your favorite theme park characters

And More!

Loews Sapphire Falls Resort really is going to be an island jewel right in Orlando. I can’t wait to escape to paradise in Summer 2016.

Click here to book your escape and get more details on hotel benefits. And while we wait for next summer, let’s just watch this video over and over again and dream of sunsets and swimming pools.

Pool Concept Rendering

Model Room

Model Room Bathroom

Strong Water Tavern Conceptual Rendering

Amatista Cookhouse Conceptual Rendering

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

HTF, THANK YOU so much for all the advice. I am a HUGE horror plan and my dream has always been to hit HHN, ever since I was a travel agent way back in the late 90s. I got to tour IOA before it opened to the public and that's when I learned about HHN. This is actually a delayed honeymoon, we are celebrating our 1 year anniversary Saturday and have had to wait to take a proper honeymoon. I really do want to stay at Cabana Bay, it's only about $20 more a night than Doubletree, but I will also check the Hyatt. Your recommendation for during the day is excellent, I really didn't think we needed to do the express passes. The only reason we were going to do the VIP tour is because our friend is doing it, but you are right, it's like $140 per person not including the price of admission. The only thing she said was that to go through the houses they are not that scary as there is a constant stream of people going in so you see the scares ahead of time where you don't with the tour. Do you know if this is true? I love the idea of the frequent fear pass since we will be there any way. I know the crowds can get crazy and I do not want to miss anything. We are truly going for HHN and the parks, as my husband has never been to FL. I have to plan this carefully as my husband is a recovering alcoholic, so I'm trying to stay away from Citywalk except for maybe to go to dinner or something. My friend on the other hand drinks A LOT, so I know evenings we will be pretty much on our own except for the night of HHN, but now you really have me thinking that we should just not do that VIP tour and just spend more time at the event instead. I know with it being the 25th anniversary it's going to be big and we are so excited, just seems pretty overwhelming right now trying to work this on a budget. Luckily I have found cheap air fare which will help a great deal. Any other ideas I welcome hearing from you, thanks so much!

I find it sad, that with all the water saving we're supposed to be doing around parts of the world,

hotels still think it's fine to just install a shower in a bathroom. And not include a bath tub.

Just my 5 cents (with the current exchange rate).

I find it sad, that with all the water saving we're supposed to be doing around parts of the world,

hotels still think it's fine to just install a shower in a bathroom. And not include a bath tub.

Bill: Your statement really doesn't make sense. It's commonly known that taking a shower uses less water than a bath.

So - if a hotel builds rooms that only have a shower rather than a bathtub - the hotel is, in fact, helping to save water.

The only reason we were going to do the VIP tour is because our friend is doing it, but you are right, it's like $140 per person not including the price of admission. The only thing she said was that to go through the houses they are not that scary as there is a constant stream of people going in so you see the scares ahead of time where you don't with the tour. Do you know if this is true?

I can add my 2 cents. Last year was the first time I had done the RIP tour and I loved it and thought it was worth the price (as a premier pass holder I already get a free admission ticket to HHN) so all I had to pay for was the $139 tour.

In the years past (7 now) I have always done the express pass and on the more popular houses the express line can still have up to 45-60 min wait in my experience. On the RIP, your group walks up the entrance door. ZERO wait. AMAZING.

Also on the RIP tour, your group is basically the only people in the house at the time. So when you go in they build a buffer into the line before you go in. I got every effect on every house. I remember literally running out of the Halloween house last year at the end since thee was no "safe" space to be in.

I think all the prices for this event are too high, but clearly people are willing to pay it (GUILTY) but in the grand scheme of making most of each house, I highly recommend the RIP tour.

...Bill: Your statement really doesn't make sense. It's commonly known that taking a shower uses less water than a bath.

So - if a hotel builds rooms that only have a shower rather than a bathtub - the hotel is, in fact, helping to save water.

Yeah, I rethought all that out, and agree with you. Unfortunately, I couldn't take that statement back, and I don't like leaving a space where a post would have been. So I just decided to leave it as it was...waiting for you to correct me. Thanks, Dan.

My oops.