TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

When the article mentions more hotel rooms, where will the be building these extra hotel rooms? I know Universal has some room but in some areas it seems like it will be a far walk from the hotel to CityWalk. Maybe they will invest in some buses soon? Or do they have buses already? Cabana Bay already seems it will be a little trek just to get to the parks and back. Will they connect the lake that connects to all of the hotel properties already to Cabana Bay?

The last piece of adjacent, cleared, land they own is directly next to Cabana Bay on the East side, on the south end of the resort complex. There is really no chance of them extending the water way out to here as there is a pretty major road between most of the complex and the Cabana Bay plot. They are combatting this by building a large pedestrian bridge over the road. This was highly contested when it was revealed they were getting mucho government funding for it. I would imagine they would make the guests from a fifth resort use this same walkway.

I would love to see them add some sort of monorail system that would run to Cabana Bay and the fifth resort and into City Walk, but that seems like a pipe dream. Maybe they could have a tram instead.

And as far as adding more hotels beyond that? They're gonna need to acquire some more land.

When the article mentions more hotel rooms, where will the be building these extra hotel rooms? I know Universal has some room but in some areas it seems like it will be a far walk from the hotel to CityWalk. Maybe they will invest in some buses soon? Or do they have buses already? Cabana Bay already seems it will be a little trek just to get to the parks and back. Will they connect the lake that connects to all of the hotel properties already to Cabana Bay?

The last piece of adjacent, cleared, land they own is directly next to Cabana Bay on the East side, on the south end of the resort complex. There is really no chance of them extending the water way out to here as there is a pretty major road between most of the complex and the Cabana Bay plot. They are combatting this by building a large pedestrian bridge over the road. This was highly contested when it was revealed they were getting mucho government funding for it. I would imagine they would make the guests from a fifth resort use this same walkway.

I would love to see them add some sort of monorail system that would run to Cabana Bay and the fifth resort and into City Walk, but that seems like a pipe dream. Maybe they could have a tram instead.

And as far as adding more hotels beyond that? They're gonna need to acquire some more land.

Ya I was thinking they would need to buy more land because if they have around 4,000 when Cabana Bay opens and if they want 11,000 like the article says, they will really need to expand. It seems like it will be a pretty far walk from Cabana Bay, I know the waterway goes to the Portofino Bay. I didn't know if they would just add a bit and go under the small road that leads to I4 and connect it that way.

^^ They recently acquired some land - they bought the Wet n' Wild land. I would suspect that is where we'll see expansion down the road.

While there is not much land directly next to the park, there is several large parcels behind the Doubletree across the street and down near the Lockheed Martin site. For the longest time Universal owned a bunch of land as far south as the convention center so expanding in an area not near to the current site has been in looked at before.

As for the additional hotel rooms - I wouldn't be surprised to see them acquire the Doubletree hotel (afterall it is owned by Blackstone so at one point is was under the same larger company as Universal). Or one of the other hotels. Disneyland acquired the Disneyland Hotel and that worked out well for them - I think it could be done with Universal.

Alright, I am heading to Orlando for one day with a group of friends and family during the last week of March. I am visiting IOA once in the last week of March (day is TBD) and have a few questions about the park. Before I ask these questions, I have a bit of info for everyone:

* I have already visited the parks twice, but at completely different times (July 2012 and November of 2009).

* I have yet to experience Pteranodon Flyers (Both times I went, it was the longest line in the park and I skipped it) as well as Poseidon's Fury (closed both times I went).

* Only rode Forbidden Journey once after a 2 hour wait and would like to reride it again this time.

* My group does not have any desire to visit Studios this time since Diagon Alley is not open quite yet, so this park is out of the question.

*I am well aware that Spring Break is crowded, but please answer the question.

Here are the questions:

1. What are typical crowds and wait times for the last week in March, specifically weekdays (excluding Friday)?

2. Is the Express Pass worth the price? And is there an Unlimited version that is not part of the two park pass?

3. Is it worth my time to stand in line for Pteranodon Flyers for the credit?

4. Finally, Is the weather typically warm enough for water rides around late March?

Thanks ahead to anyone who answers these questions! I realize this is a lengthy post!

Alright, I am heading to Orlando for one day with agroup of friends and family during the last week of March. I am visiting IOA once in the last week of March (day is TBD) and have a few questions about the park. Before I ask these questions, I have a bit of info for everyone:

* I have already visited the parks twice, but at completely different times (July 2012 and November of 2009).

* I have yet to experience Pteranodon Flyers (Both times I went, it was the longest line in the park and I skipped it) as well as Poseidon's Fury (closed both times I went).

* Only rode Forbidden Journey once after a 2 hour wait and would like to reride it again this time.

* My group does not have any desire to visit Studios this time since Diagon Alley is not open quite yet, so this park is out of the question.

*I am well aware that Spring Break is crowded, but please answer the question.

Here are the questions:

1. What are typical crowds and wait times for the last week in March, specifically weekdays (excluding Friday)?

2. Is the Express Pass worth the price? And is there an Unlimited version that is not part of the two park pass?

3. Is it worth my time to stand in line for Pteranodon Flyers for the credit?

4. Finally, Is the weather typically warm enough for water rides around late March?

Thanks ahead to anyone who answers these questions! I realize this is a lengthy post!

I'll do my best to help answer your questions:

1. It's part of the Spring Break season, so I would expect some crowds. I was at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay around the same time last year and crowds were manageable, so I would imagine slightly heavier crowds at IOA.

2. It looks like the one time per ride pass during the last week of March is $49.99 per person (online offer). It costs like $15 more at the park. The Unlimited Express is more and I couldn't find the exact price online.

3. I could not get the Pteranodon Flyers credit in December, as the ride op says that I was too tall and did not have a child under 54". If a child will be in your group, please remember that the line is REALLY slow and is not on the Express Pass (neither is Harry Potter).

4. When I was in Florida last March, I would have been fine going on the water rides, but I had no urge to be drench for the rest of the day!

I know not everyone likes Wicked the musical, but it does have a large number of fans following it. There have been many rumors to turn the musical into a movie for a few years and it is now in development as we speak. If they do the movie right, it can be a huge hit! What I would like to see Universal do is turn the rest of the Lost Continent into the Land of Oz. Poseidon would turn into a new family dark ride. Sinbad area will be transformed to hold a shorter version of Wicked the musical. Also, I think that a Broadway theatre should be added to CityWalk as Universal does have a lot of great Broadway shows including Billy Elliot, etc. Also, I think the Woody Woodpecker area needs a complete transformation into a new land.

Good article with Comcast CEO, Brian Roberts.

Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners.

"We're doubling down on theme parks," Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts during a conference in Las Vegas that was broadcast online. "We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go."

Comcast's Universal Parks & Resorts operates the third-busiest collection of theme parks in the world, with combined attendance of more than 36 million a year, according to estimates compiled by the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting company AECOM. But it remains far behind the global leader, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which draws more than 126 million theme-park visits per year.

Link to rest of article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-theme-parks-20140107,0,7714951.story

I don't understand how they can claim market share when they are so far behind Disney?

Simple. He's acknowledging Disney is kicking their butt, but thinks the aggressive expansion will help increase their market share. As has been discussed a bunch on this forum, all the other parks in Orlando realize Disney is the top dog. The goal is to make those Disney guests shave off a day or two from their Disney vacation to spend it at Universal.

Good article with Comcast CEO, Brian Roberts.

Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners.

"We're doubling down on theme parks," Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts during a conference in Las Vegas that was broadcast online. "We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go."

Comcast's Universal Parks & Resorts operates the third-busiest collection of theme parks in the world, with combined attendance of more than 36 million a year, according to estimates compiled by the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting company AECOM. But it remains far behind the global leader, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which draws more than 126 million theme-park visits per year.

Link to rest of article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-theme-parks-20140107,0,7714951.story

I don't understand how they can claim market share when they are so far behind Disney?

Simple. He's acknowledging Disney is kicking their butt, but thinks the aggressive expansion will help increase their market share. As has been discussed a bunch on this forum, all the other parks in Orlando realize Disney is the top dog. The goal is to make those Disney guests shave off a day or two from their Disney vacation to spend it at Universal.

I understand all that. What I was questioning is his wording basically. When he said 'Win" market share, I took that as: "Have more market share then Disney" and not: "Win more then we have" haha.

Anyone else kind of excited to see what Universal shows off tomorrow? Im not a Potter fan but I have a feeling the new ride is going to be amazing. At least from all the rumors and news we got so far. I'm gong to try to take my break at work so I can watch it.

Discover all-new details about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ – Diagon Alley™

Edited by robbalvey

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT REVEALS DETAILS FOR THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER – DIAGON ALLEY

2014’s Most Anticipated New Theme Park Experience Opens This Summer and Brings More of Harry Potter’s Adventures to Life

Expansive New Area Will Feature Something for Everyone:

The Hogwarts Express, A Groundbreaking Ride, Plus Spectacular Shops and Dining

ORLANDO, Fla. (January 23, 2014) – Never before has a theme park created a guest experience like this: you climb aboard the Hogwarts Express in Hogsmeade and moments later arrive at King’s Cross Station – where the wonders of London and Diagon Alley unfold before you. And it is all real.

With this summer’s opening of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley, Universal Orlando Resort and Warner Bros. Entertainment will bring even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life inside a new, magnificently themed area that includes a revolutionary attraction experience, as well as all-new themed shops and dining.

The two companies today revealed first-ever details about the new area and the one-of-a-kind adventures it will offer the whole family. The spectacularly themed environment will double the size of the sweeping area already dedicated to Harry Potter’s adventures at Universal Orlando, expanding it across both Universal theme parks.

And – just like in the books and films – guests will be able to travel between the two areas aboard the iconic Hogwarts Express.

Universal Orlando launched a global phenomenon when it opened The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at its Islands of Adventure theme park in 2010. That area includes the iconic Hogwarts castle – which houses the groundbreaking Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction – and the village of Hogsmeade. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will be located within Universal Orlando’s second theme park, Universal Studios, and will create new experiences based on the signature areas of London, Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley.

Universal’s creative team has been working closely with Stuart Craig and the production team from the Harry Potter films to make the new area as authentic and spectacular as possible – just as it did with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade.

The vision for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley is unprecedented, with Universal Orlando creating the world’s first centrally themed, multi-park experience.

After arriving at King’s Cross Station aboard the Hogwarts Express, guests will pass through London and the iconic brick wall archway from the films into Diagon Alley – a bustling, wizarding hub within a Muggle city. There will be shops, dining experiences, and a new ride called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts – a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional journey that will take theme park attractions to a new level.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will give visitors the exciting opportunity to:

· Board the Hogwarts Express and journey between London’s King’s Cross Station (located in Universal Studios Florida) and Hogsmeade Station (located in Universal’s Islands of Adventure). The journey will be filled with views of London and the British countryside – as well as a few surprises. Park-to-park admission is required.

· Experience a groundbreaking new, multi-dimensional thrill ride, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, which will place riders in the middle of an incredible adventure as they navigate their way through the perils of the Gringotts vaults

· Witness the magical experience of a wand choosing a wizard at Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC, one of the wizarding world’s premier wand shops

· Discover the darker side of magic in Knockturn Alley, the darkest of dark places that features Borgin and Burkes – a shop specializing in the Dark Arts that will offer a wide variety of Dark objects, such as Death Eater masks, skulls, and other sinister items

Explore some of Diagon Alley’s famous shops, including:

o Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, a vibrant shop featuring novelty items, magical jokes, and toys inspired by the books and films that will amaze the mischievous child in everyone

o Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, where guests will find a variety of wizardwear from Hogwarts school uniform ties, scarves and jumpers, to authentic wizard’s robes and character costumes

o Magical Menagerie, which features a collection of plush animals, such as owls and Hippogriffs

o Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment, where guests can grab wizarding essentials such as telescopes, binoculars, armillary spheres, compasses, magnifying glasses and hourglasses

o Quality Quidditch Supplies, offering a wide assortment of apparel and equipment including Quidditch sweaters, brooms, Golden Snitches, Bludgers, Bludger bats, Quaffles and more

o Scribbulus, featuring authentic writing implements and products such as feather quills, ink and inkwells, bookmarks, journals, parchment paper, seals, stationery sets and postcards

More details of Diagon Alley:

· Enjoy traditional British fare that includes favorite dishes such as fish and chips, bangers and mash and more at the Leaky Cauldron

· Visit Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour for frozen treats in a variety of tantalizing and unique flavors such as strawberry-and-peanut-butter ice-cream and many others

· And more!

More details about the unique experiences that can be found in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will be released over time. For more information about the area, visit http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter.

539218035_WiseacresWizardingEquipment.thumb.jpg.fe23adf8c09ea6c5d198cc1d16b75568.jpg

Guests can grab wizarding essentials at Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment, one of the shops located in Diagon Alley. Here, guests can pick up items such as telescopes, binoculars, armillary spheres, compasses, magnifying glasses and hourglasses.

976073793_WeasleysWizardWheezes.thumb.jpg.9b9c38469399af6981da785db9e20322.jpg

One of Diagon Alley’s shops is Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes - a vibrant shop featuring novelty items, magical jokes, and toys inspired by the books and films that will amaze the mischievous child in everyone.

Ollivanders.thumb.jpg.695b4faa9b0453b69d25c030daa2697e.jpg

Visitors to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will witness the magical experience of a wand choosing a wizard at Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC, one of the wizarding world’s premier wand shops.

136311152_LondonEmbankment.thumb.jpg.4c8b4ab962138e817d21d15b36cac833.jpg

Opening this summer at Universal Studios Florida, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will bring even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life. Guests will pass through London and the iconic brick wall archway from the films into Diagon Alley – a bustling, wizarding hub within a Muggle city.

333170234_KingsCrossStation.thumb.jpg.cf02e395073af5a67459ff3cb08da1ce.jpg

Opening this summer at Universal Studios Florida, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will bring even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life. Just like in the books and films – guests will be able to board the Hogwarts Express and travel between The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade, which opened in June 2010 at Islands of Adventure, and London when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley opens at Universal Studios Florida. The journey will be filled with views of London and the British countryside – as well as a few surprises. Park-to-park admission is required.

917866920_FloreanFortescuesIce-CreamParlour.thumb.jpg.713c60f78dea8823ba23870c74fb8142.jpg

Opening this summer at Universal Studios Florida, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will bring even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life. There will be shops, dining experiences - including Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour, and a new ride called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts – a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional journey that will take theme park attractions to a new level.

618995681_HarryPotterandtheEscapefromGringotts.thumb.jpg.900a37ce3b4092a6ff0c174465f32b92.jpg

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will feature a new ride called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts – a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional journey that will take theme park attractions to a new level. The thrill ride will place riders in the middle of an incredible adventure as they navigate their way through the perils of the Gringotts vaults. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will open this summer at Universal Studios Florida.

1014869452_HogsmeadeStation.thumb.jpg.8b2a3e9a9d3445f4051e747ad98dab25.jpg

Opening this summer at Universal Studios Florida, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will bring even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life. Just like in the books and films – guests will be able to board the Hogwarts Express and travel between The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade, which opened in June 2010 at Islands of Adventure, and London when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley opens at Universal Studios Florida. The journey will be filled with views of London and the British countryside – as well as a few surprises. Park-to-park admission is required.

387269952_DiagonAlley.thumb.jpg.f56051af11688efeceeb8f9f421a181d.jpg

Opening this summer at Universal Studios Florida, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will bring even more of Harry Potter’s adventures to life. Guests will pass through London and the iconic brick wall archway from the films into Diagon Alley – a bustling, wizarding hub within a Muggle city. There will be shops, dining experiences, and a new ride called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts – a multi-sensory, multi-dimensional journey that will take theme park attractions to a new level.

diagon4.jpg.ea7d81c3cf07267c05231cbe7a129bf6.jpg

Another shot of the Gringott's Bank ride from the webcast.

1620445_10201387650028869_716086817_n.thumb.jpg.28d8d8b7f46dc1a6aa461886c5ea2439.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

If it was any other train I wouldn't ask but considering how JK Rowling is kind of picky on details, how will the train run backwards when it's making the reverse journey? is there going to be a locomotive on both ends of the train?

Thanks robb there are some better pictures on here that on the web cast lol!

Nice to see on the train. But they are keeping a lot of info back for later. Listening to the actors sounds like the building are starting to take shape .

Stu K

^"Escape from Gringotts" would be really cool if it included Snake Plissken--and Bruce the Shark.

"Who needs a wand when you got a machine gun?"

Snake Plissken would improve any attraction. Much like fire.

Other than some shops, did we really learn anything new from this announcement? Seems like this whole project has been one of the worst kept secrets in theme park history. I know they'll make a lot of money from this, but I'm not seeing anything that makes me want to get back to Universal any time soon.

dt