TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Universal was "teasing" at an announcement over the last couple of days, but it looks like it's just this...

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT AND WARNER BROS. TO HOST SECOND ANNUAL “A CELEBRATION OF HARRY POTTER” EVENT IN JANUARY 2015

Official Site: https://www.universalorlando.com/celebration

“A Celebration of Harry Potter” will Feature Incredible Experiences at Both Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Florida Jan. 30 – Feb. 1

Vacation Packages with Exclusive Benefits, Including Exclusive Q&A Sessions with Harry Potter Film Talent, Go on Sale Thursday, August 21 at Noon EST

Orlando, Fla. (August 14, 2014) – Universal Orlando Resort and Warner Bros. announced today that they will host the second annual “A Celebration of Harry Potter” event – a special event for fans celebrating the global phenomenon that is Harry Potter.

Beginning January 30, 2015, fans will enjoy three days of incredible experiences – including the “A Celebration of Harry Potter” Expo, Q&A sessions with Harry Potter film talent and more. Special vacation packages, including annual passholder packages, will go on sale August 21 and will include exclusive benefits such as access to an exclusive evening event in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade and the all-new The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley. Full vacation package details are below.

All general admission park guests will have the opportunity to:

· ~ Attend Q&A sessions with Harry Potter film talent and other special guests (talent attendees will be announced at a later date)

· ~ Experience and participate in the interactive and unique exhibits of the “A Celebration of Harry Potter” Expo

· ~ Enjoy special discussions regarding various aspects of the Harry Potter franchise

· ~ Visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida. Plus, ride the Hogwarts Express between the two lands with a park-to-park ticket.

· ~ And much more!

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley officially opened in Universal Studios Florida on July 8, 2014 bringing even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life at Universal Orlando Resort. The new land features incredible shops with windows full of magical surprises, authentic dining experiences, a fire-breathing dragon and the new multi-dimensional thrill ride, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts. Guests with a park-to-park ticket will also be able to board the iconic Hogwarts Express and enjoy a unique journey as they travel between London and Hogsmeade. The new immersive area expands upon The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade, launched in 2010 in Universal’s Islands of Adventure, and doubles the size of the sweeping area already dedicated to Harry Potter’s adventures to create a spectacularly themed environment across both Universal theme parks.

While most of the activities for “A Celebration of Harry Potter” will be open to all Universal Orlando park guests and annual passholders, only guests who purchase the exclusive event vacation package or annual passholder package will enjoy certain special benefits and reserved seating for select events. Packages are limited and will go on sale at noon EST on Thursday, August 21, 2014. See below for full package details.

1638053624_CoHPReleaseArtwork.thumb.jpg.6c253c056681164eb6495910975c69d2.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

http://prevuemeetings.com/resources/news/renovations/universal-orlando-will-soon-attract-larger-meetings/

Universal Orlando Resort will soon offer corporate event planners more meeting space. The 1,000-room Loews Royal Pacific Resort is undergoing the largest meeting space expansion in Universal Orlando history. Already the largest meeting hotel at Universal Orlando—with 85,000 sf of space—Loews will offer 141,330 sf of meeting space by fall 2015.

The addition will connect to the existing meeting space, playing on the hotel’s design theme inspired by the South Pacific. The hotel, for instance, features an open-air orchid garden and hand carvings flown in from Bali. The new space will include an almost 36,000-sf ballroom (divisible by 12), as well as breakout rooms and prefunction space.

“Our expansion responds to the tremendous demand we have received from larger groups,” says Larry Beiderman, managing director of Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando. “Meeting planners have a lot to look forward to as we expand, and they will continue to benefit from our culinary team, along with the exciting outdoor event space we offer.”

One of those outdoor spaces is the 3,375-sf outdoor Wantilan Luau Pavilion, complete with a central fountain that features elephants, colorful flowers and palm trees. Meeting planners can even plan for the group to participate in a traditional luau. The hotel hosts one weekly, complete with Polynesian food, live Hawaiian music and traditional hula and fire dancing.

The Loews addition is the latest in a series of new group offerings at the Universal Orlando Resort to open in the past year. Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort opened earlier this year, as well as the expansion of Universal CityWalk and the The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley attraction. In fact, for those meeting attendees interested, the hotel offers guests theme park benefits such as early park admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley at Universal Studios Florida. For attendees in a hurry, they can also get complimentary Universal Express Unlimited ride access, which allows them to skip the regular lines all day in both Universal Orlando theme parks.

“This is such an exciting time to plan an event at Universal Orlando, as we grow the universe of options throughout our resort,” says Kathy Cattoor, vice president of resort sales for Universal Orlando.

image.jpg.38901ad1434b36cadbad14a5ef576216.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Based on recent permits it is believed that a new resort will be built adjacent to the Loew's Royal Pacific Resort with the new property sharing linked convention space with Royal Pacific. The only thing confirmed at this point is the expanded convention space.

Yes, Orlandoguy, my family had a FANTASTIC trip to Orlando, Disney and Universal . . . the Unlimited Park-to-park Fast Pass is absolutely necessary to see both parks in one day. We really had to keep moving and only had time for Rip Ride and Hulk for repeat rides but those rides alone make the unlimited fast pass worth it. I'm sure Florida residents don't buy a fast pass every time as we don't buy a fast pass for Canada's Wonderland, however, when you renew for a 2015 Canada's Wonderland season pass, they are including one Fast Pass to try this year . . . my family were spoiled using fast pass at Disney and Universal and now we are excited to be treated with a free fast pass at our own park! Does Universal offer a free Fast Pass to Florida resident Season Pass holders?

I have not been in Disaster or Twister in YEARS mainly due to the pre-shows. If you could just go right into the attraction, I'd do it, but the pre-shows just take soooooo long! It's not like Tower of Terror where you're in and out in 90 seconds, I feel like these pre-shows add so much time to the attraction, and after you've seen them once, you don't ever need to see them again.

It's a shame, because I actually do like the core attraction of each ride, but not enough to stand around for 10-15 minutes watching something I have no interest in.

Agreed. The Disaster pre-show should be titled "Watch Christopher Walken Pull a Paycheck." As for Twister, who doesn't like the "flying cow"?

I have not been in Disaster or Twister in YEARS mainly due to the pre-shows. If you could just go right into the attraction, I'd do it, but the pre-shows just take soooooo long! It's not like Tower of Terror where you're in and out in 90 seconds, I feel like these pre-shows add so much time to the attraction, and after you've seen them once, you don't ever need to see them again.

It's a shame, because I actually do like the core attraction of each ride, but not enough to stand around for 10-15 minutes watching something I have no interest in.

Agreed. The Disaster pre-show should be titled "Watch Christopher Walken Pull a Paycheck." As for Twister, who doesn't like the "flying cow"?

I feel the same exact way! When I went to ride Disaster on my last visit to Universal, I forgot how long the whole entire pre-show is and a lot of it is drawn out. As for Twister...you wait outside to go inside. You go inside to Pre-show #1. Then onto Pre-Show #2. Then onto the actual fun of the ride about 15 minutes later. A lot of it can be cut back. Put all into one Pre-show and then continue it.

^ I understand your complaints, but you need to look at it from the perspective of the park, not as a repeat guest. Universal designed those rides to pump people through in large groups. For the main show being as large and long as it is, it would be very inconvenient for people to be stuck outdoors in the hot Florida summer longer thn they need to. Therefore they do the multiple preshows to get people indoors. And yes, I'm aware that they could enclose the queue areas, but would you rather stand in a line in the air conditioning or be somewhat entertained while in line with a preshow?

Remember, Universal Orlando, just like all of the Orlando parks, thrive mostly from tourists. Their market isn't toward the people that will visit multiple times in one year, it's to the people who will visit once every few years or longer. If you haven't been to Universal in five years you wouldn't think the preshows are as annoying than when you visit constantly.

Universal made the Back To The Future films.

Back To The Future: Part 2 had Jaws 19 as a hologram.

Universal Orlando has hologram technology (Disaster).

There is only one thing Twister should be re-themed to: Sharknado

There is only one thing Twister should be re-themed to: Sharknado

The real WDW killer.

If universal were to do this, disney staff would immediatly have all money in their pockets fly out and land in universal staff's pockets, and the disney headquarters would soon collapse, along with all their parks, as slowly, the multimillion dollar corporation went bankrupt from the sheer power of the sharknado.

You cannot tell me that turning Twister into Sharknado would not create Pottertown-sized crowds. Especially if they give Bill Paxton a part in Sharknado 3.

I have no idea why they're not hiring me and Elissa as a consultants for this. They're sitting on a goldmine.

dt

Universal held the theme park rights for Star Trek at one point. It was an attraction at USH. *IF* that's the route they wanted to go, I don't think it would be "huge money." Having a theme park attraction is advertising no amount of money can buy, so it would be equally beneficial for Paramount to allow Universal to build a Star Trek attraction for a smaller fee (actors/producer residuals) just to get the exposure.

Universal held the theme park rights for Star Trek at one point. It was an attraction at USH. *IF* that's the route they wanted to go, I don't think it would be "huge money." Having a theme park attraction is advertising no amount of money can buy, so it would be equally beneficial for Paramount to allow Universal to build a Star Trek attraction for a smaller fee (actors/producer residuals) just to get the exposure.

Not really...Universal sees a huge benefit in increased crowds, but Star Trek currently has nothing to advertise. Not to mention a theme park attraction and a movie have to attract different crowds to be considered successful; Universal would need to bring in families on vacation, a PG-13 studio movie needs to attract the 18-24 demographic in every place possible (not just people wealthy enough to take major vacations).

The true benefit studios see in licensing their film properties is royalties from merchandise I would think...but is Star Trek really a merchandise machine? A Star Trek attraction would benefit Universal a heck of a lot more than Paramount if you ask me, and Im guessing the amount of money Universal would have to pay for it (to make sure Paramount feels like theyre getting a deal) would offset any benefit Universal would gain from such an expansion. I could be wrong, but I dont see Star Trek happening anytime soon, unless some big revival happens that exceeds the hype its been receiving from the Abrams films.

For some reason I just noticed this, but the official name of the Walking Dead house for this year's HHN is "Walking Dead: End of the Line". Now this could mean nothing, but for some reason my mind automatically assumed this tagline meant the end of the Walking Dead houses. If you look at each house so far as a chapter in an overarching story (which is essentially what a TV series is, and therefore what a string of houses based on a TV series would be), then this third house titled "The End of the Line" would make for the perfect 'conclusion', if you will. Maybe Im oveethinking it, but the subtitle has to have some significance, and I think this may just be it.

^The contract for usage of The Walking Dead franchise was for three years, and this is the third year they are featuring that franchise. Next year there will be no Walking Dead.

I've heard rumors that it's actually in a soundstage and not back at the parade float building, but I don't know if that's true. If it's in the same spot as last year's Cabin in the Woods, we could see some record queue lengths for that one.

For some reason I just noticed this, but the official name of the Walking Dead house for this year's HHN is "Walking Dead: End of the Line". Now this could mean nothing, but for some reason my mind automatically assumed this tagline meant the end of the Walking Dead houses. If you look at each house so far as a chapter in an overarching story (which is essentially what a TV series is, and therefore what a string of houses based on a TV series would be), then this third house titled "The End of the Line" would make for the perfect 'conclusion', if you will. Maybe Im oveethinking it, but the subtitle has to have some significance, and I think this may just be it.

I'm assuming you don't watch the show, but "The End of the Line" is referring to the show's characters following railroad tracks to Terminus (so called safe haven for survivors) aka the end of the line. This is where the season ended and where season 5 will begin so you're probably overthinking it. Although I could see this being the last Walking Dead house regardless but who knows how long HHN will keep it going if it remains a huge hit on tv and at the parks this October.

^It definitely is in a soundstage although I'm not sure which one, it is going to be the largest maze in HHN history though.