TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

I was able to go to HHN on both Friday and Saturday nights. While I still need to do the Saws and Steam and HR Bloodengutz houses, the other 6 I did walk through were all great. I really get into extensive set design, and the 6 I saw were all great.

I also saw Bill and Ted on Saturday night. Now, I have seen this show probably 10 different times over the years, and I can understand the challenge in trying to keep it fresh every year. Yes, the set was great this year. The pre-show video was very funny. But then the show started.

Honestly, it just was not funny. After hearing the cast say sh*t or b*tch for the 20th time, I just didn't see the humor at all. I think the problem is who they are trying to appeal to. Is it the rabid fan boys who love ANYTHING comic book related? If so, they did a Sucker Punch parody. (A movie I didn't see.) And Green Hornet (another film I didn't see.)

Is it the average tourist in town for a holiday? They did a Twilight/True Blood parody.

Is it the person seeking political humor? They had Sarah Palin, Barack Obama, and George W Bush.

Where was Bridesmaids? Pirates of the Caribbean? Transformers? Planet of the Apes? There were so many other memorable characters and movies they could have chosen.

But the real problem was the villian. I THINK It was a made up character, a green martian of sorts that reminded me of The Great Gazoo from the Flintsones. But I wasn't sure. It just made no sense.

And then the show ends with Charlie Sheen. He WAS in the news a few months ago, and I understand the show has to be written and rehearsed months before HHN opens. But it just seemed dated.

But the real problem for me is the show was just not funny.

Just my opinion!

Gazoo.jpg.e97e35bcf80bce98610f7b20a36ceab0.jpg

Was this the villian? Maybe?

How were the crowds this past weekend? I'm going this Saturday and am hoping for the best, I know it's a Saturday but I'm hoping it will be bearable since it's still fairly early in the season. With the Scream Early ticket adder I'm hoping to get the rides in during the day the though most of the houses when the event opens.

How were the crowds this past weekend? I'm going this Saturday and am hoping for the best, I know it's a Saturday but I'm hoping it will be bearable since it's still fairly early in the season. With the Scream Early ticket adder I'm hoping to get the rides in during the day the though most of the houses when the event opens.

I started going into the houses at 9pm on Friday and got in line for the last one exactly at midnight. Didn't get to do Bill and Ted yet. You'll be able to do everything if you get there early.

Anyone who knows me knows that I get scared at these events really easily, but the timing of the scares was so off in every house for me. I'm ok with that, since I'll definitely be going a few more times, and it actually gave me some time to take in the theming and detail of everything.

Whats the best video to expierence the full ride from our computers?

I´v been trying to find some, but they are all very very dark. I know theres gotta be a good one.

any recomendation?

There were some videos on Screamscape last year, shortly after the opening, that showed some portions of the ride with the lights on.

As a lover of Universal Studios, I still cannot get over how terrible and dated Twister: Ride It Out is. When are they going to get rid of this? Surely it has to be number one on the list to be replaced?

However, it does draw crowds, poor saps have no idea how terrible it is !

Any ideas and what you would replace it with?

As a lover of Universal Studios, I still cannot get over how terrible and dated Twister: Ride It Out is. When are they going to get rid of this? Surely it has to be number one on the list to be replaced?

However, it does draw crowds . . .

You may have answered your own question. It's one of those attractions that's fun once, but that's about it.

Wasn't there a rumor going around saying that Universal was possibly making a second Twister movie?

If so, I can see them revamping the whole attraction and re-launching it with the movie, and it would most likely cost less than razing the whole attraction and starting from scatch inside the building.

I partially disagree with you about it being terrible. Despite it claiming to be a ride, it's just a special effects show and a pretty impressive one at that. With Shrek and Jimmy Neutron (well...for now) next door, it's nice to be able to watch physical effects before you rather than a screen. Ergo, I never pass it up whenever I visit (plus, I love the first time viewers reaction to the floor dropping).

However, I must agree that it is getting dated and I wouldn't mind it retiring as long as there is something just as impressive to replace it with.

I spent Saturday at the Universal Orlando Resort and took in HHN21. Here are some of my thoughts on the event.

We bought the Scream Early ticket option which allows entry into the Studios at 2pm and allows you to stay in the park after the 5pm closing time while they change over for HHN. This ticket is a great deal, we got 2 rides on Rockit, and one ride on Mummy, Simpsons, MIB, and Jaws before the park closed for the day. After the park closes at 5pm we were allowed to wait inside of the Irish pub restaurant near the Blues Brother stage where we grabbed a sandwich and a few beers. Just after 6:00 they let everyone waiting in the park out to start hitting the houses. Here are my reviews in somewhat of an order from best to worst.

The In-Between- Really fun house, not super scary but the 3-D visuals were amazing! A lot of fun, my favorite this year.

Winter's Night- Amazing sets and great atmosphere, had a few really good scares as well

The Thing- Another solid house with great sets. Some of the costumes in here were fantastic

H.R. BloodNGutz Holidays of Horror- We went through this house early in the night while it was still light outside so that ruined some of the scares, but it was kind of fun walking through a house while it was light and you could see all of the detail. I thought this was by far the most creative house of the event and was a lot of fun.

Saws N Steam- This house was cool, but just okay. Not a lot of scares, some cool sets and all but nothing to amazing.

Nightingales- Another superb house as far as sets, costumes and visual effects go but not a lot scares. Also the group of people in front of us were ridiculous and kind of ruined the house for our group.

Nevermore- I liked the sets and costumes in this house but it really didn't have any great scares. The big 2-story room with Poe standing on the balcony was one of the best rooms at the event but the house was just kind meh

Forsaken- This was one of the houses that I was most looking forward to but it turned out to probably be the wort at the event. It was a long house but seemed like there wasn't enough actors to keep it interesting. The large 2 story room again like Poe was really impressive and probably the best room at the whole event but the house as a whole again was kinda meh. The last room was a really cool effect but didn't really have an scares.

The scare zones this year were pathetic in my opinion, the Grown Evil and 7 zones were the only ones that even halfway resembled a decent scare zone. The dark maze thing was just kinda awkward, people in all black robes just moving around swinging gates and not even attempting to scare people. The Canyon of Souls was just a couple of stilts guys in a narrow walkway with fog. The acid assault zone was too spread out and the whore alley, I mean Your Luck has run out was just okay. Not nearly as much interaction in the scare zones this year compared to years past.

The Death Drums show was kind of cool, but they put it in a HORRIBLE location. It was too dark to see the dancers and while the show was going on and it completly congested traffic to a complete stand still in that section while the show was going on. Trying to watch dancers at street level in a standing room only audience is practically impossible if your not in the first couple rows of people. The show seemed cool but could have been executed a little better.

The Bill and ted Show was just okay again. Better than last year but not nearly as good as any other year that I have seen. I don't know why they have gotten away from using a real villain from a movie or pop culture as the villain for the show, but this years villain was just kinda weird and not really that funny. The show did have some good jokes but it seemed like the crowd as a whole just wasn't as into it as years past.

Did anyone else notice a lot of water used houses this year? It felt like there was a water effect in just about every house. Also it seemed like the streets were really missing the atmosphere that the event has had in the past.

Still a great overall event even though this year wasn't their best. Looking forward to Halloscreams in a few weeks.

Personally I think Universal could do something so much better with Twister and Disaster, I like shows and all, but the amount of pre-shows you have to go through for each of them is just ridiculous, I'm also disappointed with the screens on Disaster where you've got this "director" going "okay now scream, look scared," the entire time I'm just like, oh my god shut up and let me enjoy the fire!