TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

So what are everyone's thoughts on this rumor?

http://www.hypable.com/2013/01/02/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-theme-park/

A Middle Earth theme park? Universal and the Tolkien family rumored to be in talks

by Andrew Sims

Posted on 2:15 pm, January 2, 2013

Universal Orlando has had huge success with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure since its opening in June 2010.

With that in mind, and that great Potter card up their sleeve, there are rumors that the park is talking with the Tolkien family about a Middle Earth theme park.

If rumors are to be believed, this is all happening thanks to the success of The Wizarding World. A reputable user in Orlando United’s forum, where mind-numbing talk of theme parks runs rampant, says Universal asked Warner Bros. to approach the Tolkien’s first. The park asked the studio to make first contact because of the existing relationship Tolkien and WB have built to create The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.

Warner Bros. told the Tolkien’s about the success of The Wizarding World theme park and how the final product was loyal to J.K. Rowling’s story and very well received by fans. Reportedly, the Tolkien’s even spoke to Rowling herself. It was only after all this that Universal and the Tolkien’s began developing ideas.

It’s important to remember that this is all rumor at this point. It’s very interesting how Universal used The Wizarding World’s success to make a go at Middle Earth.

If the rumor is true, there are still many questions to be answered: Where would the Middle Earth land be built? Would the park be marketed as Lord of the Rings (LOTR), Hobbit, or Middle Earth? To what extent will Peter Jackson be involved? Do we get to pretend to be Gandalf and not let people pass? Will Denny’s supply the food?

Edited by robbalvey

^ I couldn't help but start laughing when the word filter changed it to Lord of the Rings.

Could be interesting. Universal has made good on their commitment to quality reproductions of source material. And given their already close relationship with Peter Jackson from King Kong, I could see this happening. I just have to wonder where they expect to fit it?

Although I didn't enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies and only mildly enjoyed The Hobbit, one thing cannot be denied about these series. They have some of the best looking settings around. I would LOVE to see several parts of Middle Earth recreated in person.

As for these rumors, I'm obviously going to take them with a HUGE grain of salt. But it would certainly be interesting to see. I would definitely be curious to see where this could even fit. The biggest available spot owned by Universal is south of Jurassic Park across Hollywood Way if they were to make this entirely new and not part of a massive renovation. Would be interesting to see how they'd incorporate that land into IoA.

Warner Bros. told the Tolkien’s about the success of The Wizarding World theme park and how the final product was loyal to J.K. Rowling’s story and very well received by fans.

As if they were hiding in a Hobbit hole and didn't notice?

Hobbits live in holes, right?

I've gotten several surveys from Universal asking over the past four years asking how I would feel about a Lord of The Rings themed area. I wouldn't take the rumor that they are in talks with the Tolkien family as a grain of salt, seeing as they have been looking into it for a while now.

^Granted we should all take the rumor with a grain of salt and the survey questions probably contributed to the rumor emerging. However, what does every think of the possible recreation of a Middle Earth? What is the enthusiast point of view of the Tolkien franchise?

Personally, I never read any of the books of seen any of the movies. But the same could be said of me regarding the Harry Potter franchise.

^ It's tough for me to think of how to twist into amusement attractions. I can totally see them building shops and what not to serves elvish and hobbit foods, but rides are tough. They spend 90% of the books traveling on foot or horse. You don't have the magic aspect that can make a bench fly and all that.

They do have giant eagles flying around, so that could be a theme for a coaster or dark ride, but that would mix somewhat mundane aspects of the story with the more exciting stuff that the eagles where never around in. I could see a water ride made, there are trips down rivers (In the Hobbit they float down a river in barrels to escape from someone holding them captive). It would be interesting to see. Many of the elements are mirrored in HP (Dragon, giant spiders, goblins/monsters, and trolls) so it's going to be tough to not seem repetitive.

With that in mind, and that great Potter card up their sleeve, there are rumors that the park is talking with the Tolkien family about a Middle Earth theme park.

If rumors are to be believed, this is all happening thanks to the success of The Wizarding World. A reputable user in Orlando United’s forum, where mind-numbing talk of theme parks runs rampant, says Universal asked Warner Bros. to approach the Tolkien’s first. The park asked the studio to make first contact because of the existing relationship Tolkien and WB have built to create The Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings and The Hobbit film trilogies.

My thoughts? The rumor is bullcrap. The existing relationship between WB and the Tolkein family is terrible. J.R.R. sold the film and merchandise rights to Saul Zaentz in 1969, so the family had no say in any of the films. Christopher Tolkien said that the films eviscerated the book and hated the resulting commercialization. On top of that, the Tolkien Trust sued New Line Cinema (now part of WB) for breach of contract and fraud over the Lord of the Rings movies.

from what i heard his son didn't like the idea of the movies til he saw them then changed his mind about them.

if they did get the rights could marvel superhero island became middle earth as Disney owns the right to marvel and they really don't want to be paying there rival.

If rumors are to be believed, this is all happening thanks to the success of The Wizarding World. A reputable user in Orlando United’s forum, where mind-numbing talk of theme parks runs rampant, says Universal asked Warner Bros. to approach the Tolkien’s first. The park asked the studio to make first contact because of the existing relationship Tolkien and WB have built to create The Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings and The Hobbit film trilogies.

My thoughts? The rumor is bullcrap. The existing relationship between WB and the Tolkein family is terrible. J.R.R. sold the film and merchandise rights to Saul Zaentz in 1969, so the family had no say in any of the films. Christopher Tolkien said that the films eviscerated the book and hated the resulting commercialization. On top of that, the Tolkien Trust sued New Line Cinema (now part of WB) for breach of contract and fraud over the Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings movies.

I know I'm shocked when a film becomes a huge hit and is "commercialized." These kinds of complaints are usually about wanting a bigger piece of the pie more than any artistic concerns. Hell, Dr. Seuss's widow couldn't wait to cash in.

Edited by cfc

I'm sure a certain dollar amount would allow them to build a Hobbit/Lord of the Rings world. I could see a whole theme park built on it. Plus with Disney buying up all other major licenses, you almost have to get it, just so Disney does not.

from what i heard his son didn't like the idea of the movies til he saw them then changed his mind about them.

if they did get the rights could marvel superhero island became middle earth as Disney owns the right to marvel and they really don't want to be paying there rival.

He said that they "eviscerated" the books in a 2012 interview.

That said, I don't doubt that Universal might be thinking about LotR, but I doubt that they would have WB talking to the family.

While I am a fan if both series, I kind if wish that this does not happen. I honestly think that Potter and Rings are a bit too similar in that they both are about magic, dragons and stuff. A Battlestar Galactica area would be much cooler. Plus they already own that license.

Edited by Erik Johnson

As a HUGE fan of both, I think they are different enough to work ... maybe not in the same park though.

Here's my issue with Universal getting this over Disney. Unlike HP where you could build Hogwarts and Diagon Alley and you will get a pretty good feel for the franchise since much of the stories take place there, with Middle Earth there are so many different locations they could draw from.

Middle Earth should probably be it's own dedicated park other then trying to place them in the existing parks. I'm not sure how much room there is at USO, is there room there for a 3rd park or a major expansion for Middle Earth (not just taking over an existing land like they did with HP)? I would think WDW in particular would have more room to do something like this. But I'm not sure.

The real issue would be USH. There isn't room for HP let alone HP and Middle Earth. They would seriously have to build another park somewhere for that to work.

There is a lot of Farmland in Camarillo they could use.

But IF this is true. I think it's fair to say Disney dropped the ball again. I mean, could you imagine Disney controlling both Star Wars and LOTR/Hobbit?

But IF this is true. I think it's fair to say Disney dropped the ball again. I mean, could you imagine Disney controlling both Star Wars and LOTR/Hobbit?

Come on! Aren't there enough horrible losers already at Disney??? Don't dump more on us please!!!!

If Universal does make a Middle Earth/LotR land, I'm just curious as to what kind of ride it would be. Would it be an E-Ticket flume ride, like Pirates and Malestorm on a grander scale? That's pretty much the only kind of ride I can see playing out for this kind of franchise. I think it would be neat to see Universal's take on this sort of attraction. It'd be great to see Universal do something that has a lot of animatronic and set detail heavy attractions that Disney always does. I just hope Universal doesn't have a scene in the ride where your boat will stop in front of a screen and jerk around. I think Universal has enough of those kind of attractions.

Also, Clinksalot, in regards to the space issue, they can get rid of Popeye and Dudley. As much as I love the Dudley-Do-Right flume ride, I wouldn't cry to much if they got rid of it for a Lord of the Rings attraction.

EDIT: Whaaaaa--- my post has a mind of its own! I meant to say Lord of the *Rings*!

DOUBLE EDIT: No, I'm trying to say Lord of the R- oh, nevermind.

Edited by Someotherguyuser