TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

This is a discussion I've gotten into up here in Canada, and I will not give an opinion specifically about Gringotts, as I still have to wait a few days until I get there . . . I'm just saying, in my opinion, and my experience here in Canada with a very similar physical 'high-tech' ride . . . that there are always going to be technical issues with these rides. Gringotts has been open for less than a week and everyone thinks the technical problems will just one day suddenly dissapear . . . Guardian has had nothing but technical issues since it has opened . . . this is just my opinion and I know the concept is amazing, but technically speaking, these rides will be very difficult to maintain . . . at least Gringotts doesn't have video issues or laser guns not working . . .

^It's always a challenge to build a operate an innovative new ride system. But if no one tried, we'd get nothing but the same old stuff at the parks year after year. I give Cedar Fair a lot of credit for stepping closer to Universal/Disney territory.

Gringotts is something new and different, and I'm always in favor of parks giving something new a shot.

Edited by cfc

^^Apples and Oranges. Universal has the resources to ensure things get better. Rockit is a perfect example---it's still FAR from reliable, but has seen significant improvements in downtime since it opened.

The reality of any ride is that you can design the perfect ride on paper in CAD and write the perfect program, but you won't truly learn how to maintain and operate the ride until it's open for guests. Technicians gain experience and figure out new ways to troubleshoot and improve processes that were never thought of during the design and testing phase because the focus at that point is just getting the ride open, not how to fix it.

Also, when I went Gringotts had both stations running and there was a very small break down in which I happened to be in the ride to break down.

THAT is fantastic to hear. I attended opening, thursday, friday so It's great to see that on Saturday two stations began. This will increase throughput dramatically, the ride is actually well designed for capacity but was bad for the first couple of days.

This is a discussion I've gotten into up here in Canada, and I will not give an opinion specifically about Gringotts, as I still have to wait a few days until I get there . . . I'm just saying, in my opinion, and my experience here in Canada with a very similar physical 'high-tech' ride . . . that there are always going to be technical issues with these rides. Gringotts has been open for less than a week and everyone thinks the technical problems will just one day suddenly dissapear . . . Guardian has had nothing but technical issues since it has opened . . . this is just my opinion and I know the concept is amazing, but technically speaking, these rides will be very difficult to maintain . . . at least Gringotts doesn't have video issues or laser guns not working . . .

True, there will always be some technical problems from time to time, but Gringotts will become a lot more reliable down the road. I'm sure they were saying the same thing when Spider-Man first opened and now it's as reliable as any ride or coaster in either park. It just takes time.

Nothing recently, just the Jurassic Park arch coming down on the Toon Lagoon end. Most likely to move it back for the rumored Kongstruction site and future mini island. I would guess at least a couple years away if Kong is definitely moving back in 2015.

I think i found a picture of the layout for Gringotts. Can someone that`s been on the ride confirm this?

Thats blue prints for the internal queue, train barn, entire ride, exit pathways, lockers, on ride photo, and part of Wiseacres the exit gift shop.

^I think it will. It's very low capacity (I'm hearing less than 300pph right now) and it's the only ride in the new area (train doesn't count!). You're going to wait a LONG time if you want to ride this anytime soon.

The team is currently averaging around 90 seconds per dispatch. Brings it to almost 1000 PPH.

^I must have caught a very efficient bank this past Saturday. Both stations were running and dispatch was definitely not 90 seconds. It was a lot shorter. I guess the goblins were on point this past Saturday! They probably didn't have as much Butterbeer Ice Cream lol

Anyway, HAPPY 1 WEEK Anniversary to DIAGON ALLEY!

^ Thanks. I know that some people have been wondering about this.

For those that have ridden Gringotts, is the regular line "experience" worth going through one time? We are going in a week and a half (always arrive about an hour early with tickets in hand), but don't have early park access. It sounds like when they open the park, the wait is around 2 hours already. We will be at USO for 2/3 of the first day, and then a full day after that. Is it worth sitting in the full line to get the whole experience on the first day, and then just going to the single rider line the next day? Or should we just skip the full line and hit single rider both days? We do have 1 Harry Potter nut in our family, but she also understands the practicality of things too and if the full queue experience is just "meh" then we will hit single rider from the start.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

Oh I don't know if anybody has done the stand-by queue when it rains but it doesn't have the best drainage system.

That's because it's always damp and rainy in England. Rain = Theming.

But I kid our friends in the UK.

^ Thanks. I know that some people have been wondering about this.

For those that have ridden Gringotts, is the regular line "experience" worth going through one time? We are going in a week and a half (always arrive about an hour early with tickets in hand), but don't have early park access. It sounds like when they open the park, the wait is around 2 hours already. We will be at USO for 2/3 of the first day, and then a full day after that. Is it worth sitting in the full line to get the whole experience on the first day, and then just going to the single rider line the next day? Or should we just skip the full line and hit single rider both days? We do have 1 Harry Potter nut in our family, but she also understands the practicality of things too and if the full queue experience is just "meh" then we will hit single rider from the start.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.

You do miss quite a lot in the single rider line. If you have a nut, you're best to at least do it once in the real queue.

Here's a video that shows off the "coaster section" of the ride pretty well. It's at :44 and it lasts 8 seconds. There is another short coaster section later on in the ride, at 3:36, that it's questionable because it's mostly powered through that section, but technically I guess it could do some "coasting." The rest of the "fast" sections, you can see the drive tires moving the vehicle along.

It's a hard call for me. While I don't think I would argue against anyone that wants to put it on their "coaster list", the ride certainly *feels* much more like a "dark ride" than it does a "roller coaster." To me, Gringotts feels like "Spider-man with some faster sections" rather than it being more like "Mummy with more video screens."

Anyway, take a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4eQNVx2Wk

**NOTE** I know these guys took this video without permission and cameras on not allowed on the ride. I normally would NOT be posting this video, but the fact that the coaster section has come up in conversation so much and this is the only example I can find to reference it is the ONLY reason why I would post this. I do not condone someone sneaking a camera on the ride to make a POV video.