TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Hulk, much like its namesake, can be a bit temperamental. I've had great rides and lousy rides on that coaster (Kumba is more consistently good).

When I rode I had a really rough ride but I could tell the ride had the ability to kick arse on a good day. I imagine when it first opened it was a really great ride. Orlando just has a ridiculous amount of seriously good B&M coasters! I just hope the parks don't decide to buy a new crappy one.

I've never had a remotely rough ride on any B&M I've ever ridden, including 200+ laps on hulk and another 50-100 on Kumba. I'm out of this loop.

I will say, Hulk has been running every day (minus rehabs) since 1999, with constant 3 train operation. It has a ridiculous amount of wear on it for a coaster of the type I'm sure. There are strong rumors that the entire ride is getting a re-track very very soon.

There are strong rumors that the entire ride is getting a re-track very very soon.

You're saying Uni is going to spend $10-$20 million on a 16 year old ride? Do you know how wear on wood vs. wear on steel works?

Ummmm unless something has seriously gone wrong in the fabrication way back when or the steel/welds are that badly cracked to compromise the integrity of the ride, I HIGHLY doubt a re-track would eliminate the vibrating or slightly bumpy undertone of Hulk. An entire re-track of a steel coaster would be so astronomically expensive that it would simply make more financial sense in the long run to start at square one again. I would love to know the exact source and credibility of that rumor.

Those metal detectors are the worst idea in my opinion. I still love USO/IOA, but that new policy is just asinine.

There are strong rumors that the entire ride is getting a re-track very very soon.

You're saying Uni is going to spend $10-$20 million on a 16 year old ride? Do you know how wear on wood vs. wear on steel works?

Do you know or understand what fatigue is?

Hulk

Five Year Paint Intervals

Being brought into 21st century in terms of ride operating and safety systems in the future.

Any track work would not be necessary unless they found a hairline crack in the coasters track or supports. But if that was the case the ride would be shut down immediately and not reopened until fixed and several thousand hours of testing to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Do you know or understand what fatigue is?

You don't re-track a steel coaster. If there is fatigue, they simply weld...

I agree, in any park throughout the world has there ever been a steel coaster re-tracked?

I don't think so.

The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach recently had a few sections of track replaced but I don't think a steel coaster has ever been entirely re tracked as it would most likely be more cost effective in the long run to just buy a new ride.

^Yes--new track was fabricated for Raging Spirits and was installed in two phases over two years. But this is hardly a "standard" practice.

In a sense, as Craig said, TDS did "buy a new ride."

Edited by cfc

^Yes--new track was fabricated for Raging Spirits and was installed in two phases over two years. But this is hardly a "standard" practice.

In a sense, as Craig said, TDS did "buy a new ride."

Sorry if my post was mis-understood, I was more pointing out that it had happened before when the other poster was asking if there had ever been a steel coaster re-tracked. I didn't mean to imply that it was common practice or that I think the Hulk will get a complete re-track, because I really don't think that.

^Yes, I think that's correct.

And what's the common denomionator? Disney.

haha, yes Disney does seem to be the only park that replaces entire tracks but as it was said they're basically buying a new ride. Also some of Disney's rides are pushing 40+ years of operation. The Hulk 16 years of operation, it doesn't quite make sense to replace the track just yet.