TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I'm gonna be down at Universal on probably the 13th and 14th or 15th. I remember hearing that the Incredible Hulk will be undergoing some upkeep and I'm curious if anyone knows if the ride will be open these days? Also, is the fast pass worth getting if I only have two days to be at both parks?

I'm gonna be down at Universal on probably the 13th and 14th or 15th. I remember hearing that the Incredible Hulk will be undergoing some upkeep and I'm curious if anyone knows if the ride will be open these days? Also, is the fast pass worth getting if I only have two days to be at both parks?

I know that they are replacing the launch motors, however this is rumored to be after peak season, but no one really knows when exactly. I'd assume you would be fine those days. Also, has anyone hear the rumors of replacing the launch system and trains to LIM with new trains with different restraints?

I know that they are replacing the launch motors, however this is rumored to be after peak season, but no one really knows when exactly. I'd assume you would be fine those days. Also, has anyone hear the rumors of replacing the launch system and trains to LIM with new trains with different restraints?

^I only heard that the launch motors were being replaced.

I don't know why they would change the the trains and have new restraints. What new trains and what new restraints? Where did you hear this?

^I only heard that the launch motors were being replaced.

I don't know why they would change the the trains and have new restraints. What new trains and what new restraints? Where did you hear this?

I've heard listening to the In the Loop podcast that there was a new train spotted in the maintenance shop with Clam shell restraints. I know there has been a lot of talk of a massive change coming to the ride, and it is due for an upgrade. Now that B&M is doing launches, people have been tossing around the idea of them replacing the launch system over the next year. Just what I've heard, mostly rumors so definitely don't quote me on that.

Here's your weather forecast for Florida during the summer. Warm and steamy in the morning, upper 80's to low 90's, chance of mid-afternoon showers around 2-4 PM. Hot and muggy for the PM commute.

Every. Single. Day...

Hey everyone, there's another Universal Orlando social media hoax (that uses an image of Six Flags Magic Mountain) going around with a suspicious link - keep your eyes peeled.

The rumor about the new Hulk restraints is hard for me to believe. Seems to me that a coaster with a crazy launch like Hulk would keep OTS restraints.

That's what I thought too, however the launch on Hulk is not too intense. I mean TTD's launch is way more intense, and that only has lap bars. I still can not see them switching to lap bars however, that is just what I have heard.

The rumor about the new Hulk restraints is hard for me to believe. Seems to me that a coaster with a crazy launch like Hulk would keep OTS restraints.

The shoulder harnesses have nothing to do with the fact that it's a launched coaster. It's the seat's tall backrest that keeps you in place during a launch - there are plenty of launched coasters all over the world with only lap bars but tall backrests for your body to be pushed back onto (Top Thrill Dragster, Xcelerator, Verboten, et al). B&M sitting coaster trains just don't have a place to anchor the restraint in front of the riders because the cars are so much closer together, so they use shoulder harnesses (at least, this is what I've come to understand).

You can have a clamshell-style restraint in the form of a shoulder harness, just look at Banshee and the wing coasters.

Edited by A.J.

The shoulder harnesses have nothing to do with the fact that it's a launched coaster. It's the seat's tall backrest that keeps you in place during a launch - there are plenty of launched coasters all over the world with only lap bars but tall backrests for your body to be pushed back onto (Top Thrill Dragster, Xcelerator, Verboten, et al). B&M sitting coaster trains just don't have a place to anchor the restraint in front of the riders because the cars are so much closer together, so they use shoulder harnesses.

You can have a clamshell-style restraint in the form of a shoulder harness, just look at Banshee and the wing coasters.

That is a good point. They might be adding the vests later if this is true. I just could not see them taking the route of the lap bar because of the fact you pointed out that it takes a considerable more amount of room. That being said, I would love to see lap bar only, just to see how the forces change throughout the ride, specifically in the zero-g-roll.

Those restraints are wider though...therefore making the trains wider than the ones they have now. I don't see how that would work.

Personally, I hope the Hulk doesn't get the vest restraints. I like it how it is now. I actually like these B&M restraints better than the vest ones. These don't press down on you the whole ride. And they don't get tighter and tighter as the ride goes on. While the vest restraints don't have headbanging...I actually like how the Hulk is a little bit rough in places. To me it adds to the ride.

I'm not saying that I won't welcome a smoother ride for the Hulk...I just don't see the need for all new trains and restraints. What ain't broke...don't fix it!

Ladies and Gentlemen, a quote all theme park execs need to learn!

I agree. The ride is very good right now. However, the GP does not like the roughness, and we all know, whatever the GP wants, the GP will get, unfortunately.

Well, they do represent the vast majority of the park's business.

The Hulk, much like its namesake, is mercurial--great rides one day, rough ones the next. If Universal thinks they can improve the ride and make it more consistently good, more power to them.

Those restraints are wider though...therefore making the trains wider than the ones they have now. I don't see how that would work.

If they did a variation where the grab bars didn't extend so far to the left and right, they might be able to put the seats close enough together to have a train with the same width as the old one.

If they did a variation where the grab bars didn't extend so far to the left and right, they might be able to put the seats close enough together to have a train with the same width as the old one.

In theory its easily possible. As a mechanical Engineering major, I have been working on designing a new train style that has the lap bars only, however are just retrofired from the old OTSR. Basically they are bars that extend up and around from the old sockets. If a Freshman Engineer can design something like this, I'm sure the engineers at B&M can.

I stopped by the park the other day at Islands of Adventure, there are a lot of Jurassic World posters in the Thunder Terrace restaurant area. Also, the Raptor Encounters were pretty long but wow is that neat to see in person!

Also, after the installment of the metal detectors, it seems that they got the hang of operating everything with them and things have been running pretty smoothly. It is very easy to get a locker and just go through the metal detectors. At first I thought it was going to be a pain but it really isn't now they've been doing it for some time now.

Hulk has been operating harder and more frequently than any coaster in the world for 16 years, every single day of the year outside of rehabs. In a seasonal park's timescale, it has accrued the wear and tear of probably 30-35 years' worth of operations. I'm sure new trains are within possibility for a ride that has seen so much use. Much like Big Thunder and Space Mountain getting mega-refurbs at the disney parks over the last decade.