TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Had I not been given the first season of Rocky and Bullwinkle, I doubt I would have enjoyed Rip Saw Falls as much as I did knowing the characters and their quirks.

That seems to be the second biggest land in IOA (besides Potter) that requires a bit of prior knowledge to make the attractions more understandable/entertaining. However, since Potter is huge in pop culture, it has a distinct advantage when being compared to Cartoon Lagoon.

However, a lot of parents probably get a bit of a nostalgia kick going through there. Can't think of much benefit besides that...

Had I not been given the first season of Rocky and Bullwinkle, I doubt I would have enjoyed Rip Saw Falls as much as I did knowing the characters and their quirks.

That seems to be the second biggest land in IOA (besides Potter) that requires a bit of prior knowledge to make the attractions more understandable/entertaining. However, since Potter is huge in pop culture, it has a distinct advantage when being compared to Cartoon Lagoon.

However, a lot of parents probably get a bit of a nostalgia kick going through there. Can't think of much benefit besides that...

I don't think that I've ever seen any of the Rocky and Bulwinkle show (at least not enough to leave a lasting impression) but Ripsaw Falls is still one of my favorite attractions at IOA and maybe ever. I'm sure that if you know the characters than you would enjoy it more but that attraction (IMO) is good enough to stand alone for an audience that has never seen the show. I kind of like Toon Town for that reason, it's sort of a throwback to classic cartoons and comic strips that don't really exist anymore, it's has a weird nostalgic feel to it.

How many people that ride Tower of Terror have actually watched the Twilight Zone series? I never have, but it doesn't take away from the ride experience for me.

I enjoy the fact that Universal has preserved classic shows through attractions, but there comes a time when the brand relevance becomes outdated. Similarly, Splash Mountain is based off a pretty defunct Disney Story and they're able to bring it to the new generations, however rides like Woody and Fifel I really don't think have the same staying power that some old classics have. It's a battle I'm sure have on a regular basis.

They should keep the kids area at universal but as sponge bob. FYI, they have a spongebob store right across from the area!

I think they could add a new woody woodpecker ride to toon lagoon that is based on family's. IOA could use a new family ride anyway.

Went to the parks today. Walked on to everything except Cat in the Hat (with the use of single rider lines). They must have just done this but the beginning and ending scenes of Potter (the chimney screens) have now been replaced by a green vortex. Also, because I've only been on Men in Black while using the Express pass, today I found out that there's a pre show to the ride. The unloading station makes so much more sense now.

I have planned to visit Orlando next summer and do all the major parks and coasters. First visit, big investment (with wife and two kids and flying from Sweden, so it will most likely be the only visit (or st least in à very long time).

But now all the new stuff being built makes me wonder if we should wait another year? On the other hand, if I wait, there will probably be an announcement from Busch Gardens/Sea World/Disney/Whatever about a new, huge, record braking attraction for 2015, so I have to wait another year. And then Universal starts talking HP part 3 for 2017, and then...

Is there any chance some of the new attractions will open before summer 2013? Has anything been officially announced yet?

No dates yet. But Transformers will definetly be done before you go. Not so sure on the lodon part of harry potter. But fantasy land will all be open in disney. The parks are so much fun even if things are under construction. I went last week and with jaws, transformers and other things closed for construction, I had the time of my life. I would go either way but make sure to get a flash pass! Lines in the summers are crazy!

Any replies about this woody wood pecker thing??

I enjoy the fact that Universal has preserved classic shows through attractions, but there comes a time when the brand relevance becomes outdated. Similarly, Splash Mountain is based off a pretty defunct Disney Story and they're able to bring it to the new generations, however rides like Woody and Fifel I really don't think have the same staying power that some old classics have. It's a battle I'm sure have on a regular basis.

I really feel that Fifel needs to go. It just feels incredibly outdated! Plus, how easy would it be to slap on some new theming in that area - it could be the spongebob playground with a couple of months work!

Hi everyone,

I will visit Islands of Adventure in november during my trip through Florida.

Can you give me some tips for the park.

We decided to visit the park on a monday. I hope, that the park will not be so crowded as on the weekends.

Which ride should we do first?

We thought to do the rides first and after that the shows, or is there a must-see-show in the park?

Thanks for your help from Germany

Iris

Dear Disneyfan 1313,

We will just visit Islands of adventure. We've been to Universal Studios in L.A. 3 years ago.

We will be at Islands of Adventure on nov. 19th. It's a monday. We don't have a chance to go on an other day, because we are in Fort Lauderdale after and before we are at Longboat Key.

I hope that it will not be so crowded.

I really feel that Fifel needs to go. It just feels incredibly outdated! Plus, how easy would it be to slap on some new theming in that area - it could be the spongebob playground with a couple of months work!

I agree! USH was able to change Blastzone to Curious George in a few months, so it's not like there is no precedence for such things!

Dear Disneyfan 1313,

We will just visit Islands of adventure. We've been to Universal Studios in L.A. 3 years ago.

We will be at Islands of Adventure on nov. 19th. It's a monday. We don't have a chance to go on an other day, because we are in Fort Lauderdale after and before we are at Longboat Key.

I hope that it will not be so crowded.

Have fun! I'll be park-hopping between IOA and USF around that time! So excited!

It seems that Universal Orlando is also getting its own "Evolution Plan!"

Universal is really pulling it together! The next ten years are going to be amazing at Universal Studios!!!

Screamscape Reports:

General Resort News - (10/17/12) A report at MiceChat all about Universal Orlando starts off showing off the construction and ongoing maintenance efforts Universal has been doing in the parks and ends with some great news. They report that $1.5 Billion dollars has now been approved for future capital projects at Universal Orlando over the next 10 year, starting things off with the fast-tracked Transformers ride and then the London side of the Potterverse.

Beyond those two projects, there is an estimated $850 million leftover for future projects. The first of these have already begun to possibly surface, with rumors of a couple of Seuss ride concepts dueling for attention themed to either The Lorax or The Grinch. Something new could awaken in Jurassic Park, or Universal may choose to drop the Marvel heros and rethemed that Island. Over at the Studios, we’ve heard for some time now that T2/3D was on the chopping block, and several new plans have been envisioned to rethemed the kiddie area, and perhaps even eventually replace ET with something new. Either way, looks like the next decade is going to be bright and very busy for Universal Orlando.

It seems that Universal Orlando is also getting its own "Evolution Plan!"

Universal is really pulling it together! The next ten years are going to be amazing at Universal Studios!!!

Screamscape Reports:

General Resort News - (10/17/12) A report at MiceChat all about Universal Orlando starts off showing off the construction and ongoing maintenance efforts Universal has been doing in the parks and ends with some great news. They report that $1.5 Billion dollars has now been approved for future capital projects at Universal Orlando over the next 10 year, starting things off with the fast-tracked Transformers ride and then the London side of the Potterverse.

Beyond those two projects, there is an estimated $850 million leftover for future projects. The first of these have already begun to possibly surface, with rumors of a couple of Seuss ride concepts dueling for attention themed to either The Lorax or The Grinch. Something new could awaken in Jurassic Park, or Universal may choose to drop the Marvel heros and rethemed that Island. Over at the Studios, we’ve heard for some time now that T2/3D was on the chopping block, and several new plans have been envisioned to rethemed the kiddie area, and perhaps even eventually replace ET with something new. Either way, looks like the next decade is going to be bright and very busy for Universal Orlando.

My Guesses:

- Marvel Super Hero Island turns into a Spiderman Themed Area

- ET and Woody Woodpecker turning into a Madagascar Themed Area

- T2 replaced with a Riddick themed Film

- New Waterpark added onsite and Wet N' Wild being demolished (That's been rumored for about 5 years now)

^Riddick? My impression was that Chronicles of Riddick was pretty much a flop (although the first flick, Pitch Black, did pretty well). Or was it a bigger hit overseas than in the U.S.?

Well, Disney did do well with ElecTRONica, I guess.

Now that is exciting news! Great to see Universal, well Comcast, investing big time into the parks stateside. With them being so landlocked in comparison to WDW, it's always intriguing to see what they can pull off. It's pretty easy to picture them adapting the ride systems of either HP or Spider-man/Transformers into an attraction for a Dr. Suess property. Not sure if they would ever let go of the Marvel license in Florida. As long as the cost is reasonable to maintain that license, it makes sense to keep the marvel heroes out of WDW as the next wave of movies come out.

Edited by DBJ

^^I believe they're making another Riddick movie. Having said that, there is no way it's a popular enough franchise for a ride.

I would hope that if they decide to get rid of the Marvel area (and I can't see them doing that any time soon), there is only one thing that can replace it: SYFY SATURDAY NIGHT CINEMA LAND. Who wouldn't want to ride Sharktopus? Yeah, that's what I thought...

dt

Not to be a downer, but given that Comcast is a publicly traded company, you would think that someone outside of micechat would have reported this? For example, the money for DCA 2.0 was in the form of bonds, and news of Disney issuing those bonds was reported on all the financial websites.

Not saying it won't happen...I just wouldn't get excited just yet.

Just checking something... Sorry if I sound like a GP. Did two people fall off a roller coaster tonight at HHN tonight? My friend is frantically trying to see if his friends are ok. I really want to put him at ease. If anyone hears anything that would be great!!