TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Besides the obvious issues with capacity, how would they fit a round trip into the storyline? Tell you the school is closed and you have to spend the school year at a Muggle school? Just time travel thru the entire school year?

Not that a lot of parks wouldn't just do this, but not with J.K. Rowling in charge.

Isn't the story that Dumbledore has opened his school for muggles for a day or something similar? If so, I don't see why traveling there and back in a train would be a problem to the story.

The story will be about smuggling Coke products across the border via rail. This was confirmed on their MySpace page.

I heard that it was going to be Voldemort smuggling in Pepsi and Bud Light.

This is exciting news but I'm not so crazy about Harry Potter. It's cool but I think that section could be used for something better. I rather see a new thing and considering Harry potter is over and there will be no more books or movies. This seems kinda useless to me but I am still going to ride the new coaster.

I'm curious about the new restaurant. What other food or theme could it be around? I know nothing about the Potter story line, but their previous food experiments went very well, how could they follow that up?

It'll be the Leaky Cauldron where the entrance to Diagon Alley is located. Basically another pub like the Three Broomsticks. Most definitely a counter.

Besides the obvious issues with capacity, how would they fit a round trip into the storyline? Tell you the school is closed and you have to spend the school year at a Muggle school? Just time travel thru the entire school year?

Not that a lot of parks wouldn't just do this, but not with J.K. Rowling in charge.

Isn't the story that Dumbledore has opened his school for muggles for a day or something similar? If so, I don't see why traveling there and back in a train would be a problem to the story.

So what, they would just say they canceled the one day visit and "thanks for taking the train across England, but you have to go all the way back home".

^This has been discussed over and over again, but to recap: an entire generation grew up reading the books/watching the movies, so it will be popular for years to come. The modern version of Star Wars.

Holy crap! Like Robb said, several people are WAY overthinking this. It feels like the discussion from some right now is "I don't know, everything they've done up until now has been pretty cool and authentic, but I think they'll find a way to screw this up and/or make people feel like they're getting ripped off." Just relax and let the professional planners and designers work this out. That's what they're being paid to do. I also get the feeling some people are assuming for authenticity there will only be one train or how else will this be a capacity nightmare?

My biggest curiosity right now is about the Gringott's ride. Did someone at S&S or another manufacturer figure out how to do the hinged vehicles like the freefly, but have the cars be within the track structure like the Togo heartline or Arrow pipeline concepts? That would be COOL if they can get the vehicles to behave like the Gringott's ride to the vaults.

^I believe - and someone can correct me if there are new rumors on the block - that the leading rumor for Gringott's is that it's a Premier that may or may not use a patent that Universal filed, for a roller coaster that also utilizes a track piece attached to a moving vehicle/pod/podium (can't think of a good word for it) to become a dark ride for a bit, then that meets up with more track and the train continues on as a coaster again.

TL;DR: it's gonna be cool as crap.

^Nope. This new section is being built on the old footprint of Jaws and the area behind it. It will not have any impact on any adjacent attractions (Disaster, MiB, etc.)

Thanks,I was wondering If they would incorporate the former Jaws site.

^I believe - and someone can correct me if there are new rumors on the block - that the leading rumor for Gringott's is that it's a Premier that may or may not use a patent that Universal filed, for a roller coaster that also utilizes a track piece attached to a moving vehicle/pod/podium (can't think of a good word for it) to become a dark ride for a bit, then that meets up with more track and the train continues on as a coaster again.

TL;DR: it's gonna be cool as crap.

It's called Sim Track and several vendors are involved. It will be the most advanced ride system for a dark ride to date.

I think that all of the confusion about the train system comes more from what Universal says about it, specifically this:

"And we've made sure that even your train trip aboard the Hogwarts Express will be part of the ambitious immersive storytelling experience that we're trying to create for our Guests with this Potter expansion."

The normal transportation systems (Monorail, boat, or whatever) aren't what most people would consider "ambitious immersive storytelling." If Universal forces you to buy a two-day ticket to ride it, it would essentially become a massive upcharge attraction. The actual movement of people is completely secondary, and an easy problem to solve once the hopper part of the equation is figured out, which I'm certain Universal did before starting work on it at all. They just haven't told us yet.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end of July, my family is visiting Orlando.

Our original plan was 4 days at Disney, 2 at Universal.

My dad got a really good deal for less than $400 a person that includes 4 days at Disney, 1 at Universal, and 1 at SeaWorld.

We have to choose one Universal park. Which one will be better for us if we get Express Passes?

We have two 60 year old seniors, one 40 year old adult, one teenager, and one ten year old. I would guess IoA would be the one to choose. Am I correct?

In the end of July, my family is visiting Orlando.

Our original plan was 4 days at Disney, 2 at Universal.

My dad got a really good deal for less than $400 a person that includes 4 days at Disney, 1 at Universal, and 1 at SeaWorld.

We have to choose one Universal park. Which one will be better for us if we get Express Passes?

We have two 60 year old seniors, one 40 year old adult, one teenager, and one ten year old. I would guess IoA would be the one to choose. Am I correct?

I'd probably lean toward Studios. There are more shows and less 54" rides. I guess it really depends on if the 10 year old is 54" yet, and if the 60 year olds like pretty significant big coasters. MIB, Simpsons, ET, and even the Mummy are all good tweener attractions, and I believe Transformers will be one too. Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket is 51". At IOA Hulk, and Dragons Challenge are 54" and Dr. Doom is 52". IOA has the better water rides for sure.