TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I really think this is an interesting precedent, to restrict an attraction to guests who have purchased a certain level of ticket. Obviously, their situation is unique (not a lot of other resorts have park proximity like this), but it'll be interesting to see how other parks react with future attractions.

I really think this is an interesting precedent, to restrict an attraction to guests who have purchased a certain level of ticket. Obviously, their situation is unique (not a lot of other resorts have park proximity like this), but it'll be interesting to see how other parks react with future attractions.

How is it any different from a guest needing a two-park ticket to ride the Toy Story attraction that's at Disneyland and the Toy Story attraction that's at California Adventure?

Edited by robbalvey

I love how they say this is a multi-dimensional and multi-sensory ride experience.

That is pretty much every ride in existence. If you move in more than one direction be it up, down, left or right, whammo, you've got yourself multi-dimensional ride. Do you see things and hear things or even feel the wind on your face on a ride, you guessed it... multi-sensory.

Seems like an odd marketing.

I also don't fully believe the two park ticket thing. Universal has still not been totally clear and honest about the whole thing, in fact one of their people mentioned that there would be a round trip option for people with one park tickets only. I can only imagine the entitled potter freakouts there will be if someone wants to ride the train with only a one park ticket and can't. I give Universal a ton of credit if they really restrict it to hopper tickets only, but time will tell.

How is it any different from a guest needing a two-park ticket to ride the Toy Story attraction that's at Disneyland and the Toy Story attraction that's at California Adventure?

I think I may have confused either you or myself with my question ... Mostly, I was getting at the idea that if I buy a single ticket to a (typical) single park, all of the rides/attractions at that single park are available to me, save for the upcharge experiences that are common and accepted. Now Universal is introducing a scenario that says, "When you buy a single park ticket, all of the attractions are available to you... except this one. This one is only available if you buy a slightly more expensive ticket."

Not trying to condemn the idea, because from a business standpoint it's not bad. Just thought it was interesting.

If it is true to the story (of course it will be or J.K. Rowling wouldn't of approved it), then yes the pathways will be narrow and crowd control will be a ton of fun for Universal. The coaster does sound interesting. Hopefully, it concentrates more on thrills than story-telling so everyone can enjoy, not just Potter fans.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like you're only getting a ride on the Hogwarts Express with the hopper, you're getting an entire park of attractions. What is the price difference? When I went two years ago a 2 day park to park ticket was not bad at all, and not much more than a 1 day. They should hold their ground on this one. I know I'd want to do Hogsmeade & Diagon the same day anyways.

Universal Orlando is one of my favorite places in the world (behind TDS, and Europa) and I haven't been there since I saw the construction of Potterville (and the decimation of Dueling Dragons) and I still see no reason to return.

I love how they say this is a multi-dimensional and multi-sensory ride experience.

That is pretty much every ride in existence. If you move in more than one direction be it up, down, left or right, whammo, you've got yourself multi-dimensional ride. Do you see things and hear things or even feel the wind on your face on a ride, you guessed it... multi-sensory.

Seems like an odd marketing.

This is a good point. Most rides are "multi-dimensional" and "multi-sensory." They're really saying nothing; then again, that's marketing speak for you.

Edited by cfc

I do think this situation is a bit different because this is being sold as one brand, one whole experience, but in two parks. With the Toy Story attractions at Disneyland, they aren't being marketed together as one experience. They are not connected by a single story withing the parks that has been split. There in no direct incentive to make a guest want to visit both parks because they experienced one of the two Toy Story attractions.

I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I just wish I went to Universal this year and not last october, but then again if I went this summer I wouldn't be able to go to HHN. Anyway I am so excited to see the finished product. I am sure it's going to be awesome! The Gringotts coaster looks like its going to very well theme, hopefully they give non Harry Potter fans some story for they know what the ride is based on. I also love the name of the coaster to.

^You bring up an interesting thought: Diagon Alley might be an ideal venue for a HHN scare zone or perhaps a maze. The Potterverse certainly has enough monsters and atmosphere to make it effective.

But would JK Rowling allow it?

I'd love a HHN attraction/maze/scare zone themed to Potter inside Diagon Alley but I truly am not sure if I'd see it happen.

Overall this announcement really didn't tell us too much more except for shops coming but truthfully, did it have to? This truly is a "Build it and they will come" type of place.

I cannot wait to get back down there in Sept for HHN and to experience the new Potter area. Hopefully Escape from Gringotts is a little more accommodating to those that don't know too much about the Harry Potter lore.

I also don't fully believe the two park ticket thing. Universal has still not been totally clear and honest about the whole thing, in fact one of their people mentioned that there would be a round trip option for people with one park tickets only. I can only imagine the entitled potter freakouts there will be if someone wants to ride the train with only a one park ticket and can't. I give Universal a ton of credit if they really restrict it to hopper tickets only, but time will tell.

I'm with you. I see them offering a round trip option for the single park ticket holders. But maybe they think that Pottterheads will gladly pay the price to ride the train!

I'd love a HHN attraction/maze/scare zone themed to Potter inside Diagon Alley but I truly am not sure if I'd see it happen.

All you need is a maze from the fourth book (not necessariy in Diagon Alley I know, but still). I'm sure somehow the creative people have been thinking this up! It does work quite well though. Perhaps it wouldnt be as scary as some of the other gore, but it's so crazy, so crazy, it just might work!

Well, the webcast did confirm that the Diagon Alley addition will include a Knockturn Alley, the dark, shady, back street where all the evil wizards get their evil goods. Knockturn Alley is also the location of Borgin & Burkes (also confirmed to be in the addition by the webcast) which, famously from the book, housed one of the two Vanishing Cabinets (according to Potter-lore, for those unfamiliar, you have two Vanishing Cabinets, one where you are and one where you want to go and when you go into one, you basically teleport into the other). To satisfy Rowling's demands and prevent a HHN themed Potter maze from needing to take place in Diagon Alley/Knockturn Alley, you just make the entrance to the maze be through a Vanishing Cabinet in some back corner of Knockturn Alley, then the maze itself could end up being themed to anything/anywhere in the Potter Universe (Dungeons of Hogwarts, Chamber of Secrets, Forbidden Forest, the hedge maze from Goblet of Fire, etc). Could be really cool if they got the green light from Rowling.

If it was any other train I wouldn't ask but considering how JK Rowling is kind of picky on details, how will the train run backwards when it's making the reverse journey? is there going to be a locomotive on both ends of the train?

She's actually so picky that my aunt's boyfriend said that she calls every day asking all kinds of detailed questions. He always has to plan ahead given the time zone difference, but she cares extremely deeply, as you probably have heard, about the park. She's loving it.

is knock turn alley enclosed? cause it looks like it is and is there some type of walk through in there because they said something in the webcast about when they were "walking through" they were holding hands... maybe they just meant the area but Im curious...

I think I may have confused either you or myself with my question ... Mostly, I was getting at the idea that if I buy a single ticket to a (typical) single park, all of the rides/attractions at that single park are available to me, save for the upcharge experiences that are common and accepted. Now Universal is introducing a scenario that says, "When you buy a single park ticket, all of the attractions are available to you... except this one. This one is only available if you buy a slightly more expensive ticket."

Not trying to condemn the idea, because from a business standpoint it's not bad. Just thought it was interesting.

It's no different than any other upcharge ride. How many parks have go-karts or Skycoasters or Screamin' Swings or anything else that the park asks for more money to ride?

Universal LOVES to upsell people on everything. This is their latest, best way they've found to do that. It's a great value for the guest seeing as they're gaining not just an additional ride, but an entire additional park along with it.