TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I really don't think this has anything to do with Potter Land. Yes, Potter did bring in massive crowds, and there is opportunity to cash in on it even more, but I just don't think they would put it in a separate park. Potter Land is a pretty cohesive design, and even expanding it further into Lost Continent would screw up the layout a bit.

Really I don't think any of us at this point have any idea what will be built there.

I think the studio parks should be all about movies, especially the classic ones. There are plenty of old titles that can be reborn with a new high tech attraction.

Except that Jaws has always has a line when we've gone, even during Horror Nights. Remember, we used our express passes for it this year because the line was at least 20 minutes.

That's the thing though...a line doesn't automatically signify it is popular. People can wait an hour and then still give it low scores on the surveys.

I'm totally with you though...I probably won't get excited for this expansion unless it is a kick A$$ credit, as I enjoyed Jaws with a good skipper. I would always ride it w/ express passes or a short wait. Your comparison to Jungle Cruise/Pirates is spot on. By taking out Jaws, the studios park loses a big part of its original identity.

this is, in my mind, what really separates Universal from Disney. Disney has created rides that have become "untouchable" and sacred, where as US, i feel that nothing is sacred. Its only a matter of time till its popularity dies off and its replaced with something newer. But I credit this to Disney actually caring and making an attempt to grow their brand. Not to mention, they've always been the sole owners of their products, and are not just a smaller part of a larger conglomerate like Universal is.

This got me thinking, does Universal really have any bankable franchises these days to use at their parks? Harry Potter's from Warner Bros, The Simpsons are a Fox property, and Transformers was a Dreamworks/Paramount venture. The only Modern Universal franchise I can think of is Mummy. Can we really call the place Universal anymore?

The Fast & Furious, Bourne, and Jurassic Park franchises have upcoming sequels, and only one has a serious theme park presence in Florida.

I think the Fast & Furious would be an awesome basis for a thrill ride.

Considering all those slow-motion "tunnel" effects they did during the drag races for the

first couple of films -- it could make a great ride.

Fast Five grossed $625 miillion worldwide, making it #55 on the world's highest grossing films of all time. The sixth film is already in production. So it would be a logical addition to their theme park as that franchise is current and strong.

I think Bourne could do a Indiana Jones-style stunt show really well, but I don't think it would work very well as a themed ride.

I personally will miss Jaws -- although, it really needed a rehab/update. The fire effects and leaking fluids of Jaws also created huge environmental problems. The DEP has been on their case since the ride opened -- and the ride was always troubleprone, which is why it took so long to run on daily basis (built in 1990, but didn't operate completely until 1993 -- Universal even sued the ride's designer: Ride and Show Engineering).

DEP going after Universal because of Jaws:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1995-06-15/news/9506150137_1_hydraulic-fluid-industrial-wastewater-stormwater-ponds

Edited by O-Town77

I rode the ride when I was very very little, and it scared me so bad, that when I rode it in February earlier this year, I found it to be very lame and boring. Maybe I just had a really bad captain, but I think the people that get a real kick out of the ride probably are SUPER Jaws fans or little kids that actually get scared. I'm all for replacing it with something, anything. I love Universal Studios more than Islands of Adventure...

PS. I'm glad they removed Jaws instead of E.T. Still one of the best rides ever.

Just some random thoughts to share-

In order, the highest grossing films of all time (not adjusted for inflation) that don't have a theme park attraction or aren't currently slated to build one are-

Titanic (water)

Lord of the R i n g s (never saw a film or read a book but I bet this would be a huge hit)

Inception (great film, but maybe too adult or specific for a theme park)

Independence Day (that ship has sailed)

2012 (that film was really a hit? )

Davinci Code (not a theme park ride)

Matrix (awesome but too dated)

Twilight (phuck)

So just off the top of my head, if not a harry potter expansion, they are building a *Twilight* or Lord of the Ri ngs Ride.

Adjusting for inflation and remembering that a clip of 'Gone With the Wind' plays in the Great Movie Ride, the highest grossing film of all time without a theme park attraction is...The Sound of Music! But the Von Trapps already own a ski resort...so let's move on. Next up...well #5, The 10 Commandments has a scene on the USH Backlot tour...then comes Titanic and oddly enough after that comes JAWS! The we've got Dr. Zhivago, The Jungle Book, and the 1959 version of Ben-Hur (is that on the backlot tour?). My personal favorite out of the Top 50 is #48, Blazing Saddles - that would make a great name for a floorless coaster...

I doubt its going to be Transformers. As far as Harry Potter Expansion. Yes it makes sense to make it 2 days. But really more Harry??? I mean its not star wars where in 10 years, we will still be quoting the movie.

Really? You realize that it's been almost 15 years since the first book came out already (and 10 years since the first movie). With a franchise that large with seven books in the series and eight movies, plus scores of additional books around the subject, HP has proven staying power over the long term. 1 million people registered for Pottermore the day it started Beta Testing and it is currently so popular it has to keep shutting down and getting rebuilt to handle the influx of visitors.

Cool checking this out....So if for some reason this whole thing ends up being Harry Potter 2 (rise of the wands), I'm going on record stating that they will use an underground station as a transition element and the train itself will be nothing more than hd screens as windows and interactive elements. This would be the only way they could transport guests from Potter to Jaws and it not break the bank.

But the argument against this whole thing is if Hogwarts Express only goes from the real world to the Wizard World, than I'd expect Potternuts to be up in arms that train ride goes against everything in their books. Thoughts?

Cool checking this out....So if for some reason this whole thing ends up being Harry Potter 2 (rise of the wands), I'm going on record stating that they will use an underground station as a transition element and the train itself will be nothing more than hd screens as windows and interactive elements. This would be the only way they could transport guests from Potter to Jaws and it not break the bank.

You can't really do much 'underground' in Central Florida due to the water table. The MK's 'tunnels' are actually at ground level and most of the MK is actually 10 - 20 feet above the real ground -- kind of like downtown Chicago!

One would assume that there are trains that travel to other destinations in the Wizard World - otherwise the Candy Trolley lady would only work maybe 8 days a year

I seriously hope that it is something completely new and not related to HP. I like Universal the way it is and can't imagine that whole themed area as HP.

It fits at IOA since each Island has a complete theme to it that contrasts the other. For US, it seems everything blends and flows together nicely with how they have it set up. Maybe this is the year I switch my annual pass to a platinum pass for the Busch Parks.

I haven't been to IoA since the Potter overhaul so I'm probably not the best person to comment, but I just don't like the idea of having another Potter area in the other park. No matter how they interconnect the areas and make a lovely story, I just can't see it as anything more than a money grabbing attempt to stretch out the franchise even more.

Dave

I really don't want to see another Potter area in USF, keep it to IOA and more likely expand it out into Lost Continent or (dare I say it?) the massive amount of Land Dueling Dragons sits on. While I don't want Dragons going anywhere, the ride has lost its two most immersive aspects (queue theming and dueling).

As for Jaws...at this point I have absolutely no idea what they plan to do. That is an absolutely massive plot of land to work with... but seeing as they already have the water...I'd think completely razing the area and starting over would be a bit expensive...

Things People Suggested/My Opinions

HP Land Expansion: Like I said above, I'm not really digging the idea of HP coming to USF, keep it to IOA...

Transformers: Leveling the land seems a bit unrealistic at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up where T2:3D is in a few years instead, as that area of the park is a little lacking...

Lord Of The Rings: This would be very interesting...the only thing is how would they utilize the space and the terrain currently there/if not, what in the world would the ride be?

Weird thing is, the second I started thinking of a replacement for Jaws, the first thing I came up with was King Kong. People were pretty upset when it got taken out, and even though Mummy replaced it, I'm sure a lot of people still miss it...

So why not bring back Kong as a water ride and have some tie in from the most recent movie like USH did for the tram tour? While I admit the idea is pretty convoluted, I think it would be very successful if done right. The USH Kong had massive crowds when it opened, and it was just an add-on to the tram...so what if FL re-built a full on attraction for him? Just an idea...