TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^I agree about the Poe maze, but I'm intrigued by The Foresaken and Holidays of Horror, too.

Overall, it looks like a good lineup, but I am a bit worried about the Thing--that one didn't work so well a few years back.

Edited by cfc

The scarezones definitely seem more interesting the houses this year.

Mazerunner reminds me of the original Run house. Although, I could see this becoming a problem on peak nights, interested to see how they pull this off.

If Acid Assault is the scarezone in New York, I believe it will be using 3d projectionss on the building facades.

Does the Poe house sound like a rehash of the Norman Bates/Psycho houses to anyone else?

Winter's Night -- Soundstage 22

The Thing & Nightingales -- Soundstage 23

The Forsaken -- Parade Building

The Inbetween -- Sprung 1

Nevermore -- Sprung 2

Saws n' Steam -- Jaws queue

Holidays of Horror -- Disaster! queue

Something seems odd....if The Thing is being advertised as a "cold" house and Winter's Night description is "as snow falls" wouldn't they both be in the same Soundstage?

Plus when I drove to the parks on Tuesday morning I took the side road along Hard Rock Hotel. The parade building door was up and you can clearly see that the Mardi Gras Floats are still located inside. Early September would seem kind of late to start construction on a house.

I am not calling you out just making some observations

Meh... Hollywood's sounds better IMO. Ha... I didn't realize, but if you count the terror tram as a maze you guys only have one more than us. Kinda curious to see where the REALLY COLORFUL demon pics are part of though. Also kinda surprised none of this seems to have to do with chance... but I could be wrong.

You've obviously never been to Orlando's HHN before, have you?

If lady luck would have it, I give up my soul just to be able to go to HHN. I've always wanted to go because I love me some haunted houses. I wish there was more where I lived. Anyways I think the Poe and the scare zones sound best. And for the people who are complaining, at least they didn't just re-use Jason or Freddy.

I have been the last 2 years, and I have loved the event. This year looks awesome, and there are quite a few houses and scarezones that really intrigue me. I honestly can't wait to see them all, the only one I'm not excited for is "The Thing" but thats more because I hate that they made another film. So anybody want to do any kind of meet up this year? I'll be there opening weekend for sure!

Meh... Hollywood's sounds better IMO. Ha... I didn't realize, but if you count the terror tram as a maze you guys only have one more than us. Kinda curious to see where the REALLY COLORFUL demon pics are part of though. Also kinda surprised none of this seems to have to do with chance... but I could be wrong.

I personally haven't but one of my best friends has been many times and I get the same thing from him every year. The event itself is awesome... the detail is better than you will find anywhere and the atmosphere is better... BUT(this is the big thing) he said that the mazes in Hollywood are scarier as a whole. I understand it is AWESOME to have such a HUGE event and I realize how much creativity goes into making 8 unique houses and scarezones and I applaud them for that. But Horror Nights Hollywood made a HUGE leap this year with Alice Cooper and La Lorena... both at least semi original concepts as they don't necessarily follow a specific film allowing John to try some new things. Lastly I have seen footage from HHN Orlando 2008 from inside a few of the houses and while the actors are doing a good job jumping out that seems to be kind of all they do. At HHN Hollywood last year for example Jason ran out of his hiding area and charges at you with his machete... he doesn't just pop out but instead interacts with the "audience" and it is this regard that our event seems "better." That is not saying if someone offered me a ticket I wouldn't jump on the next plane to Orlando ASAP... but based on observation and from what I have heard it seems to me that HHN Hollywood offers better "scare for your buck"... but lacks the space to pull of an event as impressive as HHN Orlando.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but, I'm glad to see Hollywood Rockit is finally open during the event. Don't remember it being open last year and I know it wasn't open during HHN it's first year, but glad it's on the officially announced lineup this year.

I'm pretty pleased with the listed houses, they all sounds great to me. A little disappointed that there isn't a better second show like Brushwood or Rocky Horror Live, but I'll give the Death Drums thing a chance. It's pretty hard to be critical of the event as a whole, I thought last year overall was one of the worst HHN's that I've been too, but it was still better then every other Halloween event in the country. Gonna be fun.

There has been some pretty good material in the pop cultural world this year so hopefully Bill and Ted won't suck (hoping for some Casey Anthony Jokes ).

I personally haven't but one of my best friends has been many times and I get the same thing from him every year. The event itself is awesome... the detail is better than you will find anywhere and the atmosphere is better... BUT(this is the big thing) he said that the mazes in Hollywood are scarier as a whole. I understand it is AWESOME to have such a HUGE event and I realize how much creativity goes into making 8 unique houses and scarezones and I applaud them for that. But Horror Nights Hollywood made a HUGE leap this year with Alice Cooper and La Lorena... both at least semi original concepts as they don't necessarily follow a specific film allowing John to try some new things. Lastly I have seen footage from HHN Orlando 2008 from inside a few of the houses and while the actors are doing a good job jumping out that seems to be kind of all they do. At HHN Hollywood last year for example Jason ran out of his hiding area and charges at you with his machete... he doesn't just pop out but instead interacts with the "audience" and it is this regard that our event seems "better." That is not saying if someone offered me a ticket I wouldn't jump on the next plane to Orlando ASAP... but based on observation and from what I have heard it seems to me that HHN Hollywood offers better "scare for your buck"... but lacks the space to pull of an event as impressive as HHN Orlando.

There might be opinions from friends and horribly shot shakycam videos of the houses, but don't knock the event on this side of the states till you've tried it.

Having tried both events these past years, HHN Orlando still brings alot more scares out of the past years I've gone. Hollywood is doing a fantastic job, and Murdy is a great director of creative over there, but I haven't really seen it come to the caliber and scale of Orlando. (and I don't just mean in sets and scale-wise)

There's a reason why Orlando scareactors use "boo and skidoo" tactics (ie "they just pop out.") It's their safe scaring policy, put into place because the event has an unfortunate history of violent & troublesome guests. Even though it's a dry event, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Hollywood is forced to create similar safety policies. HHN Orlando has changed quite a bit over time. The scareactors were originally allowed to touch you.

^^^ Huh? I've been to almost every HHN in Orlando since the first one and don't remember them ever touching you.

Tyler - I gotta disagree with you. I'm super excited for the theme - she reminds me quite a bit of the director who was my favorite icon of the past. The houses also seem pretty cool and I love the fact they aren't throwing Jack or a past icon in somewhere.. its all new (with the exception of Thing).

Eh - who knows though. We will see after the first night!

So in other words: "Since I can't go to HHN in Orlando, I am going to say the one I can go to is much better!"