TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Space and crowding was always my biggest complaint about Wizarding World at IOA--sure, it looks great, but it's hell to navigate.

QFT! If it wern't for the early entry, I would have avoided that area entirely after I got my forbidden Journey credit. We got the 3 day on property deal, went and spent the first 1-2 hours in Potterland, then avoided that area of the park like the plaque the rest of all three days.

The "one-way once a day" will be a blessing and a curse. It should reduce the line which will be nice, but our family of 5 was going to just have 2 people get park-to-park tickets so that my 15 year old Harry Potter fan and one adult could ride the train from one park and back while the rest of the family did other rides. If the "one-way once a day" thing is real, then all 5 of us need park-to-park tickets and for 2 days and at that point (since we are going for 3 days) we will end up with 5 people with 3-day park-to-park tickets. That is an extra $110 for the other three to have park-to-park for something that they don't care to do.

That's the curse part.

Bummer.

I guess that the 2 of us could exit the park and walk around to the other... For $110 it might be worth it.

Edited by nickbuol

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us a press release regarding the return of AMC's The Walking a Dead to Halloween Horror Nights 24 for its third year in a row!

image.thumb.jpg.3d689da9396d1b7434fe666910d4eca2.jpg

After rave reviews from fans, Universal Orlando Resort is bringing back AMC’s “The Walking Dead” to Halloween Horror Nights for an unprecedented third consecutive year. Horror-hungry fans will experience an all-new terrifying maze inspired by Season 4 of the critically-acclaimed, Emmy Award®-winning television series.

This year’s bone-chilling maze will place guests at the heart of a harrowing journey to seek sanctuary at Terminus, an elusive destination that promises community for all. Mirroring the terror that befell the residents of the West Georgia Correctional Facility, now overrun by savage walkers, the experience will send guests fleeing from the fallen prison into unknown territory as they once again stage a desperate battle for survival against flesh-eating walkers and ruthless humans.

“The Walking Dead” is based on the graphic novel written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The series tells the story of the months and years after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by sheriff Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home. “The Walking Dead” is the number-one show on television for adults 18-49. AMC’s “The Walking Dead” returns for Season 5 this October.

“This has been an incredible collaboration and I am thrilled to be working once again with the creative teams at Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood to bring the world of ‘The Walking Dead’ to our dedicated fans,” said Greg Nicotero, Executive Producer and Special Effect Makeup Supervisor for the series. “I can’t wait for visitors to experience first-hand some of the iconic moments from Season 4 in what will be the biggest, most exciting and frightening ‘Walking Dead’ maze to date.”

Universal Orlando's maze will be the largest maze ever created at Halloween Horror Nights. It is literally double the experience and will feature more scareactors in one single haunted house than ever before. Guests will encounter iconic scenes from Season 4 of the hit show – beginning at the prison, fans will enter the cell block where the infection began, escape into the massive Big Spot location with a crashed helicopter ripping through its ceiling and journey to the dilapidated country club overrun with walkers. These and other incredibly immersive environments culminate to the maze’s finale taking you to the End of the Line – Terminus. This year’s maze will be an entirely new experience, featuring never-before–seen walkers and brand new scares.

“Bringing a horror property back for a third year in a row is always a decision that is carefully considered. Fortunately, The Walking Dead is unlike any horror brand around. Its appeal spreads across so many types of viewers. Hardcore and casual horror fans alike are watching week after week, and season 4 offered many new and unique environments and walkers,” said Michael Aiello, Creative Development Director for Universal Orlando’s Entertainment team. “This year, we are taking this partnership to the next level, with a monstrous soundstage maze and a scope that is bigger and badder than anything we’ve ever done in the history of our event."

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” events have a more than 20-year history of creating incredibly entertaining, horrifying Halloween experiences that are consistently rated the nation’s best. The event features highly-themed, disturbingly real, haunted mazes based on everything from films to nightmares – and streets filled with hundreds of specially trained “scareactors.”

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/rides.html

The Rides

The evil genius of hosting the nation’s premier Halloween event inside Universal Studios Florida® is that if you survive the monsters and mayhem, you’ll make it to the rides! Climb aboard. Buckle up. Hang on tight and get ready, because we hand picked these thrilling beasts to top off your terror with some of our favorite screams.

TRANSFORMERS: THE RIDE-3D

Prepare for the greatest battle you’ll ever ride! The new TRANSFORMERS: The Ride–3D is an ultra-immersive, next generation thrill ride that blurs the line between fiction and reality!.

HOLLYWOOD RIP RIDE ROCKIT®

Adrenaline pumping and music thumping, you’ll start climbing straight up. A moment later, you'll be screaming at 65 mph, 17 stories over Universal Studios®.

REVENGE OF THE MUMMY®

You'll plunge in total darkness, plagued by fireballs, swarms of beetles and an army of mummies on this roller coaster unlike anything that's come before it.

MEN IN BLACK™ ALIEN ATTACK™

Board your training vehicle and take aim at "the scum of the universe" who have escaped from their intergalactic prison transport.

DESPICABLE ME MINION MAYHEM

Join Gru, his daughters, and the mischievous Minions on a heartwarming and hilarious 3-D ride where you’re recruited as a Minion for Gru’s latest scheme.

THE SIMPSONS RIDE™

Ride along with The Simpsons™ as they visit Krustyland, the theme park created by famed TV personality Krusty the Clown. Is somebody out to sabotage the park? You'll find out as you join Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie and enter through the carnival-like midway.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ — Diagon Alley™ will not be open during this event.

image.jpg.8187266a7ad386baa248c1194846075d.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.213a269745c2177e2c48d524b5c8d966.jpg

image.jpg.6d4afeb4ecc3eedc3428d3803c31a001.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

^Hmm--let's see: The Harry Potter series involves wizards, giant spiders and other monsters, ghosts, guys called "Deatheaters," and an all-powerful villain who looks a lot like the Bat Boy.

Yes, it should be clear to anyone that this has nothing to do with Halloween.

^Hmm--let's see: The Harry Potter series involves wizards, giant spiders and other monsters, ghosts, guys called "Deatheaters," and an all-powerful villain who looks a lot like the Bat Boy.

Its JK Rowling's doing. The first time Universal courted her, they took her to an HHN event...only to be greeted by someone puking right before them. JK Rowling isnt a fan of the event or its party-like atmosphere, and Im sure she will never sign off on having her baby used for HHN.

Its JK Rowling's doing. The first time Universal courted her, they took her to an HHN event...only to be greeted by someone puking right before them. JK Rowling isnt a fan of the event or its party-like atmosphere, and Im sure she will never sign off on having her baby used for HHN.

So I understand. But this is going to close off a sizable portion of the park for Horror Night. I wonder how Universal will cope with the crowds. I find it ironic that JK Rowling's dislike of the "party-like atmosphere" at HHN could actually make the situation worse.

Edited by cfc

I figured they would just close off the area to the event or people could only get in via the Hogwarts Express. Seems a bit odd they'd close off their newest area and moneymaker every weekend after 5 for almost 2 months.

So I understand. But this is going to close off a sizable portion of the park for Horror Night. I wonder how Universal will cope with the crowds. I find it ironic that JK Rowling's dislike of the "party-like atmosphere" at HHN could actually make the situation worse.

Yeah I hear you. But its really not that big a chunk of land theyre closing off. In the past, the space occupied by Diagon has been construction (for the last two years) or a humongous attraction that people couldnt walk through and whos capacity has been made up for by Transformers. So I dont think itll be a crowding issue, and with the London waterfront now open it will be less of a dead zone than the previous two years. True, its a pretty big waste of potential revenue to have a widely-attended event miss out on a brand new area that brings in gobs of money but Jk Rowling has Universal by the cahones. Also, HHN's audience isnt really there to ride Harry Potter rides, and even then they can just as easily do so before the event starts with less crowding.

People are currently lined up outside of the King's Cross Station based on a rumor that the Hogwarts Express will soft open tonight... (My friend is there right now sending me the photos.)

image.thumb.jpg.f9fda2ed807939a2f80a8c71f74fa12c.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1f5d606cd9b781319bd9ced11957b887.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.bcbb239b40e7e548b3a83cbd4227d633.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.08bb7a9af48f793e12f914d867c99c43.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Check out these videos of the new Diagon Alley,

Some of the cast of Harry potter getting a sneak preview inside diagon alley, it looks awesome!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/tdLvGNjtpPs[/youtu_be]

Animatronic Kreacher house elf peeks from Diagon Alley window at Universal Orlando

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

So the pathways in Diagon Alley do not look quite as narrow as I expected, but is that really how wide the entrance to it is??? I knew they wanted to make it realistic to the book, but that is quite a choke point! And I am not talking about the brick archway effect, I am talking about the opening behind them in this photo:

1881295748_ScreenShot2014-06-10at6_16_21PM.png.b096ace15feb4617c725b7b609294b9d.png

Edited by ernierocker

So the pathways in Diagon Alley do not look quite as narrow as I expected, but is that really how wide the entrance to it is??? I knew they wanted to make it realistic to the book, but that is quite a choke point! And I am not talking about the brick archway effect, I am talking about the opening behind them in this photo:

I think there are two opening like this, in each side of the wall. Coming from London, they took the left one and there's another one to the right.

Is anyone here can confirm the Hogwart Express was designed by Doppelmayr?

Those videos look great. We'll absolutely be heading back to Orlando next year specifically for this... usually we go on vacation to a new place each year but since Harry Potter 1 was so awesome we're not going to miss out on Harry Potter 2. I should just give Universal my credit card, debit card and pin number to save everyone time.