TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Yeah, looking at the park on Google Earth, Sinbad would be the most logical location for the train station. Would be a direct shot from there to the Jaws area. And really they could do that and still keep Poseidon and Mythos unchanged, at least for now...

I hope they keep Poseidons Fury in some shape or form when Potter eventually engulfs the entire park, that was always such a unique attraction to me. I'm not a huge Potter fan and don't know the stories that well but I have to imagine they could somehow or another completely gut the Poseidon attraction and retheme it to Harry Potter somehow. The total concept of the attraction as is seems like it would be fairly easy to adapt to some type of Potter story with a wizard battle in the final room instead of Poseidon vs Darkanon. Retheme each of the chamber rooms, build a new facade of some type to cover the massive show building, write a new script for the story, then rework the final battle scene and it could be really cool.

Someone has been doing some VERY interesting work linking the Jaws removal with Harry Potter. I find this fascinating...

http://hhnrumors.com/index.php?a=148

In short, seems that a lot of people have posted on their Linked IN profiles that they are currently working on something called "Project 722" for Universal Orlando. Universal filed a permit to demolish an attraction (assuming Jaws), and lists that it's part of Project 722. The people on Linked IN who have listed Project 722 have all worked on Harry Potter projects (the films, the ride, etc) in the past.

Veeeeeerrrry interesting...

Edited by robbalvey

Just spent a few minutes checking all sources.. The permit is real, the draughtpersons (American English for a draft person, or Auto Cad designer) are real and employed. So yeah. We are definitely getting Harry Potter the squeakuel at the the former Jaws pad. Props to the original poster for being able to search on the Orlando permitting site (you had to know the permit type wild card plus the name of the company).. Good ish. Thanks original poster for figuring this out and Robb for reposting.

Very interesting indeed. Although I was hoping for something non-Potter to replace Jaws, spreading the wealth to both parks will only help the resort even more. And hey, if they were to hire Premier Rides to design an indoor Gringott's coaster with a similar/higher level of quality/thrill as Revenge of the Mummy, that would be an absolutely amazing addition. Here's hoping that is what happens

Props to the original poster for being able to search on the Orlando permitting site (you had to know the permit type wild card plus the name of the company).. Good ish. Thanks original poster for figuring this out and Robb for reposting.

Those HHN guys are use to searching for permits like that since that was their method for figuring out the name/theme of the mazes far before they were officially announced.

Sounds like there are too many co-incidences for it not to be true then, wow.

Well, for me, I'm not that excited, (am actually a little disappointed tbh...) however I know a lot of people that will go mental excited at this news.

I wonder when Universal will finally make their announcement.

Props to the original poster for being able to search on the Orlando permitting site (you had to know the permit type wild card plus the name of the company).. Good ish. Thanks original poster for figuring this out and Robb for reposting.

Those HHN guys are use to searching for permits like that since that was their method for figuring out the name/theme of the mazes far before they were officially announced.

Yeah, they've been doing it every year now for a long time...

As the days go by this idea grows on me. Im just hoping the supposed london section isn't as "magical" and fantasy-like as the current wizarding world. I think thats one way to keep it balance, keep most if all of the magical-ness in IOA and have the studio section be made in the likes of NYC and hollywood.

As for the meaning behind the 722 codename... it could just be nonsense... or on a hunch I did pull out a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows to see what it had to say on Page 722. Sure enough... there is a line about being in King’s Cross where it would be possible to board a train. Of course I may just be reading a bit too much into that, but you never know.

From Screamscape. Could '722' be this or the Gringotts vault that has already been talked about? Discuss!

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't think Universal would require a 2 park pass to see Potter. I guess they have fugured that those folks still have money to spend above the current offerings. The merchandise sales have been awesome so they are probably on to something...and it will obviously help with crowd control unlike HRRR.

The bank chase ride, although cool sounding, seems very similar to Mummy. Can they build another coaster /dark ride and have it be unique enough?

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't think Universal would require a 2 park pass to see Potter. I guess they have fugured that those folks still have money to spend above the current offerings. The merchandise sales have been awesome so they are probably on to something...and it will obviously help with crowd control unlike HRRR.

The bank chase ride, although cool sounding, seems very similar to Mummy. Can they build another coaster /dark ride and have it be unique enough?

I agree. When they tore down Dueling Dragons for Harry Potter, they chose to build a very similar ride in the same location called Dragon Challenge. Since then, the wait for the new ride is typically only 10 minutes, compared to 60 minutes when the previous ride was there.

Kidding aside, I see the concern. While there had been rumors of having a Transformers ride in Universal with the same technology as Spiderman, this would make even less sense if both indoor coasters were in the same park.

If they do a Gringotts coaster, I hope it will be more themed than ROTM. That was always the one complaint I had about USF's mummy was that several sections of the darkride ride were obviously unthemed or had theming gaps...they were extremely obvious and really took away from the experience (hence why I prefer USH's more "flowing" version of mummy).

I agree. When they tore down Dueling Dragons for Harry Potter, they chose to build a very similar ride in the same location called Dragon Challenge. Since then, the wait for the new ride is typically only 10 minutes, compared to 60 minutes when the previous ride was there.

Kidding aside, I see the concern. While there had been rumors of having a Transformers ride in Universal with the same technology as Spiderman, this would make even less sense if both indoor coasters were in the same park.

I don't think it's a huge issue if there were two indoor coasters, honestly. To enthusiasts, it seems weird, but take Shrek and Terminator for example. They're VERY different rides, but both 4-D or whatever they're called. I think it depends what your theme is, your layout, trains, even coaster type. Maybe they do an indoor inverted. To the GP, they won't think "Oh, that's dumb... there are two different indoor coasters here." They'll just be excited that Potter is here.

^Yeah I don't think having two indoor coasters will be a big deal at all, especially since it will likely be a highly themed interactive indoor type coaster experience and will be very different that The Mummy. I remember originally hearing the Gringotts bank coaster rumors part of an expansion planned for IOA, if it is now going into the Studios I wonder what kind of new attraction they have planned for IOA.....

A third coaster at Universal would be great no matter what it was...but, it seems like with so few opportunities to create variety that they would consider something else. Maybe JK could loosen up a little and have the bank chase be on a wooden track. A highly themed full sized indoor woodie would be very cool. It will be pretty interesting to see what they end up with. I can't think of any other Potter related rides besides the bank dealy...and I have read all the books. Maybe a launcher based on the floo powder network. An outdoor coaster is out of the question IMO.

A multi launching coaster/dark ride that took you to the other iconic places from the books where you travel from place to place using the floo powder network. That could be a cool ride. You will presumably be protecting Harry in some way.

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't think Universal would require a 2 park pass to see Potter.

Financially, it's brilliant. And if Potter is as big in 4-5 years as it is now, it just forces people to go to both parks, and even stay on property multiple days.

Can they build another coaster /dark ride and have it be unique enough?

Well, they have FOUR 3D/4D/Simulator rides all in the same park - Shrek, Simpsons, T2, and what will soon be Despicable Me. I'm going to make the assumption if a park can have that many movie-based simulator rides that all still get long lines, another indoor roller coaster would do just fine. Especially if it turns out to be good.

If they do a Gringotts coaster, I hope it will be more themed than ROTM. That was always the one complaint I had about USF's mummy was that several sections of the darkride ride were obviously unthemed or had theming gaps...they were extremely obvious and really took away from the experience (hence why I prefer USH's more "flowing" version of mummy).

I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that...

I wonder what kind of new attraction they have planned for IOA.....

I'll give you three guesses, and all of them should include the words "Harry" and "Potter" in them.

A third coaster at Universal would be great no matter what it was...

Fourth coaster! They already have three!

Edited by robbalvey