TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

My question is this: did the ride really have "staying power" if on its final day it had no wait until the last few hours before it closed?

Nothing in the park had a wait that morning, except for Forbidden Journey. So using that logic, the entire park should be bulldozed for the Harry Potter Theme Park. Even Rockit only had a 10 minute wait. Mummy was a walk-on. There were fewer people at Disaster than Jaws, etc, etc....

Jaws still looked as good and kept up on it's final day as it did on it's opening day (or I guess I should say re-opening day!) And if you go back and read everything else I've posted, I'm personally not as sad about losing Jaws as I am sad about potentially not gaining anything that interests me.

Prior to Potterland at IOA, there wasn't a visit to the park made where I didn't spend a decent amount of time in Lost Continent. Now that Potter is there, I just walk straight through.

At Universal Studios, I would give Jaws a ride on every visit. Now my expectation is that whatever replaces it, will be another area of the park that I could care less about. I hope I'm wrong.

Like Elissa said, I had already prepared myself to lose the rest of Lost Continent to more Potter that I could care less about, but now having it spread into two major areas of two parks, I just think that's going overboard.

IMO, Jaws was a great "complimentary" attraction in the sense that it helped spread out the crowds on busy days and was actually enjoyable (unlike, say, for example, when they randomly decide to bring back Fear Factor Live during busy times), but it wasn't a star anymore.

See, I would disagree with that. I don't think you realize that it was a much bigger attraction at the Florida park than in Hollywood. When you'd do an RIP Tour at HHN, for example, it would be one of three "non-HHN" attractions that the tour guides would make sure you'd do. Mummy, MiB, and Jaws, where always the top three.

Sure, it might not have been as "top of the list" as Mummy is, but I'd put it not much farther down. It's not like the ride was Twister, Disaster, T2, or E.T., which not only doesn't get the ridership it used to, but is laughed at.

The ride held up just fine. As good as Jurassic Park does at USH, which isn't THAT much older than Jaws.

Edited by robbalvey

See, I would disagree with that. I don't think you realize that it was a much bigger attraction at the Florida park than in Hollywood. When you'd do an RIP Tour at HHN, for example, it would be one of three "non-HHN" attractions that the tour guides would make sure you'd do. Mummy, MiB, and Jaws, where always the top three.

Sure, it might not have been as "top of the list" as Mummy is, but I'd put it not much farther down. It's not like the ride was Twister, Disaster, T2, or E.T., which not only doesn't get the ridership it used to, but is laughed at.

The ride held up just fine. As good as Jurassic Park does at USH, which isn't THAT much older than Jaws.

See, that's where something doesn't add up to me: if the attraction was really that big of a deal, I don't think the park would get rid of it when other options were available (as someone else suggested in this thread: why not Disaster/San Francisco area/Beetlejuice theater right next to Jaws?). In fact, this past year, IIRC, we even had to request the night ride on Jaws be added to our RiP tour itinerary.

From my point of view (as a visitor who only gets to UO once or twice a year, if that), I would never ride Jaws if not for express or a 15 min or less wait. I thought it was a great, unique, ride that was fun if you got a good skipper. But for me personally, I never felt like waiting a long time for the chance I'd get a good skipper (FWIW, I share the same sentiment towards Jungle Cruise and the Studio Tour at USH), especially when I only get to the park so often.

^ Well, then I guess it just doesn't add up, huh?

ps. And you recall incorrectly. Jaws was only originally not included on your RIP tour this year because the group had requested Rockit instead. I had actually spoken to your tour guide personally and made sure the group was able to get on BOTH Jaws and Rockit. You're Welcome.

Edited by robbalvey

I was thinking as well that all of LC would be lost to Potter, it makes perfect sense. Except that from a crowd control point of view, I think the Jaws pad is better. Jaws was a good people mover and the new ride will have to be too. Makes sense to build more of a family thrill ride since it is replacing one. If it is Potter related and good, they will make money hand over fist on it. Potter at IOA was a bigger hit than they were expecting and Jaws was an aging and expensive attraction. I think they are only doing what they have to do. There is no way you can leave that money on the table. I was sure they wouldn't require people to buy a 2 park ticket to see Potter but they have concluded there is more money to spend. They can absolutely sell more merchandise simply by building more stores. The share holders will love it.

For me it's not looking very exciting but that's what Busch Gardens is for. It does look a little more dark ride than coaster, which probably is the right thing to build, but not the indoor Intamin woodie that I wanted.

See, that's where something doesn't add up to me: if the attraction was really that big of a deal, I don't think the park would get rid of it when other options were available (as someone else suggested in this thread: why not Disaster/San Francisco area/Beetlejuice theater right next to Jaws?).

Joey, I'm guessing we might have been over-thinking the whole thing. After you mentioned those other areas, I looked at the aerial view of the park. And after reading the "leaked" plans on another site (Sidebar: Of which the author states, "Every page is stamped 'Confidential,' so I'm not supposed to be looking at them or telling you about them, and I'm certainly not going to tell you where I got access to them, so don't even bother asking. ["But I'm still gonna post it on the site anyway."]), the Jaws site just seems like a no-brainer.

And if both the bottom line figures, and J.K. Rowling say that Potterburg will expand, then it will expand one way or another, to wherever it makes most sense. Unfortunately for many of us, Jaws just happened to make the most sense schematically and logistically speaking.

This is still just an assumption on my part, but when looking at the area, it seems to fit exactly what they need. The Jaws/Amity area doesn't really have extensive infrastructure that needs massive demolition in order to build exactly what they need from the ground up. Theoretically anyway, after flattening the area, it would appear to provide a great blank canvas to create a custom built new land, for whatever their needs, rather than trying to reconfigure the large pre-existing buildings on the other sites you mentioned.

On top of that, the location also forces people to find their way to the furthest part of the part, thus helping crowd control somewhat? And if the proposed train ride connecting both parts is true, it also seems like a fairly logical location for that addition as well, based on the rumored plans anyway.

I guess basically what I'm saying is that this was gonna happen regardless. Jaws was just an unfortunate victim of time, location, and circumstance. I doubt Universal will miss the daily operating costs or the yearly scheduled rehab costs of an outdoor water ride either.

See, that's where something doesn't add up to me: if the attraction was really that big of a deal, I don't think the park would get rid of it when other options were available (as someone else suggested in this thread: why not Disaster/San Francisco area/Beetlejuice theater right next to Jaws?).

Joey, I'm guessing we might have been over-thinking the whole thing. After you mentioned those other areas, I looked at the aerial view of the park. And after reading the "leaked" plans on another site (Sidebar: Of which the author states, "Every page is stamped 'Confidential,' so I'm not supposed to be looking at them or telling you about them, and I'm certainly not going to tell you where I got access to them, so don't even bother asking. ["But I'm still gonna post it on the site anyway."]), the Jaws site just seems like a no-brainer.

And if both the bottom line figures, and J.K. Rowling say that Potterburg will expand, then it will expand one way or another, to wherever it makes most sense. Unfortunately for many of us, Jaws just happened to make the most sense schematically and logistically speaking.

This is still just an assumption on my part, but when looking at the area, it seems to fit exactly what they need. The Jaws/Amity area doesn't really have extensive infrastructure that needs massive demolition in order to build exactly what they need from the ground up. Theoretically anyway, after flattening the area, it would appear to provide a great blank canvas to create a custom built new land, for whatever their needs, rather than trying to reconfigure the large pre-existing buildings on the other sites you mentioned.

On top of that, the location also forces people to find their way to the furthest part of the part, thus helping crowd control somewhat? And if the proposed train ride connecting both parts is true, it also seems like a fairly logical location for that addition as well, based on the rumored plans anyway.

I guess basically what I'm saying is that this was gonna happen regardless. Jaws was just an unfortunate victim of time, location, and circumstance. I doubt Universal will miss the daily operating costs or the yearly scheduled rehab costs of an outdoor water ride either.

This is all 100% correct. Jaws' attendance figures had less to do with it's removal than the prime location to expand Potter into did. Jaws sat in that "perfect corner" of the park, with two easily expendable attractions on each side of it (Disaster & Fear Factor) for possible future expansion.

I honestly believe that if MiB was sitting in that same spot, that ride would have been closed as well.

Universal seems like they'll do ANYTHING to get more Potter into the resort, even if it means sacrificing a legacy, and still fairly popular attraction. How often do any of us go through Twister, Shrek, E.T., Disaster, or T2? But I'll bet we've all done Jaws almost every visit.

I don't think they cared what ride they closed down. They cared about the plot of land they needed to put more unicorns and fairies. I would have rather seen Sinbad, Poseidon, and Mythos go (especially since Mythos is already dead to me), but that also wouldn't have forced a two-park ticket.

--Robb "And yeah, that leak of information was a pretty douchy move by that guy..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Does anyone have pictures from today? It will be interesting to see how quickly they demolish the area. I wonder if they have started the process of draining the water.

It's funny reading some of the comments about the popularity of the ride. I remember when I went with my best friend in 2008, it was my first time to the park and I saw the area and instantly fell in love with it! I believe it was August and it was HOT! There was a very long line but I made him wait while listening to him complain. I thought it was one of the coolest rides I had experienced! The next time, a few years later, I went with my family and everyone loved it! Even my mom who doesn't necessarily like rides that move! It was just a good family friendly ride that would make someone smile even if they were in a bad mood! Next time I go, it just won't be the same to walk by the area.

This new ride better be gooood!

Saw pictures over on Orlando United, most everything is still up (including the hanging shark), they've just added movie posters (Jurassic Park, American Pie, etc.) to the walls. They'll most likely stay that way until the announcement is made and they can put artwork up.

Can't say how I feel about the closing of Jaws, as I'm still pretty curious as to what the new Potter area will include and how it's going to affect both parks.

Hi Guys! First off let me start by saying I Have been a Member of the site since I was about 13, And Have always loved looking at trip reports and buying DVD's.

I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to experience Jaws for the last time, I am the skipper in the picture who looks like he is singing... and when I was pulling up to load and noticed Robb and the others waiting for my boat I about died!

thank you guys so much for coming out! I really enjoyed all of the people who went along with the script and had an awesome time!

Also Robb, I am not sure but I thought I noticed you filming my tour, Any way I could get my hands on that? Sorry for not getting to say Hello in real life! You guys ran off the unload platform while I was taking a picture!

It was nice to see and Kind of meet you in real life for the first time!

-Skipper Derek.

Hi Guys! First off let me start by saying I Have been a Member of the site since I was about 13, And Have always loved looking at trip reports and buying DVD's.

I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to experience Jaws for the last time, I am the skipper in the picture who looks like he is singing... and when I was pulling up to load and noticed Robb and the others waiting for my boat I about died!

thank you guys so much for coming out! I really enjoyed all of the people who went along with the script and had an awesome time!

Also Robb, I am not sure but I thought I noticed you filming my tour, Any way I could get my hands on that? Sorry for not getting to say Hello in real life! You guys ran off the unload platform while I was taking a picture!

It was nice to see and Kind of meet you in real life for the first time!

-Skipper Derek.

Here 'ya go Skipper Derek!

I wish I would have known you were a TPR member as I would have included it with the other videos I did. I mainly didn't use it because the lens got all dirty towards the end. Glad to know we had a fellow member as one of our skippers!

Saw pictures over on Orlando United, most everything is still up (including the hanging shark), they've just added movie posters (Jurassic Park, American Pie, etc.) to the walls. They'll most likely stay that way until the announcement is made and they can put artwork up.

Can't say how I feel about the closing of Jaws, as I'm still pretty curious as to what the new Potter area will include and how it's going to affect both parks.

Has there been any set / rumoured date for the announcement? And where will it be held? USF or USH?

I wish I would have known you were a TPR member as I would have included it with the other videos I did. I mainly didn't use it because the lens got all dirty towards the end. Glad to know we had a fellow member as one of our skippers!

No don't worry about it at all! I am just so stoked you guys came out for a Final Voyage, I'm not sure if you were there but after the final boat tour there was about 100 people gathered outside of the unload platform, we all started singing "Show me the way to go home". It was a great send off to the attraction and overall a day I will remember for the rest of my life, I am sad to see it go... But I think I wouldn't have wanted to leave any other way then we did that night.