TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

We were there in October, 2011 and the Hulk was quite rough. Had a headache after that one ride! It was pretty smooth back in 2007 when we were there.

I thought the park was clean and in great shape for that visit.

Jim

I found Hulk quite okay two weeks ago - even better than the Duelling Dragons - but rode always in the back as crowds were low. The last corkscrew was the worst part. The temps were on the low end for Florida at that time and maybe that was the reason it ran a little better...

Duff beer!

Yeah, I am sure it will taste like Miller Lite if they actually sell it.

Florida Brewing Company is working on the Duff beer product, the real question is whether it will be a new product or a clone of Hogs Head Ale.

I think the Simpsons store fronts are Kwik - E - mart, KFP, Moes, and Krusty Burger?

That's correct and in that order but add in Androids on the end (Comic Book Guys shop). Which as I said earlier will be a facade only. The old IFFF side is being rushed at this point so they can close down the rest of the waterfront side for a complete rebuild as well. Due to a bottleneck effect they cannot wall off the rest of the waterfront just yet. I'm sure a local like Rob noticed the current walls create a VERY narrow walkway already.

Fun Fact: In the original plans General Changs Taco Italiano was going to be placed in between the Kwik E Mart and Moe's. So the original line up was to be Kwik E Mart, General Changs, Moe's, Krustyburger, and then Kentucky Fried Panda, followed by renovated restrooms. But in the end marketing and creative decided that no one would recognize General Changs as expected. So Changs was dropped and the KFP put in its place. And to complete the facade Androids is going on the end.

The entire land will be very well done with a HIGH level of detail throughout.

Duff beer!

Yeah, I am sure it will taste like Miller Lite if they actually sell it.

Florida Brewing Company is working on the Duff beer product, the real question is whether it will be a new product or a clone of Hogs Head Ale.

As long as it's better than Miller Lite.

Thanks for the wonderful update! It upsets me that I've gone to Disney 7 times, but have yet to cross foot in a Universal Park. I definitely want to go down in like 4 years when Potterland and *potentially* Jurassic Park land are open. I'm upset I never got to ride Jaws, as I found out that my father actually worked on the team of engineers that developed the water circulation/management system for the ride.

Does Universal give behind the scene tours like the one just posted in sea world? I would be intrigued to see behind the scenes of all there construction. I know that is a newb questions.

Yes. If you look at the front page of this thread, you'll see links to many updates we've done. Quite a few of them include behind the scenes tours: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35993

Very entertaining update and in case anyone from Universal Creative senior management is reading: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE COME UP WITH A REAL FLAMING MOE! That could be the next "butterbeer"-style phenomenon, especially if it includes a reasonable facsimile of Krusty's Non Narkotik Kough Syrup. I'd pay $10 a pop for that, no joke.

How do the Universal parks compare to the WDW ones on theming and cleanliness and stuff like that? I've seen so many pictures of the Universal parks through the years and they really look stunning. Is the quality up there with Disney in real life? Because the pictures definitely make it look like that is the case!

The pictures speak the truth. The theming at Universal is only matched by Disney, and in quite a few places, passes Disney. The parks are always clean. As you can see in the update, two lands at Islands of Adventure just went through a massive repainting (Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing).

How do the Universal parks compare to the WDW ones on theming and cleanliness and stuff like that? I've seen so many pictures of the Universal parks through the years and they really look stunning. Is the quality up there with Disney in real life? Because the pictures definitely make it look like that is the case!

The pictures speak the truth. The theming at Universal is only matched by Disney, and in quite a few places, passes Disney. The parks are always clean. As you can see in the update, two lands at Islands of Adventure just went through a massive repainting (Toon Lagoon and Seuss Landing).

This is the case if you've ONLY ever been to American amusement parks along with Universal and Disney parks, perhaps, but there are quite a few parks out there that also have theming that is just as good as Universal, some of them just as good as Disney. Parks like Europa, Phantasialand, Efteling, and even Alton Towers come to mind. There are actually many parks all over Asia, Europe, and even Australia that do a FANTASTIC job on theming and story telling. For example, that dark ride section of Superman: Escape at Warner Bros Movie World is better than any theming on any of the coasters at Islands of Adventure.

And that's not knocking IOA or anything, but to say that Universals theming is only matched by Disney is simply not true.

--Robb

Is anyone else more excited about this Simpson's expansion simply from playing Tapped Out so much?

I am! That stupid game is getting me even more excited for this. I'm just scared for how much crap I'll buy at the one in Universal!

Seuss Landing's paint has worn off already.

Seuss Landing's paint has worn off already.

Oh? Because I was just there yesterday and it hasn't.

Sadly I couldn't ride hulk last weekend because lines were to long but I got an all year pass. 3 weeks before that my school took a graduation field trip to IOA and me and my friends rode the hulk in the last row and I didn't find it to rough. I think after the turn around the launch tunnel it gets rough. Before that it is generally a very smooth ride. B&M also said that they are ready to start building launch coasters useing Lims. Could we possibly see that in the future for hulk? I hope so because the hulk has one of the slowest launches anywhere. Maybe it will at least gain speed faster.

I know it was just a joke so to speak about the horror of sidewalk paint coming up and fading but new paints and compounds are being tested right now. If you look just next to the Bart graffiti fence to the left of the Kwik E Mart you'll notice several small sections of sidewalk paint already being tested. The Krustyland sub section of this Springfield expansion will feature a lot of sidewalk paint.

I have a stupid question, but it's been bugging me.

When the Springfield area opens, will it continue to be in the World Expo section of the park, or will it be a new land called "Springfield" or "Springfield From The Simpons" or something like that?

Cause if the area was renamed, the only World Expo attractions would be MIB and that Fear Factor show that hardly ever runs.

Of course, at Disney, there's the Storybook Circus that is technically in Fantasyland even though it is pretty much a separate land.

Sorry, for being a nerd, but well, I am one so...