TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

How do the Universal parks compare to the WDW ones on theming and cleanliness and stuff like that? I've seen so many pictures of the Universal parks through the years and they really look stunning. Is the quality up there with Disney in real life? Because the pictures definitely make it look like that is the case!

The pictures speak the truth. The theming at Universal is only matched by Disney, and in quite a few places, passes Disney. The parks are always clean. As you can see in the update, two lands at Islands of Adventure just went through a massive repainting (Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing).

This is the case if you've ONLY ever been to American amusement parks along with Universal and Disney parks, perhaps, but there are quite a few parks out there that also have theming that is just as good as Universal, some of them just as good as Disney. Parks like Europa, Phantasialand, Efteling, and even Alton Towers come to mind. There are actually many parks all over Asia, Europe, and even Australia that do a FANTASTIC job on theming and story telling. For example, that dark ride section of Superman: Escape at Warner Bros Movie World is better than any theming on any of the coasters at Islands of Adventure.

And that's not knocking IOA or anything, but to say that Universals theming is only matched by Disney is simply not true.

--Robb

Okay, thanks all! I've always thought Alton Towers looked great in pictures too. I may have an opportunity to head to WDW and the Universal parks in April for a week or so, and I am excited to check those out. I really appreciate a beautiful park and some great rides! I need to get a job to start going on some TPR trips to see other places!

I'm curious, but are some of the stencilled patterns etc on the ride building just temporary as promotion until the ride opens?

In particular, on the 2nd pic, bottom left, you can see they have painted a giant barcode on the building, which seems a bit random (Unless they are awaiting delivery of their giant barcode reader bit of theming )

Regardless, I get the feeling the designer drawing up the elevations for the exterior design got a little excited and just splattered over the building as many bits of military base/warning sign icons that they could think of.

Edited by Gav

Regardless, I get the feeling the person who did the exterior design got a little excited and just splattered over the building as many bits of military base/warning sign icons that they could think of.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened.

I'm reasonably sure that the designer of this building took a bit more care than, say, a kid with a model car and a bunch of decals.

I'm reasonably sure that the designer of this building took a bit more care than, say, a kid with a model car and a bunch of decals.

Now that you've said that, come to think of it, reminds me a bit of this:

Now that you've said that, come to think of it, reminds me a bit of this:

Er . . . no. Personally, I think the still unfinished building looks fine, so far.

How do the Universal parks compare to the WDW ones on theming and cleanliness and stuff like that? I've seen so many pictures of the Universal parks through the years and they really look stunning. Is the quality up there with Disney in real life? Because the pictures definitely make it look like that is the case!

The pictures speak the truth. The theming at Universal is only matched by Disney, and in quite a few places, passes Disney. The parks are always clean. As you can see in the update, two lands at Islands of Adventure just went through a massive repainting (Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing).

This is the case if you've ONLY ever been to American amusement parks along with Universal and Disney parks, perhaps, but there are quite a few parks out there that also have theming that is just as good as Universal, some of them just as good as Disney. Parks like Europa, Phantasialand, Efteling, and even Alton Towers come to mind. There are actually many parks all over Asia, Europe, and even Australia that do a FANTASTIC job on theming and story telling. For example, that dark ride section of Superman: Escape at Warner Bros Movie World is better than any theming on any of the coasters at Islands of Adventure.

And that's not knocking IOA or anything, but to say that Universals theming is only matched by Disney is simply not true.

--Robb

Correct. I was only speaking from an American point of view. Should have made that more clear. I have not been to parks outside of the U.S., so my opinion is quite marred, but based on pictures, some of the theming outside of America does look great! Though still, I will always believe Islands of Adventure/Universal Studios Florida to be two of the best parks in terms of theming, cleanliness, staff effiency, and maintenance out there.

But I know for a fact my opinion is biased, because Islands of Adventure is my all time favorite park. (Though you can't deny that the park is truly full of some of the best themed lands and attractions out there)

Edited by Bryce

It's better than this....

Have you seen it in person? It actually looks quite cool.

I would say that I am ever so slightly bias to transformers at ush....and I would much rather have a thematically correct building instead of an obnoxious (but cool looking nonetheless) billboard.

Of course you would say that...

LOL! I was going to put the same thing.

Orlando's building looks a lot better than Hollywood's. Hollywood's reminds me of the cheap version of the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster sign in Paris.

Personally I appreciate the aesthetics of it. I like how all three of the attractions have thematically varied styles in their facades.

Edited by SoCalCoasters

Personally I appreciate the ascetics of it. I like how all three of the attractions have thematically varied styles in their facades.

tumblr_mfajhyqwo31s0alp7o1_500.gif.e49127296aaa95394ce35ce5a6fd3f56.gif

Eye rolling .gifs don't change my view on the subject. There's nothing wrong with not disliking any of the facades.

I would just like to point out that this guy does not represent all Californians.

There is a small minority of us who have been around, who get it, and who couldn't care less about which one is "better" because they're too busy having a great time no matter if they're in CA, FL, or Japan. There's sooooo much more to life than examining which Transformers exterior is "better" than the other. Spend less time caring about trivialities and more time having fun in the parks. You'll be a far more happier person!