TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

It's true that many guests only seem to care about WWOHP now, but that just means shorter lines at the other attractions. Not sure why anyone would complain about that.

RANT!

(Potterfans don't read this!) Wizarding World has really killed IOA. Its like nothing else matters here BUT Potterland. We spent an hour looking for an open drink stand, open rides, and almost any signs of "IOA" outside of Potterland. Really sad to see one of our favourite parks be transformed into something we are not even "meh" about now.

END RANT

No offense, but your rant doesn't even make any sense. How did you spend an entire hour looking for open rides? Most of the park's attractions are open. Did they all break at the same time? That's extremely unusual if they did, and not indicative of anything. If you had trouble finding food & drink locations, this is nothing new for IOA during the offseason. Entire restaurants have been shuttered in the past, long before Wizarding World was even built. And I'm not sure what you mean by "signs of IOA."

It seems like the Wisconsining...I mean Wizarding World of Vin...Harry Potter will wipe out a lot of traffic throughout the park. It's like it's built to a standard the rest of the park (save for Spider-Man and maybe Bilge-Rat Barges) can't get up to.

While the focus is certainly on WWOHP other parts of the park have seen improvements after the Wizarding World opened up its gates. The water vortex at poseidon's fury was turned back on, the long shuttered Triceratops Encounter returned as a seasonal attraction, the fog effect returned on Doctor Doom and next year will see Spiderman getting its technological updates.

So when did they let Mythos start looking run down?

Here's what it looked like two years ago:

Here is what it looked like today:

It just looks terrible with all that mold!

The park today was REALLY disappointing.

RANT!

(Potterfans don't read this!) Wizarding World has really killed IOA. Its like nothing else matters here BUT Potterland. We spent an hour looking for an open drink stand, open rides, and almost any signs of "IOA" outside of Potterland. Really sad to see one of our favourite parks be transformed into something we are not even "meh" about now.

END RANT

I was also at the park on Thursday, but I just did a quick ride on Hulk and then went and marathoned Dragons for an hour. What else was closed?

And you're absolutely right about the park being 100% based on Potterworld. I have a few friends who work in the park, and employees that work in Potterworld have to take a Potterworld test to show their knowledge of Harry Potter and everything to do with the book series. Employees must score an 85% or higher in order to work in Wizarding World. Landing a job in Wizarding World also pays a little more, an additional 25-75 cents an hour, depending on position. So basically, what ends up happening, is that the more competent employees are ALL together in Wizarding World, while the less competent employees run the rest of the park. This is very obvious sometimes, as Hulk has some pretty sporadic operations such as occasional train-stacking or empty seats or whole rows going out due to the station queue attendant not knowing how to send 4 guests to each row. Also, there's always a CRAPLOAD of people in that little narrow area of the park, and it's such a hassle to get to the entrance to Dragons when you have to dodge insane people trying to take a picture in front of the damn train or every single building. It really turns the rest of the park, especially the back areas like Jurassic Park, into a ghost town.

I really still feel like Wizarding World would have been a better fit for the Universal Studios side of the park. I know that the area is themed to an IOA level, but it just really throws off a once perfectly-balanced park and took away some of the best theming the park had to offer.

No offense, but your rant doesn't even make any sense.

^ No offense, but could you have been more of a douchebag with your response? Oh, wait, no you couldn't have been.

At least I had something legitimate to say beyond name calling. You? Not so much.

Oh, and to answer your question, that would be a definitive yes.

^ I think you took his "couldn't find anything" response too literally.

I also have to agree with all the focus being on Wizarding World, because when I went this past summer, Forbidden Journey had a three hour line, when Jurassic Park's wait was a mere ten minutes...

I also noticed about 3-4 eateries around the park that were not in operation. Which really surprised me considering that there were some substantial crowds...

You complain about his name calling, but then post this and just further back up what Robb posted.

It is a shame to see a great park be reduced to the state it is in. Hopefully, they are just going through a down cycle and will get it turned around.

Regarding Potter, I'd say give it a few years so the novelty can wear off a bit, then the park might return to the way it was. Assuming they don't keep expanding that area. Reminds me of Cedar Point in 2003 when TTD was built, that's what the park was all about and where people mainly congregated all the time. Now it's just like any other ride.

I'm not ashamed to admit I enjoyed all of the Harry Potter movies (never read the books) and that I do like the area, all things considered. Even so, it's still very difficult to enjoy that section because of how crowded and borderline annoying it is. I would recommend to anyone planning a visit mainly to see the Wizarding World, that you stay on-site and take advantage of the hour-early access. That's basically the only time I went to that area, because any time during the day it felt more like a chore.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

No offense, but your rant doesn't even make any sense.

^ No offense, but could you have been more of a douchebag with your response? Oh, wait, no you couldn't have been.

At least I had something legitimate to say beyond name calling. You? Not so much.

Your attitude sucks. It always has. We had a legitimately disappointing day at the park, and we posted about it. That is all. Perhaps you're just an IOA fanboy or somethig, I dunno. All I know is that I'm not going to tolerate you speaking to me like you did, and I certainly don't want your shitty attitude showing up to one of our events. You're banned for bring a douchebag. 'Nuff said.

My review: production value is amazing, but the scares are BORING. Too much "pop out, reset" and not enough actual scaring. Thought Bill & Teds was real hit and miss: funny as hell when it worked, but also felt real forced in some points (especially the ending). My top three were: Holidays of Horror, Nevermore, and The Forsaken.

You think Mythos looks bad...take a look at the menu! It's terrifying! They've downgraded it to be about as generic as possible. None of the signature items are left. You can definitely tell there was a directive to cut costs on the menu.

^It's an occupational hazard of the industry. In fact, you can say that putting them in confined spaces and telling them to stay there actually makes their job more dangerous. Not all the performers have "trap doors" they can hide behind, so the majority are left open to being cornered by guests and not having the luxury of a big room/space to run away.

I personally just think that is the creative direction of the event. Try to wow the guests with really good looking sets, so all they have to do is basic startle scares to get the job done. It's totally boring to me.

To see what the haunt industry is doing with innovative scare tactics, you have to go to haunts that are not at theme parks where they can get away with touching you, making you crawl, putting you in rooms that flip back and forth, etc. If anyone lives near Atlanta, check out Netherworld to see stuff that I wish HHN would be able to do, but they never will.

Thanks! I'll need to put that on my bucket list. I would much rather get a bunch of scares.