TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^Honestly, that's a terrible idea. The majority of theme park guests won't be able to figure out the whole point of the show is to be terrible and will actually think it is terrible.

Its not a serious idea. Sharknado was listed as a possible show in a survey sent out to passholders asking them which show idea they liked best. The original poster HAPPENED to get Sharknado as an option, but the surveys are different. Some surveys don't even have Sharknado listed. It's an outlier.

"A way out here, they got a name for wind and rain and fire. The rain is Tess, the fire Joe, and they call the wind Sharknado . . ."

Yes, this is why I don't write musicals for Broadway.

If it's in a survey...it's NOT an outlier. Likely to really be a show? Probably not. But I am sure the marketing department had a reason to include it.

Well, it kind of is if it's not in 100% of the surveys. Each survey had a few "joke" options so that if the people filling out the survey didn't care for the shows that Universal really was considering, then those shows wouldn't get a vote, rather than get a vote that means "ah what the hell it's the best of a bad situation". I dont know if that makes sense....but essentially an option like "Sharknado" is there just so people who actually want a Sharknado show (God bless em) don't end up falsely upping the votes for a serious contender.

If it's in a survey...it's NOT an outlier. Likely to really be a show? Probably not. But I am sure the marketing department had a reason to include it.

Well, it kind of is if it's not in 100% of the surveys. Each survey had a few "joke" options so that if the people filling out the survey didn't care for the shows that Universal really was considering, then those shows wouldn't get a vote, rather than get a vote that means "ah what the hell it's the best of a bad situation". I dont know if that makes sense....but essentially an option like "Sharknado" is there just so people who actually want a Sharknado show (God bless em) don't end up falsely upping the votes for a serious contender.

They could haven chosen anything to be the "joke," yet chose Sharknado. Perhaps it only showed up on certain surveys because they wanted to see how a certain demographic would react to Sharknado?

I'm not saying it will be a show...but I suspect the survey is there to gauge interest for SOMETHING sharknado related. Could be a simple as seeing if merchandise would sell well in the park, a potential photo op, maybe even something for HHN.

I think this is what is going on the current JP arch. And more than likely the reason that construction is going on by the JP area is for JW. Who knows though, it could be for the King Kong ride.

It is definitely for the Kong ride. Jurassic Park isn't being rebranded as Jurassic World at this time.

I think this is what is going on the current JP arch. And more than likely the reason that construction is going on by the JP area is for JW. Who knows though, it could be for the King Kong ride.

It is definitely for the Kong ride. Jurassic Park isn't being rebranded as Jurassic World at this time.

That's kind of good, I think the arch should still Say Jurassic Park. As that is the original name for the first three movies. But, I'm sure the JP area will get something for the 2015 season along side the movie.

i am going to orlando this january (12-19) with my girlfriend and some friends who have 3 kids 4,6,9 yr.

my girlfriend and i would like to go to universal islands and wonder if there is much to do for the younger kids.

I prefer the islands side if i had to pick only one because i would like hulk, duelling dragons (maybe hyppogryph) i can't really see springing for both parks in one day. my girlfriend is less a coaster fan and more of a harry potter fan.

any advice?

( i also wan't to go to seaworld for kraken, but don't know if i can justify the price for just one coaster?)

IOA has Seuss Landing, which is a nice kids area with a decent amount of stuff for them. Plus, you have the Hippogriff coaster. If your girlfriend is a Potter fan, I would think you'd want to do both parks. Plus, there's another nice kids area in the Studios park.

SeaWorld is much more than Kraken. Manta and Journey to Atlantis are both great coasters that are well worth your time. If you see all of the animal exhibits and maybe a show or two, you'll definitely get your money's worth.

Is the general consensus that Rip Ride Rockit that it's not a good coaster? I made my first visit to the resort yesterday and it ended up being my favorite coaster attraction on the entire property though a lot of my friends were kind of indifferent toward it.

My daughter (20yo) loves it. I think that the twisted loop is kind of cool but, overall, it's just an OK/sort of good coaster to me. Nothing particularly amazing about it other than that twisted loop.

I loved my ride on HRRR back in 2011. It's smooth enough (nothing unbearable), has quite an unusual and different layout, pops of air on each MCBR and some great drops. I remember the last helix to be surprisingly intense too.

Though it's been a while, and since then I rode a load more of coaster.

Thanks for the help.

It turns out our friends with the kids will go to seaworld while we go to universal. their kids haven't read harry potter yet or got into marvel, and they wanted something more for the little ones. (plus they found a buy one get one free seaworld discount). wow, park admissions are expensive down there. For a family of 5 with kids $95- $135 a day is a bit pricey.

So it will just be my girlfriend and i going to universal.

If your girlfriend is a Potter fan, I would think you'd want to do both parks.

I am assuming it will be quiet in mid january. is it reasonable to do both sides in one day?

Our priority would be: potter/ coasters (hulk, duelling dragons, hippogryph, gringotts, potterTrain, ripRideRocket)

$135x2 is a lot, but we aren't going to get to florida very often.... (and i did just make a trip to munich with the sole purpose of riding olympia looping)

^you can most definitely do both parks in one day in January. Just get there at park opening and start out at Diagon Alley in Universal Studios. You will have enough time to do your priorities and then some. If youre only gonna be in Orlando once in the next few years, I'd say it's worth it to go all out and do both parks.

^No. Not a lick of it. Mummy has a nice pop at the top of the launch and HRRR has some in the pop-up into the brake sections.

Thanks for the help.

It turns out our friends with the kids will go to seaworld while we go to universal. their kids haven't read harry potter yet or got into marvel, and they wanted something more for the little ones. (plus they found a buy one get one free seaworld discount). wow, park admissions are expensive down there. For a family of 5 with kids $95- $135 a day is a bit pricey.

So it will just be my girlfriend and i going to universal.

If your girlfriend is a Potter fan, I would think you'd want to do both parks.

I am assuming it will be quiet in mid january. is it reasonable to do both sides in one day?

Our priority would be: potter/ coasters (hulk, duelling dragons, hippogryph, gringotts, potterTrain, ripRideRocket)

$135x2 is a lot, but we aren't going to get to florida very often.... (and i did just make a trip to munich with the sole purpose of riding olympia looping)

Sending the Kids to Seaworld is a solid idea, Universal has great playgrounds and enough to do for children but if they don't get Potter then that cuts out a big chunk of it.

In mid-January you will have no issue whatsoever doing every major attraction you want to do. Unless you have Hotel early access or really want the Pteradon Flyers Credit, I recommend starting at Studios park opening with Despicable Me, Rip Ride-Rockit, Transformers, Mummy, then hopping over to Islands of Adventure via Hogwarts Express to do Forbidden Journey, Hippogryph/Shops, JP River Adventure (not terribly wet), Skip Toon Lagoon (very wet for January), Spiderman, Hulk, Cat in the Hat, then Ride Dueling Dragons and eat lunch in Lost Continent/Three Broomsticks/Leaky Cauldron. Hop back over on HExpress, check the time, and do the soon-departing Disaster Ride(a bit longer timewise though), Diagon Alley, Men in Black, Simpsons Ride, E.T Woody Woodpecker, and if you have time the Horror Make-Up Show or Terminator. And then in one day you've done all of universal, and at swift pace this itinerary is doable (I would expect every single line on this list to be 5-10 minutes in the order listed, except for Gringott's. It's not like Disney World at all.). And of course you can skip a lot that you're not interested in to spend more time exploring Diagon/theming anywhere or go in a different order. I just find this the most efficient way to do a ride-based itinerary, mostly because it gets three longer lines in Despicable/HRRR/Transformers out of the way immediately, you are near the better restaurants around midday, and you end up doing only one loop around each park.

Edited by BlahBlahson

Gringotts has a great coaster element to start but it's really an immersive 3D experience that together with Forbidden Journey are two of the most technologically advanced themepark rides you can go on today. I can spend three hours just wondering around Diagon Alley and exploring its nooks & crannies so if that interests you be prepared to spend more time there than Blah suggests. I also think the food is better at the Leaky Cauldon in Diagon Alley. Be sure to grab some Butterbeer soft serve ice cream at Florian Fortescue's. You also do not need to pay for an Express Pass in January. The Mummy ride has airtime btw