TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

I'm really looking forward to this. As long as this isn't half-assed (and I have no reason to believe it would be), I imagine it will be great. I love mini golf, even though I'm not great at it.

This goes for me too. I'm horrible at it as are most of my friends (we never actually keep any type of score when we play) so having all these other elements along the course is great!

Does this mean they will be moving the valet parking?

As far as everyone knows, no they will not be moving it but when it is all said and done we shall see. Personally, I am very excited that Universal is not only doing mini golf, but also in the 50s SciFi B movie theme.

Of course there are already haters out there inquiring about the parking situation (charges) for the course alone but leave it be...Universal is doing something new...lets enjoy the moment

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-orlando-earnings-20110513,0,7688564.story

Harry Potter's magic shows no signs off wearing off at Universal Orlando.

Universal announced Friday that attendance soared 68 percent during the first three months of the year — the biggest increase yet in a series of record attendance gains the resort has reported since opening its wildly popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter last June.

The big crowds fueled a dramatic financial rebound for Orlando's No. 2 theme-park resort, which posted a $45.8 million profit for the quarter — after losing $36.4 million a year ago.

"We are very happy with how our year has started, and we are going to work to maintain that momentum as we move forward," Universal Orlando President Bill Davis said in a prepared statement. "We continue to see excitement for everything we offer — from attraction experiences to special events, such as Mardi Gras."

Combined attendance between Universal Studios Florida and Universal's Islands of Adventure — home to Wizarding World — rose by 1.1 million visitors for the January-through-March quarter, from 1.7 million a year earlier to 2.8 million.

Those visitors continued to spend richly on mugs of butterbeer, magic wands and other Potter-themed food and souvenirs: Universal said per-capita guest spending jumped 17 percent during the quarter compared with the same period last year.

Ticket sales rose 85 percent to $159.3 million. Food-and-beverage sales leapt 104 percent to $33.6 million. And merchandise sales skyrocketed 156 percent to $42.7 million.

Universal's total revenue nearly doubled for the quarter, to $309 million.

The results benefitted from a quirk in Universal's fiscal calendar that gave this year's first quarter three more days than last year's first quarter had.

The turnaround comes as executives at Comcast Corp. negotiate a possible purchase of the resort. The Philadelphia-based cable-TV giant, which earlier this year acquired Universal co-owner NBCUniversal, has until next month to decide on an opportunity to buy the other half of the resort from the private-equity firm Blackstone Group.

The only thing I wonder is: How long will it last? With the final movie premiering in a month, and no sequels (Movie or Books) planned, when will the popularity run out? The series is cool and all, but I'm not sure the popularity will be as sustaining as say, Jurassic Park. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but in 10 years, I don't think I'll be looking back at the HP movies and saying, "OMG, those movies were incredible!"

^Exactly. It's popularity spans from people young and old, which means the books will continued to be read generations from now. While, I do believe the novelty will wear off of having a Harry Potter World, it will stay popular for years to come.

While I don't doubt that the numbers are legit, I was there in feb and the place was dead. We were able to do both parks in a single day. Maybe we got lucky, but to contrast Disney was crowded all four days we were there. I will say that I saw people leaving with bags and bags of HP merchandise, hell I even contributed to those sale numbers

The only thing I wonder is: How long will it last? With the final movie premiering in a month, and no sequels (Movie or Books) planned, when will the popularity run out? The series is cool and all, but I'm not sure the popularity will be as sustaining as say, Jurassic Park. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but in 10 years, I don't think I'll be looking back at the HP movies and saying, "OMG, those movies were incredible!"

I agree about the Potter movies (which I do think are entertaining), and I feel the same way about the Jurassic Park flicks.

While I don't doubt that the numbers are legit, I was there in feb and the place was dead. We were able to do both parks in a single day. Maybe we got lucky, but to contrast Disney was crowded all four days we were there. I will say that I saw people leaving with bags and bags of HP merchandise, hell I even contributed to those sale numbers

February is kind of their "off" season. I was there also - The rest of the parks were less busy (shorter waits ) but WWOHP was PACKED. Packed to the point of annoying. We went in, rode the Dragons, watched the British kids sing, got a butterbeer and went back to the other side of the park.

Rule of thumb regarding this type of question: If your product (book, movie, cartoon, etc.) crosses over into being a "franchise," then transforming it into theme park form will equal long term success.

It's pretty rare to see something on a scale such as Potterville be constructed before its actual theatrical run has officially finished. You're not gonna find many theme park projects like this deemed worthy of green light status until they're well past their final DVD release dates. An exception: Potter's neighbor, Jurassic Park, whose third release came after the park had officially opened.

I guarantee you the suits crunched the numbers, which to be honest, even a homeless dude could have figured out.

Harry Potter has had seven novels and a soon to be eighth film released. Not only was Potter, in it's original form (gasp, as a book!), a "landmark" offering with the cultural significance of inspiring kids to actually read again, it was able to maintain box office dominance over the span of a whole decade....which is unheard of. George Lucas didn't even pump out successful films at that rate. And speaking of which, Star Wars has what? A simulator ride and a themed weekend at MGM. Yeah.

So when you ask if Potter's popularity will be as "sustaining" as say, Jurassic Park, I would defer to the math of it all. Like Wes said, there's enough money wrapped up in it to make it relevant for quite some time.

Scott "obviously bored this morning to be thinking this hard" B.

NEWS: Universal Orlando announces Despicable and Major HD update to the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release announcing the Despicable Me experience set to replace Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast, as well as a major refurbishment of the insanely popular The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man attraction at Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Universal Orlando Resort today announced that its newest attraction will be based on Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment’s blockbuster 3-D-CGI feature “Despicable Me,” bringing minions, mayhem and a whole new level of 3-D family fun to its guests. The “Despicable Me” experience will replace the Jimmy Neutron attraction at Universal Studios Florida.

Universal also announced that The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, one of the greatest attractions in theme park history, will be completely reanimated in 4K digital high definition – once again redefining the theme park experience.

Both will open in 2012 and are being developed by the same award-winning Universal Creative team that has brought all of Universal Orlando’s spectacularly themed attractions to life. Both will utilize brand-new, highly sophisticated Infitec 3-D projection systems designed to make the experience sharper, clearer and more “real” than ever before.

DESPICABLE ME

With a worldwide gross of more than $540 million, 2010’s “Despicable Me,” from directors Chris Renaud & Pierre Coffin, is the sixth most successful film that Universal Pictures has ever distributed. It is now the 10th-biggest animated film in U.S. history. The 3-D animated adventure thrilled audiences across the globe with its outrageous humor, endearing characters and compelling storyline – all of which guests will be able to experience exclusively at Universal Orlando in 2012.

“Despicable Me” will become the first-ever Universal animated film to be transformed into a theme park experience. The Universal Creative team is working closely with producer Chris Meledandri, the founder of Illumination Entertainment, to create all-new animation for an all-new “Despicable Me” adventure that places guests right in the center of the action.

Gru, one of the world’s greatest super-villains, is bringing his high-tech empire – and his three adopted daughters – to Universal Studios, and he is looking for all the help he can get. First, he will transform guests into an army of mischievous, scene-stealing minions. Then he will train them. And that kicks off an unforgettable ride experience that creates a hysterical mix of chaos and family fun.

Guests will:

• laugh as they embark on an entirely-new, high-tech 3-D digital adventure with their favorite characters from the film – Gru, daughters Margo, Edith and Agnes, and of course, Gru’s not-so-bright pit crew, the minions
  • marvel as they explore Gru’s lair and descend into his secret lab
  • shriek as the entire family is transformed into minions
  • celebrate as they are swept into a first-ever, minion-inspired, interactive dance party where they can show off their best moves

“The ‘Despicable Me’ attraction is the latest example of how we tap into pop culture’s most compelling stories and turn them into extraordinary theme park entertainment,” said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative. “This is a perfect fit for Universal Orlando, and we can’t wait to bring this one-of-a-kind experience to life.”

“As we write, design and animate our films at Illumination, it is our singular goal to bring to life endearing and, hopefully, enduring characters,” said Chris Meledandri. “With the creation of next year’s ‘Despicable Me’ attraction at Universal Orlando, audiences will be able to immerse themselves in Gru’s world for many years to come.”

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF SPIDER-MAN

Already one of the most popular and innovative theme park attractions ever created, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Universal’s Islands of Adventure continues to raise the bar for theme park entertainment – combining advanced motion-based ride vehicles, 3-D digital film and live special effects to create an unparalleled ride experience. It is widely acknowledged as one of the best theme park experiences in the world – and it’s about to get mind-blowingly better.

The newly reanimated, high-definition experience will unfold within the attraction’s towering visual spaces – taking on even larger than larger-than-life proportions. The new digital animation – combined with the new Infitec system and new set enhancements – will transform what is already one of the most technologically advanced attractions ever created into what will feel like an all-new experience.

Facts about the enhanced ride experience:

• All-new digital animation done in 4K high definition – the highest HD resolution available
  • The new HD animation will allow guests to experience details they’ve never been able to before – from the flames spewing from Hobgoblin’s pumpkins to the electricity arching through Electro’s body to the stitching on Spider-Man’s gloves.
  • To take advantage of new HD clarity and detail, Universal Orlando is adding entirely new details to the film – and leaving it up to guests to find them.

“Guests will not believe their eyes when they experience the new Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man,” said Thierry Coup, senior vice president of the Universal Creative Studio. “We are talking about a larger-than-life environment and the HD animation will make it even more remarkable than it has been. It will seem brand-new.”

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=New_Attractions_at_Universal_Orlando_Resort_Opening_2012_k6bx[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Despicable_Me_Film_Clips_8rg9[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Chris_Meledandri_Sound_Bites_ry0n[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=New_Despicable_Me_Attraction_Coming_to_Universal_Orlando_Res_h34g[/coastertube]

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Universal_Orlando_Resort_-_Boogie_Fever_Flash_Mob_g41z[/coastertube]

image_571_dave4_high.jpg.560eae81a820801f7177d58f68d8d496.jpg

image_570_dave7_high.jpg.d3f7e5b117df854a55c9a65b982cb655.jpg

image_568_dave3_high.jpg.c143b2322eb58b2050946bee123b1a53.jpg

image_567_dave6_high.jpg.7620524df9b8c05de60cac5786346751.jpg

image_566_dave1_high.jpg.57fb6c377db56a11515c3ca47776c173.jpg

image_565_dave9_high.jpg.96d386c4346a3f6b90c81bec6eb64d36.jpg

image_563_dave5_high.jpg.1599b25235151a80cd5eec459fa3b1c1.jpg

image_562_dave8_high.jpg.90a0182992f8b98723ed67ae4fde9d3f.jpg

image_564_dave2_high.jpg.f982960ca1420df9cca8b173e03e5994.jpg

image_561_dave10_high.jpg.5af034c5950baad523efe0afd831a1e5.jpg

image_569_newspidey_high.jpg.409d3e788e25936d81e88117b666c546.jpg

Look at all of that detail!

Edited by Moose

Two thoughts on this.

1. I hope they keep the chicken dance part of Jimmy Neutron, that is still one of the most WTF moments on any ride!!!!

2. Finding the slightly changed details should be interesting on Spiderman...perhaps we'll see something change with 'Not an Exit'.

Was really hoping for an east coast Kong 360-3D, but I'm glad they're somewhat modernizing their line-up at the park. Now I'm more excited over the Spiderman treatment than the other..

I saw Despicable Me on disc and thought it was OK. I liked the Gru character, but I wished they'd build a better movie around him, and didn't care for the Minions. But they could make a good simulator ride out of it to replace JImmy Neutron.

I'm glad they're freshening up Spider-man. It's still the best ride at IOA, but a redo with newer technology should make it even better.

Edited by cfc

I guess this is an indication that Universal are quite keen to hold onto their Marvel properties even if Disney own them.

Can't wait to see how the new and improved Spider-Man looks. Though I'll get to see it in Japanese before that!