TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Has anyone else seen commercials about Despicable Me stating that the ride is "Now Open"? I saw a commercial twice now, two days ago on NBC, and just now on Nick advertising the ride saying it's open. I haven't seen any news from any of the themepark sites, so I assume that this is not the case. I live in the Tampa area, has anyone else see a commercial like that?

I was reading yesterday that Disney raised the price of the Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf by $1.38 to "keep pace with the market", which makes it the most expensive mini golf course in Orlando by eclipsing Universal's new Sci-Fi Drive in mini Golf by fifteen cents.

I also read over on my churro enthusiasts forums that due to increasing costs of cinnamon, Universal is raising the price of their churros by .75 cents making their churros the most expensive churros in Orlando....

Seems like some price gouging is going on in Orlando.

There's no such thing as price gouging for a luxury product. Save the outrage for a gas station that raises prices to $10 a gallon during a disaster.

Has anyone else seen commercials about Despicable Me stating that the ride is "Now Open"? I saw a commercial twice now, two days ago on NBC, and just now on Nick advertising the ride saying it's open. I haven't seen any news from any of the themepark sites, so I assume that this is not the case. I live in the Tampa area, has anyone else see a commercial like that?

I too saw this commercial a few times. I think they ran it a bit prematurely, so much so that I saw several people yelling at team member's at the attraction's entrance claiming that they came to the park that day specifically because of the commercials. They did team member previews a few days ago, and did soft openings today and yesterday, so I think it is getting close to a full launch.

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release regarding the grand opening of their new water playground at Wet 'n Wild Orlando!

Today, Wet ‘n Wild Orlando celebrated the grand opening of its newest attraction, Blastaway Beach™ - a family-friendly, sandcastle-themed water playground. It’s expected to be the largest water playground of its kind in Florida and Wet ‘n Wild’s first new attraction in over four years.

Built around a sandcastle rising 60-feet high, Blastaway Beach™ spans an acre and features 15 slides and expands across two pools with 160 soakers, jets, waterfalls and water cannons. Designed especially for families, the new area has a single entrance and exit, creating a secluded environment that is safe and fun for all ages.

To mark the occasion, Wet ‘n Wild asked local elementary school students to submit artistic representations of Blastaway Beach™. Fifty winners were selected and invited to bring their families to enjoy the new area. Wet ‘n Wild also gave the first 35 families to enter the park free access to Wet ‘n Wild’s All-U-Can-Eat Barbeque for the day.

For more information about Blastaway Beach™, visit http://www.wetnwildorlando.com.

457859022_BlastawayBeachNOWOPEN.thumb.jpg.e61510341836748902e327d108e7be23.jpg

^If it's the same system as Jimmy Neutron, it's a 3D movie in which the seats move. (That is, there are a certain number of seats on a platform, and the platform moves.)

At least that's what I remember.

Edited by cfc

^If it's the same system as Jimmy Neutron, it's a 3D movie in which the seats move. (That is, there are a certain number of seats on a platform, and the platform moves.)

I only did it once, but that is what I remember as well. I was pretty sure this makeover from the Jimmy Neutron franchise to the Despicable Me franchise and not really a whole change in ride system (beyond possibly modernizing the mechanics). Correct me if I am wrong, of course.

Edited by ernierocker

I only did it once, but that is what I remember as well. I was pretty sure this makeover from the Jimmy Neutron franchise to the Despicable Me franchise and not really a whole change in ride system (beyond possibly modernizing the mechanics). Correct me if I am wrong, of course.

I'm almost positive you're right.

I'm almost positive you're right.

I haven't followed this makeover but I was hoping for something a little more than Jimmy Neutron. I was not a fan of that experience at all.

The main changes from Neutron to Despicable Me were the new HD projection system, renovation of the theater, and the addition of a new preshow room (there's two total now, helping with the line flow problems that Neutron had). I've heard only positive reviews, it's great to see something new for the younger crowd.

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release announcing the grand opening date for Despicable Me Minion Mayem!

Minion recruits: mark your calendars! Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, one of the most anticipated theme park attractions of 2012, will officially open at Universal Orlando Resort on July 2.

This brand-new ride combines the outrageous humor and memorable characters of Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment’s blockbuster film Despicable Me, with an all-new storyline, incredible new animation and the latest 3-D technology to create a wildly hysterical theme park experience.

Families will watch in amazement as they are transformed into minions, laugh together as they train to join Gru’s minion army and boogie down during the world’s-first minion-inspired dance party. Despicable Me Minion Mayhem is hilarious and heartwarming fun for the entire family.

The ride begins when guests enter Gru, Margo, Edith and Agnes’ home and learn they are being recruited to become minions. After picking up 3-D “minion goggles” in the living room and being scanned for “human germs” in the Minionization Prep Room, guests board Minion Transformation Pods to begin their training. Things don’t go as planned and guests find themselves on an unforgettable adventure through Gru’s lab that’s filled with laughter, chaos and tons of minions.

The ride experience is capped off with an exciting dance party where guests can show off their best moves with the minions. With a sparkling disco ball hanging overhead, the interactive celebration features large projection screens so that guests can see themselves partying with the minions to the legendary disco tune “Boogie Fever.”

Although Despicable Me Minion Mayhem officially opens on July 2, the attraction is now in technical rehearsal, meaning park guests may have the opportunity to experience the ride as a work in progress while Universal puts the finishing touches on the experience. Leading up to the grand opening, the attraction will run select days and times.

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem is located in Universal Studios Florida. For more information about Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.universalorlando.com.

1629156106_MinionTest3-DGoggles.thumb.jpg.716e5f85b351d93f1dd0e1058b5eb316.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

^ I was just reading about this news on a different site and it sounds like something major is in the works. It would make sense for them to quickly build something "new" to draw quests while construction on Potterverse 2 in going on. I don't know if the area is big enough or if it is feasible to build Transformers in that area but if they are planning on bringing Transformers to Florida they should probably do it sooner than later while the movies are still fresh in everyone's mind. Can't wait to see what they have planned.

With Potterverse 2 and potentially Transformers in the works Universal Orlando tickets will be $150 a day before 2015!

^Even with Spidey across the way it's still feasible when you consider there is going to apparently be a fourth Transformers movie. I don't think the location is out of the question, especially when you consider how they shoe-horned it into Hollywood using the elevator system between two floors of ride building.