TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^My post said I didn't have any problems with any of the facades. I liked the variations of all of them.

Please allow to elaborate since everything I post seems to keep being mis-interpreted.

I have a strong interest in themed entertainment attractions and their theming. I chose to comment on them because of my interest in such attraction elements. I like all three variations of the Transformers Ride buildings. I do not dislike any of them.

There's no simpler way for me to state it.

^My post said I didn't have any problems with any of the facades. I liked the variations of all of them.

But you're acting like they're all on par with each other, and they're not. You're failing to acknowledge that USH's exterior is of far less quality. Those are glorified cardboard cutouts of Optimus and Megatron on the entrance facade! A super well done ride inside the building, but glorified cardboard cutouts on the outside.

Looks like Florida's exterior will at least be not that, and that's a GOOD thing.

I'm not really sure how "straight off the side of a 70's rape van" fits at USH, or with the story that you are visiting a top secret facility that was "hidden" in a theme park for that matter.

I guess the technicality is that since Optimus and Megatron fight on the ride, the facade is just an extension of that, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that given how the other two facades turned out...that was not the intent. Especially given that the core creative team was the same for all three projects.

^I think they're all unique and fit their respective locations. They each were done with different styles in mind. I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of an attraction designer.

Do the glorified cardboard cut outs representative of shallow Southern Californians?

^I think they're all unique and fit their respective locations. They each were done with different styles in mind. I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of an attraction designer.

Or maybe budgets were cut, or the executives wanted something different, so the actual attraction designers didn't get what they originally planned. Maybe they just had to cut a bunch of stuff and couldn't do what they really wanted to do with the building. I have a hard time believing that cutouts of the characters were what they wanted for USH's entrance.

Personally I appreciate the ascetics of it. I like how all three of the attractions have thematically varied styles in their facades.

as·cet·ic n.

A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion.

adj.

Hmmm....not sure how this fits in with Transformers.

Oh...he meant THIS:

AESTHETIC

a : of, relating to, or dealing with aesthetics or the beautiful

b : artistic

c : pleasing in appearance

Which one again proves the point that spell and grammar check are your friends!

I have a hard time believing that cutouts of the characters were what they wanted for USH's entrance.

I don't know. I like to think it probably played out like this:

Project Manager [bursts into meeting room] - "Okay, who the eff blew the budget on a stylized, interpretive military installation exterior design?!?!?!? Think, people....THINK. We're in Southern California. DUMB IT DOWN! I'm leaving for lunch. When I get back I wanna see a new version with two effin' airbrushed cardboard cut-out robots fighting on the side of the building.....and that's it. I want it to say, 'There's a ride over here with Transformers fighting and blowing stuff up,' and nothing more. Got it? Good. Get it done."

:lover: Peach Fanta??? This exists in the world?? Amazing. Does it taste as good as it sounds??

Yes! Oh, god yes! It's amazing! I first had it in Japan, and everything in Japan is awesome, so when I found out that it's a choice on the Freestyle machines, I don't think I've ever had anything else!

You can also get Peach Sprite, Peach Mello Yello, and maybe even Peach Coke? (I've never tried that!)

--Robb

For anyone who may be curious, the new Donkey M&G opened for a few sets this afternoon. It was supposed to be ready this morning but some pavement work delayed the opening sets til the afternoon. Starting tomorrow the new M&G will be open for all sets going forward daily.

Hilltopper39 wrote:Also, even though it's 7 months away it should be interesting to see how the construction effects HHN.

I don't think it should effect it any more/less than it did in 2012. I'll be honest, I thought 2012's HHN was one of the weakest yet, but I don't think the construction had anything to do with it. Hoping HHN starts getting a bit better....

Not to get off topic but I think it was the Superstar Parade that had HHN them get rid of the scare zones. The park has to leave the most of the street sets up during the day which would have disrupted the daily parade and its spectators.

Now before you remind me that there was a parade in HHN 2004, that was a two-park event and the scare zones were in the old bone yard and studio backlot.

I did think HHN was pretty weak this year but the active construction sites are more distracting at night since they are full of white light. I thought it distracted from the immersive atmosphere that I like.

Hilltopper39 wrote:Also, even though it's 7 months away it should be interesting to see how the construction effects HHN.

I don't think it should effect it any more/less than it did in 2012. I'll be honest, I thought 2012's HHN was one of the weakest yet, but I don't think the construction had anything to do with it. Hoping HHN starts getting a bit better....

Not to get off topic but I think it was the Superstar Parade that had HHN them get rid of the scare zones. The park has to leave the most of the street sets up during the day which would have disrupted the daily parade and its spectators.

Now before you remind me that there was a parade in HHN 2004, that was a two-park event and the scare zones were in the old bone yard and studio backlot.

I did think HHN was pretty weak this year but the active construction sites are more distracting at night since they are full of white light. I thought it distracted from the immersive atmosphere that I like.

The entire event was a little bit of a wreck this year. Between Creative kicking A&D out of a house already under construction at 44, failed attempts at a great IP ( which is coming this year btw), construction deadzones, houses literally having to switch venues well past initial deadlines, and so on it created a thrown together type feel. But I do want to say that A&D did the best they could with what they were given, with the exception of no icon. Still for the life of me can't figure that decision out.

Also for those who may be curious a new large section of steel has gone vertical in front of Gringotts. Over many many more months this large steel structure will be the actual facade, entry, and massive bank queue for Gringotts. I can go into a few details about the bank queue area if anyone is interested.

Oh and almost forgot, the planned refurb for JPRA that was scheduled to start on March 4th and last 3 weeks has been cancelled. More on that little nugget later.

The worst thing about Coke Freestyle machines is they carry Mello Yello.

That's not too bad. I usually get nothing but Cherry Mello-Yellow and it tastes different than plain. I never had the oppertunity to try one of these machines back when they still sold Vault, unfortunately.

I've felt that HHN has been slipping in quality for awhile. I still think that due to the insane amount of money they make selling alcohol, and the inebriated status of most attendees, they've figured they don't have to really put as much effort in any more, as the place will be packed pretty much not matter what the mazes are. I've found other events (like the one at BGT) to be improving their game. Would really like to see HHN make a comeback. And hire someone with actual comedy skills to write the Bill & Ted show, because, um, it has not been very good of late...

dt