TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^Personally, I think both this and the Disney value resorts are tacky---by design. Value hotels (A.K.A. motels) are tacky by design, and both companies do an excellent job re-creating that.

Thanks for the Incredible report.

Great info and photos.

Looks like a fun place.

Reminds me of Wildwood NJ, they have the original motels and resorts and are trying to spruce up what they call the Doo-Wop era and the Googie architecture of those bygone days.

I guess that was the hey day for alot of beach resorts of the day.

I hate to say I vaguely remember when stuff like this was "in style".

But it was mostly fading away being replaced with the 1970's modern groovy era.

Great to see it celebrated again.

As they say, everything old is new again.

(G*d do I sound OLD)

That does look awesome, I never really stayed on site at a Universal property but this looks like it might be worth staying at when I finally get around to checking out Harry Potter when they finally get around to finishing that this summer (I'm a few years behind everything Universal).

We drove by this while vacationing down there and thought that it looked like a really interesting place to stay. After checking out this report, I realize that it would be AWESOME to stay here!

Love the retro design...very unique!

The pool, lobby, food court, bowling alley all look great, but to be honest those accommodation buildings look like they sailed past "retro" and landed on "dated". The other half of the hotel that's opening later in the year does look better, though.

I guess my only complaint is that i don't like the rooms that much besides the bedroom. The kitchen doesn't look very nice to me. It was probably at some point considered nice, but i cant complain because it fits the theme, retro. Overall very well done even though its not my taste, the resort is spot on. Cant wait to see what universal will do next.

Looks pretty nice!! On a side note, having just stayed at Disney's Art of Animation, that "refillable cup" thing is the exact same price point as the Disney resorts. We were on a dining plan and got them free, but if we hadn't been, the prices were exactly the same as you showed there. Universal seems to be starting towards an "all-inclusive" area, very nice to see.

Looks like it'll be a nice addition to their hotels. I think it looks nice, but I don't like that theme too much. Also, it looks a lot like an airport to me for some reason. Still a good value addition to the resort.

It's nice for a value resort and I like the theme, but I do have to agree that in some places it feels more outdated than "retro" (for example, the old alarm clock). I do like the pool area and lobby a lot though.

I'm really digging this new hotel. The pictures have the feeling of 1960s Disneyland shots, Tomorrowland specifically. I think this place will age nicely too, I approve - and as of now, would rather stay here then at any of Disney's value resorts if it were on the Disney property.

The pool, lobby, food court, bowling alley all look great, but to be honest those accommodation buildings look like they sailed past "retro" and landed on "dated". The other half of the hotel that's opening later in the year does look better, though.

Totally agree. I do like retro things, but this just rubs me the wrong way.

Nice looking motel. Looks like it is right out of the 50's-60's. But to me it is a gimmick and I wonder if that retro feel will ware off. Probably not a place I would stay if I was with my family.

Was able to hit up Universal for a bit this morning. Took off when tons of teenagers starting swarming in, for Grad Bash tonight. Both parks close at 6PM....anyway onto Potter pics from today:

Full Post here: www.allaroundorlando.net/2014/04/photo-gallery-universal-studios-diagon.html

At IOA,

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing good reviews and yummy-looking pictures on here, we went to Antojitos for dinner while we were at CityWalk to play minigolf. It was awful! I don't know if it's gone downhill since it opened or it was just a bad night, but our food was bland, cold, and way overpriced. The duck tacos were a disaster. And I usually love both duck and tacos! Just a fair warning for anyone who is looking for a place to eat at Universal.

Hi everyone! I am going to be in Orlando for this August for the annual Zumba Instructor convention and I have 1 extra day that I am planning on spending at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I will be there Monday Aug 19th and I had a couple questions. Will I have enough time to ride all the major rides in that one day? should I get an Express Pass? I am a single rider which leads to my next question, do they have single rider lines? Are the rates the have online the best or do they have cheaper coupons in stores in town? Do you have any suggestions on a hotel near by? Im at the Hilton on I-Drive across from the convention centre, but my roomies are all heading back on the 17th so I will need to book a single room for the night. I don't know if The Hilton is close to the park or not since I've never been to Florida before. Any other general tips would be good to. I'm very excited to ride my first B&M

Hi everyone! I am going to be in Orlando for this August for the annual Zumba Instructor convention and I have 1 extra day that I am planning on spending at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. I will be there Monday Aug 19th and I had a couple questions. Will I have enough time to ride all the major rides in that one day? should I get an Express Pass? I am a single rider which leads to my next question, do they have single rider lines? Are the rates the have online the best or do they have cheaper coupons in stores in town? Do you have any suggestions on a hotel near by? Im at the Hilton on I-Drive across from the convention centre, but my roomies are all heading back on the 17th so I will need to book a single room for the night. I don't know if The Hilton is close to the park or not since I've never been to Florida before. Any other general tips would be good to. I'm very excited to ride my first B&M

August 19th is still "summer", so the park will be busy, especially with the HP expansion opening up. I would reccomend Express Pass unless the rides youre trying to hit is somewhat limited.

Hulk, Spider-Man, Dr Doom, Jurassic Park, Forbidden Journey, and possibly Dudley Do Right at IOA have single rider. They do sometimes close the single rider line if it becomes too long though, so this is not necessarily a guarantee.

Over at Universal, Mummy, HRRR, Transformers, Men in Black, and possibly the new Gringotts coaster have single rider (again, subject to availability).

While single rider lines help, its not as beneficial as Express Pass. Last summer when Transformers opened to 2 hr+ waits, single rider often took over an hour to get through. If you have a limited wishlist, then you *may* be able to get a full day's worth without Express, but to see all the major attractions it will be impossible without Express. Definitely make a point to do Spider-Man, Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, Mummy, Men in Black, Rip Ride Rockit, and Transformers!

As for hotels, check the Double Tree on Kirkman Road. Its literally right across the street from property and can sometimes have low rates. Hope this helps!